Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 am

Come on Dan 1:27 on the clock you got a power play protecting a 1-0 lead..... He should of had Duper, Sutter Morrow Martin and Orpik in the ice. Not our PP unit.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 7:52 am

If you put a pp unit out, run it like a pp. If you're gonna send a one man forecheck and line up 4 in the defensive half, send the appropriate personnel out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am

"Bylsma" always makes me think of Pepto-Bismol, which coincidentally helped me go to sleep last night.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 am

If you play to protect a lead, you likely lose the game. I agree though if you were considering being completely defensive, why put nothing but skill guys out there?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 am

When reading this title. This came to my mind.

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Woody on Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If you put a pp unit out, run it like a pp. If you're gonna send a one man forecheck and line up 4 in the defensive half, send the appropriate personnel out.

Exactly. Just a horrible coaching mistake. I'm fine with Crosby along with 4 other defensively responsible players, but having Malkin, Letang and Kunitz anywhere near that situation is an example of either stupidity or arrogance. Ruins what was an otherwise very good effort by Malkin the entire night IMO. Like I said in the other thread, sometimes you need help and common sense from the guy behind the bench. They didn't get it at the most important time and it really shouldn't have been a tough decision.
Woody

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 am

In a way, I have a hard time blaming that defensive lapse on the players. They weren't put in the best situation given what they wanted to do. That being said, yowza.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:14 am

I would have went:
Crosby
Adams
Dupuis or Cooke
Martin
Orpik

But what do I really know
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

CERV96 wrote:I would have went:
Crosby
Adams
Dupuis or Cooke
Martin
Orpik

But what do I really know

More than Dan B.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 am

You can argue this till you're blue in the face, which some of you, I'm sure, will do.

The personal didn't fit the plan in hindsight. Execution by the players on the ice share equal blame in this. The best plan in the world will be a waste if poor execution. Not saying the coach shouldn't get any blame, but this is just going to turn into a beating a dead horse thread.

Give the Sens (especially Anderson) credit. Not easy to keep this team to 1 goal for 4.5 periods.

If Pens score on other PP chances or the 5 on 3, the end of the game isn't even a story. You can look at this moment in a vacuum all you want, but there are a dozen other moments in the game both by Anderson and Vokoun and lack of moments by both teams that lead to the end of regulation even being a factor.

Luckily, players forget faster than fans, we got an extra day to rest, and go out and try to get win number 3 again.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 8:35 am

Beveridge wrote:You can argue this till you're blue in the face, which some of you, I'm sure, will do.

The personal didn't fit the plan in hindsight. Execution by the players on the ice share equal blame in this. The best plan in the world will be a waste if poor execution. Not saying the coach shouldn't get any blame, but this is just going to turn into a beating a dead horse thread.

Give the Sens (especially Anderson) credit. Not easy to keep this team to 1 goal for 4.5 periods.

If Pens score on other PP chances or the 5 on 3, the end of the game isn't even a story. You can look at this moment in a vacuum all you want, but there are a dozen other moments in the game both by Anderson and Vokoun and lack of moments by both teams that lead to the end of regulation even being a factor.

Luckily, players forget faster than fans, we got an extra day to rest, and go out and try to get win number 3 again.

I still don't think this series goes anymore than 6 games.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 am

I still don't think it gets to 6. I predicted Anderson would steal 1 game and this was it. For a while, I thought the Sens were going to lose the game that he "stole" which would have been hilarious. All this means is my mom can make some money of my game 5 tickets. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 am

The question should be what Kunitz, Letang, and Malkin were thinking.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 am

Personnel and approach was certainly bizarre. Doesn't really explain the player's actions on the ice, however. By simply staying in their positions, the Pens are up 3-0 in the series.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 am

Gaucho wrote:The question should be what Kunitz, Letang, and Malkin were thinking.

They were probably thinking Martin would play his position.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 am

pfim wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The question should be what Kunitz, Letang, and Malkin were thinking.

Yeah...Martin coming across screwed everything up. That was something you'd expect Orpik or Letang to do.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 am

pfim wrote:

Yup, I am surprised more people aren't talking about him rushing the point for no reason.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 8:48 am

Haven't read through many of the threads yet, no one's talking about Martin's role in the play? The entire play happens because of him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am

I think everyone is afraid to bash the guy with the season he has had. I for one will call it like I see it. Martin screwed the pooch here. A centers job is to cover 200 feet. If someone is out of position it is his job to cover not Letangs. So I guess by this theory all 3 screwed the pooch? When I have played center and I would see one of the guys on the ice not where they are supposed to be in the defensive zone I slide in to their spot.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

It was weird that Paul Martin did that and he's not blame-less, at all. But Letang doesn't react to it and Malkin doesn't do his job either. When Martin slides all the way across like that to force the play, Letang has two reads: did they put the puck in deep? If so, retrieve and exit. If not, shade a little more to the middle because there will be no one in the middle of the ice otherwise.

Evgeni Malkin (inexplicably out there if the game plan was 1-4 the blueline), who was involved at both ends all night, just sleeps through the play...

All in all, lots of players watching. No one taking an active role in winning. When Martin slides over, everyone has time to react and fix the situation. I understand what Martin was thinking was there, but it's just a total BS-ful minute in there. The players out there in general, the execution, the whole thing...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

All five guys, ALL FIVE, were literally standing still watching the puck. It was a meltdown of epic proportions.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 am

Jesse wrote:All five guys, ALL FIVE, were literally standing still watching the puck. It was a meltdown of epic proportions.

Yep, plenty of blame to go around. Just a collective brain fart at the worst possible time.

Also, that was a miracle tip by Alfie.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Jesse wrote:All five guys, ALL FIVE, were literally standing still watching the puck. It was a meltdown of epic proportions.

I get the team played it poorly, I really do, just tough to see anything else when Alfredsson skates right into the space that Martin vacated. Seemed like 4 guys were content trying to run out the clock and one guy didn't get the memo.

And I'm certainly no expert as far as tactics go, the furthest from the truth, but up a man I don't see how you can pressure with just one forechecker. Seems to breed the type of puck-watching you aptly described.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 am

Thats the biggest thing that bothered me, they shoudl have someone supporting that forecheck with the other at the top of the zone and the defensemen in the defensive zone. Its how they usually play and its not over committing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am

The personnel out there would dictate that we are going to play "four corners" with the puck. Otherwise, Malkin wouldn't be out there, and Kunitz might have been replaced by Dupuis.

The instruction was 1-4 and stack the blueline. The Penguins thought and even Martin's thought, was force the play at the line and force them to put into the corner...the Letang corner. Should be an easy pick (at the line) and retrieval by Letang. Exit the zone 5-on-5 with an empty net ahead. It should work out for us.

Unfortunately, too many players were waiting for the puck to come to them...namely 71 and 58 and they were just sitting, waiting, wishing...

EDIT: The 1-4 was the choice because of the clear possession for the Senators coming out of the zone. The goal of the 1-4 is to make Ottawa surrender the puck. And generally it's effective. It's tough to enter the zone in any meaningful way against a 1-4...unless, everyone on the other team is standing still and watching the play unfold, of course. Then it's a walk right down Main St. to the net. As we painfully saw...
Last edited by mikey287 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins