Colorado's Draft Spot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Colorado's Draft Spot

Postby no name on Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Coloroado would have to sweetin the pot to get Letang. Seth jones will never be a Weber, Suter or Chara. But he would be a steady Orpik with a bit more offence ability. I am not a expert on him but he has some offence but i just don't think it will translate into a great NHL point producer. That said the 3 year enty contract might allow us to make it through the next few years if we want Malkin Iginla and Duper on the same team. But wow even after all that how do we replace Letangs 25 mins of ice time. It would be really hard for us to manage without him.

It is time like this that i am glad i am not Ray Shero and reminds me of the tried and true phrase.,"In Shero i trust."
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm

It's not really up to Shero; if Malkin and Letang demand too much cash, one of them will be gone.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm

sil wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:??? = Letang + Fleury for Giguere and 1st overall.

Then we could have Giggy and Iggy. Will Smith's head will explode.

Plus, we can re-sign Kennedy, and he looks like a piggy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby murphydump55 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 pm

jimjom wrote:I predicted this on twitter 3 weeks ago, MAF to Colorado for the pick plus some loose change.

Considering the Avs gave up a 1st round pick for Varlamov.....uh, no, I doubt it.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 am

Okay, I'm of the opinion that Neal works best with Malkin and his production would deminish if you traded Malkin. So if Malkin were let go, then it might be like losing a player and a 1/2.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Thu May 30, 2013 7:35 am

Neal gets half his points on the pp. his even strength line mates are probably less significant than you'd think
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Thu May 30, 2013 7:44 am

Malkin stays no matter what. I just don't see Shero letting him go and knowing if Sid ever goes down you still got a Franchise center on your team. MAF will never getr you the top pick. Tanger would be the odd man out. Even then i don't see him going. But our cap situation might force something???
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 am

no name wrote:Coloroado would have to sweetin the pot to get Letang. Seth jones will never be a Weber, Suter or Chara. But he would be a steady Orpik with a bit more offence ability. I am not a expert on him but he has some offence but i just don't think it will translate into a great NHL point producer. That said the 3 year enty contract might allow us to make it through the next few years if we want Malkin Iginla and Duper on the same team. But wow even after all that how do we replace Letangs 25 mins of ice time. It would be really hard for us to manage without him.

It is time like this that i am glad i am not Ray Shero and reminds me of the tried and true phrase.,"In Shero i trust."

I have seen nothing to indicate that he's like an Orpik. He is solid defensively and big, but he doesn't pursue hits. He's also a great passer and has a cannon. He projects as a powerplay QB, 26+ minute guy and a pk anchor.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 30, 2013 7:50 am

no name wrote:Malkin stays no matter what. I just don't see Shero letting him go and knowing if Sid ever goes down you still got a Franchise center on your team. MAF will never getr you the top pick. Tanger would be the odd man out. Even then i don't see him going. But our cap situation might force something???

Totally agree here. Prepare for the worst and expect the best. Works in sports as well as in life. :)

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am

Just remember that MAF could still be bought out at the end of next season, when he has only 1 year left on his deal, and when the pens will need to most space for the new Malkin and Letang contracts. If the cap has some rise in 2014-15, AND if Fleury is somehow off the team, we may be in a perfect place to keep both Malkin and Letang.

Lots of time to let things unfold is the point.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:What else would we have to give besides Letang to get Seth Jones. Serious question... I'd lose my mind if we could get Jones

In all honesty, they would have to add. The odds are that Jones never becomes anywhere near as good as Letang. The "evening out" part is the contract situation. But the Avs would be foolish not to do this unless they know for sure Letang wouldn't sign with them. In all your hope of hopes, you can't expect your first round pick defenseman to turn into a perennial Norris candidate.

Needless to say, I wouldn't touch that deal in a thousand years.

I think there's a high possibility of Letang being traded this summer and a package centered around the #1 overall pick would be fantastic. Jones will likely become a top pairing defenseman.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu May 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:Coloroado would have to sweetin the pot to get Letang. Seth jones will never be a Weber, Suter or Chara. But he would be a steady Orpik with a bit more offence ability. I am not a expert on him but he has some offence but i just don't think it will translate into a great NHL point producer. That said the 3 year enty contract might allow us to make it through the next few years if we want Malkin Iginla and Duper on the same team. But wow even after all that how do we replace Letangs 25 mins of ice time. It would be really hard for us to manage without him.

I have seen nothing to indicate that he's like an Orpik. He is solid defensively and big, but he doesn't pursue hits. He's also a great passer and has a cannon. He projects as a powerplay QB, 26+ minute guy and a pk anchor.

Sounds a lot like Weber, Suter, and Chara :pop:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:What else would we have to give besides Letang to get Seth Jones. Serious question... I'd lose my mind if we could get Jones

In all honesty, they would have to add. The odds are that Jones never becomes anywhere near as good as Letang. The "evening out" part is the contract situation. But the Avs would be foolish not to do this unless they know for sure Letang wouldn't sign with them. In all your hope of hopes, you can't expect your first round pick defenseman to turn into a perennial Norris candidate.

I think there's a high possibility of Letang being traded this summer and a package centered around the #1 overall pick would be fantastic. Jones will likely become a top pairing defenseman.

If the Pens go to the finals, there would only be a few days between the end of the finals and the draft. I don't see that being enough time for Shero to explore all his avenues and get a great return.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

If the Pens go to the finals, there would only be a few days between the end of the finals and the draft. I don't see that being enough time for Shero to explore all his avenues and get a great return.

You act as though he hasn't already weighed his options/kicked the tires. The mark of a good/great GM like Shero is forward thinking.

IF he were going to trade for the 1st OV pick, he probably has been inquiring about it since the lottery. IF he's considering trading Letang (and that's probably a big if, unless he knows more about what Letang/his agent want to get than we do), he's probably already been in discussions with interested GM's. I recall him saying he was discussing the Neal trade with Nieuwendyk for a couple months before they pulled the trigger.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

sil wrote:Just remember that MAF could still be bought out at the end of next season, when he has only 1 year left on his deal, and when the pens will need to most space for the new Malkin and Letang contracts. If the cap has some rise in 2014-15, AND if Fleury is somehow off the team, we may be in a perfect place to keep both Malkin and Letang.

I dont understand why people talk about potentially buying out players like Martin or Fleury so they have enough money to re-sign both Letang and Malkin.... Fleury and Martin are both quality NHL players and have value on the trade market..... even if you can only get a couple of mediocre draft picks/prospects, I'd still rather do that than buy them out and still have to pay them money

buyouts should be for players that teams want to dump but have little to no trade value to do so.... not many of those guys are on the Penguins..... the only realistic example I can think of as a buyout candidate would be Tanner Glass, and that isnt going to happen
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Thu May 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Since this is hypothetical, I assume that a GM would at least want to see MAF make it through another playoffs - however long that might be - as the starter, before trading for him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 am

It seems like dumping a goalie like MAF when your only other option is 36 is not a good idea. You need a suitable replacement (long term) before you even consider a trade/buyout/whatever.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 31, 2013 12:53 am

My point always is that Fleury isn't a long-term guy anyway. He's only signed two more years. He's firmly on the bench while the other guy is leading them on a deep playoff run. I think they'd be foolish not to reconsider what they're doing dedicating $5 million in cap space to a guy they're not even using in the playoffs. They obviously will need to find a long-term replacement but Fleury doesn't seem to be any more of a answer for that than Vokoun would be.

I doubt Fleury will have much trade value. There are already several other high profile goalies going to be on the trade market, plus at least Mike Smith as a high profile UFA. Furthermore Fleury has a limited NTC so that can limit the options the Pens have in a trade. And on top of all of that it's well on display that he's not dependable in the playoffs. Not saying it'd be impossible but a trade would be very difficult to work out. Buyout might be their only option to open up some cap space for next season to retain more important players.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am

bhaw wrote:It seems like dumping a goalie like MAF when your only other option is 36 is not a good idea. You need a suitable replacement (long term) before you even consider a trade/buyout/whatever.

With the structure of the skaters on this team, there will always be goalies available that are good enough to get the Pens to a first round exit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 am

GenoMachino71 wrote:
sil wrote:Just remember that MAF could still be bought out at the end of next season, when he has only 1 year left on his deal, and when the pens will need to most space for the new Malkin and Letang contracts. If the cap has some rise in 2014-15, AND if Fleury is somehow off the team, we may be in a perfect place to keep both Malkin and Letang.

I dont understand...

Sounds like a personal problem.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, i'm not sure what there is to not understand in that post. Everything is pretty explicitly stated.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins