Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 am

People are bored and have nothing else to talk about. Need to create some drama.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu May 30, 2013 9:46 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
headh wrote: No team can beat the Penguins other than the Penguins themselves.

This is such an arrogant stance. Any of the 3 remaining teams can beat the Penguins and it wouldn't necessarily be because the Penguins offered them games up on a silver platter. The 4 best teams in hockey are left standing, whoever wins will deserve to win.

Agreed. It may have been true about all of the eliminated teams, but not any more. Boston has the defensive depth to slow down our top 2 lines. LA has the potential to eliminate all offense. Chicago can match up with the pens in terms of talent and have been playing together all season, not just since the deadline. That being said, pens are the favorite.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:

This is such an arrogant stance. Any of the 3 remaining teams can beat the Penguins and it wouldn't necessarily be because the Penguins offered them games up on a silver platter. The 4 best teams in hockey are left standing, whoever wins will deserve to win.

Agreed. It may have been true about all of the eliminated teams, but not any more. Boston has the defensive depth to slow down our top 2 lines. LA has the potential to eliminate all offense. Chicago can match up with the pens in terms of talent and have been playing together all season, not just since the deadline. That being said, pens are the favorite.

nonsense. If the Penguins lose this or any remaining series it will be due to mistakes or lack of composure. If all the remaining teams play to their peak abilities individually and as teams the Pens win the next 8 games
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ScottishPenguin on Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

MarioLives wrote:I was listening to sports talk radio

Why? Did you not have a headache, but do have an addiction to painkillers and needed a pretext to take some?

and a lot of Pens fans were calling in talking about how they fear for Crosby and his concussions/Jaw as well as Malkin's health playing the Bruins?? Are the Bruins really this tough and bad or is there some weird misconception about the Pens being soft? I have not heard this type of talk all playoffs, until now.

With all the bad luck this team has had with injuries over the last few years, we've got used to having at least one star player in sick bay. It's easy to assume that we're due for a massive concussion or ACL tear or acute Subbanitis of the foot.

The Bruins are overflowing with goon juice, but this is conference final. There will be moments where we all scream at the TV and demand vengeance, but even the Bruins won't throw away a shot at the cup just to be ***holes.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 am

headh wrote:

nonsense. If the Penguins lose this or any remaining series it will be due to mistakes or lack of composure. If all the remaining teams play to their peak abilities individually and as teams the Pens win the next 8 games

I disagree. This is the best final 4 in a long long time and I think any one of these 4 teams left could win it. You're talking 'perfect world' scenarios or paper matchups but the games are played in real life.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:
headh wrote:

Prior to adding Vokoun, Morrow, Iginla, Morrow and Jussi I would have agreed with you. Since adding them without having to trade away and NHL level talent I completely disagree with you. This team is simply too good, too tough and too smart to lose.

I disagree. This is the best final 4 in a long long time and I think any one of these 4 teams left could win it. You're talking 'perfect world' scenarios or paper matchups but the games are played in real life.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 10:58 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:
headh wrote:

Prior to adding Vokoun, Morrow, Iginla, Morrow and Jussi I would have agreed with you. Since adding them without having to trade away any NHL level talent I completely disagree with you. This team is simply too good, too tough and too smart to lose.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I disagree. This is the best final 4 in a long long time and I think any one of these 4 teams left could win it. You're talking 'perfect world' scenarios or paper matchups but the games are played in real life.

Yep, and these last 4 teams are the last 4 cup champions, so they all know how to win as well.

This is going to be a great end to the season if you are a hockey fan overall.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

TwoSheds wrote:The only thing we have to fear is....fear itself!
(and killer monkeys from West Mifflin...ohhhh, Scary!)

Count Floyd!

Actually they are blood sucking monkeys from West Mifflin. :lol:

"And they had to ruin that beautiful Golden Triangle..."
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby astro4k on Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think its going to be a tough series.

Why? (And I'm not being sarcastic.) Other than Lucic finding his game and being a physical team, what do they have going for them?

Remember how the Bs got here: couldn't overtake a crumbling Habs team for the #2 seed at the end of the season; needed an epic collapse by a team that hadn't been in the playoffs for many years in Toronto; and beat a Rags team that couldn't even spell offense, yet alone produce any. Give them credit for heart & perseverance but there's nothing there that suggests a dominant (or even a very good) team.
astro4k
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Every game will be close, but I honestly don't believe the Bruins have enough offense to beat Pittsburgh. I think they are going to have to score a lot of soft goals to win, especially if their PK can't stop the pens PP. The Bruins gave the Rangers plenty of good offensive chances despite controlling the play the entire series, the Rangers were just too putrid offensively to capitalize on them. Pittsburgh won't have that problem.

For Boston to win they will have to tilt the ice and control play much the way they did against NY. I don't think they can do that to Pittsburgh. If the scoring chances are even..Pittsburgh is going to score more often. They have the better goal scorers.

As for the two teams in the west. If the Pens get there, luckily they will only have to play one of them. Right now I'd rather play LA. San Jose beat them with their power play on home ice and won every game. I think Pittsburgh could beat them with their power play. Chicago's speed worries me, but it would be interesting to see how they'd fair against an offense more potent than theirs after playing the whole year with a massive offensive advantage over every other team. There is a big change going from every other team having to worry about your offense and getting those matchup to you having to worry about the other teams star players more than they have to worry about yours.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 30, 2013 12:55 pm

MarioLives wrote:I was listening to sports talk radio and a lot of Pens fans were calling in talking about how they fear for Crosby and his concussions/Jaw as well as Malkin's health playing the Bruins?? Are the Bruins really this tough and bad or is there some weird misconception about the Pens being soft? I have not heard this type of talk all playoffs, until now.

You need only look back at the last time the Bruins were in the final (2 short years ago). The Bruins beat
Spoiler:
quite literally
Vancouver with the type of playoff goonery that is rampant in this year's playoffs. Granted, the Sedins are soff, but there were countless non calls that contributed to Boston beating a much more skilled Vancouver team.

Boston has Lucic, Thornton, Chara and Horton who will be throwing their considerable weight around. Add Marchand & McQuade who are dirty, and there is a segment of the Pens fan base who have reason to worrry (worriers got to worry much like haters got to hate)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu May 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Everybody was a Kung Fu Fighting
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RPKJr429 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:12 pm

dododododo dodo do do DO
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 pm

To do dude who thinks we would sweep LA:

lolno.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm not scared. With the past 4 Cup champions remaining, it's the Penguins turn to win it.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Admin wrote:Scared?! I'm bored. This layoff is brutal.

Is it training camp yet?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Penspal wrote:
Boston has Lucic, Thornton, Chara and Horton who will be throwing their considerable weight around. Add Marchand & McQuade who are dirty, and there is a segment of the Pens fan base who have reason to worrry (worriers got to worry much like haters got to hate)

and Pittsburgh has changed their roster to deal with that type of physical approach. With Iginla, Kunitz, Cooke and Morrow each line has a physical presence and maturity level to deal with all comers. With Murray and Orpik the Pens Defensive unit lays the hits at least as well as any other team left. Simply put the physical series is to our advantage now.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu May 30, 2013 1:45 pm

This is such an arrogant stance.

DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Thu May 30, 2013 1:45 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:The long layoff has some people a little anxious

Yep that's all.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm

MarioLives wrote:I was listening to sports talk radio and a lot of Pens fans were calling in talking about how they fear for Crosby and his concussions/Jaw as well as Malkin's health playing the Bruins?? Are the Bruins really this tough and bad or is there some weird misconception about the Pens being soft? I have not heard this type of talk all playoffs, until now.

I think the concern is legitimate. They have some big hitters and hotheads. Not saying they're going to bully us because we can play that way too, just that if they play to their potential this is going to be a hard series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm more surprised at the number of Bruin fan comments I read everywhere stating that the Bruins will have a cake walk over the soft, slower Penguin's team that had it easy until now.

Seriously, where does that come from??

Have they not noticed the Pens superior speed everywhere?

The physicality of Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Iginla, Morrow, Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy (yes), Adams, Orpik and Murray??

What games have Bruin's fans been watching? Also, have they not remembered that the Pens have swept the season series?

Scratching my head!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 pm

I love when Malkin throws huge hits. I think there was one in the Isles series, just laid him out clean with a shoulder in open ice. Beautiful.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 pm

the only people that are scared are steelers fans waiting for august.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Reading some of their quotes on hfboards does make me want to see Pens throw it all in their face. They think they're going to physically run over us and some of these matchups they come up with thinking they can slow down Crosby and Malkin... like, they can throw at our guys whatever the F they want, they can't possibly match either of them. We have star power and incredible depth now. What Shero did this season is just amazing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins