'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

PAPLine wrote:
Guinness wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Guinness wrote:Wasn't one of the pretty boy finesse scorers a former Conn Smythe trophy winner? ;)

Pretty sure they don't give that trophy out for defensive prowess...heck, come to think of it, they don't have an award anymore for that :D

Wat? Just ask our Norris trophy finalist about defensive prowess. ;)

Hey, it's been twenty years since the Norris had any thing to do with defense.

The Nick Lidstrom trophy has def. been about defense quite a few times.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

You mean Captain Interference?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm

meow wrote:You mean Captain Interference?

You mean Captain won 4 cups?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If all else remains equal but B doesn't happen, what is the outcome of the game? There is your answer.

C. Colin Greening scored a goal in OT before the Penguins did.

That is why they lost. Blame the team all you want for the last minute of the game but it was not over at that point, as much as the doomsayers would have you believe. We have a really terrible habit of failing to give credit to the other team when they deserve it. Alfredsson made a great play to cut through the defense. The Senators did a fairly good job of insulating Anderson, who himself stopped (literally) 98% of the pucks he saw. Despite that, his post still made the biggest save of the game.

The difference between their play in this game and that of the Islanders series is night and day.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

What's next? People arguing that Mike Bossy was a one trick pony?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If all else remains equal but B doesn't happen, what is the outcome of the game? There is your answer.

That is why they lost. Blame the team all you want for the last minute of the game but it was not over at that point, as much as the doomsayers would have you believe. We have a really terrible habit of failing to give credit to the other team when they deserve it. Alfredsson made a great play to cut through the defense. The Senators did a fairly good job of insulating Anderson, who himself stopped (literally) 98% of the pucks he saw. Despite that, his post still made the biggest save of the game.

The difference between their play in this game and that of the Islanders series is night and day.

So if the Penguins don't give up a shorthanded goal with less than a minute left in regulation, colin greening still scores in ot before the penguins. I guess they were screwed no matter what. Sounds like EPL rules for Man U.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Oh I wasn't talking Iginla being the reason for losing but if I had to choose between Morrow and Iginla as to who would look slow, lost, and out of place I would have picked Morrow every day of the week. It's been quite the opposite as Morrow has been able to fit in wherever he's been put in the line up. Generate offense, Morrow makes space for people. Bang bodies, Morrow is in a scrum constantly smiling. Morrow seems to be the true leadership brought in. As much as I like Iginla he just doesn't look like a top line winger on this team.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Anderson definately played well and played a key role. I guess a similar question is this....

A life long smoker is driving down the highway. He has a caughing fit and drifts into the oncoming lane where he is pulverized by an 18 wheeler.

Was the driver killed because he was a life long smoker or because he couldn't execute the most basic driving rule, don't drift into oncoming traffic?
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm all for giving another team credit but it's really hard to argue that in this case. The Pens were winning a game with 30 seconds left, had a power play, and still failed to close it out. That's really, really bad. It was incredibly dumb and lazy for the Pens to let that happen. I don't think you can even argue that it was really a 5-on-5 goal, I'm not going to go back and watch that happen again but my sense was the extra skater wasn't even in the play by the time the goal was scored.

It was a horrible loss. Given the fact that the Pens still lead the series, and even in this loss appeared to be the better team, there's no need to panic yet. But they've opened up the door for Ottawa to get back and even win this series. If they could have just closed out on a one goal lead with 30 seconds left while on the power play, it's 3-0 with an incredibly improbable chance of Ottawa winning. People should be annoyed, more importantly the Pens should be unhappy that they let this happen and they should come out on Wednesday ready to atone for their idiocy last night.

We'll see what last night meant. If the Pens close out this series like they should, that will only be a blip. If Ottawa comes back and takes this series, that error will live on forever as one of the worst letdowns in Pens playoff history.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 pm

topshelf66 wrote:Anderson definately played well and played a key role. I guess a similar question is this....

A life long smoker is driving down the highway. He has a caughing fit and drifts into the oncoming lane where he is pulverized by an 18 wheeler.

Was the driver killed because he was a life long smoker or because he couldn't execute the most basic driving rule, don't drift into oncoming traffic?

Ooooh, damn you, topshelf. 8-)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Two-day layoff: Whom does it help more? Does it matter at all?

Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

I think it could help the Pens more: One more day...

* to get Jussi and Vitale healthy
* for Spezza's back to seize up (I told you, I'm going to be a bad person this week)
* for the pandemonium up in Ottawa to subside
* for the Pens to get their heads right
* for TV to rest
* for the Pens' anger to subside (assuming, of course, that they're angry--how could they not be?)
* for the Sens to relax, as Wednesday is no longer a win-or-stay-home situation (will it translate into less sharp play?)
* to fit in a liquor store run (oh wait, that's for me)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Mon May 20, 2013 3:10 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Image

Cheer up, Ajax.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 3:39 pm

People are acting like we've been outplayed for 3 games and should be down 3-0 in the series...

I don't get it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Like I think I said earlier, Anderson played really well, but the OTT defense played pretty good, too, cleaning up the front of their net. I can't remember how many time the puck was laying right in front of OTT's crease, and I'm yelling someone get there, but there were only red sweaters. PIT had opportunities, but couldn't take advantage.
BTW, I'm also pretty sure Tommy V will cone back from last light better thatn Marc AF would. Just saying.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Orlando Penguin on Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm

(posting first before reading any other posts so my anger can't be re-ignited)

1. Vokoun should be back for Game 4. That was a ridiculous effort he put out there. The save he made on Neil was beyond words (though, I did go from saying 'how did that not go in' to 'oh, it was Chris Neil, that's why). Nothing he did out there made me think Fleury would have done any better.

2. YOU CAN'T LOSE THAT GAME LIKE THAT. 1:38 left, up by 1 and on the power play. Go into the four corners, get the puck in the offensive zone, spread it out, rag it, play keep away. The coach wannabes on here want to slam Bylsma for putting Malkin and Martin out there. Well, they're your best puckhandlers, they should be out there to keep possession. What I can't understand is why ALL 5 PLAYERS on the ice had to act like it was a 5-year-old soccer game and swarm to the puck. Yes, it took a perfect pass to Alfredsson for the goal but better spacing and awareness and there's nothing there. Cripes, 30 seconds from 3-0 and now it's a series.

3. Gotta give credit to Anderson for bouncing back but he also got some help from some puck bounces. As I said after Game 1, if the Pens keep playing like they have, the series would be done Wednesday night. The only thing that changes now is the date of the end of the series because if the chances keep coming, the Pens will bury them this time.

4. Power play was getting too cutesy. It looked like they wanted to make the perfect pass to set up the picturesque goal. Started reminding me of '96 Panthers all over again. Just do the nuts and bolts, please.

5. When Kennedy scored, I laughed at those who have ridden him all year. Should have been his 7th GWG in the playoffs.

6. Hopefully, Neil has a broken arm. He got his skate up a couple more times last night on checks. He's a cheapshot artist and if it were the regular season, I'd be rooting hard for Cooke to have destroyed him when Neil was talking smack to him during the one stoppage of play.

7. If the energy level continues, I'm not too worried about Wednesday night. However, Game 3 shows us that bad bounces in the playoffs are what can cause top seeds to get upset. Let's hope the Pens don't allow those bounces to rule the series again.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm

MRandall25 wrote:People are acting like we've been outplayed for 3 games and should be down 3-0 in the series...

I don't get it.

When you are .28 away from a 3-0 lead in the series and you don't win.....it's not good.

There is too much luck and stuff out of your control in this game to let a "sure thing" get away like they did last night.

The Pens will continue to outplay the Sens but that doesn't guarantee wins. We dominated yesterday and lost. The Islanders dominated us for most of last series and they are home golfing.

We will control and dominate game 4, yet will could still lose and be in a 2-2 series as opposed to a 3-1 series.

That close to a W you have to have that game.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby marek on Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:People are acting like we've been outplayed for 3 games and should be down 3-0 in the series...

I don't get it.

crapping the bed with 30 secs left is why people are upset... if that isn't enough this might make your blood boil.
http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocent ... t-penguins

the most pathetic "explanation" of failure ever...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Some of you get too wrapped up in things out of your control...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Rylan wrote:Some of you get too wrapped up in things out of your control...

QFT
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Poop happens. It's how you react that matters most (unless, of course, said poop happens in game 7).
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't get it.

If you've watched enough playoff hockey, then you should know this situation is terribly frightening. Alfie's goal was the kind of moment that becomes legend, the moments we remember David Volek so vividly or why Flyers fans will never forget Talbot shushing them. Last night was the Penguins' chance to all but tuck in the Sens, and to have them win the game in that manner is... scary.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
2. YOU CAN'T LOSE THAT GAME LIKE THAT.

I think you're about the first to make that observation.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm

wondermoose wrote:

I don't get it.

If you've watched enough playoff hockey, then you should know this situation is terribly frightening. Alfie's goal was the kind of moment that becomes legend, the moments we remember David Volek so vividly or why Flyers fans will never forget Talbot shushing them. Last night was the Penguins' chance to all but tuck in the Sens, and to have them win the game in that manner is... scary.

David Volek was an OT Goal in game 7. Talbot was in Game 6 against an archrival where we wound up clinching. What Alfredsson did in game 3 will have zero impact on what happens in the coming games in this series.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Not at all. If the Pens play well in game 4 and walk out with a win its not a situation. If they lose game 4, obviously that changes things. Losing Game 3 has not changed anything really aside from the fact that Ottawa has a win. They didn't dominate, they were outplayed, and they should have lost. Goalies and plays happen that change that. But Ottawa has not been scary all series; that isn't about to change.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins