Matt Cooke should be kicked out of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Matt Cooke should be kicked out of the NHL

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm

What a hack. I felt from the outset it was worth a two, and could possibly be a double minor. No way did it deserve 5 minutes, game misconduct, or suspension. Funny thing is, even Claude Julien agrees it didn't deserve suspension, and reinforces what I said.....player getting hit needs to take some responsibility too. McQuaid looked at Cooke and saw him coming.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/03/claude-julien-refuses-to-fuel-fire-after-matt-cookes-game-misconduct/
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Matt Cooke once killed a guy for snoring too loud
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm

“It’s behind me,” he said, although he did gently take issue with the idea that he put himself in jeopardy.

“I don’t think anyone wants to put themselves in a position like that,” McQuaid said. “I was a little bit shocked — I wasn’t expecting the play.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/sport ... .html?_r=0

Seriously... what did you think was going to happen? Matt would just try and poke check the puck ala Dan Quinn?

Get real.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby meow on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
“It’s behind me,” he said, although he did gently take issue with the idea that he put himself in jeopardy.

“I don’t think anyone wants to put themselves in a position like that,” McQuaid said. “I was a little bit shocked — I wasn’t expecting the play.”

Seriously... what did you think was going to happen? Matt would just try and poke check the puck ala Dan Quinn?

Get real.

Why players continue to trust that other players aren't going to hit them from behind still eludes me. McQuaid just watched Cooke dump it into the corner and he doesn't expect to get hit? Ok...
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm

I'd argue McQuaid did expect to get hit, and that's why he turned his back on Cooke. He looked Cooke right in the eyes.

Funny though: If McQuaid hadn't held Cooke with his free hand to interfere and gain position on Cooke, he wouldn't have gotten plastered.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 pm

meow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Get real.

Why players continue to trust that other players aren't going to hit them from behind still eludes me. McQuaid just watched Cooke dump it into the corner and he doesn't expect to get hit? Ok...

It's why the NHL needs to crack down on players turning their backs on hits. I really, truly, honestly believe 90+% of the boarding calls this year were fabricated by the player being hit. I don't blame them because they get the call usually, but the League also needs to adapt to this trend. I think it was Malkin in the last series bought a boarding that was extremely convincing, but upon further review he only got bumped after spinning his back to the play.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 pm

I like when defenders allow the forward to go get the puck and then punish the forward. Its pleases me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I totally agree. Bring back the hit and pin and all this goes away.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PAPLine on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

I believe the league is going to enforce a new penalty next year, a 2 minute minor penalty for being Matt Cooke.
If Cooke got 5 and a game for his hit on McQuaid, then the Marchand hit on Neal was worth the same. The difference between the two hits, Cooke made one, and didn't make the other.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I'd argue McQuaid did expect to get hit, and that's why he turned his back on Cooke. He looked Cooke right in the eyes.

Funny though: If McQuaid hadn't held Cooke with his free hand to interfere and gain position on Cooke, he wouldn't have gotten plastered.

Yes, it's quite clear McQuaid was using the rule to his advantage.

Cooke still can't hit him like that, but those are really two different discussions.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

wondermoose wrote:It's why the NHL needs to crack down on players turning their backs on hits.

not in this case. some guys turn at the last second to try and draw a call (*cough*ERICCOLE*cough*). mcquaid didn't do this. cooke had plenty of time to let up, and didn't. dumb play by both players, but cooke was responsible for what happened.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:
wondermoose wrote:It's why the NHL needs to crack down on players turning their backs on hits.

not in this case. some guys turn at the last second to try and draw a call (*cough*ERICCOLE*cough*). mcquaid didn't do this. cooke had plenty of time to let up, and didn't. dumb play by both players, but cooke was responsible for what happened.

Clearly a minor but barely. There was nothing brutal about the hit until McQuaid took a pathetic dive after he realized who hit him. Hits like those happen almost every game and most go unpenalized.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm

It was easily a 2 minute boarding penalty. But it was not in this world or the next worthy of a checking from behind major and game misconduct. It was a bad call, the NHL did not further punish Cooke. Let's get ready for game 2 and Grind these ******** down.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm

pfim wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I'd argue McQuaid did expect to get hit, and that's why he turned his back on Cooke. He looked Cooke right in the eyes.

Yes, it's quite clear McQuaid was using the rule to his advantage.

Cooke still can't hit him like that, but those are really two different discussions.

Well, like I added, had McQuaid not interfered with/held Cooke prior to the hit, it would've been shoulder to shoulder (or possibly never happens) and we wouldn't be having the discussion.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm

shmenguin wrote:

I'm not suggesting Cooke wasn't responsible - he needs to stop when he sees numbers. The problem I have is he did just that and still gave him a good bump. If Cooke doesn't let up, McQuaid is taken out of a stretcher. Boarding penalties happen; my contention is they don't have to if both players meet in the middle and respect each other enough not to create the situation in the first place. And I really do think Shanahan and the Safety Dept. has done an excellent job explaining what is and isn't acceptable anymore, and boarding in the past used to be far more brutal.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Well, like I added, had McQuaid not interfered with/held Cooke prior to the hit, it would've been shoulder to shoulder (or possibly never happens) and we wouldn't be having the discussion.

I think it was the other defenseman (Krug?) who ran a little bit of interference on Cooke, it wasn't much though. Unless I'm misremembering the play. But Cooke saw his numbers and had more than enough time to let up.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:07 pm

pfim wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I think it was the other defenseman (Krug?) who ran a little bit of interference on Cooke, it wasn't much though. Unless I'm misremembering the play. But Cooke saw his numbers and had more than enough time to let up.

It was Krug who ran interference. Cooke could have easily let up and just pinned him to the boards like he was attempting to do with Karlsson when that unfortunate event happened. It was a penalty for sure, but not ejection worthy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 pm

The "he was interfered with and that caused the bad hit" rationale is a pretty thin one, for just taking a stupid penalty.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I have to be honest here. I have not been the biggest Cooke supporter in his tenure with the Pens. I'm a fan of what he does on the ice when not playing dangerous hockey, but I wanted him gone after that hit two seasons ago against the Rangers. He totally surprised me how he turned his game around and I was glad being wrong. He not only turned his game around, but put up the 2nd best career numbers. The big difference was he played with less venom and focused more on his skill. You could argue that affected the Penguins not having as physical edge.

This season seemed not so much to be a lapse, but he seemed to find a way to mix that venom back in without playing too much on the edge. I really don't like making excuses for him or players like him, but he's gotten a bad wrap this year. That hit on Karlsson was unfortunate and I believe in no way did he deliberately try to use his skate on him.

Hockey is a fast dangerous sport and as careful as any player tries to be, if they play a physical game they will eventually be in a position where they make questionable hits. When you're skating as fast as they do and you're only a few feet away, you can't always anticipate changes in direction. While his boarding hit is one that is dangerous, you'll never see it gone completely from the game. It's the risk they take playing that kind of sport.

I don't believe Cooke tried to make that hit or that he was completely irresponsible. I believe he was attempting to make a hard hit and it just happened the way it did. We see hits like that all the time. Marchand's hit was arguable worse. There was far more time to anticipate and be careful, yet I don't think he intended to do that. Was Marchand irresponsible? Yes, but not that bad. It just happened the way it did. Those type of hits are just something that happens at that speed.

When elbows come up and heads are targets on players who were not leaning down, then I think there's zero excuse. Cooke should stay barring any issues like that.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I think it deserved a penalty, but if it was between "more than 2 minutes" and "nothing called", I'd be leaning more towards "nothing called".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm

llipgh2 wrote:The majority of sports media in every city are homers who have the resources to share their biased views with the whole world. I frankly have little to no interest in what they say.

And that goes for Pittsburgh sports media as well. Only a few folks I read with any regularity and put stock in what they say. For hockey, Dave Molinari. Emptynetters and Shelly Anderson fall into that category (EN for writing, SA for info), but Molinari is the top.

The rest stink.

Molinari was on the beat for the Press in the 80s, and wrote the story on the Lemieux home debut ("scary injury"). Anderson was same for the P-G in the 80s.

Other names on the periphery have been around a long time too. Bill Heufelder covered the team the first several seasons for the Press, with Jimmy Jordan over at the P-G, with Smizik appearing in Feb 1971. A Jeff Samuels appears in 73-74; I've come across Starkey on occasion too.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:23 pm

We really shouldn't even be talking about the hit. It wasn't anything brutal or worth 5 min.. It's the Boston fanbase trying to turn Pens into Satan and I'm going to ignore it from now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Savard savard savard savard!!!!!

As I recall, the Savard hit was a clean hit even by today's rules. It was a solid shoulder to shoulder hit. Savard was looking the other way, but that shouldn't figure into it. The world went ballistic because it was Cooke and because Savard was essentially done as a player.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Even if it was called a minor, it's a play the team would take back if they could. Very bad decision by Cooke.

He picked perhaps one of the most viewed games of the playoffs up until now to do it in too. There's no way to convince casual fans he's not evil at this point.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm

relantel wrote:Molinari was on the beat for the Press in the 80s, and wrote the story on the Lemieux home debut ("scary injury"). Anderson was same for the P-G in the 80s.

Other names on the periphery have been around a long time too. Bill Heufelder covered the team the first several seasons for the Press, with Jimmy Jordan over at the P-G, with Smizik appearing in Feb 1971. A Jeff Samuels appears in 73-74; I've come across Starkey on occasion too.

I like Starkey, but since I don't consider him solely hockey I didn't include him.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins