'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 19, 2013 12:09 pm

There's still any debate about Fleury? There's only three circumstances in which they should make the switch.

1) Vokoun gets hurt.

2) Vokoun starts to really struggle. I don't think one bad game is grounds for replacement either.

3) The Pens find themselves in trouble and need a spark. Again, losing one game right now isn't going to do that.

It continues to sound insane to me anytime someone suggests going back to Fleury without cause. Vokoun, and the team in general, are doing better since the switch. Playoffs aren't experimenting time. Go with what's working.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun May 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 12m
Eaton comes off with regulars, strong sign he'll replace Engelland, who's still on the ice. #TribHKY
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 pm

That's good. I'd much rather Eaton be playing than Engelland. You can make a case for Despres over Eaton if they need help moving the puck out of their zone. There's no way you can convince me that Engelland is a better choice than Eaton in a playoff game.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 pm

columbia wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 12m
Eaton comes off with regulars, strong sign he'll replace Engelland, who's still on the ice. #TribHKY

That's a good move by HCDB and his staff. Dejan thinks Sens are done, and he sticks it out there in his article. Can't say that I disagree, however the opportunities were there, the Sens were getting chances. I see Pens failures being the only chance for Ottawa, barring Anderson becoming a (name of any former playoff goalie who plays the series of their careers to oust Pens :roll: )
Last edited by Penspal on Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Henry Hank wrote:That's good. I'd much rather Eaton be playing than Engelland. You can make a case for Despres over Eaton if they need help moving the puck out of their zone. There's no way you can convince me that Engelland is a better choice than Eaton in a playoff game.

One of Blysma's great mysteries.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 pm

No way you want to get caught with Murray and Engo on the ice for a defensive zone faceoff on the road in the playoffs. It's been a safe bet from before game 1 that Engo was only getting ice time at home. I like Eaton in this matchup as much as I liked Despres in the matchup vs the Isles.

Defensive zone faceoffs are, to me, the biggest key in playoff road games.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 pm

No Jumpin Joe tonight..... Jussitime
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun May 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Given that Blysma is not going to change up who's in his bottom 6, I'd like to see him switch the lines around a little, and go with:

Morrow-Vitale-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

I'd play each equally. Vitale-Kennedy have really been strong on the forecheck, and with a guy like Morrow on their line, I think they could start putting the puck in the net. But primarily their role would be to create energy.

Moving Cooke and Adams back to their normal positions increases their effectiveness, while establishing that line as primarily a checking line.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun May 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Just saw the tweet about Vitale being out tonight. So...

Morrow-Jokinen-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

Except Blysma in his great genius is going to replace our top faceoff guy with Tanner Glass for a road game...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 pm

pcm wrote:Just saw the tweet about Vitale being out tonight. So...

Morrow-Jokinen-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

Except Blysma in his great genius is going to replace our top faceoff guy with Tanner Glass for a road game...

Was just saying the exact same thing.

We lose a 60% faceoff guy, and replace him with Adams and his 40%....when we could easily insert Jokinen at 60%.

Glass doesn't need to play, Jokinen centering Adams and Kennedy is a decent 4th line....not sure why Glass gets the spot over JJ. To take care of Neil? Sure, okay.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:02 pm

pcm wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:That's good. I'd much rather Eaton be playing than Engelland. You can make a case for Despres over Eaton if they need help moving the puck out of their zone. There's no way you can convince me that Engelland is a better choice than Eaton in a playoff game.

One of Blysma's great mysteries.

It's a road game, and opposing skill players can expose Engelland quite easily, whereas it's more difficult to do that with Eaton, because other than his offensive ineptitude, there are no glaring holes in his game. I'd never want Engo out there when the opposing coach has the last change.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:05 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pcm wrote:Just saw the tweet about Vitale being out tonight. So...

Morrow-Jokinen-Kennedy
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

Was just saying the exact same thing.

We lose a 60% faceoff guy, and replace him with Adams and his 40%....when we could easily insert Jokinen at 60%.

Glass doesn't need to play, Jokinen centering Adams and Kennedy is a decent 4th line....not sure why Glass gets the spot over JJ. To take care of Neil? Sure, okay.

Couldn't agree more. Ottawa can only seem to score if there's a shot from the point and a scrum around the net. The best way to prevent those is to win draws in the defensive zone. Doing with Glass over Jussi could easily turn out to cost the Pens a game.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:12 pm

I like Jokinen in the lineup because he can also play all three forward positions. He can jump in on wing if there's an injury, be the second forward to take a faceoff should a center get thrown out of the circle, and so on.

But what do I know?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Doing with Glass over Jussi could easily turn out to cost the Pens a game.

It's way too minor a thing to cost them a game. We're talking about the 11th or 12th forward here. It may help contribute to a loss, but in and of itself this is not going to make a difference. This series isn't close enough for that.

I get the arguments about faceoffs. Clearly, Bylsma is putting more importance on grit than faceoffs in this case.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 pm

He has been putting Sid out there for important faceoffs then getting him off the ice quickly.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, here's my guess at why HCDB went with Glass or Jokinen...

The Sens are a tough team. Taking out Engelland, who has been brutal, and replacing him with Eaton equal a pretty concerning loss of toughness in the lineup. Therefore, it wouldn't make much sense to replace someone like Vitale, who might be injured, with someone who's not going to help make up the toughness quotient for the Pens.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Jokinen can't really contribute to the bottom six in terms of grinding in the offensive zone and maintaining a cycle. Glass out there could also, theoretically, keep Chris Neil in check.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sun May 19, 2013 3:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Jokinen can't really contribute to the bottom six in terms of grinding in the offensive zone and maintaining a cycle. Glass out there could also, theoretically, keep Chris Neil in check.

I like Juicy, but he's overrated on LGP. He can chip-in with some scoring as a top-6 forward as he was in Carolina until this year and is lethal on face-offs. A grinder he isn't and he's not really a two-way forward. Playing him at center is also a risk because his time with the Canes he played wing and they used him on some faceoffs but not really as a center. He's not a natural center by any means and his linemates if he plays on the 3rd or 4th line aren't named Eric Staal or Jeff Skinner.

If DB wants to get him in the line up, it had better be as a winger and not center. I'd rather see Glass. He hits like a truck and will engage with Chris Neil and Pens don't need offense right now from their bottom lines; they need to just play it hard and tough, which they have been doing on those lines so far.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm

glass will play about 6 minutes tonight. it will be a largely irrelevant decision
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins