Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Byslma??? What the heck were you thinking??

Postby sil on Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Beveridge wrote:All I can think of when I see the thread title

Spoiler:

This is all I can think about...

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 pm

pcm wrote:Speaking of Mario, I'd love to get the gif of him slapping the table last night on the NBC feed after Phillips got called for a penalty against Cooke in OT. I'm pretty sure Nathalie had a fist pump too.

Can anyone manage this?

I thought Nathalie looked pretty rough last night, like she hasn't slept in 4 days.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Rocco wrote:
pcm wrote:Speaking of Mario, I'd love to get the gif of him slapping the table last night on the NBC feed after Phillips got called for a penalty against Cooke in OT. I'm pretty sure Nathalie had a fist pump too.

Can anyone manage this?

I thought Nathalie looked pretty rough last night, like she hasn't slept in 4 days.

person i was watching the game with said the same thing.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 pm

pcm:

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 7:46 am

When Mario was slapping the table, I said something to the effect of "can't teach that unbridled emotion".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 am

In hindsight, 24 hrs later, it would have been nice if Coach Disco would have said: " this one is on me." "I need to be better." Take one for the team.

:roll: Mr. and Mrs Lemieux look fine.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Can anyone manage this?

I had 15 new gray hairs by the time of that PP.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am

Who was out there? Kunitz, Sutter, Malkin, Letang and Martin? On paper that looks great. Kunitz has been hitting everything that moves in the playoffs, Malkin was playing great two-way hockey, Sutter is supposed to be good on faceoffs, Letang is a Norris candidate and Martin has been steady all year.

My only issue was he took 5 random players from different lines and pairings, of course they won't mesh perfectly especially when the other team is pressing. Not sure who was out there prior but the obvious choice would have just been Sid's line in total and then Orpik-Martin.

Ultimately though it was the players not executing anything correctly. Hard to pin this on Bylsma when the guys on the ice should have been able to kill the clock as long as they didn't do several stupid things.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am

DelPen wrote:Who was out there? Kunitz, Sutter, Malkin, Letang and Martin? On paper that looks great. Kunitz has been hitting everything that moves in the playoffs, Malkin was playing great two-way hockey, Sutter is supposed to be good on faceoffs, Letang is a Norris candidate and Martin has been steady all year.

My only issue was he took 5 random players from different lines and pairings, of course they won't mesh perfectly especially when the other team is pressing. Not sure who was out there prior but the obvious choice would have just been Sid's line in total and then Orpik-Martin.

Ultimately though it was the players not executing anything correctly. Hard to pin this on Bylsma when the guys on the ice should have been able to kill the clock as long as they didn't do several stupid things.

this.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 am

Letang is a Norris candidate and Martin has been steady all year.

let's be honest. That nomination has nothing to do with defensive play.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:

That's why I said "on paper" :wink:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 am

I'm pretty sure Bylsma could send out Murray, Adams, and Orpik for a shootout and there would be people defending the decision.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm pretty sure Bylsma could send out Murray, Adams, and Orpik for a shootout and there would be people defending the decision.

Well, Murray has more goals than Neal this post-season. And Orpik has just as many as Neal...
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Can anyone manage this?

It’s games like these that leave me wondering whether I’m cut out to be a fan. I keep asking myself if I’m having fun yet. It sure doesn’t feel like fun. Now, if I could be as emotionally contained as Mr. Lemieux maybe it would be more enjoyable, although for all his calm exterior I have to wonder what was going on inside. The shots of the Senator’s GM, Bryan Murray, provided an interesting contrast with Lemieux’s cool-as-a-cucumber demeanor. While I hate the comparison, I must confess, Murray’s behaviour was more akin to mine: one step removed from totally losing it.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 am

MRandall25 wrote:pcm:

Killer. Thanks. Guess Pens blog had the same idea...

I don't always request gifs, but when I do, I request gifs of Mario.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 am

TrueNorth wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Can anyone manage this?

It’s games like these that leave me wondering whether I’m cut out to be a fan. I keep asking myself if I’m having fun yet. It sure doesn’t feel like fun. Now, if I could be as emotionally contained as Mr. Lemieux maybe it would be more enjoyable, although for all his calm exterior I have to wonder what was going on inside. The shots of the Senator’s GM, Bryan Murray, provided an interesting contrast with Lemieux’s cool-as-a-cucumber demeanor. While I hate the comparison, I must confess, Murray’s behaviour was more akin to mine: one step removed from totally losing it.

You now the saying "Act like you've been there before."
Mario's been there before.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue May 21, 2013 11:39 am

This thread also makes me think of Apu.

Spoiler:
"Banana bread!? What the hell were you thinking"!?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am

Dan B has to take some blame for this, he selects the personel and gives them the directives of what to do and how to accomplish it. He should of known, the pens could of lost possession of the puck at any time. Our power play was terrible for most of the game they pressed us more than usual. Once the goalie is pulled and it is a 5 on 5 thoes guys on the ice at a disadvantage since i am sure it there wasn't a PP HCDB would of never selected thoes guys to be on the ice.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 am

Either Mark Madden is as brilliant as most people on here, or he reads this board. His program pretty much said the same thing. He blames this on Bylsma, Geno, Martin and Kunitz......

How does everyone see this but the head coach??
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:04 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Nothing? Can you name one Norris winner that didn't play top minutes for his team?
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Nothing? Can you name one Norris winner that didn't play top minutes for his team?

Did you accidentally delete part of your post? How did you get from the nomination having nothing to do with defensive play to asking about minutes played?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm pretty sure Bylsma could send out Murray, Adams, and Orpik for a shootout and there would be people defending the decision.

Yep.

Why is DB off limits in terms of criticism? I'm not talking the open hatred "Fire DB" at the drop of a hat reactionary criticism. I'm talking about honestly questioning some of the decisions he's made.

If all the players can be criticized, if GMRS can be, if even Mario can be, why not DB? Why do some people absolve him of everything?

Not singling people out, but I just find it curious.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

Yep.

Why is DB off limits in terms of criticism? I'm not talking the open hatred "Fire DB" at the drop of a hat reactionary criticism. I'm talking about honestly questioning some of the decisions he's made.

If all the players can be criticized, if GMRS can be, if even Mario can be, why not DB? Why do some people absolve him of everything?

Not singling people out, but I just find it curious.

Malkin has a hurt shoulder, Sid has the jaw problem, Neal has a concussion, so what else would anyone expect DB to do? of course it's ok if DB sends those guys out :pop:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

The way I see it you tell an offensive unit to play offense and a defensive unit to play defense, instructing either unit to do the opposite is counterproductive at best, idiotic at worst. I realise a portion of the blame lies with the players but it just seems like a mismanagement of assets IMO, and not the first to have me totally dumbfounded. Here's a rundown of my recent 'Bylsma???What the heck were you thinking?? moments:

-Acquiring a HOF RW and forcing him to play LW
-Switching a guy who exploded for 40G playing RW with Geno to LW then back again (repeated several times to ensure zero chemistry)
-Seeing how outstanding Iggy's shot is from the left point on PP then replacing him with Letang
-Seeing how effective Neal's shot is from the RW slot area on PP then telling him to play point (though this was corrected)
-Not playing Martin over Letang on the PP
-Forcing Cooke, a highly effective 3rd line LW, to play RW
-Pairing two of the least mobile defenders on the team
-Dressing Engelland in the playoffs
-Not replacing Adams with Vitale a year ago

Perhaps I'm just on a different page/planet to Bylsma, but I frequently just don't understand his decisions.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Do you think Bylsma was expecting them to

1. Lose the faceoff at the beginning of the PP

2. Completely and utterly misplay the ending situation?

He put out the PP because, IMO, he expected them to win the faceoff and keep the puck in the Sens' zone.

This wasn't like the Islanders games where we were up 5-0 and 4-0, respectively, and he put out lines of Glass-Adams-Jokinen-Murray-Eaton and Murray-Adams-Kennedy-Despres-Niskanen. It was a one goal game.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins