Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Pens MVP thru two rounds?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens MVP thru two rounds?

Postby malkinshair on Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 am

seabiscuit wrote:If Flower continued against the Islander, the Pens would be out. Vokoun.

This widespread thought is just so :face: to me. The team shut out the isles in game 5, not TV...just like the team shut them out on in game 1, not Fleury. TV's game 6 looked exactly like MAFs games 2 & 3...except Moulson missed the open net.

TV'S been solid, no doubt...but so is MAF when the team in front of him plays as they did this series.

MVP to this point is Sid. He's reestablished that elite level that no one else has.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 am

malkinshair wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:If Flower continued against the Islander, the Pens would be out. Vokoun.

This widespread thought is just so :face: to me.

We'll never find out, but the widespread thought seems like a pretty safe assumption. Maybe you've missed the 1st period of Game 5.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Sat May 25, 2013 8:09 am

I am going with Letang so far. Even with some of his boneheaded moves and lapses in judgement. He is putting up some hall of fame numbers right now offensively in the playoffs and he isn't doing it just on the powerplay. He is quietly only 1 point behind 1st place for the point lead in the playoffs, including all forwards and defenseman.

Other players receiving honorable mention:

On the other hand Vokoun is very worthy of this vote as well, but I think his numbers are more of a product of the entire team playing well in front of him. He has had his lapses in concentration and looked shaky at times as well.

My next to last vote of consideration would be Kunitz. He has elevated his game from the regular season, his forcheck in the Ott series was phenomenal. His hard play rubbed off on the entire team. Not to mention he scored a couple big goals for us and got us started early in games. He would have been my #1 but there were a couple games in the Islander series where he was regularly getting beat to loose pucks and trying to be too cute, but once desperation mode kicked in for the whole team he has been one of the best players on the ice night in and night out.

My last consideration goes to our newest offensive defenseman Doug Murray. He is a playoff warrior and exactly they type of player this team needed in the playoffs. He is blocking shots, smashing opposing players every shift, making good breakout passes consistently, AND scoring goals!!!! He is not the best skater in the league but he is one of the smartest. He picked up the Pens system and tailored his game to fit in the best he could. His uncanny knack of getting pucks through players and on net is immensely helping the Pens.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 25, 2013 8:31 am

Gaucho wrote:I guess his one bad turnover per game somehow outweighs Letang's otherwise spectacular play?

I felt bad leaving him off my list. He has a strong case for #5 at least on my quick list there...definitely no where near the top of the list for me though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 am

malkinshair wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:The team shut out the isles in game 5, not TV...

Patrick Roy didn't win the Conn Smythe in 1993, the entire Montreal Canadiens did. Go hold hands and slurp poutine with your lover for the next couple of weeks while the real goalie wins this team a Stanley Cup.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Sat May 25, 2013 8:56 am

Too many to pass out awards to. Sid exerted domination,TV stabilized the goaltending to where the team could count on their goaltender to not flake out, Malkin, Letang, even Mark Eaton and TK....James Neal went beast-mode the last two games, Martin steadied the blueline and Orpik looked better than all year, Cooke brought it every second of every shift.........GO TEAM :D
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Sat May 25, 2013 8:59 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
malkinshair wrote:

Patrick Roy didn't win the Conn Smythe in 1993, the entire Montreal Canadiens did. Go hold hands and slurp poutine with your lover for the next couple of weeks while the real goalie wins this team a Stanley Cup.

Time for you to tone it down.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 am

malkinshair wrote:

Classy. :roll:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat May 25, 2013 9:24 am

mikey287 wrote:1. Martin
2. Crosby
3. Dupuis
4. Malkin
5. Vokoun

How cool is that list? Really any of the five you listed, could be the MVP so far - And Kunitz could be thrown in the discussion as well.

If I had a vote, I would go with #5. If Brent Johnson (2011-2012) or similar is our backup this year, we're not having any MVP discussions on this board right now, at least about the pens.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Sat May 25, 2013 9:26 am

malkinshair wrote:

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat May 25, 2013 9:32 am

I gotta go with Sid. Its not just about his points, but he's come to play at every game, excelling in every facet of the game. Maintaining composure, playing hurt and leading his team.

The others (minus Vokoun) have had letdowns that cost the Pens games.

Vokoun is 2nd in my mind, because his "value" to the team has been huge, even though he makes it look easy, it is not. In comparison, Andersson & Nabakov both succumbed to the playoff pressure and played below their "normal" level of play.

Martin has been solid game in, game out, but he'd never win, simply not "flashy" enough... shame too, because he's this year's "piece" for the Pens.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 am

Vokoun. All day long. Team was in big time trouble before he came in.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:56 am

Vokoun? In a series where we out-scored OTT by 2x?

Sid by a wide margin. His HT was a purely dominant effort, he shined in just about every phase of the game, and he is tied for the league lead in goals... with his linemate.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 am

Sid? In a series where he went scoreless in two games? So there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sat May 25, 2013 10:30 am

Shakes wrote:
malkinshair wrote:

I apologize to malkinshair, hadn't had my morning cigarette yet, DAMN YOU TERRIE THE SMOKER!! :face:
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby marek on Sat May 25, 2013 11:20 am

Vokoun and it's not even close. Without a solid backstopper making key saves at critical times, the ott series might not be over... Yes the pens offense is in 6th gear but that's also due to the confidence in the guy in net.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat May 25, 2013 11:32 am

pcm wrote:Shero

:thumb:
He gave them options~~ :wink:
Every game a hero, some games, the team gets the W. I still go back to Letang springing
TK against the isles. Turn the key ; glorious offense with steady goaltending and solid D.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat May 25, 2013 11:35 am

Definitely Vokoun and it is not even close.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

TV just seemed to stabilize everything. Even when giving up a soft goal he doesn't get rattled. I think the guys fed off of that.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat May 25, 2013 12:52 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Definitely Vokoun and it is not even close.

6-1 record GGA under 2, yeah can't go wrong with that vote.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat May 25, 2013 12:53 pm

First round: Vokoun
Second round: Martin
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IMFC on Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm

mikey287 wrote:1. Martin
2. Crosby
3. Dupuis
4. Malkin
5. Vokoun

Verrry interesting. Love seeing Martin and Rascal here - that's a real hockey fan's list.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby danish_penguin on Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Tomas Vokoun is the MVP. But Paul Martin is very close behind.
danish_penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Neal ... broke Andersons back. His game 4 first period goal was huge.

Vokoun was huge at the end of the Islanders series.

Overall its easy to sit back look at this team and our MVP Sidney Crosby leads by example.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Sat May 25, 2013 2:02 pm

The Current One wrote:Gotta go with Vokoun, with Crosby and Malkin right behind.

Vokoun? I like Vokoun but to this point he is just making the saves he is supposed to make. The Pens for the most part have played fairly good in front of him. The Pens have also been relentless with pressure which puts the other team on its heals and not in Vokouns face.

I don't discount what Vokoun has done because he certainly could have let in soft garbage goals and he isn't.....having said that there is nothing with his play that is jumping him to the fore front for MVP talk because he hasn't had to. He is playing nice and steady and making the saves he should be making. Nothing more and nothing less.

My MVP so far would be Dupuis. Playing so well at both ends, scoring etc.

In the playoffs this all can change from one series to the next.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins