'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Guinness wrote:
dollartaco wrote:
shmenguin wrote:now that i formed a babby, i can't deal with these late games. i've been sick as a dog this last week and could have used the extra rest. plus, this was the first game all year that kept me awake, stewing over it. rough night.

i am truley sorry for your lots

They need to do way instain mother

:lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Wasn't one of the pretty boy finesse scorers a former Conn Smythe trophy winner? ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Guinness wrote:Wasn't one of the pretty boy finesse scorers a former Conn Smythe trophy winner? ;)

Pretty sure they don't give that trophy out for defensive prowess...heck, come to think of it, they don't have an award anymore for that :D
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Bylsma is a proven slow-learner, but one would have hoped, after the Isles series, that putting Letang and Malkin on the power play with a lead in the third period is a horrible idea. As great as those two are, and I simply cannot stress that enough or how much more they contribute, they really just turn into horrific players (offense and defense) when they have a lead. Whether it is mailing it in on the power play or simply expecting someone else to play defense, it just boggles the mind that Bylsma doesn't see what is obvious to everybody else. Is this another case of Bylsma coaching from the heart rather than the head? I think so.

I understand the sentiment; you want your best players on the ice to close a game. When those players prove they are entirely irresponsible in a particular situation time and time again, however, it's certainly questionable coaching.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Guinness wrote:Wasn't one of the pretty boy finesse scorers a former Conn Smythe trophy winner? ;)

Pretty sure they don't give that trophy out for defensive prowess...heck, come to think of it, they don't have an award anymore for that :D

Wat? Just ask our Norris trophy finalist about defensive prowess. ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:This is the logic I hate that I'm seeing today that we also saw after that horrid performance in Game 2 vs the Islanders. "Well if you said it would be a 5 game series they have to lose one so I dont understand why everybodies so upset"

Its not that they lost a game, its how that upsets people and its concerning. Maybe not last night as much as that Game 2, but everyone knows we arent going 16-0, but losing games you have in the bag in the playoffs just can't happen.

...and, based on seeing who was on the ice and what they were(n't) doing, seeing it coming from a mile away, too.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens9192 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 pm

The way they lost was just maddening. All they had to do was set up in Ottawa's zone and run a PPfor 30 more seconds. That's it! But as we have seen at times the past two years, sometimes gaining the zone and setting up on the PP is a challenge. Just...gah!

Of course though, the high scoring team in the playoffs was held to one goal in 4.5 periods. That needs to change. Or if they want to win 1-0 they should still be aggressive in the third period. That looked like some of Cowher's Steelers teams..
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Like Dish... I'm most mad because this team absolutely refuses to "finish" anyone or anything.
Unacceptable that the game got tied under those circumstances.

* Iginla needs to watch the game tape again and see how a 62 year old Daniel Alfredsson is skating.

* Niskanen is not cut out for playoff hockey. He's afraid to take a hit to make a play.

* I'm blue in the face from saying this some many times but Sutter is playing like a 5th line center. Please put Jussi in his skates.

* Bylsma will be out coached many more times this post season. The only question is does it cost the pens a series?

* Malkin has otherworld ability... but his IQ might be close to his jersey number.

* To date, Vokoun is our ONLY Conn Smythe candidate.

* I too wish bad things would happen to Chris Neil.

* A 7th round hack-pick, from 9 years ago??? Colin Greening scoring all three of his career playoff goals, one in each game so far vs the Pens... simply defies logic.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:
Shakes wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:There's no need for changes and no need for doom and gloom. The Pens played a great game and a near-perfect 3rd period. That last PP was a complete train wreck, but crap happens. The Pens were the better team in all three games and Anderson was the only reason this game was even close.

Pens in 5.

May be able to find a similar post on a 2009 caps Message Board.

Or a 2008 Red Wings message board relative to losing in 3OT in Game 5. "Wings in 6." :pop:

I hear ya but, this team is a lot closer to the 2009 Caps than the 2008 Wings.

Time will tell.

True, believe it or not, I am an optomist. I do think our current trajectory is more similar to the 09 Caps. I would love for us to learn from all of the recent mistakes and develop a consistency and maturity that would put us on a trajectory more like that of the 08 Wings. It has been a while since the team whole has at least equalled the sum of its parts so thats why i am concerned.

I also shake my head at people saying, "well we know Anderson would steal one" maybe he will, but it wasn't last night. That was a gift.

There is a big danger with breathing life into a team in the NHL Playoffs. I remember a defending champion Red Wings team that was up 2-0 on the Kings and leading game 3 by 3 goals, series over right? The Kings get two late goals and win in OT. Wings fans saw it as a blip. They then watched the Kings take the next 3.

We played with fire against the Islanders and got away with it. I was whistling in the graveyard with the best of them, "we are the better team, of course we will win". We are playing with fire again and there is only so many times you can do that.

This board will be a very interesting place if we are tied coming into Friday with 29 making his return to the net.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Maybe i'm just assuming that the Caps have not grown at all when its possible that they have instead drastically regressed. I'm just comparing the current Pens to the current mess that was the insanely pathetic Caps.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 pm

pens9192 wrote:The way they lost was just maddening. All they had to do was set up in Ottawa's zone and run a PPfor 30 more seconds. That's it! But as we have seen at times the past two years, sometimes gaining the zone and setting up on the PP is a challenge. Just...gah!

Of course though, the high scoring team in the playoffs was held to one goal in 4.5 periods. That needs to change. Or if they want to win 1-0 they should still be aggressive in the third period. That looked like some of Cowher's Steelers teams..

Martypuck! :scared:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Maybe i'm just assuming that the Caps have not grown at all when its possible that they have instead drastically regressed. I'm just comparing the current Pens to the current mess that was the insanely pathetic Caps.

Yes, the Caps have gone through 3 coaches, 4 systems, 3 goalies, and 1,248,352 of Ovechkin's passionate whims since then.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 1:54 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I also shake my head at people saying, "well we know Anderson would steal one" maybe he will, but it wasn't last night. That was a gift.

So maybe the goal was a gift, but is there any doubt that Anderson and Anderson alone kept the Sens in the game until the final minute?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Maybe i'm just assuming that the Caps have not grown at all when its possible that they have instead drastically regressed. I'm just comparing the current Pens to the current mess that was the insanely pathetic Caps.

Yes, the Caps have gone through 3 coaches, 4 systems, 3 goalies, and 1,248,352 of Ovechkin's passionate whims since then.

And they have regressed, no doubt about it. They are losers, through and through.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm

topshelf66 wrote:We played with fire against the Islanders and got away with it. I was whistling in the graveyard with the best of them, "we are the better team, of course we will win". We are playing with fire again and there is only so many times you can do that.

This board will be a very interesting place if we are tied coming into Friday with 29 making his return to the net.

This! And may it not come true.

We just can't let a team on lifesupport get up off the table. :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Gaucho wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:I also shake my head at people saying, "well we know Anderson would steal one" maybe he will, but it wasn't last night. That was a gift.

So maybe the goal was a gift, but is there any doubt that Anderson and Anderson alone kept the Sens in the game until the final minute?

If he was at the level of games 1 or 2, then the Pens win 3-1, I think.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PAPLine on Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Guinness wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Wat? Just ask our Norris trophy finalist about defensive prowess. ;)

Hey, it's been twenty years since the Norris had any thing to do with defense.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PAPLine on Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

And it wasn't Anderson who was responsible for leaving Alfredson completely alone drinking a cup of coffee in front of the net with 29 second left.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm

PAPLine wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

And it wasn't Anderson who was responsible for leaving Alfredson completely alone drinking a cup of coffee in front of the net with 29 second left.

No, it wasn't. There are several reasons, avoidable or not, for this crappy loss.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at the end? Yes, the way it played out. But I'd have liked to have seen one conversion on the 6 or 7 PPs we got, too.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

More like 5-0 or 6-0.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Poll Question: Why did the Pens lose last night. (pick one)

A.) Anderson stole a game.
B.) They gave up a SHG with < minute to go in regulation.
Last edited by topshelf66 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm

meh, whatever
Last edited by Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 2:33 pm

If all else remains equal but B doesn't happen, what is the outcome of the game? There is your answer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

More like 5-0 or 6-0.

Entirely possible, also.

I admit that I will worry if we let them tie up the series. Maybe I shouldn't, but this Pens team tests my fortitude. I firmly believe that the Pens are the better team, but I'm not as confident that they'll play like it, especially in critical situations. But, onward, as they say. A resounding win to put the Sens back in their place, the fans back in their seats, and the series back on track will work wonders for my health. :D
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IMFC on Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm

If the shorthanded abomination does not occur . . .

A) Anderson kept them in it.
B) VOKOUN stole one.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins