Brandon Sutter...can we scratch?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brandon Sutter...can we scratch?

Postby Scott on Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Could it be possible to sit him for a few games? Would this shatter his confidence? I ask this because he is providing zero offense. I know he has been playing fairly decent in the defensive zone and was good on face offs last night...

having said that from an offensive perspective he is providing zero offense. Even a little bit would be miles from what he is providing now. Two way center? No. Most one way centers are offensive only, he is defensive only. A little offensive help Sutter..anytime now!

Jokinen has as many points as Sutter in 5 less games.

Douglas Murray has more points that Sutter :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eaton and Niskanen have as many points as Sutter. Those two are on defense and Eaton has played less games.

Something has to give here. Instead of scratching Kennedy, Glass, Vitale...to get Jokinen in the lineup why can't we scratch Sutter.

At this point I would even scratch Sutter to open a spot for someone else...it doesn't have to be Jokinen. It could also help Sutter get a better handle on some things he is NOT doing in the offensive zone.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Brandon Sutter...can we scratch?

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm

No.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DrBoni on Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm

If Jokinen was available to go, then maybe. But without that option, absolutely not.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm

No, i don't think so. He is much more suited for playoff hockey than Jokenin. He will find his game. ANy way we are the highest scoring playoff team since the 95 Flyers or something like that???? We don't need more offence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 pm

No, i don't think so. He is much more suited for playoff hockey than Jokenin. He will find his game. ANy way we are the highest scoring playoff team since the 95 Flyers or something like that???? We don't need more offence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Scoring isn't necessary. He is a big component of the PK and is effective at it. Jussi Jokinen does not kill penalties and is not a 3rd line playoff hockey player. It doesn't work.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon May 20, 2013 5:32 pm

No - just because he isn't scoring doesn't mean he hasn't contributed. Aside from a few times in the Isles series, I thought he's been good in his role.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 20, 2013 5:35 pm

He's 23 years old. He's only been with this team for 48 games plus 9 playoff games. He's been in the league for 5 years and hasn't sniffed playoff hockey.

I honestly think he'll break through at some point and have his moment. He's starting to adjust. He's been solid on the ice, it just hasn't translated into points.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IMFC on Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm

HCDB trusts him.

/discussion
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 20, 2013 5:37 pm

The last time he's played in a playoff game was in the AHL in 2007-2008.

I said it in the GDT. He needs to shake off the Carolina stink still.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Since when has scoring goals become a problem? On the nights we lose, it's primarily allowing them that's the main issue.

Sutter's been on the ice for 2 goals against in the playoffs. And one was on a line change last night where Crosby came off and he came on with no chance to do much of anything.

Not taking shots at anyone in particular here, but people complained that Staal stopped embracing his role as a third line center. We trade him for a true third line center that embraces his role, and he doesn't score enough.

For every 60 minutes of even strength hockey that is played with Sutter on the ice, the Penguins allow .95 goals against. With numbers like that, I don't care if the kid never scores again.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Jesse wrote:Since when has scoring goals become a problem? On the nights we lose, it's primarily allowing them that's the main issue.

Sutter's been on the ice for 2 goals against in the playoffs. And one was on a line change last night where Crosby came off and he came on with no chance to do much of anything.

Not taking shots at anyone in particular here, but people complained that Staal stopped embracing his role as a third line center. We trade him for a true third line center that embraces his role, and he doesn't score enough.

For every 60 minutes of even strength hockey that is played with Sutter on the ice, the Penguins allow .95 goals against. With numbers like that, I don't care if the kid never scores again.

Well said.

Besides, he has that Sutter bloodline. I'll bet dollars to donuts that he'll come up big at some point in these playoffs.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IMFC on Mon May 20, 2013 5:52 pm

I'll take that bet - put me down for a dozen.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Mon May 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Jesse wrote:

Jesse I understand your sentiment but I have to tell you that 2 points in 9 playoff games as a third line center speaks for itself. He doesn't have to lead the team in anything but 2 points in 9 games? No I had no problem with Jordan Staal whatsoever so it wasn't me you were referring to.

With the ice time Sutter is given he needs to contribute more than 2 points in 9 games.

At that pace that would have 18 points over an 82 game season. I'm sorry but as good as he is in the defensive zone he needs to contribute a little bit more than that in the offensive zone.

Sutter has a plus minus in the playoffs of zero. His two points for are washed with two goals allowed.

Jokinen in 4 games is a plus 1. I'm not trying to have a Jokinen Sutter debate but Sutter needs to contribute a little more on offense. When a team holds the top two lines in check like last night who is going to pick up the scoring? Sutter has to do some scoring at some point.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm

lol what? Did you completely ignore the fact that he has been on the ice for 2 goals against in 9 games. Now that is a ridiculously low number for a 3rd line center. And yet, you are complaining because he isn't scoring despite that not even being close to an issue?! Are you mad?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I know he was getting killed in the GDT, but I though he had a strong game. Won a lot of battles and made a few nice plays, including that move and pass in OT that bounced over Cooke's (?) stick.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

People are/were spoiled by Jordan Staal. He wasn't a typical 3rd line center.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Lolol I was 100% sure that Sutter scored the Pens' goal last night. Guess I had a few too many...
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Shakes wrote:I know he was getting killed in the GDT, but I though he had a strong game. Won a lot of battles and made a few nice plays, including that move and pass in OT that bounced over Cooke's (?) stick.

It was Adams's stick. But yea, Sutter has been close to a lot of plays (he was on the ice for the TK goal) and has been contributing off the score sheet. He hasn't been spectacular, but he doesn't have to be. That is why the Pens have Malkin, Crosby, Iginla, Neal, and all the other scorers that are paid to score. Sutter is doing his job, and as such I could not be much happier with his play.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm

We've scored 3 or more goals in all but ONE of 9 games... if Sutter has 2 points and we've only scored less than 3 goals ONCE, it would seemingly conclude his offensive output is immaterial...

2 goals against in 9 games is all you need to know. Watch the game, not the stat line
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Mon May 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Shakes wrote:I know he was getting killed in the GDT, but I though he had a strong game. Won a lot of battles and made a few nice plays, including that move and pass in OT that bounced over Cooke's (?) stick.

Agreed. I actually don't understand the complaints against him. I thought he has looked just fine, especially given the fact that he plays the hardest competition nightly and starts in the offensive zone only 25% of the time.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2012_p&f2=5v5&f5=PIT&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon May 20, 2013 6:26 pm

No.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Absolutely not.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Mon May 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Who cares about Sutter's confidence?

If he's so fragile that he can't take a healthy scratch, then he's not worth much any ways.

Tyler Kennedy and Vitale took it like men, and when they returned to the lineup they played like they never wanted to be scratched again.

When you are a 3rd/4th liner, your job is constantly on the bubble (especially on a team with plenty of good players sitting every night) any how. That's life on a good team.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Everyone is right. His defensive play has been fine, but as we go along in the playoffs we are going to need that third line to contribute a bit more pressure and get some momentum. Especially if the second line continues to struggle in overall play even strength.

I will say this though, Kennedy has helped take the pressure off of what the third line would typically need to do overall for a game.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins