'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 am

Pens lose 2-1 (Double OT)

- close game, great goaltending, Pens made 2 d zone mistakes and both cost them goals
- While I hate seeing the Pens lose in 2OT, most of us did not pick a sweep. This series is following all our predictions, so less :scared: , more 8-)
- Malkin's Jekkyl & Hyde playoffs continue. Superhuman effort in attempting to score, superdumb defensive coverage when it counts most
- Why did HCDB have Malkin out there on the late game Pplay? Martin & Malkin meowed that up bigtime
- TK and Cooke had a great game. Hustle, body play, pucks on net. Simple and effective.
- Andersson played great. On PPlay he expected east-west passes & made the saves look easy. More pp shots, less pretty passing will result in more goals on him.
- 2 day breaks between games suck (gives Chris Neil time to heal, trolls regenerate unfortunately)
- Seemed to be a pretty good Pens fan turnout at the game, heard some "Koun" chants after he made big saves (although, it could have been boos ;)
- Ottawa has gotten some life, but the race continues. I expect the Pens to focus on hitting Spezza & Cowan, both vulnerable & easily grinded down at this point in the series
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 am

coaching lost the game and its a shame the pens played pretty well overall. Bylsma's horrible prevent powerplay at the end along with sitting on a one goal lead for the entire 3rd period. 2 Goal leads are not even safe but playing it safe for 20 min with a one goal lead is stupid and it bit them in the butt because of it. Instead they should have been aggressive and tried to score more but they didnt they sat back and just "wasted time" and thats how you lose in any sport. When you just try not to lose instead of try to win you will usually lose.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 am

Hate long OT losses.....worst thing ever to me.
I like the play of Vokoun, but see above. Less is more with him. He is older and may tire out.
Lay off Geno, he is doing what Geno does. I will take the good with the bad.
This is a physical series, Pens need to get out of this one quick.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 am

- When you play not to lose, you likely end up losing.
- Vokoun playing this way was the reason I was a huge fanboy when he played in Florida, although I bet he never thought he'd play unreal and walk away with a loss with the offense of the Penguins in front of him like he used to in Florida.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am

Dear Penguins that was a kick to the privates, wasn’t it? I guess if you can win with an OT goal from Brooks, this could happen. Games of chance and skill; every power play failed was the opportunity to bury the sens. Short memories or it will follow you to game 4.
Settle down, get back to a simple , yet crisp power play. Have a good practice.

The players on the power play are your clutch, go to players.Don't put them in a prevent defense mode; tell them to score on the power play. The same group was there for OT power plays, will be again in game 4.

As soon as I heard Phil Bourque say the pens had not lost in OT , on the road, since 1995... they were cooked. 8-) :wink:

Go see the new star trek movie if staying in Ottawa.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 am

Hurdle'd
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 9:01 am

One thing I would like Letang to be more aware of is when Malkin or Crosby is on the ice. He neutralized one or the other of them multiple times just in the OT periods that I saw by going low into the zone forcing the Pens most talented and skilled players to sit at the point instead of working down low. He just needs to be more aware of what is going on. If Crosby or Malkin is on the ice don't go deep in the zone. Let those guys get in there because they're better.

Still Pens seemed to control the majority of the game from what I listened to. They had great chances all night. Sometimes that doesn't work out. They just need to come back in game 4 and dominate again. PP has gone anemic.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am

I know we do these threads the next morning so that we can calm down and say rational things. The more I think about it though, the more dumbfounded I get at the stupidity that is Dan Byslma. I can think of no rational thought that would go into putting such a pathetic defensive group of people in a game with under a minute left to play when you've already been sitting on the lead for 20 minutes with absolutely no effective power play the entire night.

This one is on Dan. Somehow he manages to reach new lows every year.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 am

Ottawa did an excellent job of shutting Sid down after he crushed them on Friday. Suspect he'll come to show and prove on Wednesday.

Anderson also tremendous. One shot better than Vokoun unfortunately.

Huge Fleury fan but no see no reason to go back to him. Vokoun did all you can expect.

James Neal needs a breakout game. 1-2-3 in 7 games ain't cutting it.

Chris Neil can eat a big fat one.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 am

Crosby didn't look himself, looked a bit slow and out of it at times. Thought the team played well, except for the last minute of the third period.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 am

How many times did Chris Neil "fall" on Vokoun? I'd like a report from Melnyk's forensics team on my desk first thing tomorrow morning. Smells fishy to me.

Everyone in the GDT seemed to be saying it was a great game, and generally speaking I'd agree. But I thought a lot of the things PGH did to take the 2-0 series lead were missing last night. The two most glaring, in my book: traffic in front of Anderson and hitting the Sens in their end of the ice. Seemed like a bunch of opportunities to make contact with their defensemen along the boards were passed up.

Pretty disappointing to see the top two lines re-re-configured... :?

Tough goal to surrender under a minute in regulation. That one still hurts. Hope PGH is over it already, and getting ready for Wednesday.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 am

this one should fall under the category of "can't win em all". you can't just will yourself to win in hockey. sometimes you play better than the other guys and still get beat. this should be the vibe this morning, but the circumstances surrounding that goal are just excruciating. at least it was a 5 on 5 goal, technically.

-anderson was really good
-our top 6 was held off the score sheet, but they were still buzzing the whole game. just bad luck that they weren't able to bury one.
-...kind of. bad luck, yes. but they all seem to be confused how to handle the copious amount of space ottawa is giving them. kunitz, in particular, gets wide-eyed and clumsy when he has time to do anything.
-jokinen over glass would have been helpful last night, but i understand why bylsma went with the guy that stinks.
-speaking of stinks...brandon sutter outside of his own zone
-we can win with letang and malkin, but we can't pay them 18 million dollars a year. not when they can't be trusted in big moments.
-neal looks fine. i don't understand the speculation on his health. he was winning a lot of races.
-iginla...eesh.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 am

You can fault HCDB for a few things.

Why did we breakout with 100 seconds left. We could have stayed behind our net for another 15 seconds.
Why was Malkin out there? Yes he had a great game, but he has proven to be most likely to leave his assignment while sniffing or an empty netter.

Since going back to 18-71-12 in the trhird period of game 2, the Pens have 1 goal in over 110 minutes and this was scored by Kennedy. Does HCDB need to show he was right all along more than he wants to win the cup? The jury is out on this one.

Vokoun and Cooke have been awesome this playoff.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 am

shmenguin wrote:this one should fall under the category of "can't win em all".

see i dont think thats the case at all here. Yes Anderson stole it and they played well but we had a ton of chances and coaching WAS the difference here. I barely ever say anything about DB coaching but man sitting on a 1 goal lead for 20 min which is ridiculous and then putting out some prevent power play to end it was really bad. I am really angry that DB could be that stupid to sit back so much.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

Pens in 5.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:

see i dont think thats the case at all here. Yes Anderson stole it and they played well but we had a ton of chances and coaching WAS the difference here. I barely ever say anything about DB coaching but man sitting on a 1 goal lead for 20 min which is ridiculous and then putting out some prevent power play to end it was really bad. I am really angry that DB could be that stupid to sit back so much.

How was it DB's fault that Kunitz, Letang, and Malkin all watched the puck while Alfie and another Sen were left alone coming in the back? How is that DB's fault?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

Didn't see the post game presser. Did HCDB take any responsibility for making a bad call on how to handle the PP with 90 seconds left?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

How was it DB's fault that Kunitz, Letang, and Malkin all watched the puck while Alfie and another Sen were left alone coming in the back? How is that DB's fault?

Our offense is our best defense. The puck in their end prevents them from scoing. You don't plan to play defense on the power play. You just don't.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Our offense is our best defense. The puck in their end prevents them from scoing. You don't plan to play defense on the power play. You just don't.

They were planning to play defense with those guys on the ice? It was a clear by the Sens which they had to go all out and those three players I named fell asleep at the wheel by puck watching. That's not DB's fault. That's the players not executing.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

The one person I wouldn't have had out there is Letang. He has made far more brain farts this series than Malkin has. Letang has been awful.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

The Pens certainly know how to make things hard for themselves. Instead of being up 3-0, they decide to pretend the game was over once they got the PP and quit. Now it's a series. And Anderson looked fabulous. Game 4 will say a lot IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

Hats off to Vokoun he looked great.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 am

Anyone else seeing this form Iginla... either

A. He's just old and doesn't have it anymore, looks lost 5 on 5.

or

B. He's not being used properly and that's why he looks lost.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

They were planning to play defense with those guys on the ice? It was a clear by the Sens which they had to go all out and those three players I named fell asleep at the wheel by puck watching. That's not DB's fault. That's the players not executing.

Its the coaches FAULT for telling his power play to go out there and dump pucks in and back off. How you can tell your power play at the end of a game to do that is mind boggling. The players messed up too but they wouldnt be in that position if the coaches didnt tell them to back off because everyone could see it. People I know who dont even know anything about hockey were asking me why would they back off??? And I dont have an answer because playing defense on a power play is stupid
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Did you see any puck retrieval effort? Did you see anyone forechecking? Why not trap in that scenario? Why get into the shell at the red line and backing off? Players have some responsibility in how it happened, but its pretty clear that the play was designed to prevent a short-handed goal. Should have never even been in the situation.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins