Dupuis aka Duperstar

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dupuis aka Duperstar

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 am

leads the NHL in playoff goals this postseason and gets essentially zero PP time. Is there anyway that the Pens afford to keep him next season. Dude is straight ballin.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Dupuis aka Duperstar

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 am

This is Duper's last big chance to cash in, as many have noted. However, if he stays here he likely could extend his career further, which would enable him to make more money that way. He'll get a nice raise but if the Pens are willing to give him 3 years I think he'd take a considerable discount to stay here. Even into his late 30's, if he loses a little speed, he's such a valuable penalty killer and team player, they would be foolish not to keep him unless he makes outrageous demands.

Talk about ROI, when you consider the poor production that teams have got in return from some of their stars that have $8 million contracts, Dupuis has to be the bargain of the century:

Scott Gomez 2012: 2g, 11pts, $8,000,000.00

Pascal Dupuis 2012: 25g, 59 pts, $1,500,000.00
Last edited by RxBandit66 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am

I think he stays, he and the pens will find the right numbers for him to stay. There is something that is making him a star in Pittsburgh, i think he is smart enough to realize that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 am

no name wrote:I think he stays, he and the pens will find the right numbers for him to stay. There is something that is making him a star in Pittsburgh, i think he is smart enough to realize that.

Dupuis was in Bylsma's doghouse early on, and he has worked his way to the top line. To Bylsma's credit, he has used him remarkably well. He knows how to be a winger for Sid, mostly with his hustle and awareness of going to the right place on the ice at the right time. With his conditioning, there's no reason to think he can't do this for three more seasons.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 am

Offer him a chance to stay involved in whatever capacity after his pro career to make it possible.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am

no name wrote:I think he stays, he and the pens will find the right numbers for him to stay. There is something that is making him a star in Pittsburgh, i think he is smart enough to realize that.

I initially felt the same way but then Sid went down with a broken jaw and he kept on truckin. His scoring pace was still really strong. In the postseason he has 7 goals and only two of them involved 87. Two of his 7 goals are short handed.

He's basically a steal at his current cap number even if you don't factor in his PK ability. Once you consider how great he is on the PK and that his goal scoring numbers could be much higher if he got PP time I think he gets priced right out of here.

There is just too much talent to keep everyone and Dupuis playing this well could not have been part of the master plan. It's an unexpected positive surprise which is turning into an unexpected problem to be addressed in the off season. Right now I think he is a huge reason and a primary player in the Pens chances at winning another cup.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 am

RxBandit66 wrote:With his conditioning, there's no reason to think he can't do this for three more seasons.

I disagree. I think it would be completely unreasonable to expect any player his age to continue to produce at an elite level--which is what he's been doing @ ES. If you sign him, you do so expecting his production to decrease, as with any player his age.

Based on the fact that he's been significantly underpaid for his contributions the past couple of seasons, I wouldn't mind seeing him overpaid for a couple of years. But he might want to stop reading LGP when his production drops with a large contract!
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 10:27 am

Desiato wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:With his conditioning, there's no reason to think he can't do this for three more seasons.

I disagree. I think it would be completely unreasonable to expect any player his age to continue to produce at an elite level--which is what he's been doing @ ES. If you sign him, you do so expecting his production to decrease, as with any player his age.

Based on the fact that he's been significantly underpaid for his contributions the past couple of seasons, I wouldn't mind seeing him overpaid for a couple of years. But he might want to stop reading LGP when his production drops with a large contract!

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 am

PDAS = Pascal Dupuis Appreciation Society

Find the thread, join the club, Go Duperstar, Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 am

Gaucho wrote:Offer him a chance to stay involved in whatever capacity after his pro career to make it possible.

Maybe he should retire now and become the head coach.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Offer him a chance to stay involved in whatever capacity after his pro career to make it possible.

Maybe he should retire now and become the head coach.

Works for me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 am

Everyone's missing one important factor; we need someone who can produce a full, manly beard to do interviews in the Stanley Cup finals. Dupuis leads the league in this regard.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

At the rate he's producing now, he could be earning double what he's making and still be a bargain. So his production would have to drop quite a bit for him to not be worth his salary.

Bennett will take someone's place in the top 6, but maybe it will be Iggy who stays. Either way, there will be a player who is 35+ years old on a multi year deal in the top 6. Who is more valuable? Who will take the bigger discount? Time will tell, but I like both those guys.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 11:32 am

RxBandit66 wrote:At the rate he's producing now, he could be earning double what he's making and still be a bargain. So his production would have to drop quite a bit for him to not be worth his salary.

Bennett will take someone's place in the top 6, but maybe it will be Iggy who stays. Either way, there will be a player who is 35+ years old on a multi year deal in the top 6. Who is more valuable? Who will take the bigger discount? Time will tell, but I like both those guys.

http://capgeek.com/

correct
Last edited by headh on Tue May 28, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 am

RxBandit66 wrote:At the rate he's producing now, he could be earning double what he's making and still be a bargain. So his production would have to drop quite a bit for him to not be worth his salary.

When his legs go, his production is going to drop off "quite a bit".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

When his legs go, his production is going to drop off "quite a bit".

There are similar age guys producing less and making two, three and four times his salary. Follow the link

http://capgeek.com/
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 11:47 am

Wow, what is capgeek? That would probably be a useful tool to someone, we should probably spread the word about this website!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Wow, what is capgeek? That would probably be a useful tool to someone, we should probably spread the word about this website!

I wasn't informing you of it's existence. I was encouraging you to develop an understanding of the current economic reality of the NHL.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Think I'll pour me a drink.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 pm

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Wow, what is capgeek? That would probably be a useful tool to someone, we should probably spread the word about this website!

I wasn't informing you of it's existence. I was encouraging you to develop an understanding of the current economic reality of the NHL.

Is that the one in which the Pens are already going to be tight against the cap and Shero doesn't overpay to retain players? Are you even trying to make an argument? If not, then what is the point of your post? The only remaining point would be to inform people that this amazing site exists in case they haven't heard of it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm

No wonder this place doesn't attract very many new posters.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm not a member of the Dupuis Appreciation Society and never will be. I just hope Shero isn't giving Dupuis a blank check like some of the posters on here seem to be doing
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

I would love nothing more than to see Dupes re-signed. He's a great example of a throw-in that excelled. That being said, if he gets more than $2.5 mil it will be with another team.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I'm not a member of the Dupuis Appreciation Society and never will be. I just hope Shero isn't giving Dupuis a blank check like some of the posters on here seem to be doing

Why? He has played really well for the past two seasons and actually seems to be improving.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm

headh wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I'm not a member of the Dupuis Appreciation Society and never will be. I just hope Shero isn't giving Dupuis a blank check like some of the posters on here seem to be doing

Why?

Because his last name isn't Crosby, nor is it Malkin. You can't just pay "whatever it takes" to pay replaceable (albeit difficult to do so) players.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins