Did the Bruins win because "they got to their game"?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Did the Bruins win because "they got to their game"?

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 am

Honestly, if that is the game Boston wants to play I like our chances. It felt like they were reacting to us not initiating. I felt their forecheck did not dominate although it did result in Eaton's cough up on the goal. I think their game would look alot more like a dominant forecheck and cycling game. I didn't see that did you?

Did they perhaps change their game....?

What I saw was a team in Boston that did a great job skating between the passing lanes. They forced a north south game and we all know that we'll play east west all day long even if it isn't working. It was effective. It was good coaching.

Still that being said:

If you are a Boston fan would you really feel comfortable with the amount of scoring chancing you traded with the most offensive prolific team in the league?

I would be extremely happy with that win if I was a Boston fan. Boston fans are and they aren't shy to tell you about (best fans in the world after a big win). Still I'd be focusing giving us so many prime scoring chances.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Did the Bruins win because "they got to their game"?

Postby Penspal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:15 am

I'd be nervous if I was a Boston fan, but a Win is a win, especially an away win in game 1.

You only need remember round one vs. Isles. Pens came out with 2 victories where they were perhaps not the better team. It happens &game 2 becomes a bigger game for the Pens.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

I'd be confident. They scored 3 goals, and really didn't do much offensively. That being said - it's much easier playing that style with a lead than it is from behind.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Penspal wrote:I'd be nervous if I was a Boston fan, but a Win is a win, especially an away win in game 1.

I think if you were a Boston fan, you'd be happy to have gotten away with a win and confident that your team can play much better.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Gaucho wrote: confident that your team can play much better.

Not so sure of that.

I'd definitely be glad BOS got the W, but what I saw - and I tend to get frustrated with losses like that - was PGH dominating play, even though they weren't burying pucks.

If I were a BOS fan, I'd be hoping they could play much better... because they're going to need to.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't want to take anything from the B's win and look like a sore loser but I'd say Pittsburgh wins that game 7 of 10 times.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 pm

ron_duguays_hair wrote:I don't want to take anything from the B's win and look like a sore loser but I'd say Pittsburgh wins that game 7 of 10 times.

The B's were the beneficiary of everything (tangible and intangible) in that game, and they took advantage of it.

The B's did get to their game in the third mainly because they had the lead and the Pens frustrated. If we get a bounce here or there (or they don't) that's a completely different game.

We'll see what happens Monday.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Penspal wrote:I'd be nervous if I was a Boston fan

They won on the road while shutting out one of the most prolific offensive teams in playoff history; I wouldn't be too concerned if I was a B's fan. :lol:
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thebear on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:32 pm

No idea what this guy was drinking while watching.

1st period - the pens where buzzing , the boston hunkered down and did not let the buzzing pens to shoot from the middle. chara and core did everything to give ONLY shots from the side to side to help tuke.

2nd period - the pens where sleep walking except when the power play was going, it looked like that the frenzy in the 1st and no goal made them doozing. The end was key, If anything the capitals have proved that to defeat boston you just skate and put them to sleep and not wake them up with physical play. some one forgot to send the memo. At the end of period 2 the physical altercation was dumb. You do not wake the boston physical play.

3rd period - Malkin was the best player on the ice for both the team, 5 minutes on the side line for him was a killer.

Lucic - he was bigger the pen`s defensive guys and his for check was showing its effect, as the game went on it was painfull to see players not taking the body to pass the punk with lucic and horton forechecking.especially the 1 handed back push and tryng to pass the puck with 1 hand.

this is what i saw
thebear

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Penspal wrote:I'd be nervous if I was a Boston fan, but a Win is a win, especially an away win in game

Not surprisingly, all the Bruins fans I know are happier than pigs in crap today and talking more crap than before the game.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Two things happened:
1) The Bruins DID get to their game. They supported each other, stuffed up the neutral zone, got good goaltending, good special teams and capitalized off Penguin mistakes.

2) The Penguins got away from their game. The game was still within reach when the third period started, but the Penguins lost their composure at the end of the second period, lost their focus and let their emotions get the better of them therefore letting the Penguins get away from their game.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

If I was a Boston fan (I just threw up in my mouth), I would be ecstatic. Pens have a lot of pressure on them to win game two. Going to Boston down two zip would be very, very bad. Pens have to respond with a solid focused effort. Forget the meaningless nonsense and play hockey.

I'm thinking they respond with a dominating performance and rather easy win.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:11 pm

eaton made a mistake on that goal, but letang couldn't have played it any worse. all he had to do was bat the puck out of the air with his hand but instead this genius tries to knock it out with his stick using it like a baseball bat. what a moronic defensive play. not sure i've ever seen a player with so much skill play dumber at times than letang.

the bruins should be better in game 2 as well which is what worries me. if they get bounces again it puts the pens pretty much in an insurmountable hole. if you go down 2-0 playing the first two at home turn out the lights.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

they won because the pens missed by an inch about 10 times.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 am

Got one win on the road. They're in the drivers seat. Boston fans have every reason to be very happy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:59 pm

yes
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins