'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

PAPLine wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:You're obviously a good dude, rylan, so sorry to pick on you a bit. But the "everybody relax" crowd is more annoying to me than the doomsday-ers.

Far more annoying. Though after this loss...everyone relax. Its one game that the Pens still controlled. The "relax" people that were actually still left in the Isles series though...probably mentally unhealthy.

As I recall last year after the Flyers fiasco, I woke up the next day and inexplicably, the world moved on. The same thing the year before, and the year before that, and yes, even in '09. Yes, it's fun to talk about the games and debate various positions regarding the outcomes, but after all, they are just games.
That said, GO PENS!

I'm still hearing about last year around here. Not kidding.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
PAPLine wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:You're obviously a good dude, rylan, so sorry to pick on you a bit. But the "everybody relax" crowd is more annoying to me than the doomsday-ers.

Far more annoying. Though after this loss...everyone relax. Its one game that the Pens still controlled. The "relax" people that were actually still left in the Isles series though...probably mentally unhealthy.

As I recall last year after the Flyers fiasco, I woke up the next day and inexplicably, the world moved on. The same thing the year before, and the year before that, and yes, even in '09. Yes, it's fun to talk about the games and debate various positions regarding the outcomes, but after all, they are just games.
That said, GO PENS!

This is what it was like when I woke up after the Flyers Fiasco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HBCopB7Hc

Someone posted this one last year. This is how I felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpylOohDvU
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby catgoblin on Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am

Hi everyone. First post here, although I'm a long time lurker.

One thing that seems to be lost in the shuffle here is the unpredictable nature of the playoffs. Last year the Kings won the cup as an 8 seed. This year, both 2 seeds lost to the 7's and the "unbeatable" Blackhawks are now down 2-1 to the Red Wings which was considered a gift of a matchup, since many assumed that they would have to beat two of the Kings, Blues and Ducks to get out of the West.

With all of that, here we sit with a 2-1 lead, where the Sens needed an unreal performance from Anderson, some puck luck and a horrible mistake from the Pens players and coaches at the end of regulation to scrape out their one win. If you ask me, I'm thrilled that our meltdown didn't put us in a hole or, even worse, come in a game 7 like with the Leafs. I'll be happy just to keep on moving on, regardless of how "dominant" we look.
catgoblin

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 21, 2013 10:12 am

tfrizz wrote:
marek wrote:* To date, Vokoun is our ONLY Conn Smythe candidate.

And, unfortunately, I still don't believe the Pens will win the Cup with Vokoun in net. The Sens have missed 1000 great chances in the 3 games so far, almost all stemming from Vokoun's slow lateral movement. A team that isn't offensively inept is going to take advantage of that in a big way.

I disagree with this, but I think you and I have exhausted the issue. :D
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

Before their OT goal, Eaton lost his stick and just got it back before greening scored, right?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 am

DelPen wrote:Before their OT goal, Eaton lost his stick and just got it back before greening scored, right?

Yes, a Sen was on the ice and holding it and Eaton had to let go. Greening was his man, I don't think he should have left him for the stick.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am

CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
PAPLine wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

That said, GO PENS!

This is what it was like when I woke up after the Flyers Fiasco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HBCopB7Hc

Someone posted this one last year. This is how I felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpylOohDvU

So like I said, life goes on.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

Defensively Game 3 was much better than game 2 except for the last minute of the 3rd. I'm annoyed at the PP and 2nd line wings not doing anything. Everything else is pretty much fine if they keep it up.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 am

MarioLives wrote:So if I got this right....if you are optimistic, some will bash you, and if you are negative, some will bash you?

Pretty fun. :D

And if you just state the obvious you're Dan Bylsma
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 am

pfim wrote:
DelPen wrote:Before their OT goal, Eaton lost his stick and just got it back before greening scored, right?

Yes, a Sen was on the ice and holding it and Eaton had to let go. Greening was his man, I don't think he should have left him for the stick.

I thought this was interesting as well. The senator was definitely holding Eatons stick (possibly to show he was hooked or taken to the ground with it?), Nisky in an attempt to get to his man kicked through it causing Eaton to lose it, then Eaton went to get it after getting a free chance causing him to be a few steps behind the eventual goal scorer. It takes all those little things, plus double OT, the obvious terribleness of the last 2 minutes in regulation and Anderson stealing one for the Senators to get a win? I like the pens chances in the series.

MarioLives wrote:So if I got this right....if you are optimistic, some will bash you, and if you are negative, some will bash you?

Pretty fun. :D

I believe you have it correct. Plus, whichever side you are on you will claim that the board operates as a hivemind saying the opposite and you are the one true defender of freedom.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am

eaton was briefly gesturing for someone to hand him a stick, but we had 3 Dmen on the ice, so he couldn't find a forward to give him one. if it wasn't niskanen and it was some forward coming out of the box, i bet the goal doesn't happen.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

shmenguin wrote:eaton was briefly gesturing for someone to hand him a stick, but we had 3 Dmen on the ice, so he couldn't find a forward to give him one. if it wasn't niskanen and it was some forward coming out of the box, i bet the goal doesn't happen.

I was yelling at my tv for Eaton and Niskanen to switch, but they didn't listen.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:eaton was briefly gesturing for someone to hand him a stick, but we had 3 Dmen on the ice, so he couldn't find a forward to give him one. if it wasn't niskanen and it was some forward coming out of the box, i bet the goal doesn't happen.

I was yelling at my tv for Eaton and Niskanen to switch, but they didn't listen.

Same thing must happen to Bylsma, since we know he doesn't ever tell them the wrong thing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GDR on Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm

so today's practice...Jokinen is getting work on the second power play and centering the 4th line, so maybe he's in tomorrow. Vitale is also back.

Iginla, the one thing he's been able to help on is the power play. Not only is he off the first unit, but he's splitting time with Niskanen on the 2nd unit.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:02 pm

DB needs to put 9-87-12 14-71-18 .. why the hell he's got them all screwed up again is mind boggling.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens Fans Sweden on Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Iginla has been a dissapointment since coming over from the Flames, needles to say. He looks far to slow and soft and don't mesh well with Malkin at all. I liked what I saw from him while he was playing right wing with Crosby. Too bad Bylsma didn't run with those lines a few games, I'm sure the second line would catch on fire sooner or later with Kunitz on the left wing bulldozing his way to the net while Malkin serving Neal with pucks! Also sure Crosby would make Iginla better...
Pens Fans Sweden

Postby Gvezz on Tue May 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:DB needs to put 9-87-12 14-71-18 .. why the hell he's got them all screwed up again is mind boggling.

Nah, he only won three games in a row (with 2 of them being blowouts) with those line combinations. Why leave that alone?
Gvezz

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I'm just tired of hearing both Neal and Iginla say they're comfortable on either side, and that's not the case.

I refuse to believe Sid is this much of an annoyance that keeping him happy takes over for being a coach. He's never come off that way during his time here, he wouldn't start with it now.

This is solely a coaching issue to me.

Sid has made it known that he wants to play with Kunitz and Dupuis. But I don't think he's demanding it.

This is all on Bylsma. Its his call.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue May 21, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure Bennett would be contributing more than Iginla given the same opportunities. Oh well.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Pens Fans Sweden wrote:Iginla has been a dissapointment since coming over from the Flames, needles to say. He looks far to slow and soft and don't mesh well with Malkin at all. I liked what I saw from him while he was playing right wing with Crosby. Too bad Bylsma didn't run with those lines a few games, I'm sure the second line would catch on fire sooner or later with Kunitz on the left wing bulldozing his way to the net while Malkin serving Neal with pucks! Also sure Crosby would make Iginla better...

Despite a promising start, Iginla and Crosby did not play well together. He was just too slow for a line that's been all about speed all season long. There were more than a few occasions he was MIA on the rush. There are many other options to try before breaking up the Pens' best line. Besides, the 2nd line doesn't have a problem scoring; its problem is turnovers. I'd like to see Morrow get another shot on that line.

Iginla is playing as well as anyone should have expected him to based on his age, performance and production the past couple of seasons. But like most players people are down about, I don't think he's playing as poorly as posted. Despite his ES production and occasional defensive lapse, he's done a lot of little things--and producing very well overall. I'm pretty sure he's exactly the player Pens' management traded for; not the 50 goal guy a lot of people here thought the Pens traded for. I'm glad they have him, but I wouldn't mind seeing him out of the top six to see how it goes.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tanger58 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Gvezz wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:DB needs to put 9-87-12 14-71-18 .. why the hell he's got them all screwed up again is mind boggling.

Nah, he only won three games in a row (with 2 of them being blowouts) with those line combinations. Why leave that alone?

Agreed. Stupidity by Disco. It's been said before x 100, Iggy shows no spark with Geno. I do think Disco will make this change tomorrow (for 1 shift).
Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Tanger58 wrote:
Gvezz wrote:

Agreed. Stupidity by Disco. It's been said before x 100, Iggy shows no spark with Geno. I do think Disco will make this change tomorrow (for 1 shift).

Shhh, you're not allowed to second guess Bylsma
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm

is iginla any better with crosby? or is crosby worse with iginla?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Froggy wrote:is iginla any better with crosby? or is crosby worse with iginla?

-Iginla is better with Crosby (playing RW)
-Neal is better with Malkin (playing RW)
-Iginla is better than Neal on the left PP
-Crosby is better with Kunitz
-Malkin is better with Kunitz
-With the addition of Kunitz, Malkin's line is more improved than Crosby's line
-Bylsma doesn't care
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 am

Anybody have Game 2 vs Ottawa recorded? PM me if you do.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins