6/1/13 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 6/1/13 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 am

Godric wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:We got unlucky. No way Rask will be that good/lucky again.

Halak.

This is the same goalie who had a difficult time shutting down the likes of Clarke MacArthur and Phil Kessel, lolololololololol.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
Godric wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:We got unlucky. No way Rask will be that good/lucky again.

Halak.

This is the same goalie who had a difficult time shutting down the likes of Clarke MacArthur and Phil Kessel, lolololololololol.

They won that series IIRC.

Chill folks.

There's truth to both sides of these arguments. But we're far from meltdown territory.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am

You sure? I mean im cool and all, but im not sure about the rest of LGP.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Godric wrote:

Halak.

Der-hey.

Not because of Rask and not because he's some sort of world-beater. Comparing him to a goalie who had two of the best playoff series in NHL history because of one game is idiotic.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:09 am

The most baffling thing to me is that a lot of people on here picked the Penguins in 7, then, when the Penguins lose Game 1, we shift into nuclear meltdown mode. The Bruins had to get those 3 wins somewhere, eh?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 am

malkinshair wrote:This team this year has been very good at not getting frustrated when they aren't scoring (a huge problem in the past), but I think coming so close but not scoring combined with Cooke being ejected plus the Bruins being allowed to basically interfere/impede the Pens all over the ice pushed the team past their boiling point. The Bruins' sticks were also insane last night...tons of open Pens that didn't get the puck due to deflections/blocks. It all added up to one big bowl of gggrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh.

It's one game...but if the officiating stays the same it becomes a huge advantage for the Bruins. I can't stand the fact that the hook on Malkin by Bergeron? was made after he was hooked and interfered with by Berg and Jagr all the way thru the neutral zone. People will say 'well they did call the penalty', but the bigger point is if they don't hook him in the neutral zone, he's free and clear when he takes that pass. The only reason Berg was able to hook his hands by the net is because of what happened in the NZ...and the refs arm wasn't up until the shot was taken. Also should've been a penalty shot IMO...or a hook to Jagr in the NZ then the hook on Berg at the net.

The Pens had plenty of opportunities on the PP and didn't convert, stop blaming the officials dude. It was a hockey game between two very good teams and we came up on the short end, is it so hard to leave it at that?

These are two very good teams that play completely different styles. If the officiating is called to favor one style of play over the other, is it not a story? The Bruins can't skate with the Pens, but they can slow them down if they're allowed to interfere and impede.

No one is blaming the refs, dude :roll: . The Pens are the better team overall, but that line gets a whole lot closer if the games are going to be officiated as they were last night. Do you disagree?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:33 am

Getting To My Game wrote: The Bruins had to get those 3 wins somewhere, eh?

I'd have preferred not giving them a win (shutout at that) in the first game, on home ice. But that's just me.

It's understandable that folks are upset. You do know that 'fan' is short for fanatic, right?

If pounding your chest and calling other people idiots is your way of showing your superior intelligence, well, be my guest. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

malkinshair wrote:
malkinshair wrote:This team this year has been very good at not getting frustrated when they aren't scoring (a huge problem in the past), but I think coming so close but not scoring combined with Cooke being ejected plus the Bruins being allowed to basically interfere/impede the Pens all over the ice pushed the team past their boiling point. The Bruins' sticks were also insane last night...tons of open Pens that didn't get the puck due to deflections/blocks. It all added up to one big bowl of gggrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh.

It's one game...but if the officiating stays the same it becomes a huge advantage for the Bruins. I can't stand the fact that the hook on Malkin by Bergeron? was made after he was hooked and interfered with by Berg and Jagr all the way thru the neutral zone. People will say 'well they did call the penalty', but the bigger point is if they don't hook him in the neutral zone, he's free and clear when he takes that pass. The only reason Berg was able to hook his hands by the net is because of what happened in the NZ...and the refs arm wasn't up until the shot was taken. Also should've been a penalty shot IMO...or a hook to Jagr in the NZ then the hook on Berg at the net.

The Pens had plenty of opportunities on the PP and didn't convert, stop blaming the officials dude. It was a hockey game between two very good teams and we came up on the short end, is it so hard to leave it at that?

These are two very good teams that play completely different styles. If the officiating is called to favor one style of play over the other, is it not a story? The Bruins can't skate with the Pens, but they can slow them down if they're allowed to interfere and impede.

No one is blaming the refs, dude :roll: . The Pens are the better team overall, but that line gets a whole lot closer if the games are going to be officiated as they were last night. Do you disagree?

There's always going to be more hooking and holding as you get deeper into the playoffs. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 am

malkinshair wrote:

There's always going to be more hooking and holding as you get deeper into the playoffs. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be.

After all, it's is a "garage league" :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 am

Spoiler:
malkinshair wrote:

Oh, okay...then I guess it's cool. Bylsma should coach his players on how to hold and interfere.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:49 am

malkinshair wrote:
Spoiler:
malkinshair wrote:

Oh, okay...then I guess it's cool. Bylsma should coach his players on how to hold and interfere.

I agree, sadly, there's no consistency in officiating, especially with the 2 ref system. That's why it's so frustrating, for both teams.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 am

Getting To My Game wrote:The most baffling thing to me is that a lot of people on here picked the Penguins in 7, then, when the Penguins lose Game 1, we shift into nuclear meltdown mode. The Bruins had to get those 3 wins somewhere, eh?

Exactly. And the Pens are either getting eliminated in this round or next - or they are going on to win the cup. Either way, we're looking at 3-5 more losses in the postseason - unless people think we're going to win the next 8 games. 8-)

I still like our chances of advancing to the finals.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Godric wrote:embarrassing.

How so? The Bruins we outplayed for 3/4 of the game, then got some "lucky" bounces in the 3rd. Until the last 15 minutes, I thought the Pens were the far superior team. The Bruins defintiely have trouble keeping up with the Pens when they use their speed. Rask will not get another shut out in this series.

Embarrassing from the standpoint of allowing the Bruins to cause our stars to lose their comportment.

There's no question that Sid spent energy trying to make 'statements' to Rask and Chara that did not involve putting the puck in the net. Cooke allowed himself to be put in a position where he was tossed from the game. Malkin lost his cool and became the second PP guy, from the top PP unit, who was unavailable for a VERY big PP.

That's what's embarrassing.

We're good, we showed that in many aspects of the game last night, but we're not good enough to get goaded into wasting energy on that type of stuff. The outcome of last nights game (and the reminders of how Philly was able to use that against us last year) is evidence enough for this Pens fan.

Embarrassing? Yeah, Hopeless? Not at all.

This is where the genius that is GMRS comes into play. If Bylsma can't get through to these guys, maybe MIM can (Morrow, Ignila, Murray).

Let's go boys.

I don't really agree that it was embarrassing. If the officiating was as bad as everyone claims, and the Bruins as dirty as everyone claims, then the Pens simply made a statement to the league at the end of the 2nd. Perhaps for Monday, the league reviews their officials and we have a different game then. I was fine with what the Pens did. It wasn't full melt-down crazy like the Philly series last year. The statement was made, hockey will resume Monday and the Pens will win.

Cooke incident is irrelevant. The only reason he was given 5 and and a game was because of the name on the back. Period. Marchant is just as dirty, but doesn't have the same reputation.

Malkin was mugged all night with barely a call. The Bruins can not contain the Pens forwards without the dirty work being involved. This series will change quickly.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:37 am

As far as I know the penguin players bleed red and are human. They have great hockey skills, but humans, none the less. Why people insist on calling this one or that one a head case is ridiculous and demeaning.
They need to score goals and keep their emotions in check... smile and skate away from Boston.
Speed kills; need the 1st goal and skate them around the rink.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mariojr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 am

penscup wrote:
mariojr wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
mariojr wrote:
I wouldn't agree that Vokoun played well. If he has a bad game on Monday and they lose, I'd consider Fleury.

Do you know how many odd man rushes the Penguins gave up tonight?

How about how many goals they scored? They could have had 2 goaltenders. They would have lost. You need to score to win the game. /John Madden

I didn't actually see the first two periods (had outdoor plans, no TV). After seeing the highlights, I am changing my opinion. He did play a solid game. Also, we hit three posts and had a puck squirt through the crease. I'm feeling better about our chances after seeing that.

Bandwagon Pens fan exhibit A right here folks --- "I didn't watch two thirds of the game but I feel its okay to come along and bash Vokoun for playing horrible tonight. But I did watch the highlights and I also stayed in Holiday Inn last night so I think I know what I'm talking about!"

OK, fine, so after 38 years of following the Pens, I'm a bandwagon fan. I've continued to watch the games when I could, listened when I could, or just followed their progress (or regress) in the newspapers (no Internet back then) all through the bad years of the 1980's and again in 2002-2006 when their season ended every year after the regulation number of games. But because I have a life outside of hockey, and therefore don't watch every second of every game, I'm a bandwagon fan. Whatever. You just can't win on this board.
Last edited by mariojr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

penny lane wrote:As far as I know the penguin players bleed red and are human.

Well, ever since Gary Roberts left the roster anyway. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Godric wrote:

Halak.

Der-hey.

Not because of Rask and not because he's some sort of world-beater. Comparing him to a goalie who had two of the best playoff series in NHL history because of one game is idiotic.

You're right. It is idiotic to compare Rask to Halak, because Rask is a much, much better goalie.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penscup on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm

mariojr wrote:
penscup wrote:
mariojr wrote:I didn't actually see the first two periods (had outdoor plans, no TV). After seeing the highlights, I am changing my opinion. He did play a solid game. Also, we hit three posts and had a puck squirt through the crease. I'm feeling better about our chances after seeing that.

Bandwagon Pens fan exhibit A right here folks --- "I didn't watch two thirds of the game but I feel its okay to come along and bash Vokoun for playing horrible tonight. But I did watch the highlights and I also stayed in Holiday Inn last night so I think I know what I'm talking about!"

OK, fine, so after 38 years of following the Pens, I'm a bandwagon fan. I've continued to watch the games when I could, listened when I could, or just followed their progress (or regress) in the newspapers (no Internet back then) all through the bad years of the 1980's and again in 2002-2006 when their season ended every year after the regulation number of games. But because I have a life outside of hockey, and therefore don't watch every second of every game, I'm a bandwagon fan. Whatever. You just can't win on this board.

Well then you should know better than to open yer yapper if you haven't watched most of the game.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm

slappybrown wrote:You're right. It is idiotic to compare Rask to Halak, because Rask is a much, much better goalie.

Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 pm

So comparing one game to two series performances = idiotic as you told EPP, but one individual goal allowed is legit to conclude one goalie is better or worse than the other?

Either metric is silly bc of sample size, but sure, why not, lets go with that one time he let in a hilarious goal for support that halak is the better goalie.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm

A lot of the new posters think they are pretty high and mighty these days.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm really hating Boston fans right now. On a non hockey forum I frequent I was arguing with one of these Ma-holes about the game and he had the gall to suggest that Sid is more of an instigator than Marchand.

**** these guys. The pens need to destroy Boston in game 2. I want that garbage fanbase humiliated and put in their place. I want them **** humiliated. This is our conference and you are privileged to be playing on the same ice as the Pens. Know your **** role.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:I'm really hating Boston fans right now. On a non hockey forum I frequent I was arguing with one of these Ma-holes about the game and he had the gall to suggest that Sid is more of an instigator than Marchand.

**** these guys. The pens need to destroy Boston in game 2. I want that garbage fanbase humiliated and put in their place. I want them **** humiliated. This is our conference and you are privileged to be playing on the same ice as the Pens. Know your **** role.

Yeah. Pens fans don't need humiliated and put in their place at all.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Sheesh. I'm still hiding and not getting into this.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Maybe this will make some of you a little happy.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins