'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 am

Pens lose 3-0

- Being the better team for 1/2 game is not enough, Bruins played a fantastic playoff road game, kudos to them
- For the panic stricken LGP'ers - No one predicted a sweep, so your prediction is on track. Take a depth breath, Pens will get the next one
- Pens showed "rust" in missing good chances and hitting 3-4 goalposts
- Can you really "blame" Vokoun when the Pens didn't score? I expect to see him next game.
- "If your not cheating, your not trying" - Bruins lived that mantra last night. Many "unsportsmanlike" situations make me dislike them much this morning
- Chara talking to a recovering McQuade had the effect of him bending over & appearing like he was not recovering. Glad to see him back, but it was a 2 minute penalty
- Pens PP << Bruins PK - This was a HUGE factor in this game. The PPlay will be better next game (yes, goalposts were aplenty but its goals that count)
- Adjustments in faceoffs required. Not winning Offensive Zone draws takes chances away from Pens
- Bruins definitely watched the Flyers series from last year. After whistle jabs, goading Malkin to fight, Sid screaming at Chara - it matters not, so don't waste the energy
- Bruins got Pens zone, puck always seemed to get to trailing guy (or cycling guy back high) in the middle high slot, like Philly last year
- My biggest fear (from other thread) was poor ref'ing & missed/bad suspensions. Felt like the script played out, but I'm not worried, NHL is not a garage league :twisted:
- To my 2nd point, I just read Kovacevic's article http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4105620-74/game-rask-didn#axzz2UvMJ53gG BANG ON DK
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 am

- Faceoffs sucked.
- The game may have been officiated by the "books", but it was not officiated fairly.
- The Bruins did get the Pens off of their game, especially Crosby. This may upset some LGPers, but it's the truth. Although, perhaps the Pens needed to "goon it up" a bit to let the Bruins know that they won't be bullied - who's to say?
- The pens absolutely must win game 2. Going to Boston with a confident Rask and 2-0 deficit is too much.
- Hockey gods must have magically enchanted the goal posts last night.
- I am a spoiled, entitled Pens fan. I'll admit it - I've gotten so used to MOAR GOALZ that being shut out at home really $*&(%$*(ed me off.
- The amount of hate pens fans get on other forums is at a pathological level. Everyone is jealous of Sid for sure.
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 am

Pens looked like they did almost everything right, the puck just wasn't going in...
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 am

The Bruins are the dirtiest team in hockey, and that showed last night. Just like with the Islanders, they carbon-copied the 2012 Flyers blueprint. They had every possible bounce and call go their way.

And Boston won't win another game this season. The 2012 Penguins this team is not, and Rask used up all of his good Juju in one game. He'll be chased by game 3 and broken by game 4.

This loss was just a blip, although this officiating does have me a little concerned. Crosby simply has to be better, especially on faceoffs. The Pens need to respond to this loss by crashing the Bruins net on every occasion. Keep being physical, and do everything possible (within the rules) to knock Chara out of this series. After the whistle, get in his face. If he goes to block a shot, shoot it right at him. Hit him low at every opportunity, as hard as possible. We'll see which player loses his temper and retaliates.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:15 am

Safe to say that Monday is a must win for sure. Boston is the real deal and looked like they were the better team for sure. Pens complaining looks bad on all levels. Man up and beat them, bottom line.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:15 am

Some people seriously suggested going back to MAF when the Bruins made it 3-0. Speechless.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 am

-cant win every game
-spoiled fans are spoiled
-we can play with a edge and hit but don't let them BS us into the crap after 2 periods.
-Geno and Sid news to keep emotions in check
-be glad Jagr didn't score

Im not worried...game 2 is a new beginning.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 am

Gaucho wrote:Some people seriously suggested going back to MAF when the Bruins made it 3-0. Speechless.

Honestly, are you really surprised? I expected some screaming for MAF after the first goal.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 am

Pens played great for the first 40 minutes or so. Rask was a stone wall, with some help from the posts. The 3rd period was a mess, but that was the Pens losing their cool and trying to play a more risky style to catch up. It's one game. It's a long series. I'm not too worried.

Pens play like they did the first two periods the rest of this series and they will win.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:21 am

Officiating was horrible and Cooke getting a major and then Marchand not for a worse hit wrecked the team and they let the dumbass refs get to them.

The NHL needs to rescind the game misconduct but knowing this joke of a league Cooke will probably get suspended 4 games or something.

Iginla needs to be on the point on the top unit.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:22 am

skullman80 wrote:Pens played great for the first 40 minutes or so. Rask was a stone wall, with some help from the posts. The 3rd period was a mess, but that was the Pens losing their cool and trying to play a more risky style to catch up. It's one game. It's a long series. I'm not too worried.

Pens play like they did the first two periods the rest of this series and they will win.

I loved Pierre slobbering all of the Bruins after the 3rd goal because the B's were playing "smart hockey" and the Pens were playing "risky hockey". You're down to with 12 minutes to go, should you be worried about clogging the neutral zone and dumping the puck in as soon as you reach center? ******.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 am

WBS Pens lost last night and are now eliminated. In my crazy world where the hockey gods exist, this had to happen for the Pens to advance. A good omen!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

McQaid turned around and saw him coming then went down. Ok maybe a 2 minute but him milking the call was awful. Cooke will be back next game.

Couldn't blame Vokoun for any of those goals so he should be back in net.

Overall I thought we played really well, Geno got to learn to hold his composure. We had a power play and him being in the box didn't help any.

Vets like Morrow and Iginla should keep team in check until Monday.
Last edited by no name on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

Penspal wrote:WBS Pens lost last night and are now eliminated. In my crazy world where the hockey gods exist, this had to happen for the Pens to advance. A good omen!

Ill take it
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 am

You have to get the first goal against Boston. If you do, there whole anti-hockey gameplan goes down the toilet. There's no worse team playing from behind (with one really notable exception, but it was against Toronto, so should it really count?) than the Broons. I remember some 3rd periods against the Pens this year when they were behind and they looked like they didn't even know how to rush the puck forward.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:28 am

scals37 wrote:Pens looked like they did almost everything right, the puck just wasn't going in...

Pretty much my feeling.

The odd thing is that I think if the Pens play that game again on Monday they'll win, but at the same time they've already lost playing that game.

Monday will say a lot.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:30 am

- My biggest problem last night was with the officiating. Its not why the Pens lost. The Pens lost as a result of incredibly bad luck combined with a hot goaltender and defensive lapses. The officiating last night was unbelievably inconsistent. Light interference was being called on the Pens (Orpik) while I bet Mario had flashbacks while Malkin went skiing with Bergeron and Jagr's stick. I don't understand how the more dangerous play (Marchand's hit on Neal) is a 2-minute minor, while Cooke's hit on McQuaid, which he turned and saw Cooke coming, was a 5 and a game.
- Vokoun couldn't do much about any of the goals last night. First was the worst, but it deflected poorly off of Martin.
- Faceoffs need to be better
- Rask has to be the luckiest goaltender in the NHL. Posts galore, lucky bounces drifting inches from the goal, no traffic in front. If he is that lucky the rest of the series, I won't know how to explain it.
- The difference last night was bounces. Every single freaking bounce went the Bruins way and the Pens simply couldn't catch a break.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the riddler on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 am

- Boston seemed to execute their plan of frustrating Crosby and Malkin. They can't skate with them (they took 3 penalties on Malkin) so they're going to try and agitate. I can imagine it's difficult to resist retaliating when you get punched in the head, but they both are going to have to not play into what Boston is doing.
- I don't think Boston dominated this game by any means. Pittsburgh outplayed them in the first two periods but the Cooke hit and the scrum at the end of the 2nd seemed to make them lose their focus. They just didn't come to play in the 3rd period.
- Vokoun was fine, the defensive coverage was poor on all 3 goals.
- Morrow looked a couple steps slow all night. He had a few chances but couldn't seem to get off a good shot.
- Kennedy missed the net all night. They are going to need that 3rd and 4th line to chip in this series if they are going to move on. Sutter is going to have to be a little bit better offensively.
- They were dominated on faceoffs. I think Jokinen was the only guy that had a good night but it's a major advantage for the Bruins.
- Boston played a really solid game, got some bounces and played patient. Rask was solid and got plenty of help from the posts.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeanPronovost on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

* Pens couldn't finish, especially Kunitz. I think back to the first minute of the game, when he had the puck all alone in the slot and fanned. He needs to convert his chances.
* Vokoun was not good, and his defensemen didn't help. I'm not someone who wants to see Fleury in Game 2, but I'd really worry if circumstances force him back for Game 3 on the road.
* I totally agree with the person who said the Pens weren't trying to get advantageous matchups. You can't avoid Chara, but at home you should get Crosby away from Bergeron. That's on Bylsma.
* I liked the hitting the Pens were doing, but I wonder if it had any effect.
* Have realized throughout the playoffs that I overestimated the Penguins' defensemen.
* The scrum after the second period reminded me of the Philly series. We didn't see that the first two rounds because things were going the Pens' way. Obviously they still have a tendency to implode.
* If they don't beat Boston it will be hard for me to see how this season is different from the previous three. They'll have beaten a couple of marginal playoff teams, that's all.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:35 am

Eismann wrote:
scals37 wrote:Pens looked like they did almost everything right, the puck just wasn't going in...

Pretty much my feeling.

The odd thing is that I think if the Pens play that game again on Monday they'll win, but at the same time they've already lost playing that game.

Monday will say a lot.

The Bruins dominated the faceoffs. So an adjustment of some sort needed here.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 am

Gotta say not their best foot forward. From the Captain down, have to stop with the nonsense and play discipline hockey.
Near-miss goals a plenty, but that is loser talk.
T Vokoun, first goal, kind of weak, but played well and kept the pens in till the end.
The PK was great.
Sid should be at the consol working on face-offs :) He probably stayed after. ;)
Draw on the leadership of the team and work on the composure aspect.

Jack Edwards' Matt Cooke, quote must been heard by the refs yesterday. Any team that employs Marchand hands in their "matt cooke abuse" card.

Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0 11h
Well I find that odd considering McQuaid saw Cooke coming & Neal didn't see Marchand @GagnonFrancois. Both r minors. pic.twitter.com/bDAMEsZCPv

Lift the puck on Rask!!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am

Too many penalties - Regardless of whether or not Cooke deserved 5 minutes - the hit was dumb on his part. I know things move fast out there, but you see the numbers, don't hit the guy. Sid's 2 minor penalties were completely unnecessary also.

The Bruins really are lucky that they weren't down 4-1 after two periods. Sometimes the luck doesn't go your way however, and there are better ways to handle that, then the way the pens seem to time after time. :(

I think we'll see much better results in game two.

Geno was a beast out there. Sure would have been nice if he wasn't sitting in the box for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the third.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 am

Also, did anyone else have flashbacks to the 96 series against the Panthers last night with all of the obstruction let go? Nowhere in the same ballpark, but same story. 96 Panthers couldn't keep up with the Pens, so they just clutch and grabbed their way to a win. Looked like a 2013 Redux last night.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:41 am

-Sid with his worst game in a long while. The team goes as he goes, and he was frustrated/distracted.
-Officiating was a joke...and definitely made a difference in the game. Not having Cooke (who's been one of our better players this entire playoffs) made a huge difference as the game went on.
-Bruins were amazing with their sticks last night. There were several times where it looked like we had something, then we didn't. Kudos to them.....
-...but you're a bunch of whiny diving cheaters :wink:
-It's funny to read that we can't blame Vokoun, but MAF would've been skewered in here for that first goal. 'IT WENT RIGHT BETWEEN HIS LEGS!!!!'. He continues to play 'solid', but he's not gonna steal a game...and we're not going to score 4 goals a game against this Bruins team. Vokoun's bloom is starting to wilt IMO.
-Bruins capitalized on the few chances they got. People comparing this to the Philthy series are lol...this game reminded me of the MON series much, much more.
-Bring it Monday.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am

1st Period: really good
2nd Period: pretty good
3rd Period: not so good

Niskanen and Eaton both got exposed last night and that's why they are 5th/6th/7th dmen on their best days. It is what it is.

The frustration level of not being able to beat Rask and also hitting posts got to be noticeable as the game wore on and Sid really doesn't need to be giving Rask a bump at the end of a period when the teams are skating off or jawing with Chara. The image all over the internet of Sid and The Giant facing each other isn't too pretty. Sid overall didn't play that well, either.

Malkin's fight was probably ill-advised but I don't really have a problem with it. Get that out of your system now in Game 1 and now go play your game. Overall, I thought Malkin played a very good game, fight or not. His backchecking was as good as I've ever seen it and he was going all-out creating chances and drawing a penalty(probably 3 on that one sequence).

Neal is playing physical but needs to watch McQuaid's writhing on the ice to better "sell" the next hit into the boards through the numbers he receives. Marchand hit him with a little less force than Cooke did on McQuaid, but if he stays down instead of immediately getting up and trying to get back into the play, that's probably 5mins. Hate to say that because it's really cheap to embellish and Neil was doing what a real player does in that situation, but it's the playoffs and the officiating can be erratic as hell, so........
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins