Will we see any lineup changes for Monday night?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will we see any lineup changes for Monday night?

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Scratch JJ, the only one on the team who can beat the Bs in the dot? If anything scratch Adams for Vitale.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Scratch JJ, the only one on the team who can beat the Bs in the dot? If anything scratch Adams for Vitale.

Adams will NEVER be scratched
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Old Time Hockey on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm

I am loving the debate over scratching Vitale, Adams, and JJ when TK couldnt even make it in the lineup earlier. Love TK and will be a big part of the series. Bank on it.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Bioshock wrote:
mariojr wrote:We should definitely see these changes.

First, gotta put Fleury back in. He's the No. 1 Goalie. He's been out too long. The Vokoun experiment should never have lasted longer than the end of the first series. No matter how well Vokoun played, he's only the backup.

Second, gotta pull Malkin, because, as we all know, he's a turnover machine. Plus, he had no points last night and only 1 in his last four games. What, he had lots of chances last night? And he was leading the playoffs in scoring before that stretch? Chances don't count, and it's a "what have you done for me lately?" game.

Third, I would definitely replace Crosby. It's clear the Bruins are under his skin, just like the Flyers were last year. But he's the best player in the world, you say? All the more reason. If the best player in the world gets rattled, the whole team is off of their game.

We have Joe Vitale waiting on the bench, and now that WBS is out of their playoffs, I'm sure there's a guy there who can be called up. That gives you ample replacement for those two locker-room cancers, Crosby and Malkin.

Spoiler:
:pop:

Jesus, you like encompassed every stupid call on the fan and The X Morning Show.

Bravo good sir. Now, i'm gonna go take an aspirin and dread the radio come Monday...

Was about to say this. So reactionary it's stupid.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I thought TK was fine in Game 1. If anything, I'd consider moving Jokinen up to the 3rd line and scratching Sutter. Sutter's been a waste of space the majority of the postseason.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:I thought TK was fine in Game 1. If anything, I'd consider moving Jokinen up to the 3rd line and scratching Sutter. Sutter's been a waste of space the majority of the postseason.

No he really hasn't.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:I thought TK was fine in Game 1. If anything, I'd consider moving Jokinen up to the 3rd line and scratching Sutter. Sutter's been a waste of space the majority of the postseason.

No he really hasn't.

Sutter isn't good enough defensively to justify his total lack of anything resembling offensive skill.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

No he really hasn't.

Sutter isn't good enough defensively to justify his total lack of anything resembling offensive skill.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Let game was the first game he's been under 40% in the face off circle. He does exactly what he needs to do. He's not Jordan Staal.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:45 pm

"Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone bench-Sutter sh*t again."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Penguins fans certainly became soiled in that aspect. Not to mention, it's still Sutter's first run at the cup.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Sutter still sucks outside of his own end but still rules inside of his own end. Nothing's changed - he stays put.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:Sutter still sucks outside of his own end but still rules inside of his own end. Nothing's changed - he stays put.

Don't disagree, he certainly plays fine positionally. And has been playing a passive trap type game which is costing him any chance at a forward push. But I think (and last night was an example) that at some point our 3rd and 4th lines are going to have to carry the play a bit.

I'm curious to see how we fared 5x5 in last nights game. Total chances and shots vs Bruins. All these posts and chances seemed to be in the PP.

Toronto had a game plan to dump and punish and the Bruins. We are sticking to a perimeter game that the Bruins swallowed up with a box defense and closed passing lanes. At least even strength. And for all of the mentioning every time we hit a post we certainly could have given up a lot more goals with all the odd man breaks.

While I agree we carried the play it wasn't like we swarmed and swarmed and had chance after chance and kept coming in waves. Point being if the Bruins adjust a bit we are going to need these guys like Sutter to start pushing forward, cycling and carrying some play. Either this series or next if we make it, we need a game or two where they win it with real 3rd line type play.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I'd argue our 3rd line was our best line last night.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Lineup is fine, just need to change the focus to hockey and scoring goals instead of the chippy nonsense. Just smile and skate away. Scoring goals is the best way to answer Boston's crap.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 pm

offsides wrote:Lineup is fine, just need to change the focus to hockey and scoring goals instead of the chippy nonsense. Just smile and skate away. Scoring goals is the best way to answer Boston's crap.

Oh the benefits of maturity and experience. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:Lineup is fine, just need to change the focus to hockey and scoring goals instead of the chippy nonsense. Just smile and skate away. Scoring goals is the best way to answer Boston's crap.

I don't know we certainly cause our own problems too. I dont think Boston was playing any more chippy/cheap and mouthy than any other game i have watched in the playoffs. Their crap had nothing to do with Sid feeling the need to confront the goalie, whether he was chirping or not. Not sure why but he opens up the door for people to continue to screw with him plus loses benefits from the refs.

My only line up change would be Vitsle for strictly face offs. My Lord your top 3 centers getting throttled that bad can't happen again.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 am

Hmm. This is an :idea:. Although Sutter did do in the Broons in one game this season. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Did we not have maturity and experience against Filthy last year? Sure we did. Just didn't show it. And it didn't show up in game 1 Saturday. Its gotta be there going forward. If not we won't be going too far forward.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 am

The only change I would make after that game would be to sit Eaton. The problem is that I don't know who I would put in instead. I just felt he looked very minor league out there.

Personally I think JJ is not up to par with the rest of the team and I think Vitale is a better option but not a much better one. JJ's play was Tangradi worthless in game 1. Standing around, not hitting, not passing well, just bad.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:44 am

Jokinen moved like a glacier out there on Saturday. Not sure that I sit him, but it's the obvious choice if Vitale is back in.

Crosby needs to play better. Malkin can't be in the box for 5 minutes. They really missed Cooke after he was tossed. Those are the changes I'd "make."
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 am

pfim wrote: Malkin can't be in the box for 5 minutes.

it ended up being about 6 and a half minutes. but it was sooooo worth it to eliminate the 45 seconds of PK time bergeron would have played.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 am

I'm predicting Cooke with a big game tonight to make up for his ejection in game 1.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nhl94 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am

Maybe try giving crosby neal or iggy and move their replacement down to Malkin line. No changes to goalie. Koun still played consistently, there were two 'retardedly' lucky bounces. We need to crash the net and get those rebounds. I believe Rask got very lucky as we missed few open netters and had like 4 pipe hits. Also, we can't afford giving out those breakaways like we did again. Plus, we def need cooke for his good side, especially around their net area.
nhl94

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 am

Is, "reduce the size of the posts and crossbar by half" an option?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

No he really hasn't.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Let game was the first game he's been under 40% in the face off circle. He does exactly what he needs to do. He's not Jordan Staal.

I know it's a cliche as old as time, but when you get this deep into the playoffs, the top two lines have a tendency of canceling each other out in terms of offensive output. You need your 3rd and 4th lines to chip in every once in a while. We saw the huge goals that Jordan Staal put up in 09' at the most important times. Sutter handles the puck like a live grenade and I honestly don't think his faceoff numbers are going to get any better against the Bruins. They're a different animal in the faceoff circle.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins