Pens better close this out soon

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens better close this out soon

Postby jwest21 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 pm

CERV96 wrote:Doc and I have the next 2 GDT's we got this!

:thumb: :fist: :thumb:
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I need this series over by Friday night because I'm going to be at a wedding during Game 6 and I'd much rather spend the reception creepin' on ladies on the dance floor than running out every 5 minutes to try to see the game.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:I need this series over by Friday night because I'm going to be at a wedding during Game 6 and I'd much rather spend the reception creepin' on ladies on the dance floor than running out every 5 minutes to try to see the game.

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:00 pm

The U wrote:You will hear both sides of this:

1) The team with the longer resting period between series is going to be RUSTY for game 1. They'll take 2-3 periods to find their stride. Big advantage to the other team that has been playing more recently; they get to keep momentum rolling and find a groove while the other team has to return to playoff action after a "long" layoff.

2) The team with the longer resting period is going to benefit from having more time off to heal, recover, and prepare.

You have to go back to 2007 to find a team that won the cup without a sweep. Not sure its relevant, but it definitely helps to have a series that you dominate on the way through a cup run. We have to take control of this series the rest of the way.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Great58 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

If we close this series out in five games, it looks to me there will be a fairly lengthy pause until the ECF given the scheduling in the West and that both series there could run very long. Game one on Wednesday 5/29 maybe???
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
The U wrote:You will hear both sides of this:

1) The team with the longer resting period between series is going to be RUSTY for game 1. They'll take 2-3 periods to find their stride. Big advantage to the other team that has been playing more recently; they get to keep momentum rolling and find a groove while the other team has to return to playoff action after a "long" layoff.

2) The team with the longer resting period is going to benefit from having more time off to heal, recover, and prepare.

You have to go back to 2007 to find a team that won the cup without a sweep. Not sure its relevant, but it definitely helps to have a series that you dominate on the way through a cup run. We have to take control of this series the rest of the way.

I heard that's what Madden was flipping out about the other night. Every Cup final or Cup-winning team has one "easy" series, and apparently this one was shaping up to be it for the Pens.

I say "was" and not "is" because I'm too nervous to be confident about these things. Please, please, please let us win this series. If Ottawa wins tonight, then I might find it hard to stave off a tiny bit of worry--not going to lie.

I was looking at the Pens' web site recently and saw that there is someone who's a mental training consultant on the hockey ops payroll. I hope she's been on the job the past day or so. Hell, as I assess my nervousness, I think I'm the one who needs the mental training. :?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Let's just sweep the Finals then.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:Let's just sweep the Finals then.

Just like in 1992--an excellent idea! :fist:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf66 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:Should the Bruins sweep and win Game 1 of the CFs, it will be because they had so much time to rest. Should they lose Game 1, it will be because they had too much time to rest. Hockey 101.

Exactly.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm

B's played 3 7 game series in 2011 and still won the Cup. The rest vs. play argument is stupid, especially this year. No team should be completely out of gas after a 7 month layoff and a 48 game schedule.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Or maybe they should be more worn out after such a compressed schedule.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu May 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Or maybe they should be more worn out after such a compressed schedule.

Or maybe they're professional athletes who pay less attention to this nonsense than fans on a message board.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm pretty sure that they don't need to pay attention to it, its present day to day being that it is their life.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu May 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm pretty sure that they don't need to pay attention to it, its present day to day being that it is their life.

Just like message board posting.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins