Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby MarioLives on Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Malkin and Neal worry me the most actually. It seems to be very easy to throw them off their game with cheap shots. They take penalties and retaliate a lot when flustered.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby DelPen on Thu May 30, 2013 2:22 pm

MarioLives wrote:Malkin and Neal worry me the most actually. It seems to be very easy to throw them off their game with cheap shots. They take penalties and retaliate a lot when flustered.


Neal usually makes it his mission to grind down Chara. He has played great vs the Bruins since he came here.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,225
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 pm

MarioLives wrote:Malkin and Neal worry me the most actually. It seems to be very easy to throw them off their game with cheap shots. They take penalties and retaliate a lot when flustered.



I sincerely believe that Iginla will have a calming influence and help them focus. He is a real leader
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

It's is probably just a fear of not being in control. It's like someone who says they have a fear of flying. That, more often than not, is a fear of not being in control. Next time someone tells you that they are afraid to fly, ask them if they could get in the cockpit and fly the plane would they do it. Betcha they say that they would.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Kaizer on Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:It's is probably just a fear of not being in control. It's like someone who says they have a fear of flying. That, more often than not, is a fear of not being in control. Next time someone tells you that they are afraid to fly, ask them if they could get in the cockpit and fly the plane would they do it. Betcha they say that they would.

BEPF


and that would pretty much guarantee that they die in a plane crash.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,296
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Pitts on Thu May 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Oh, yeah, that was another -- Boston's superior depth! HUH??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,369
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Penspal on Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm

headh wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Boston has Lucic, Thornton, Chara and Horton who will be throwing their considerable weight around. Add Marchand & McQuade who are dirty, and there is a segment of the Pens fan base who have reason to worrry (worriers got to worry much like haters got to hate)


and Pittsburgh has changed their roster to deal with that type of physical approach. With Iginla, Kunitz, Cooke and Morrow each line has a physical presence and maturity level to deal with all comers. With Murray and Orpik the Pens Defensive unit lays the hits at least as well as any other team left. Simply put the physical series is to our advantage now.


I agree with you, but also see where the fear comes from. At the end of the day, the better team will win with all things being equal. I personally am more worried about crap officiating and a lack of suspensions for bad hits.

Bruins are limping in. 2 d are banged up, but they are 2nd in scoring without Seguin playing well. They are a tougher challenge than Isles or Ottawa and I can see this going 6 or 7 games.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,371
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby frenchpens-fan on Thu May 30, 2013 3:29 pm

I think that many pens fans are scared because the pens are favorites and as all favourites, there has a lot of pressure.
frenchpens-fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: Marseille, France

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 pm

So do I now have a layoff beard?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,238
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:It is going to be a long tough series but I have full confidence in this team. Chara can only shut down one Pen. Depth prevails.

GO PENS GO! This is going to be a fun ride!


The Pens do not have a problem with Chara. They do not have a problem with Seidenberg. They do not have a problem with Ference or Boychuk or any other D not named Krug. That guy is the X-factor, but I am hoping the break closed the storybook for him. He injects an offensive element that the Bruins have not had in our meetings with them this year or last.

I remember Chris Kreider for the Rangers in last year's run. Ranger fans assumed he was the 2nd coming. You see what an off-season did to his story. Hopefully a week off cools him off too.

All things being equal with two healthy teams, the Pens should be able to minimize the damage the Bruins can do offensively and structure alone is not going to be enough to shelter Rask.

Pens in 5. LA up next. That is where it gets scarey. I'd rather play Chicago because we will punish them physically. That is why I believe LA beats them though.

It will be very difficult to beat the defending Champ when they have played well enough to get back to the Final - but we've done that before too.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Penspal wrote:
headh wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Boston has Lucic, Thornton, Chara and Horton who will be throwing their considerable weight around. Add Marchand & McQuade who are dirty, and there is a segment of the Pens fan base who have reason to worrry (worriers got to worry much like haters got to hate)


and Pittsburgh has changed their roster to deal with that type of physical approach. With Iginla, Kunitz, Cooke and Morrow each line has a physical presence and maturity level to deal with all comers. With Murray and Orpik the Pens Defensive unit lays the hits at least as well as any other team left. Simply put the physical series is to our advantage now.


I agree with you, but also see where the fear comes from. At the end of the day, the better team will win with all things being equal. I personally am more worried about crap officiating and a lack of suspensions for bad hits.

Bruins are limping in. 2 d are banged up, but they are 2nd in scoring without Seguin playing well. They are a tougher challenge than Isles or Ottawa and I can see this going 6 or 7 games.


Temper that 2nd in scoring with the fact that they have played Toronto who has no D and so-so goaltending followed by a Ranger team that basically sacrificed puck possession by playing possum in every game.

I would expect that we will be going forward more than NYR and be better defensively and in goal than Toronto.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm

RJW76 wrote:
I was listening to sports talk radio


There's your problem right there.


This...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,204
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
RJW76 wrote:
I was listening to sports talk radio


There's your problem right there.


This...


Not trying to start anything but what is the difference between sports talk radio and this message board? One could argue that both forums contain idiots, trolls, uninformed and opinionated people..... Why is this better?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 31, 2013 5:40 pm

People here don't get paid so there is no reason to try to drive ratings so they make extra money. We just say what we think.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,074
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:People here don't get paid so there is no reason to try to drive ratings so they make extra money. We just say what we think.


Good point. I was referring more to those that call into the shows.... They were the ones saying how scared they were. But your point is valid
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 pm

People who call in to radio shows are typically people who don't have the internet to voice their opinion on.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,579
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Why do fans seem a little scared right now?

Postby Desiato on Fri May 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Players like Murray and Morrow provide the Pens with the protection of mutually assured destruction, should the Bruins make the series really ugly; they have as much to lose as the Pens in such an engagement.

My main concern is the pace at which Pens adapt to a successful strategy from their opponents. It cost them a game or two against the Islanders and a game against the Sens. They can't afford to waste any games against the Bruins, a more formidable, experienced and confident group.

There may not be any room for Malkin or Letang to be too cute with the puck. Bad plays they got away with in the first two rounds could eliminate the Pens.

As formidable as the Bruins may be, the team with the greatest chance of defeating the Pens remains the Pens themselves.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,186
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

e-mail