OFFIGIAL GDT 5/19/13: EASTERN SEMI GAME 3: PENS @ SENS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFIGIAL GDT 5/19/13: EASTERN SEMI GAME 3: PENS @ SENS

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 am

bhaw wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Wow Canadian hockey people bashed a Russian. That sure is new isn't it?

And I don't care what your sources are and they probably aren't even real. Malkin was a beast all over the ice tonight. That includes the defensive end. If you don't think he was, you simply hate him and nothing he does will ever be good enough for you.

And no player in the NHL has low hockey IQ. Not one.

Yeah it's because they're Canadian, THATS WHY. Wow.

Malkin was great tonight, who denied that? I said his clueless play took over when the Sens score to tie it. I never once said he was horrible tonight. Not sure where you're getting that from.

The guy is a talent, he just lacks hockey smarts. Him and Kris Norris Letang.

So when he's great, there is no Hockey IQ? It just happens? This is a super dumb argument that even the novice posters can see through. Unless you are claiming that he just dominates on true talent but all his mistakes are due to lack of hockey IQ. In which case, you are trying to drum up a stupid argument, which clearly appears to be the case. Come back with something useful to talk about instead of regurgitating Don Cherry type arguments about Malkin's play.

Exactly. When Malkin is making great plays and creating chances all game, that is just his talent. Has nothing to do with IQ. But.....when he makes a mistake. Its because he is brain dead and his hockey IQ is really low.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 am

People will soon realize that Malkin is a great hockey player, just not a a really smart one. He retaliates in stupid ways, he has a history of taking a ton of horrible penalties (although he's been good lately), he has boneheaded turnovers, and has a tendency to float in the defensive zone at times. He can be a beast in the defensive zone, and he can be a huge liability. Consistency in the defensive zone would go a long way for him.

Letang is much the same. Bad temper, takes bad penalties, gets rattled and drawn into stuff just like Malkin does. He has horrible turnovers, piss poor defensive play at times, can't make decisions on the PP, hits too many shin pads still, misses the net too often still, and can't read and react very well throughout the game. Tons of talent, amazing skill and skater, just not high up there in the hockey sense department.

Now everyone can freak out and defend them, but more and more people are starting to realize this. I'm not trying to convince you, I know I won't. You'll eventually start to see it too. I love having these guys, they just have to be smarter.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 am

Scott wrote:How did those top two lines do? How many nice chances did that top line have tonight? Again, zero and zero

I'm not sure how to respond if this was your take of the game. Honestly, I don't know what to say. Pens pretty much dominated Ottawa in terms of chances. Maybe you missed Dupuis drilling the post. Maybe you missed a couple great plays by Malkin and his line. I can't respond if this is what you took away. It would be pointless for us to debate at this point.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

And there is not ONE player in the NHL that has low hockey IQ. Not one single player. You do not get to that level by not knowing the game well. Its impossible.

The low hockey IQ is the dumbest argument ever.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 am

The Pens PP with a minute left is pretty much the hockey equivalent of getting Hurdled.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 am

farnham16 wrote:And there is not ONE player in the NHL that has low hockey IQ. Not one single player. You do not get to that level by not knowing the game well. Its impossible.

Okay, sure.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon May 20, 2013 12:30 am

*How many odd-man rushes tonight where we didnt even get a shot off?

*How many times did Neal fall down?

*How many times did Neal miss the net by 10 feet as he busted into the zone with speed?

*Somewhat quiet game from Sid

*Missed Vitale's speed and hustle

*Not sure why the best PP in the playoffs gets tinkered with so much.

*Going to be a long wait until Wednesday

*Iginla is struggling so much at even strength it's mind boggling. Some puck possession tonight but if he changes jerseys he could pass for Dustin zheffrey or Aaron Asham. Doesn't look like a HOFer when the puck is on his stick.

*If you don't score on a 5-on-3 you usually lose.

*Jussi is hurt (as many in media speculated). Glass doesn't play over him if everyone is healthy. Jussi was our best deadline acquisition (statistically) since deadline day.

*Vokoun was amazing. He's now lost just twice in his last 16 games I believe...

*That Sens win is the type of win that turns series' around and starts "team of destiny" crap. Really disappointed we are not on top of the world up 3-0 right now. It will be a loooong wait until Wednesday. OTT was in their death beds and were given a second chance at life. Imagine how awesome they feel right now. Hopefully they dont carry any momentum info game 4.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 am

bhaw wrote:
Scott wrote:How did those top two lines do? How many nice chances did that top line have tonight? Again, zero and zero

I'm not sure how to respond if this was your take of the game. Honestly, I don't know what to say. Pens pretty much dominated Ottawa in terms of chances. Maybe you missed Dupuis drilling the post. Maybe you missed a couple great plays by Malkin and his line. I can't respond if this is what you took away. It would be pointless for us to debate at this point.

Yep. Malkin had an absolutely dominant game. Unfortunately, Crosby looked rather pedestrian at even strength (he still had some really nice plays). It happens.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 am

no idea how people let letang and kunitz off scot free on the goal. letang was horrible on that play as well and kunitz basically gave up on the play at the blue line
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 am

murphydump55 wrote:People will soon realize that Malkin is a great hockey player, just not a a really smart one. He retaliates in stupid ways, he has a history of taking a ton of horrible penalties (although he's been good lately), he has boneheaded turnovers, and has a tendency to float in the defensive zone at times. He can be a beast in the defensive zone, and he can be a huge liability. Consistency in the defensive zone would go a long way for him.

Letang is much the same. Bad temper, takes bad penalties, gets rattled and drawn into stuff just like Malkin does. He has horrible turnovers, piss poor defensive play at times, can't make decisions on the PP, hits too many shin pads still, misses the net too often still, and can't read and react very well throughout the game. Tons of talent, amazing skill and skater, just not high up there in the hockey sense department.

Now everyone can freak out and defend them, but more and more people are starting to realize this. I'm not trying to convince you, I know I won't. You'll eventually start to see it too. I love having these guys, they just have to be smarter.

:lol:

Yup, they have the same tendencies of every other star in the NHL. Weird... that's like, mind blowing, man. You have stumbled upon the greatest hockey revelation ever! Star offensive players aren't the best defensive players? Dude... you should write a paper on this. Earth shattering stuff... really. It took you watching Canadian hockey broadcasts to figure this out though? What's your hockey IQ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, none of this relates to the amount of time they have the puck vs the typical player. None at all. I mean, if you carry the puck more than 95% of the players in the NHL, it would be absurd for you to have more turnovers, right? This is like a logical mind- **** right now. I can't believe you figured this out all by yourself.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 am

murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:And there is not ONE player in the NHL that has low hockey IQ. Not one single player. You do not get to that level by not knowing the game well. Its impossible.

Okay, sure.

Yeah, see how many people agree with me and how many agree with you buddy.

If you want to have the discussion about some players having higher hockey IQ than other players, then let's have that discussion.

But that's not what you are talking about. You are talking about the highest level players in the NHL being stupid and not knowing the game.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you regroup and try real hard to come up with a new theory. Because the one you keep spewing here every single day just makes you look really stupid.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 am

We've been on the other side of games like this thru the years. We're still up. What a performance by Vokoun
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 am

Anderson made 49 saves, several of the very good to great variety, so the offense was coming from somewhere.

Two goalies played great - only one can win. For me, the biggest dissapointment was that Vokoun didn't get the win and shutout. A couple of the Pens screwed up on that tying goal - they only needed to work hard for 30 more seconds, that's it.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 20, 2013 12:35 am

I love reading the gdt after a loss like this.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 20, 2013 12:36 am

With 2 days off before Game 4 the over under for flame wars here has been set at 14.5.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am

In other news--some dudebro on HF just said that we play hockey like the '94 Devils. L-O-****ing-L.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am

Steve wrote:Anderson made 49 saves, several of the very good to great variety, so the offense was coming from somewhere.

Two goalies played great - only one can win. For me, the biggest dissapointment was that Vokoun didn't get the win and shutout. A couple of the Pens screwed up on that tying goal - they only needed to work hard for 30 more seconds, that's it.

30 more seconds and the series was over. Done. That's what really burns. This wasnt game 1 or 2. This was a chance to go up 3-0 and end this thing. At 2-1 you have to be on the edge of your seat in game 4 because if you lose all bets are off.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:We've been on the other side of games like this thru the years. We're still up. What a performance by Vokoun

Agreed. This was a good game, despite the loss. It's not like losing to the Isles 6-4. Pens played their asses off and had 2 brain farts. Both cost them.

As I said in a previous post: if they play like this every game, they take 3 out of every 4 easily.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am

farnham16 wrote:
And once again, if you think any player in the NHL has low hockey IQ, let alone players like Malkin and Letang, then you simply do not know anything about hockey and what it takes to get to that level.

Not so fast there. Malkin might not be the least intelligent hockey player ever but he will never build a rocket or nuclear weapon for sure. He does make some choices on the ice at times that make everyone go :face: along with his plays that make everyone go :D

But don't think for one second that players can't get to the highest of sporting levels with athletic talent alone because they can. Football, baseball, basketball, and yes even hockey. If you have that much physical talent like Malkin does....if you are that much of an amzing skater like Letang is....yes you will make it to the highest level...regardless of intelligence.

Need some examples?
Football? 6'4" 245# 40 yard dash time of 4.4 someone is going to draft you.
baseball? Throw a baseball 92-95 mph ..even a little less for a lefty... you are getting drafted
basketball? height? can shoot? can run fast? can pass? getting drafted!

hockey? if you are an elite skater you are getting a look. If you are an elite skater and can do a couple other things you will get drafted very high.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I love reading the gdt after a loss like this.

It does contain some of the most rational thoughts on the internet.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 am

Scott wrote:
hockey? if you are an elite skater you are getting a look. If you are an elite skater and can do a couple other things you will get drafted very high.

I'm assuming that's not your assessment of Malkin though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 am

Scott wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
And once again, if you think any player in the NHL has low hockey IQ, let alone players like Malkin and Letang, then you simply do not know anything about hockey and what it takes to get to that level.

Not so fast there. Malkin might not be the least intelligent hockey player ever but he will never build a rocket or nuclear weapon for sure. He does make some choices on the ice at times that make everyone go :face: along with his plays that make everyone go :D

But don't think for one second that players can't get to the highest of sporting levels with athletic talent alone because they can. Football, baseball, basketball, and yes even hockey. If you have that much physical talent like Malkin does....if you are that much of an amzing skater like Letang is....yes you will make it to the highest level...regardless of intelligence.

Need some examples?
Football? 6'4" 245# 40 yard dash time of 4.4 someone is going to draft you.
baseball? Throw a baseball 92-95 mph ..even a little less for a lefty... you are getting drafted
basketball? height? can shoot? can run fast? can pass? getting drafted!

Nope. Doesn't apply to hockey. Guys in the NHL have been playing hockey their entire lives. Not like some football or basketball players who just start playing their senior year in high school. Hockey is a different sport in this regard.

Every single guy in the NHL has been playing his entire life. Its impossible to make it to the NHL and not know the game well. Impossible.
Last edited by farnham16 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 am

bhaw wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:We've been on the other side of games like this thru the years. We're still up. What a performance by Vokoun

Agreed. This was a good game, despite the loss. It's not like losing to the Isles 6-4. Pens played their asses off and had 2 brain farts. Both cost them.

As I said in a previous post: if they play like this every game, they take 3 out of every 4 easily.

Thanks. I was really sad for the first hour and im not normally this calm. I def wont be on Wednesday. But this isnt like the Isles series I really really think the Pens are too good for these guys. It really sucks to lose the way we did but in the end we're still up. If it hits 2-2 then I'll start freakin
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 12:46 am

In order for sid and Malkin to make the plays they do, they have to know what the other players they are skating through are likely to do. It's not like Malkin just makes a move out of divine intervention and it works out. If you want to claim his defensive awareness isn't great, I'd first say "Compared to what?" but that's the only place an argument applies. His hockey IQ needs to be ridiculously high to know when to split the D vs cut outside and deke vs shoot. Guys with low hockey IQ take slap shots from 60 feet out b/c they don't know what else to do.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:In other news--some dudebro on HF just said that we play hockey like the '94 Devils. L-O-****ing-L.

The 1994 Devils won the cup in a lockout shortened season? 8-)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins