Brandon Sutter...can we scratch?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brandon Sutter...can we scratch?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 am

You lose in the playoffs when you play outside yourself. You need contributions from your bottom lines, but if they try to force it, nothing good is going to happen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

i think once there's a real need for more offense from the 3rd line, we can make adjustments then. i don't think you change things up for the sake of hypothetical situations. it's a little like putting fluery back in because you think you can't win a cup with vokoun - even though vokoun is doing quite well so far.

my main beef right now is that i think morrow has more to offer than to just play most of his shifts in his own end or in the neutral zone. we didn't need to give up a good prospect for his current role. adams, vitale, glass, kennedy...they all could have been serviceable in that position.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed May 22, 2013 9:20 am

What are these "adjustments" you speak of? God knows Bylsma can't make "adjustments" :slug:
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 22, 2013 9:22 am

shmenguin wrote:i think once there's a real need for more offense from the 3rd line, we can make adjustments then. i don't think you change things up for the sake of hypothetical situations. it's a little like putting fluery back in because you think you can't win a cup with vokoun - even though vokoun is doing quite well so far.

my main beef right now is that i think morrow has more to offer than to just play most of his shifts in his own end or in the neutral zone. we didn't need to give up a good prospect for his current role. adams, vitale, glass, kennedy...they all could have been serviceable in that position.

And that might be the case, they feel they don't need offense and will change strategy at some point. But I just think having two lines barely trying to score or at the very least create some zone presence is a bit puzzling in the playoffs. Games are tighter, called by officials less tight, stars are more prone to be shut down (see- game 3).

Plus I really think Ottawa sucks I'm not sure we should be that afraid of them.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 am

I don't know if any of the lines are "barely" trying to score, but I do know they are all concerned (amongst several other things) with preventing goals...and preventing goals becomes paramount in the stanley cup playoffs...and it's been that way for half a century.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am

Scott wrote:Everyone can dissect sixteen different ways but the facts remain..

The third line has no offensive identity.

You just don't give up, do you? It's seriously mind-numbing at this point.

Everyone, vacate this thread.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 am

Idoit40fans wrote:??? Kennedy and Morrow each have GWGs, Kennedy has another that should have been a GWG. They also have goals from Sutter and Glass. Thats not counting unlikely contributions from Orpik and Murray. What are you looking for?

10-0 Pen's wins.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 am

Defense wins championships.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 am

KEEP ON SCRATCHING BRO

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Wed May 22, 2013 10:52 am

It'll be great if Sutter turns a hat trick, plays a perfect defensive game, and the Pens win. That way, everyone can say "I told you so."
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 am

What the **** is that thing?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 am

columbia wrote:What the **** is that thing?

Gus, Pennsylvania's 2nd most famous groundhog.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 am

aka - the spawn of satan who haunts my darkest nightmares
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

I think PA finally scratched the Gus commericals...probably because they weren't scoring enough.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 am

sil wrote:I think PA finally scratched the Gus commericals...probably because they weren't scoring enough.

I always thought he was a leftover from Mr Rogers
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am

SolidSnake wrote:
sil wrote:I think PA finally scratched the Gus commericals...probably because they weren't scoring enough.

I always thought he was a leftover from Mr Rogers

Close, I guess.

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 am

sil wrote:I don't know if any of the lines are "barely" trying to score, but I do know they are all concerned (amongst several other things) with preventing goals...and preventing goals becomes paramount in the stanley cup playoffs...and it's been that way for half a century.

Well, everyone is saying that Sutter doesn't have a problem because the issue he isn't trying to score. I'm fine with that and am not really talking about his point total. again, not arguing just pointing out production is needed from bottom lines eventually to win a cup. Not points and a goal here and there but forward pressing production. Consistent pressure.

I don't disagree with your last line but that is only half of the answer. We won the cup (games 6 and 7 vs Detroit) by preventing goals AND having role players score all our of goals, in fact ALL of them where from forechecking or neutral zone turnovers.

I simply disagree that our 3rd and 4th lines can sit back for 2 1/2 more series.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
sil wrote:I don't know if any of the lines are "barely" trying to score, but I do know they are all concerned (amongst several other things) with preventing goals...and preventing goals becomes paramount in the stanley cup playoffs...and it's been that way for half a century.

Well, everyone is saying that Sutter doesn't have a problem because the issue he isn't trying to score. I'm fine with that and am not really talking about his point total. again, not arguing just pointing out production is needed from bottom lines eventually to win a cup. Not points and a goal here and there but forward pressing production. Consistent pressure.

I don't disagree with your last line but that is only half of the answer. We won the cup (games 6 and 7 vs Detroit) by preventing goals AND having role players score all our of goals, in fact ALL of them where from forechecking or neutral zone turnovers.

I simply disagree that our 3rd and 4th lines can sit back for 2 1/2 more series.

I don't think anyone would like them to just sit back, nor do most people think that is what they're doing. They are producing points and are a big reason why we're 2 wins from the conference finals.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am

sid was neutralized in the '09 wings series, and geno certainly experienced his share of frustration as well. there's no question that the offensive contributions from the 3rd liners were a big part of winning the cup. if we run into a similar situation this year, i'm nervous about the ability of the bottom half of the lineup to pick up the slack. but it's still too big of an "if" to start making changes now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am

sil wrote:

I don't think anyone would like them to just sit back, nor do most people think that is what they're doing. They are producing points and are a big reason why we're 2 wins from the conference finals.

I don't know a lot of people on this thread have been basically agreeing the lines are not really cycling or pressuring and are arguing its because of their role and style so far and are fine with it.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

shmenguin wrote:sid was neutralized in the '09 wings series, and geno certainly experienced his share of frustration as well. there's no question that the offensive contributions from the 3rd liners were a big part of winning the cup. if we run into a similar situation this year, i'm nervous about the ability of the bottom half of the lineup to pick up the slack. but it's still too big of an "if" to start making changes now.

Staal
Guerin
Kunitz
Dupuis
Fedetenko
Talbot
Kennedy
Cooke
Satan

vs.

Iginla
Neal
Kunitz
Dupuis
Sutter
Morrow
Kennedy
Cooke
Jokinen

Not sure if one has a specific advantage.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

shmenguin wrote:sid was neutralized in the '09 wings series, and geno certainly experienced his share of frustration as well. there's no question that the offensive contributions from the 3rd liners were a big part of winning the cup. if we run into a similar situation this year, i'm nervous about the ability of the bottom half of the lineup to pick up the slack. but it's still too big of an "if" to start making changes now.

Exactly. And should more offense be required JJ and BB could be inserted.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am

sil wrote:

I don't know a lot of people on this thread have been basically agreeing the lines are not really cycling or pressuring and are arguing its because of their role and style so far and are fine with it.

But "not cycling or pressuring" doesn't necessarily equate to "sitting back" either, no?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 22, 2013 12:05 pm

sil wrote:
sil wrote:

But "not cycling or pressuring" doesn't necessarily equate to "sitting back" either, no?

Ha, no but your are talking about your thoughts on the matter specifically. Part of my responses were to others who have specifically said that they are not trying to score and are sitting back and that is why Sutter has looked like he has and they are fine with it. And others have stated that is why Morrow hasn't been real useful as he is in a role not really suited to get the most out of him and not a punishing role.

But either way no matter how you define I think they are going to need to have some push and cycle for us to win the cup. I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying we will need it eventually. Game 3 isn't going to be the only game moving forward that Sid is neutralized and Malkin stoned by a goalie. A team with even a bit more offensive talent than the crappy Sens will take advantage.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 pm

there's a picture of brandon sutter on my facebook feed. i'm being trolled by the penguins.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins