Playoff layover SUCKS - 3/3 D prospects to WBS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Playoff layover SUCKS - 3/3 D prospects to WBS

Postby Penspal on Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 am

This playoff layoff is killing me.
Spoiler:
Better stop that rhyme right there.

I need some Penguin vs. Boston games STAT!

Maatta & Harrington from London to WBS. I assume this is more of a Black Aces role than as a players? Why not Pouliot? I thought he played very well offensively in the Memorial Cup?
Last edited by Penspal on Fri May 31, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Playoff layover SUCKS - 2/3 D prospects to WBS

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 28, 2013 11:53 am

Playoff Layoff
Playoff Layoff
Playoff Layoff
Playoff Layoff
Playoff Layoff
Playoff Layoff!!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am

I'm on fire...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Penspal wrote:Maatta & Harrington from London to WBS. I assume this is more of a Black Aces role than as a players? Why not Pouliot? I thought he played very well offensively in the Memorial Cup?

Harrington is there to stay. If an awful, awful, injury bug were to hit WBS, Maatta would be more suited to play than Pouliot, who still isn't ready for the physical rigors of the pro-game, although I think it has more to do with just giving Pouliot the time to properly recover from a high-ankle injury he sustained later in the season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Pouliot would benefit from traveling with the team just to see how the organization works.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Penspal wrote:Maatta & Harrington from London to WBS. I assume this is more of a Black Aces role than as a players? Why not Pouliot? I thought he played very well offensively in the Memorial Cup?

Harrington is there to stay. If an awful, awful, injury bug were to hit WBS, Maatta would be more suited to play than Pouliot, who still isn't ready for the physical rigors of the pro-game, although I think it has more to do with just giving Pouliot the time to properly recover from a high-ankle injury he sustained later in the season.

Harrington had an upper body injury too late in the season and looked very rusty upon his return and not himself in the Memorial cup. Therefore he could use the time to properly recover too.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Harrington and Maata will be Pros next year. Pouliout may not even be able to sign an ATO, but he'll be back in juniors.

Harrington is going to be in the NHL next year, if Dale Hunter is right. What a logjam at D we've got... and that's assuming we trade Niskanen.

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin
Harrington/Bortuzzo-Murray/Eaton/Engelland
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 1:00 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Harrington had an upper body injury too late in the season and looked very rusty upon his return and not himself in the Memorial cup. Therefore he could use the time to properly recover too.

Thats negated by the fact that he will be with WBS next season. There is no reason not to get him with the team now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 pm

pcm wrote:Harrington and Maata will be Pros next year. Pouliout may not even be able to sign an ATO, but he'll be back in juniors.

Harrington is going to be in the NHL next year, if Dale Hunter is right. What a logjam at D we've got... and that's assuming we trade Niskanen.

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin

How can Maatta turn pro next year in WBS if he's only turning 19 in August and only has two years with the Knights under his belt?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm

DelPen wrote:
pcm wrote:Harrington and Maata will be Pros next year. Pouliout may not even be able to sign an ATO, but he'll be back in juniors.

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin

How can Maatta turn pro next year in WBS if he's only turning 19 in August and only has two years with the Knights under his belt?

He can't because of the NHL's agreement with the CHL.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/8 ... eement-ahl

Under the arcane rule, when a player is drafted from a Major Junior club, they're only allowed to leave that club to play in the NHL. They can't play in the AHL or any other professional league until they're 20 years old -- or, typically, the age their CHL eligibility has gone. That's despite the fact that the AHL allows players 18 and over in their league.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Bombulie tweeted Pouliot will be joining the WBS team soon too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin

As others said, Maata will not be pro next year unless he's in the NHL -- which he will not be.

Harrington very well could be in the NHL, but there's no need to rush him, especially considering the depth this team has. Young players, specifically defensemen, benefit with more time to learn. We're used to quick transitions of high end prospects to the NHL, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Beyond that, your pairings are quite subjective, as many things could happen. For example...

- Letang could be traded. You've got to believe one of Malkin or Letang will not be able to be re-signed. If so, one of the two will be traded this summer, while they have a year left on their contract, increasing their trade value and avoiding a walk-for-nothing scenario.

- Murray and/or Eaton may not be re-signed.

- Engelland could be Lovejoyed.

Equally subjective as yours, my defense looks like this next year (and not necessarily because I want it to)

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Niskanen
Murray-Harrington
Bortuzzo-Eaton
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Harrington won't take long to make the big squad. Hockey IQ is off the charts, and physically he's just about where he needs to be as well.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 pm

DelPen wrote:Bombulie tweeted Pouliot will be joining the WBS team soon too.

Excellent, the experience will do wonders for them all, glad to see Pouliot join as well.

So, if the other post is correct, Maatta will not be old enough to play should they actually need him as he is only 18?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

My understanding is that he can play since his junior season is up, he just can't join the team next season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Penspal wrote:

Excellent, the experience will do wonders for them all, glad to see Pouliot join as well.

So, if the other post is correct, Maatta will not be old enough to play should they actually need him as he is only 18?

No. He's been called to the AHL since his season is over. He can play this year, but the only way he can play professionally next year is if he stays int he NHL (or returns to the AHL after his team's season is over).
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Penspal wrote:

He could play right now because his OHL season is over, but can't make the AHL full-time until he's 20 because he went through the CHL.

The agreement the NHL has is that players drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHL until their eligibility is effectively up - once they're 20, they can go to the AHL. Until then, they can only play in the AHL once their CHL season is over.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Defence21 wrote:
- Letang could be traded. You've got to believe one of Malkin or Letang will not be able to be re-signed. If so, one of the two will be traded this summer, while they have a year left on their contract, increasing their trade value and avoiding a walk-for-nothing scenario.

Equally subjective as yours, my defense looks like this next year (and not necessarily because I want it to)

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Niskanen
Murray-Harrington
Bortuzzo-Eaton

I just can't see Shero trading the best defenseman this organization has seen in 20 years, especially when there are other much less critical assets that can be moved to make room. And what would you trade Letang for to make this team better? A #1 dman would suddenly become the greatest need...

Shero will sign Letang and Malkin. You don't trade Letang/Malkin so that you can keep Dupuis/Niskanen or whomever. Plus, Fleury's sudden expendability gives Shero even more options.

I could see Malkin possibly wanting to move on, to have his own team, but all accounts say that's not what he wants, so it's likely he'll sign an extension here.

These are generational talents. You keep them as long as they're happy here. Make cuts elsewhere. Draft well, and make sure Blysma is ready to embrace the youth movement.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IMFC on Tue May 28, 2013 3:54 pm

You trade Malkin so you can see the epic SCF with him against Sid. Malkie needs his own gig.

Sign Tanger then you can trade him later if Pouliot is golden and you need bodies.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I think there's a line in the sand with Letang. If he asks for 7 mill he is probably gone and traded for a young player or a drafted player. Not being able to quarterback the powerplay is a major downfall for him. Malkin stays if he signs the same contract. Martin is a buyout or trade candidate. Murray is someone they have to try to keep. Maybe they trade Letang for a goalie and Fleury for a dman. One crazy idea, would Shero trade Letang and Malkin, Fleury and Martin by the start of next year.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Letang is a fantastic player, however, he's the most expendable between the two (Malkin & Letang). Malkin is a generational talent. Letang, although great, has great depth behind him. The Penguins do not have a suitable 2nd-line center to replace Malkin. They let that go when Staal was traded to Carolina.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:10 pm

this layover is brutal and now it figures game 1 on saturday and i might be gone UGHHHHHHHHHHHH
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 pm

pcm wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Niskanen
Murray-Harrington
Bortuzzo-Eaton

I just can't see Shero trading the best defenseman this organization has seen in 20 years, especially when there are other much less critical assets that can be moved to make room. And what would you trade Letang for to make this team better? A #1 dman would suddenly become the greatest need...

Shero will sign Letang and Malkin. You don't trade Letang/Malkin so that you can keep Dupuis/Niskanen or whomever. Plus, Fleury's sudden expendability gives Shero even more options.

I could see Malkin possibly wanting to move on, to have his own team, but all accounts say that's not what he wants, so it's likely he'll sign an extension here.

These are generational talents. You keep them as long as they're happy here. Make cuts elsewhere. Draft well, and make sure Blysma is ready to embrace the youth movement.

No, you don't ditch Malkin or Letang tokeep Dupuis or Niskanen. You ditch one of them to keep a 23 man roster given that both will command more than $7 million per season (with Malkin pushing $9 or more). It's easy to say "you sign them both," but that's with no regard to the salary cap, which will be coming down drastically for next season (which is okay, since both players remain under their current contracts for one more year). But after next season, with two players due for new contracts, we've got to be realistic in understanding that it's entirely likely, and better yet probable that one of them will be gone.

Letang is the one I see being traded because, while he is a generational talent, and definitively the best defenseman ever drafted by the Penguins, he's also playing at a position with significant prospect depth, while Malkin, on the other hand, is playing at a position with no prospect help in sight, aside from Bennett.

You don't trade a Malkin or Letang for the sake of getting better. That won't happen. The team trading the best player in the deal never "wins" the trade. But, by trading one or the other, Shero alleviates a salary cap issue, likely adds a top-five draft pick, high-end prospect, and highly-talented young player to help now and in the future.

If the Penguins expect to remain competitive beyond 2013-14, something has to give, as they can't have half of their payroll tied up in three players.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Sign Geno.

Sign Letang.

/
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner