Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Postby pcm on Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 am

MRandall25 wrote:I'm still wondering as to why they decided to leave the area behind their net when there was no pressure from the Sens. Could've waited there for another :45 and we wouldn't be having this conversation. There weren't any Sens beyond center ice. Literally no reason to take the puck up the ice.

Because this team needed to learn a lesson of bitter defeat in order to play till the horn sounds. It'll come in handy later, when the stakes are higher.

Spoiler:
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 11:42 am

CERV96 wrote:Here is an interesting question which has not been asked and I am actually shocked it has not been asked. Where was Sid? If the game is on the line I want my best player out there. Was he out there and came off early? I can't remember.

He had just come off the ice after a 30 second shift.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 am

pfim wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Here is an interesting question which has not been asked and I am actually shocked it has not been asked. Where was Sid? If the game is on the line I want my best player out there. Was he out there and came off early? I can't remember.

He had just come off the ice after a 30 second shift.

I figured it was something like that just wasn't sure.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 am

pfim wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The personnel out there would dictate that we are going to play "four corners" with the puck. Otherwise, Malkin wouldn't be out there, and Kunitz might have been replaced by Dupuis.

The instruction was 1-4 and stack the blueline. The Penguins thought and even Martin's thought, was force the play at the line and force them to put into the corner...the Letang corner. Should be an easy pick (at the line) and retrieval by Letang. Exit the zone 5-on-5 with an empty net ahead. It should work out for us.

Unfortunately, too many players were waiting for the puck to come to them...namely 71 and 58 and they were just sitting, waiting, wishing...

EDIT: The 1-4 was the choice because of the clear possession for the Senators coming out of the zone. The goal of the 1-4 is to make Ottawa surrender the puck. And generally it's effective. It's tough to enter the zone in any meaningful way against a 1-4...unless, everyone on the other team is standing still and watching the play unfold, of course. Then it's a walk right down Main St. to the net. As we painfully saw...

So this is interesting. If the goal is to funnel the puck to Letang's corner, and Gonchar is heading to that corner, I can see why Letang was anticipating the puck being there. I mean, perhaps he shouldn't cheat like that, but if he felt he had help behind him, then it makes sense to me. How many times a game does your defensive partner skate right in front of you to your side of the ice when the puck enters the defensive zone?

Malkin was slow to come back for sure, but Martin creates a de facto 3 on 2 (Gonchar, Phillips, Alfredsson vs Letang and Malkin) for no reason. If you want to throw Malkin under the bus further, you call it a 3 on 1. Just my uneducated 2 cents.

End of the day, there was nothing at all to like about the play.

Yeah, your last line sums it up. We can sit here and tear it apart limb from limb, but Ottawa deserves some credit too. Could we have prevented that? Probably. But not definitely. It's not like it was 3 on 5 and they scored. It was 5 on 5 in desperation time.

But yeah, you'll almost never see a play like Martin made there, especially from a composed, positional defenseman like Martin...there was obviously a plan in place to force the puck out of Ottawa's hands and into our mobile, puck-handling defenseman's hands...he gets the puck in the corner, swings the net, Ottawa has a lot of players on the soon-to-be weak side of the ice, Letang skates, puts it off glass, Malkin is at center, picks it up and scores from 61 feet out.

It's unfortunate. But we had a chance to finish it out in regulation, we had chances in OT, we had chances to go up 2-0. Just gotta get to Anderson early in game 4, get him rattled again, make him doubt himself and the series is ours for the taking.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am

Yeah, your last line sums it up. We can sit here and tear it apart limb from limb, but Ottawa deserves some credit too. Could we have prevented that? Probably. But not definitely. It's not like it was 3 on 5 and they scored. It was 5 on 5 in desperation time.

Agreed it was 5 on 5 and not powerplay time. You hit it right on the money. So why if it is 5 on 5 was our top powerplay unit out there??? Sutter and Crosby to take the draw if one guy gets thrown out of the dot. Orpik and Martin to defend the point. Then Adams or Duper to burry the puck in the corner.

Was Dan thinking put your puck possession guys out there hoping to just pass it around to kill the clock. And i don't buy the "in hindsight" argument. Cause i was yelling at the television befor the face off questioning why the hell he choose thoes guys to be on the ice.

Just so fustrating. just laughed when they scored its like i could see it happening.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I actually wasn't bothered by the guys they had on the ice. The first time the puck was down in there end and Kunitz was pressuring, I liked what I saw. Then the camera panned back and I saw no one supporting him....then it panned back more and i still didn't see anyone. The anger built then and sustained right through the goal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Mistakes were made.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I actually wasn't bothered by the guys they had on the ice. The first time the puck was down in there end and Kunitz was pressuring, I liked what I saw. Then the camera panned back and I saw no one supporting him....then it panned back more and i still didn't see anyone. The anger built then and sustained right through the goal.

This is exactly what happened to me. I know some think the Pens should have just held the puck behind their net and let Ottawa force the action. But that could easily have led to a turnover in a dangerous area.

I was OK with the rush and dump. Just not the total prevent. I literally said out loud, "Where is everyone?" as the camera panned back.

As others said, hopefully this is a just a "lesson" we look back on.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penscup on Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, your last line sums it up. We can sit here and tear it apart limb from limb, but Ottawa deserves some credit too. Could we have prevented that? Probably. But not definitely. It's not like it was 3 on 5 and they scored. It was 5 on 5 in desperation time.

Credit the other team for a brilliant hockey play? Have you gone mad?!?!

LGP will tear their own coach and players to pieces before they wake up and recognize the other team is capable of making great plays too.

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Credit Ottawa, ok for our coach handing them the game on a silver platter. Way to go Ottawa hope we didn't make it to easy on you. I am sorry you can look at the defensive laspse and do all the x's and o's stuff but i feel if Orpik was out there he would of been in position to never let that play develop.

It wasn't a power play it was a 5 on 5 situation after they pulled their goalie and should of been handled as such.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 12:46 pm

penscup wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Yeah, your last line sums it up. We can sit here and tear it apart limb from limb, but Ottawa deserves some credit too. Could we have prevented that? Probably. But not definitely. It's not like it was 3 on 5 and they scored. It was 5 on 5 in desperation time.

LGP will tear their own coach and players to pieces before they wake up and recognize the other team is capable of making great plays too.

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!

No one can objectively say that Ottawa did anything more than take the great opportunity that the Pens gave them and run with it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
penscup wrote:

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!

No one can objectively say that Ottawa did anything more than take the great opportunity that the Pens gave them and run with it.

Yes, I see that there's another team on the ice and they were desperate to boot, but I don't think they worked for that goal so much as we give it to them. If the Pens do their job, play keep away, or even just rag it around for 28 seconds, then we're all reveling this morning instead of polishing our pitchforks.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon May 20, 2013 2:25 pm

DB had the EXACT personnel on the ice to hold the puck in the O-zone and keep Anderson on the ice. I'd bet a dime to a dollar he instructed them as such. If he told them to play prevent, he would have had different forwards on the ice. In fact, they seemed to be changing out lines once the Sens got control from the dump.
They players simply screwed the pooch by playing like the last minute was just a formality.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Robert McNamara wrote:Mistakes were made.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:DB had the EXACT personnel on the ice to hold the puck in the O-zone and keep Anderson on the ice. I'd bet a dime to a dollar he instructed them as such. If he told them to play prevent, he would have had different forwards on the ice. In fact, they seemed to be changing out lines once the Sens got control from the dump.
They players simply screwed the pooch by playing like the last minute was just a formality.

Well, I've never coached at the NHL level, so I can't speak for them. But even at the lower levels that I've coached at, I always give at least two sets of instructions (if this, then this...if that, then this instead...). It seems likely that they were going to keep the puck with that personnel. If they lost possession clean, they were likely told to go 1-4 and protect the blueline and get them to cough up the puck...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:DB had the EXACT personnel on the ice to hold the puck in the O-zone and keep Anderson on the ice. I'd bet a dime to a dollar he instructed them as such. If he told them to play prevent, he would have had different forwards on the ice. In fact, they seemed to be changing out lines once the Sens got control from the dump.

So he put the powerplay unit out there during a powerplay, told them to go possess the puck, and they ignored their instincts and instructions and sent one man in to the offensive zone to try to possess the puck? Ok.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon May 20, 2013 2:41 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Well, I've never coached at the NHL level, so I can't speak for them. But even at the lower levels that I've coached at, I always give at least two sets of instructions (if this, then this...if that, then this instead...). It seems likely that they were going to keep the puck with that personnel. If they lost possession clean, they were likely told to go 1-4 and protect the blueline and get them to cough up the puck...

Sounds reasonable. In that scenario, I still opine that the optimal personnel was out there for Plan A, and that personnel was more than competent to handle Plan B. Bottom line, scapegoating DB is as lazy as Kunitz's dump-in.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

the pens are an offensive powerhouse, which is there best strength, and if we go into defensive zombie mode...that caused a huge imbalance resulting in a goal on OUR powerplay. Instead of pounding their defense, some reason (maybe Byslma told them so) we decided to just watch the sens come after us so we can just push the puck away....very weak. This kind of slack ended the leafs, ended our game, and ended Vokoun well-deserved shutout. I was just appalled.
nhl94

Postby penny lane on Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 7m

“It’s just 1 game…It was a long game, everyone played a lot of mins. It’s time to regroup, refresh & get ready for the next” –Brenden Morrow

I love this guy.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon May 20, 2013 6:23 pm

There's no reasonable excuse to not have 44 and 7 on D and some combination of 27/16/9/24 up front. None.

That's what you should have done if it were even, and it's what you should have done when it wasn't.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:There's no reasonable excuse to not have 44 and 7 on D and some combination of 27/16/9/24 up front. None.

That's what you should have done if it were even, and it's what you should have done when it wasn't.

This.

We can blame the players all day long, and they deserve plenty of blame for it.

But the bottom line is, if HCDB CHOOSES to not play PP... then there is no reason to put those guys on the ice. You go with your most defensively responsible players.

I'm hoping as a fan, that this will merely be a blip on the radar of the Pens winning this series.

You don't often get the chance to grab a all-but-series-over choke-hold on a team with a 3-0 lead. Throwing it away, and let's be honest that's what they did, is something that simply cannot happen. It changes the entire complexion of this series from fait accompli Pens win, into now having to deal with an Ottawa team that believes. Big difference. I felt Ottawa wins this in 7, and was looking to be dead wrong. Now it might be closer than it had to be.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

What he really was thinking that we would loose this game then win game 4. Series shifts to Consol for game 5 which means much more $$$$$$$$ for Mario n the city of Pittsburgh to bask in. Shhhhhhhh (Doing the Talbot ) you didn't hear it on here.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Mon May 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Speaking of Mario, I'd love to get the gif of him slapping the table last night on the NBC feed after Phillips got called for a penalty against Cooke in OT. I'm pretty sure Nathalie had a fist pump too.

Can anyone manage this?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm

it was an inexcusable move by the coaches and a horrible one at that. I dont see why we needed to sit back the whole period and basically protect the lead, a one goal lead, for 20 minutes. We are not the devils. It all started from that and we should have been more aggressive and built up a 2 or 3 goal lead then you can sit back a little but when you play not to lose you usually will lose.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 pm

pcm wrote:Speaking of Mario, I'd love to get the gif of him slapping the table last night on the NBC feed after Phillips got called for a penalty against Cooke in OT. I'm pretty sure Nathalie had a fist pump too.

Can anyone manage this?

I'd have hated to be in that box at the end of regulation and at the end of the game.

But Mario's teams have experienced ignominious losses in the POs, too.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins