Ryan Mill

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ryan Mill

Postby Pitts on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I can't believe any one really cares enough about how goals are announced at a hockey game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 pm

I personally hope we hear his goal calling voice more than once tomorrow.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am

HockeyBurgh wrote:
IanMoran wrote:He's awful. By far the worst pa I've ever personally heard. I'm not normally the type to be bothered by pa or announcers in general (never understand all the complaining of ppl I barely notice every game), but he negatively impacts the environment of going to a game for me

Listen to the LA Kings PA Announcer if you want a better appreciation for Mill.

Like others have said, Some of his pronunciations need to be tweaked but he has come a long way from the first season in Consol. Hope he continues to develop over the years.

I know he's not the worst.. just the worst I've ever heard. I haven't heard many PA announcers... only games I've been to: Pittsburgh Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, Pitt Panthers football / basketball, in the years of 95-2013. And one twins game in 2012. Of that limited sample size, he's the only PA I've ever noticed as negatively impacting my experience. He may be a nice guy, he may have improved, but just his "style" is maddenining to me. I understand that's becoming more popular and not "terrible" to everyone, but it still bothers the hell out of me
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why Not Us on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am

I think a major part of what makes Mill annoying is tries too hard to be a part of the game experience. And why wouldn't he wanna be? He makes a living on his voice talents. But Barbero was a principal who seemed to be more of a natural pa announcer, probably due to the pa announcements he had to do at school. Mill comes off as trying to make each goal call its own commercial so to speak.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 am

I am really trying to like him, just like I'm really trying to like Consol. Not really getting anywhere with either. Maybe if it was one or the other (stupid arena sounds or stupid monster truck announcer) I'd feel okay about it. I don't really like the Consol game experience very much.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 am

I wouldn't have noticed a difference if I didn't know Barbaro had passed away. The PA announcer is probably the very smallest contributor to the experience at a sporting event.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't have noticed a difference if I didn't know Barbaro had passed away. The PA announcer is probably the very smallest contributor to the experience at a sporting event.

Well, every sporting event has the same baseline for experience because of the game being played/teams involved.

From there you have a number of things that contribute to how far up you go from there. I enjoyed going to games at Mellon a significant amount more than I enjoy Consol games. I'll continue to be a STH and continue to go to games, but, not a big fan of Mill or Consol.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

I did too, but that was never because of the PA announcer. Seats were better, seat location was better, my view was better, and the upper level concourses were ~the same.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Ryan Mill is the worst announcer I've ever heard at any sporting event. He shouts, mispronounces things, and puts emphasis on the wrong syllables. He's a hack to the first degree.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 pm

topshelf wrote:He has improved and he is good for the style of P.A. guys that the NHL boasts now.

Talk about a tough act to follow, though. Barbaro was on another level.

I will always remember the off ice official Leo RRRRRRRRRRRRotski
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

PAPLine wrote:
topshelf wrote:He has improved and he is good for the style of P.A. guys that the NHL boasts now.

Talk about a tough act to follow, though. Barbaro was on another level.

I will always remember the off ice official Leo RRRRRRRRRRRRotski

:thumb:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm not sure who either would be, but the worst NHL PA announcer is better than the best NBA PA announcer.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins