Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby headh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

Getting To My Game wrote:How many Stanley Cups do Morrow and Iggy have?



How many cups has Sid won since Billy G left town?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

How many cups have the Pens won ever since Jeff Taffe left?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,101
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

headh wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:How many Stanley Cups do Morrow and Iggy have?



How many cups has Sid won since Billy G left town?


Yes, that's definitely the reason. I mean, we saw how great the Pens did in the 2nd year that the Pens had Billy G in 2010.

Crosby's the captain, he shouldn't be deferring to anyone.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby thebear on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 am

What the heck is this thread about

Iginla and Morrow with expiring contract who joined the team recently need to take over the captainship....with the cap they are sure not to comeback next year.!!!
Last edited by thebear on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebear
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 am

Gaucho wrote:How many cups have the Pens won ever since Jeff Taffe left?


Or Mathieu Garon? His leadership as back-up goalie was the real reason for the Pens Cup in 09.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 am

Pitts wrote:Seriously, it was 2 minutes at the end of the 2nd period. Fan overreaction much? I have no problem with what went on.


Me neither. Officiating aside, The big issue I had was with the scoreboard.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,279
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: PDAS: In good hands since 2008. WIN IT FOR DUPER!

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

I'd like to know what the OP means by "defer". Should Crosby and Malkin come into the locker room and say, "Hey guys, we're frustrated and are going to suck for the rest of this series. We're not going to say anything anymore, because you know, frustrated and all, so um, listen to the two old guys, and we'll be playing Angry Birds over here. See you at the next game, it's Tuesday, right?"
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby no name on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

Geno and Sid should of never fo got caught up in that stuff. We were heading into the 3rd period with a powerplay and still could fo gottn bac in the game. But we practice th power play all week long with Geno out there and we needed him. He would fo done more on the ice than in the box. And after his 5 were up he had to sit in the box for 3 more minutes cause there wasn't a whistle to let him out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

Image
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,101
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby headh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
headh wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:How many Stanley Cups do Morrow and Iggy have?



How many cups has Sid won since Billy G left town?


Yes, that's definitely the reason. I mean, we saw how great the Pens did in the 2nd year that the Pens had Billy G in 2010.

Crosby's the captain, he shouldn't be deferring to anyone.




He needs to lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. He's a poster child for losing his composure right now. He needs to lead by example and concentrate on what he does well. He isn't going to police the game..... because the refs allow things to "escalate". That isn't his role in life. He needs to shut his mouth and play.

Via Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette, Crosby’s comments on the officiating:
"They're letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate. You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope.
"That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that."
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

no name wrote:Geno and Sid should of never fo got caught up in that stuff.


they're both really bratty about losing, and always have been. if we decisively outplay boston again, but still come out on the wrong end of the scoreboard, they're going to go bananas. that's what they do.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

headh wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
headh wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:How many Stanley Cups do Morrow and Iggy have?



How many cups has Sid won since Billy G left town?


Yes, that's definitely the reason. I mean, we saw how great the Pens did in the 2nd year that the Pens had Billy G in 2010.

Crosby's the captain, he shouldn't be deferring to anyone.




He needs to lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. He's a poster child for losing his composure right now. He needs to lead by example and concentrate on what he does well. He isn't going to police the game..... because the refs allow things to "escalate". That isn't his role in life. He needs to shut his mouth and play.

Via Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette, Crosby’s comments on the officiating:
"They're letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate. You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope.
"That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that."


Mario Lemieux ******** about officiating much more than either of them and I don't think anyone said that Lemieux should defer to Gordie Roberts.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

Gaucho wrote:How many cups have the Pens won ever since Jeff Taffe left?


exactly~ :D

Gaucho , I am taking a brown bag tonight ! ;) Dear Pens, don't make me use it. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,827
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby headh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

Getting To My Game wrote:I'd like to know what the OP means by "defer". Should Crosby and Malkin come into the locker room and say, "Hey guys, we're frustrated and are going to suck for the rest of this series. We're not going to say anything anymore, because you know, frustrated and all, so um, listen to the two old guys, and we'll be playing Angry Birds over here. See you at the next game, it's Tuesday, right?"



I want him to stop blaming the refs for his inability to keep his cool and concentrate. I want him to lead by example and play well and say something other than.....

Via Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette, Crosby’s comments on the officiating:
"They're letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate. You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope.
"That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that."
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby PghSkins on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

I think we all know who the missing "Piece" is.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,820
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 am

headh wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:I'd like to know what the OP means by "defer". Should Crosby and Malkin come into the locker room and say, "Hey guys, we're frustrated and are going to suck for the rest of this series. We're not going to say anything anymore, because you know, frustrated and all, so um, listen to the two old guys, and we'll be playing Angry Birds over here. See you at the next game, it's Tuesday, right?"



I want him to stop blaming the refs for his inability to keep his cool and concentrate. I want him to lead by example and play well and say something other than.....

Via Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette, Crosby’s comments on the officiating:
"They're letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate. You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope.
"That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that."

He lost his cool for a whopping two minutes. As others have said, had they won the game, Malkin and Crosby would be called geniuses for rallying the troops. Crosby's quote via Shelly is a fact: when the refs let things go, physicality escalates from both sides. It's easy for us to say "don't retaliate," but it's a much different story on the ice. Crosby does have the tendency to complain to the refs often, but I see nothing wrong with your quote.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,864
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

My friends played Xbox with Sabourin during the Cup run in '09 in his apartment before a SCF game in Detroit, no lie.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,379
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

I've got no problem with what Malkin did. Sid on the other hand, lead this team into the toilet Saturday night. They lost focus and let the game get away from them in the 3rd. If they had upped their intensity, that game was undeniably winnable.

Sid's got a bad habit of coming out blazing in the first 5-10 minutes, and then totally disappearing, or worse, dragging the team down like he did in game 1. I don't remember that happening before the concussion, but its definitely a trend since he came back. If he's not going to be Superstar Sid for 60 minutes, he at least needs to be the Yzerman-type leader who quietly goes out there and does the little things to support his team all the way through.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:My friends played Xbox with Sabourin during the Cup run in '09 in his apartment before a SCF game in Detroit, no lie.


I set up and played this year's playoffs in NHL13. Went 16-2 with the Pens. Fleury won the Conn Smythe with a 0.85 GAA and .969 sv%.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,539
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:26 am

Defence21 wrote:As others have said, had they won the game, Malkin and Crosby would be called geniuses for rallying the troops.


i generally agree with what you said, but regarding this...losing and throwing temper tantrums are synonymous for this team. it hasn't been a rally cry as much as it's been a concession over the last couple years. it's never a good sign when this team loses its cool.

but i don't think what happened the other night was too bad compared to what we've seen before. at least we didn't start cheap shotting.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 am

shmenguin wrote:
Defence21 wrote:As others have said, had they won the game, Malkin and Crosby would be called geniuses for rallying the troops.


i generally agree with what you said, but regarding this...losing and throwing temper tantrums are synonymous for this team. it hasn't been a rally cry as much as it's been a concession over the last couple years. it's never a good sign when this team loses its cool.

but i don't think what happened the other night was too bad compared to what we've seen before. at least we didn't start cheap shotting.

I'm not sure it was bad at all. I saw it as things gradually escalating and boiling over. It's not like they came out in the third and continued to initiate between the whistles. And, as you said, they never resorted to cheap shots and multiple fights.

If any other team does what the Pens did Saturday at the end of the second, no one thinks twice about it. I truly don't see this as an example in the long line of tantrums thrown by these two over the years. In fact, I've seen a much more composed duo/team this year than in years past.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,864
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 am

I remember the last time Geno fought like he did on Saturday night in the playoffs the Pens won the cup. :pop:
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,501
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

Defence21 wrote:As others have said, had they won the game, Malkin and Crosby would be called geniuses for rallying the troops.


Win or lose, those events did not rally the troops or swing the momentum in the Pens' favor. The situation did not call for that: losing 1-0 while on the power play at the end of the 2nd. There were no apparent tactics involved; Sid, Geno and the Pens lost their composure.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 am

Defence21 wrote:I truly don't see this as an example in the long line of tantrums thrown by these two over the years. In fact, I've seen a much more composed duo/team this year than in years past.


yeah, it's borderline tantrum at best. it wasn't like the flyers series where they were basically a bunch of dumb jocks resorting to violence to deal with their own shortcomings. it was just frustration that they weren't winning the game, despite owning the bruins all night. there are some unsavory implications about their sense of entitlement, but again - it wasn't a big deal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Sid and Geno should defer to Iginla and Morrow

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 am

Defence21 wrote:As others have said, had they won the game, Malkin and Crosby would be called geniuses for rallying the troops.


Which is pretty absurd, at least in Malkin's case.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, pens_CT and 15 guests


e-mail