'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Some people seriously suggested going back to MAF when the Bruins made it 3-0. Speechless.

I thought the CBC guys made a valid point when they argued that Bylsma should've put Fleury in after going down 3-0 - it's been almost 4 weeks since he last played and getting him some game action in case they have to go with him wouldn't have hurt, even if the plan is still for Vokoun to start. It would've been the perfect spot to let him get some action, and the fact that Bylsma didn't pull the trigger is probably the biggest indicator that Fleury's playoffs are over.

I agree. I don't think the plan was ever to ride Vokoun to a cup, but he played so well it was impossible to change back. Down 3-0 would have been the ideal time to kick the tires on MAF. I'm not sure how many times there has ever been a gaoltender controversy in June.

I don't see how that would be a good idea. All you would have done is generated a controversy for no reason. Let's say he winds up making some highlight-reel saves. Some people are already suggesting we go back to MAF after game 1; had he come in and performed well, even for the last 10 minutes, and Byslma would have spent the next two days with an onslaught of MAF/TV questions. If you need him, him playing those ten minutes isn't going to make much of a difference IMO.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 am

I'd assume that Osgood playing in 08 counts if this counts. Virtually identical circumstances except one guy was an all-time great that was benched after a couple bad games and another is an above average NHL starter in their generation who got benched after a few bad series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

slappybrown wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Some people seriously suggested going back to MAF when the Bruins made it 3-0. Speechless.

I thought the CBC guys made a valid point when they argued that Bylsma should've put Fleury in after going down 3-0 - it's been almost 4 weeks since he last played and getting him some game action in case they have to go with him wouldn't have hurt, even if the plan is still for Vokoun to start. It would've been the perfect spot to let him get some action, and the fact that Bylsma didn't pull the trigger is probably the biggest indicator that Fleury's playoffs are over.

I agree. I don't think the plan was ever to ride Vokoun to a cup, but he played so well it was impossible to change back. Down 3-0 would have been the ideal time to kick the tires on MAF. I'm not sure how many times there has ever been a gaoltender controversy in June.

I don't see how that would be a good idea. All you would have done is generated a controversy for no reason. Let's say he winds up making some highlight-reel saves. Some people are already suggesting we go back to MAF after game 1; had he come in and performed well, even for the last 10 minutes, and Byslma would have spent the next two days with an onslaught of MAF/TV questions. If you need him, him playing those ten minutes isn't going to make much of a difference IMO.

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since Fleury last saw game action, that's a pretty significant amount of time and makes it even harder to go back to him if needed. I don't care how sharp he's been in practice, it's not the same as a game situation.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:48 am

If the Pens lose tonight, Fleury will be in for Game 3.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tunez33 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 am

pcm wrote:If the Pens lose tonight, Fleury will be in for Game 3.

if the pens loose tonight, i will cry..

that should be enough motivation for them!
tunez33
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

I agree. Whether Vokoun plays well or not, going down 0-2 in the series necessitates a change if for no other reason than to try to spark the team. I'd expect the same if the roles (Fleury/Vokoun) were reversed as you can't simply wait and see what happens in Game 3 at that point.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 am

I do love how Crosby gets all the hate for being a whiner. I guess nobody else complains about a call when they skate to the penalty box or when they get tripped/high sticked/etc. and it goes uncalled.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 am

Most likely, unless it's a 1-0 double OT loss in which Vokoun stops 49 out of 50 shots. Neither scenario will happen, though, because Vokoun knows he'll be out if he plays poorly, so I think he turns in a stellar performance and the Pens win tonight.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

The only reason to go back to Fleury would be TK breaking a leg.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:The only reason to go back to Fleury would be TK breaking a leg.

Kennedy plays in net?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm

knives of ice wrote:true. but if they lose tomorrow they are pretty much done. the chances of winning a series after losing your first two on home ice are very slim

Not as slim as you might think. In the majority of cases where the road team wins the first two games, the seeding hasn't reflected the playing strength and/or current form of the teams.

If we lose tonight I'd give us one chance in four. Right now it's about 50/50.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since Fleury last saw game action, that's a pretty significant amount of time and makes it even harder to go back to him if needed. I don't care how sharp he's been in practice, it's not the same as a game situation.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't think it is worth the distraction and really don't think less than half a period in a mop up role will have an impact the next time he plays, if ever.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm

SolidSnake wrote:

Kennedy plays in net?

Tomas, erm, Koon... :oops:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Gaucho wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Kennedy plays in net?

Tomas, erm, Koon... :oops:

But maybe Kennedy would be better then maf -runs-
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 pm

slappybrown wrote:I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't think it is worth the distraction and really don't think less than half a period in a mop up role will have an impact the next time he plays, if ever.

Nothing good can come of it, but if he lets in two goals because the team has accepted defeat on the night, where does that leave us if Vokoun starts to struggle?
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm

This series is going to be very similar I think to the Habs series from a few years back. Not sure if it will go to 7 given Boston has a lot more talent.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 pm

ScottishPenguin wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't think it is worth the distraction and really don't think less than half a period in a mop up role will have an impact the next time he plays, if ever.

Nothing good can come of it, but if he lets in two goals because the team has accepted defeat on the night, where does that leave us if Vokoun starts to struggle?

Another good point.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:43 pm

After the game 5 win vs Ottawa, James Neal was asked about Vokoun's play. He said that with Vokoun, "you know what you're going to get every night". That says it all.

You can't go back to a goalie who has been statistically the worst playoff goalie in the league over the course of the past 4 seasons unless Vokoun's struggles are nearly as bad as Fleury's have been.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm

1. What if the Pens lose tongiht? You'd be better off worrying about the Sun running out of fuel, ain't gonna happen.
2. I love 29 but it seems a lot of posters believe we have some sort of limbo going on with co-starting gaoltenders. 29 is the backup at this point, his need for playing time in mop up roles is no different than any other back-up at this point. He hasn't seen game action in four weeks? So what, he hasn't won a playoff series in 150 weeks. He is not a Saint of Circumstance, he has earned his backup role.
3. I believe / hope 29 will have a strong balance of his career here. Right now, it is 92s job to lose.

The Bruins are up one, but the bear has been poked. Pens in 5.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:48 pm

GaryRissling wrote:After the game 5 win vs Ottawa, James Neal was asked about Vokoun's play. He said that with Vokoun, "you know what you're going to get every night". That says it all.

You can't go back to a goalie who has been statistically the worst playoff goalie in the league over the course of the past 4 seasons unless Vokoun's struggles are nearly as bad as Fleury's have been.

Are you a journalist? Because that is incredible inference you are pulling there. There is looking into a quote, and then there is straight up what you did.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Why are you guys talking about goalies. We couldn't score at all.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Why are you guys talking about goalies. We couldn't score at all.

Vokoun scores 0.007 points per game more than Fleury...
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm

ScottishPenguin wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Why are you guys talking about goalies. We couldn't score at all.

Vokoun scores 0.007 points per game more than Fleury...

lol well played.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm

haha pretty funny
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Rylan wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:After the game 5 win vs Ottawa, James Neal was asked about Vokoun's play. He said that with Vokoun, "you know what you're going to get every night". That says it all.

Are you a journalist? Because that is incredible inference you are pulling there. There is looking into a quote, and then there is straight up what you did.

I think the quote stands on its own quite well. That one goalie has given us a chance to win in every game in which he has started backs it up.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins