6/1/13 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 6/1/13 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 am

Welp, we were never going to sweep them anyway, right?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 am

embarrassing.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:32 am

Gaucho wrote:Welp, we were never going to sweep them anyway, right?

I didn't think they were going to get their asses handed to them. Shutout, Agitated, Rattled. It looks like the Flyers series last year.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 am

We got unlucky. No way Rask will be that good/lucky again.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Godric on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:We got unlucky. No way Rask will be that good/lucky again.

Halak.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 am

Godric wrote:

I didn't think they were going to get their asses handed to them. Shutout, Agitated, Rattled. It looks like the Flyers series last year.

lol?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:35 am

Don't think I've ever been so okay with a playoff loss. Rask got three posts and a fluky helmet save and gave up a ton of sweet, juicy rebounds. He's ripe for the pickin', even if history will say he got a shutout. After all, Fleury got a shutout against the Isles and we all know how much that meant.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:03 am

Close game. Flukey goals against, and the Pens had infinite chances to score. I hope all the bad puck luck was worked out in this game.

This is the Cup. It isn't supposed to be easy. If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth playing for.

Strap up and get ready for Monday night. Pens in 6.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:46 am

Gaucho wrote:
Godric wrote:

lol?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 am

Rocco wrote:
nocera wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Rask is beatable right?

He'll definitely get the shut out.

It's a little early to engage the Shutout Derailment Protocol.

So you two are to blame
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:57 am

Godric wrote:

It looked nothing like the flyers series last year. Why do people keep saying that?

We didn't have our asses handed to us. My lord, we played fantastic for the better part of this game. Rask was unbeatable/lucky tonight.

End of story.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:29 am

There's no question that the Pens were agitated. You just have to look at the stat sheet for confirmation.

And yes, from that standpoint, it very much looked like the Flyers series.

It was different in the respect that the Pens still showed a lot of energy, did a great job of cycling the puck, and had a number of outstanding chances.

I'm still optimistic that we can pull this series out.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 am

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 7h
Cooke will not have a hearing for his second-period hit on McQuiad, which got him a major penalty.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 am

columbia wrote:
Cooke will not have a hearing for his second-period hit on McQuiad, which got him a major penalty.

Good, that hit has occurred tons of times in these playoffs with no call.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iceolater on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 am

It's 1 game...yeah Sid lost his cool..Geno fought but overall we had opportunities to score. Power play with NO goals hurt. Cooke reputation BS call hurt. Marchant is the refs golden boy who should have been a 5 min major and game too. However, we need to continue working hard and the Pens will prevail. One thing I do have a complaint about is Niski.. He sucks! Would rather have Bortuzzo or Depres playing. Keep the faith and we will get it done.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 am

columbia wrote:

Even Julien thought that McQuaid sort of put himself in a vulnerable position there. I'd agree with a 2min boarding call....a major was way overboard. McQuaid sold that really well too.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby midd on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 am

Agreed. Don't forget the one that went right along the goal line at the end of the period. The refs blew some calls and non-calls but can't blame them. One game after an 8 day layoff and I'm ok with the loss. Pens need to refocus and hunker down. Letang should probably not pinch in so much so early in the game.

wondermoose wrote:Don't think I've ever been so okay with a playoff loss. Rask got three posts and a fluky helmet save and gave up a ton of sweet, juicy rebounds. He's ripe for the pickin', even if history will say he got a shutout. After all, Fleury got a shutout against the Isles and we all know how much that meant.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 am

I woke up this morning hoping it was all a bad dream, alas, it was not. ;)

Regroup, get a stern lecture from the triumvirate, (Iginla, Morrow, Murray) and get back to playing your game in Game two on Monday night.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am

This team this year has been very good at not getting frustrated when they aren't scoring (a huge problem in the past), but I think coming so close but not scoring combined with Cooke being ejected plus the Bruins being allowed to basically interfere/impede the Pens all over the ice pushed the team past their boiling point. The Bruins' sticks were also insane last night...tons of open Pens that didn't get the puck due to deflections/blocks. It all added up to one big bowl of gggrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh.

It's one game...but if the officiating stays the same it becomes a huge advantage for the Bruins. I can't stand the fact that the hook on Malkin by Bergeron? was made after he was hooked and interfered with by Berg and Jagr all the way thru the neutral zone. People will say 'well they did call the penalty', but the bigger point is if they don't hook him in the neutral zone, he's free and clear when he takes that pass. The only reason Berg was able to hook his hands by the net is because of what happened in the NZ...and the refs arm wasn't up until the shot was taken. Also should've been a penalty shot IMO...or a hook to Jagr in the NZ then the hook on Berg at the net.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:49 am

Godric wrote:embarrassing.

How so? The Bruins we outplayed for 3/4 of the game, then got some "lucky" bounces in the 3rd. Until the last 15 minutes, I thought the Pens were the far superior team. The Bruins defintiely have trouble keeping up with the Pens when they use their speed. Rask will not get another shut out in this series.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby luv66 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 am

The U wrote:I think the 8 day layoff took some of the emotion out for me. I feel like I should be mad we lost, but I'm not. I was never excited, nervous, or upset all game...which is bizarre.

Me too. I didn't see the game though (I was at the Pirates game, I bought those tix long before the ECF schedule was set) but normally I would be freaking out watching the updates on my phone. Maybe it was the beers I drank :?
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 am

I'm already quite annoyed with the notion that now, anytime, in any game, in any year, where the Pens look frustrated or agitated, it's the Flyers series all over again. So the situation couldn't possibly be different? It's lazy on the part of the talking heads who are supposed to break down the game at hand. But it's the analysis we've come to expect from such hockey minds like Milbury and Jones.

I saw some "investment hockey" last night on the Pens' part. Bodes well.

I can't stand the Bruins or their fans--never could. I'm avoiding HF at all costs for the rest of the series.

Rask was excellent, but I think the Pens helped him a bit. They were looking for perfect corners, getting a bit cute on the PP, and not asserting themselves in front of him. The Pens have p'ed him off enough times to know he can be had again, whereas Halak back in '10 was a relatively unknown quantity.

Iginla must be used better on Monday! I'd also like to see the PP formation that was cranking at 30-some %, not last night's. Why help the Bruins on this front?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
columbia wrote:

Good, that hit has occurred tons of times in these playoffs with no call.

Yeah, it's ironic that the 'big bad Bruins' that can 'physically manhandle' other teams resort to laying on the ice to draw a match penalty...and shame on the ref for buying it. I can't wait to see Marchand flop like he was taken down by a sniper.

The thing that bothers me the most is that if this is anyone but Cooke, it's maybe a 2min penalty. What penance must this guy perform to get in the same area code of 'fairness' that the rest of the league enjoys? He hasn't done anything in, what, almost 3 years. It's pathetic.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am

Pitts wrote:
Godric wrote:embarrassing.

How so? The Bruins we outplayed for 3/4 of the game, then got some "lucky" bounces in the 3rd. Until the last 15 minutes, I thought the Pens were the far superior team. The Bruins defintiely have trouble keeping up with the Pens when they use their speed. Rask will not get another shut out in this series.

Embarrassing from the standpoint of allowing the Bruins to cause our stars to lose their comportment.

There's no question that Sid spent energy trying to make 'statements' to Rask and Chara that did not involve putting the puck in the net. Cooke allowed himself to be put in a position where he was tossed from the game. Malkin lost his cool and became the second PP guy, from the top PP unit, who was unavailable for a VERY big PP.

That's what's embarrassing.

We're good, we showed that in many aspects of the game last night, but we're not good enough to get goaded into wasting energy on that type of stuff. The outcome of last nights game (and the reminders of how Philly was able to use that against us last year) is evidence enough for this Pens fan.

Embarrassing? Yeah, Hopeless? Not at all.

This is where the genius that is GMRS comes into play. If Bylsma can't get through to these guys, maybe MIM can (Morrow, Ignila, Murray).

Let's go boys.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 am

malkinshair wrote:This team this year has been very good at not getting frustrated when they aren't scoring (a huge problem in the past), but I think coming so close but not scoring combined with Cooke being ejected plus the Bruins being allowed to basically interfere/impede the Pens all over the ice pushed the team past their boiling point. The Bruins' sticks were also insane last night...tons of open Pens that didn't get the puck due to deflections/blocks. It all added up to one big bowl of gggrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh.

It's one game...but if the officiating stays the same it becomes a huge advantage for the Bruins. I can't stand the fact that the hook on Malkin by Bergeron? was made after he was hooked and interfered with by Berg and Jagr all the way thru the neutral zone. People will say 'well they did call the penalty', but the bigger point is if they don't hook him in the neutral zone, he's free and clear when he takes that pass. The only reason Berg was able to hook his hands by the net is because of what happened in the NZ...and the refs arm wasn't up until the shot was taken. Also should've been a penalty shot IMO...or a hook to Jagr in the NZ then the hook on Berg at the net.

The Pens had plenty of opportunities on the PP and didn't convert, stop blaming the officials dude. It was a hockey game between two very good teams and we came up on the short end, is it so hard to leave it at that?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins