2013 Eastern Conference Finals Pens v Bruins Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 Eastern Conference Finals Pens v Bruins Thread

Postby MarioLives on Wed May 29, 2013 12:40 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MarioLives wrote:So instead of complaining over a half hour difference, does anyone have any opinion of what is the biggest threat to the Pens in this series? It has got to be the powerplay of the Pens versus the penalty kill of the Bruins right? The Pens relied on the powerplay a lot so far and I know the Bruins have a solid penalty kill. I think even strength scoring will be tough to come by.

The Bruins special teams has been really mediocre so far, I think--I don't think they could have played a worse team to prepare for us than the Rangers, honestly.

Because of the Rangers inablity to score? I agree with that, but I also could argue the Pens are in the same situation. Both disposed of their competition in 5. Boston scares me only because they can score, I think they are second in the East in Goals a game, to the Pens. I do not know what the comparision is between Boston's and the Penguins ESG this playoffs.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:40 pm

The Bruins almost lost to the Maple Leafs, then played a team who couldn't score.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:it all comes down to whether Vokoun starts or FLeury starts. The difference between sweeping and being swept.

Well maybe that's a little extreme, but I do think Vokoun's puckhandling ability and his ability to deal with traffic in front will make life more difficult for the Bruins. Rask is nothing special, and if he and Vokoun play equally in this series, the Pens will win it in five. Boston is very good, but they lack sharpshooters.

The Bruins do like to crowd the crease and get ugly goals.....sometimes that works.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm

MarioLives wrote:So instead of complaining over a half hour difference, does anyone have any opinion of what is the biggest threat to the Pens in this series? It has got to be the powerplay of the Pens versus the penalty kill of the Bruins right? The Pens relied on the powerplay a lot so far and I know the Bruins have a solid penalty kill. I think even strength scoring will be tough to come by.

Stopping the Rangers and Leafs on the power play is one thing, but doing that against Pittsburgh is a whole different animal. Boston had better stay out of the box, because Chara can't play the entire game and if he's not on the ice following a PK or in the box himself, the Bruins defense is vulnerable.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The Bruins almost lost to the Maple Leafs, then played a team who couldn't score.

And they looked tired, even in beating the Rangers. Not to mention the fact that the Leafs had them basically eliminated before they completely melted down in the last few minutes.

Boston has a handful of players who can and will rise to the occasion, especially with the extra rest. But the Pens will be rested too, and they will hit Chara at every possible opportunity. If the Bruins go down 2-0 to the Pens, there's no way they come back and win 4 of 5. The first two games are key in this series because it's Boston's best chance to win. With the Pens speed and depth, a longer series benefits them.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 pm

MarioLives wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

The Bruins special teams has been really mediocre so far, I think--I don't think they could have played a worse team to prepare for us than the Rangers, honestly.

Because of the Rangers inablity to score? I agree with that, but I also could argue the Pens are in the same situation. Both disposed of their competition in 5. Boston scares me only because they can score, I think they are second in the East in Goals a game, to the Pens. I do not know what the comparision is between Boston's and the Penguins ESG this playoffs.

Not so much their inability to score, but their playing styles. Ottawa and Boston are light years closer in that respect than the Penguins and Rangers. They needed to play a real goalie like Anderson to see the damage they could do against him. The only thing I'm weary about is that the Senators claimed to boast a really good defense--I didn't see any of that (aside from Phillips who I thought played well). The Bruins are much tougher on the back end and can insulate Rask very well. One of the Penguins' biggest weaknesses is their inability (maybe more unwillingness) to crash the net. They're going to need a lot of that in this series.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Not so much their inability to score, but their playing styles. Ottawa and Boston are light years closer in that respect than the Penguins and Rangers. They needed to play a real goalie like Anderson to see the damage they could do against him. The only thing I'm weary about is that the Senators claimed to boast a really good defense--I didn't see any of that (aside from Phillips who I thought played well). The Bruins are much tougher on the back end and can insulate Rask very well. One of the Penguins' biggest weaknesses is their inability (maybe more unwillingness) to crash the net. They're going to need a lot of that in this series.

Yep, I think the Pens are going to have to change up their style this series. More of a physical price will have to be made to win this one. Less perimeter play and more net crashing will be needed.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah I always forget about Phillips till I watch him play in the playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Wed May 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Inability and/or unwillingness to crash the net? Someone better tell Iginla, Morrow, Malkin, Crosby, Dupuis, Cooke and Kunitz that they are finesse players. They must not know because they ALL seem to be crashing the pi$$ out of the nets located in Ottawa, Pittsburgh and New York.

The Pens have too much talent AND too much GRIT for any team to beat them. The only team capable of beating the 2013 Penguins is the 2013 Penguins. If they keep their cool they win...bottom line
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Looks like the New Kids on the Block are the whole reason this schedule starts so late and the earliest it could have started was Thursday apparently

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/387551-new-kids-on-the-block-blocking-bruins-pens?eref=fromSI

like REALLY??? THEY are the REASON?!?!?!? :face: :scared:
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

MarioLives wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Yep, I think the Pens are going to have to change up their style this series. More of a physical price will have to be made to win this one. Less perimeter play and more net crashing will be needed.

Boston cycles well and their top 2 lines play good defense. Plus they win faceoffs like crazy. I still believe it was Ottawas offense that caused the issue. They were so inept the Pens had breakouts starting above the faceoff circles everytime. It wont happen this series and will allow the Bruins to trap better than Ottawa could. Because of that we wont be getting clean breaks and wont be able to get a creative offense going as easily.

Because the Bruins lack pure goal scorers on multiple lines the Pens still should have the advantage but its going to take some patience and I still believe all 4 lines will have to play a bit dirtier behind the goal in the Bruins zone. Try to cycle better if you will.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed May 29, 2013 2:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The Bruins almost lost to the Maple Leafs, then played a team who couldn't score.

True, but they were up 3-1 in the series before Reimer managed to put a force field behind him for Games 5 and 6.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:Looks like the New Kids on the Block are the whole reason this schedule starts so late and the earliest it could have started was Thursday apparently

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/387551-new-kids-on-the-block-blocking-bruins-pens?eref=fromSI

That concert was probably planned a year in advance.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed May 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:Looks like the New Kids on the Block are the whole reason this schedule starts so late and the earliest it could have started was Thursday apparently

thats not really my point its the fact that they are the reason...
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Every building has concerts that directly effect the schedule even us this year. The Pens 10 years ago because of their schedule caused the Caps series to be a completely different set up. The league most likely did not want to start on Thursday anyway if the Det - Chi went 7 games. Having 2 days off between games isnt a huge deal or a factor either since I remember that exactly happening a mere week ago.

The time off makes sense, and so does the scheduling.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 29, 2013 3:06 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

...what is exactly your reason?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Jesse said on Twitter than Bergeron's worst faceoff performance this season - not sure if regular or just playoffs or both - was 52%. Yikes. The Pens need to get to their game in the faceoff circle. :pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

They have been practicing them all week long.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Jesse said on Twitter than Bergeron's worst faceoff performance this season - not sure if regular or just playoffs or both - was 52%. Yikes. The Pens need to get to their game in the faceoff circle. :pop:

Julien would do us a favor sending Bergeron's line out against Crosby.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Jesse said on Twitter than Bergeron's worst faceoff performance this season - not sure if regular or just playoffs or both - was 52%. Yikes. The Pens need to get to their game in the faceoff circle. :pop:

Julien would do us a favor sending Bergeron's line out against Crosby.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... y-matchup/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 pm

I'd rather him go up against Malkin, who is going to lose against any half decent faceoff man. Bergeron is better at it than Crosby, I'd rather Crosby go up against someone worse.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Sutter taking care of Krejci's line?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Whenever I hear about a team that's is going to try and match-up their best defensive guys against Crosby, all I think of is:

meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Wed May 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Not sure I like a matchup of Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy vs. Lucic-Krejci-Horton.

But then again, I don't think Bruins will be thrilled about Iginla-Malkin-Neal vs. Peverley-Kelly-Seguin.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 pm

If I was rooting for Boston, I'd want Chara vs Malkin and Bergeron vs Sid. Malkin has a harder time vs bigger, more physical defenders and Sid is easier contained with someone who can match him with speed. It really is pick your poison if they are both on, but if Chara is paired vs Sid, then yes, good luck to him.

I think the biggest mistake Detroit made 4 years ago was going double down on Sid with Zet and Nick and only putting Dats on Malkin. Might not have changed anything, but Malkin was the hotter hand that year.

This is where the match up for Sid and Geno really becomes a problem and the only answer Boston can really have is for the lines going against our 3rd and 4th lines to score and for Rask to steal a couple of games. Their depth allows this to be possible so Pens need to make sure to take advantage of Boston's mistakes and limit their own.

I know that's not earth shattering information, but I think the obvious, in this case, is the series' key point.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins