Matt Cooke should be kicked out of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Matt Cooke should be kicked out of the NHL

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

PAPLine wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Savard savard savard savard!!!!!

As I recall, the Savard hit was a clean hit even by today's rules. It was a solid shoulder to shoulder hit.

Nope.

Nope nope nope
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 pm

The Savard hit was pretty much the sole reason Rule 48 was put into place.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Savard hit legal then, not now.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

As unfortunate as it may be, the Pens need to cut ties with Cooke at seasons end. When a guy is continually the target of officials it becomes near comical. He will never shake the reputation and that becomes a huge distraction.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:
PAPLine wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Savard savard savard savard!!!!!

As I recall, the Savard hit was a clean hit even by today's rules. It was a solid shoulder to shoulder hit.

Nope.

Nope nope nope

You'r response is the most insightful thing I have ever read and that includes "neckmeat." :pop:
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 pm

pugilist13 wrote:As unfortunate as it may be, the Pens need to cut ties with Cooke at seasons end. When a guy is continually the target of officials it becomes near comical. He will never shake the reputation and that becomes a huge distraction.

I disagree. He's an important player. One controversial hit all year that I can remember and it shouldn't even be treated as that but it was because that Boston a-hole decided to pretend to be hurt. This should be a non-story. If Shanahan isn't doing anything, and rather publically praises Cooke instead, that's all I need to know.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Matt Cooke for president of the world. I'm sick of defending penguins players. I'm gonna start reveling in other teams views of the penguins as villains. Huzzah.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
pugilist13 wrote:As unfortunate as it may be, the Pens need to cut ties with Cooke at seasons end. When a guy is continually the target of officials it becomes near comical. He will never shake the reputation and that becomes a huge distraction.

I disagree. He's an important player. One controversial hit all year that I can remember and it shouldn't even be treated as that but it was because that Boston a-hole decided to pretend to be hurt. This should be a non-story. If Shanahan isn't doing anything, and rather publically praises Cooke instead, that's all I need to know.

I certainly see your point, but when 24 hits the ice he has four eyes in stripes glued to him. Look no further than the phantom slash on Karlsson in the Sens series.Now the McQuaid thing...Thats a boarding minor if your name isn't Matt Cooke.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 pm

pugilist13 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I certainly see your point, but when 24 hits the ice he has four eyes in stripes glued to him. Look no further than the phantom slash on Karlsson in the Sens series.Now the McQuaid thing...Thats a boarding minor if your name isn't Matt Cooke.

I understand what you're trying to say. And it's valid. I just think we should fight through it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm

I really, really hate Boston. I wish I could articulate my hatred in more verbose terms, but I'm not eloquent enough. The entire sports culture and fandom there is just vomit inducing.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens9192 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I guess Krug is the new "Next Best Player in the World". Step aside, Giroux!
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:I really, really hate Boston. I wish I could articulate my hatred in more verbose terms, but I'm not eloquent enough. The entire sports culture and fandom there is just vomit inducing.

This is why I no longer dislike the Manning brothers, especially Eli.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:I really, really hate Boston. I wish I could articulate my hatred in more verbose terms, but I'm not eloquent enough. The entire sports culture and fandom there is just vomit inducing.

This is why I no longer dislike the Manning brothers, especially Eli.

I root against anything Boston related. Even the Red Sox and Celtics, participants in two sports I really don't care for, I still make time to root against them. I've never heard of one person who talks about what a great experience they had with a Boston sports fan, they can all jump in an acid pit for all I care.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Can we get a revival of the "Things Matt Cooke has done" thread? That was fun.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 pm

I still hate Philthy more, however I would give a couple hundred bucks to punch Marchand in the face. #Punchablefaces
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:18 pm

canaan wrote:Matt Cooke for president of the world. I'm sick of defending penguins players. I'm gonna start reveling in other teams views of the penguins as villains. Huzzah.

Quite right, huzzah! I'm tired of people asking me, "So, what do you think about [insert controversial Pens player or situation here]?" Like they really care and aren't looking for a chance to pounce with their largely myth-based BS.

Take the phans (please!): That two-hander that broke Kharlamov's ankle was a slash for freedom, I suppose.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

I also still think Cooke is more of an asset than a liability right now. Yeah, the boarding penalty was Cooke being over-zealous and most other players only get a 2min minor while a guy with his rep gets a major, but he's played his butt off in the post-season and been a force out there without getting all the "Matt Cooke calls" before last game.

Cooke is a good 3rd liner and a fixture on the PK. He's also not expensive contract-wise and has done about everything possible to clean his game up and now is bringing the physicality in usually better fashion than before without being so passive as he was last year.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ScottishPenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't think he's quite so badly victimised as people think. It's as easy for us to sit back and give it the "2 minutes for being Matt Cooke lol" on a borderline call that goes against us as it is for other fans to jump out of their chairs with the instant lynch mob when he's involved in a borderline call that goes against them.

He is going to take penalties from time to time because of the hard, gritty game he's playing, but if you compare him to other guys on our team who are being asked to fill similar roles, his PIM stat looks pretty standard. For what he's bringing to the table, I'd like to see him back next year.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

pugilist13 wrote:

I still hate Philthy more, however I would give a couple hundred bucks to punch Marchand in the face. #Punchablefaces

Philly fans are just boneheaded dopes. Boston fans have a sense of arrogance and superiority that makes you lose faith in all that's good with humanity.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:29 pm

ScottishPenguin wrote:He is going to take penalties from time to time because of the hard, gritty game he's playing, but if you compare him to other guys on our team who are being asked to fill similar roles, his PIM stat looks pretty standard. For what he's bringing to the table, I'd like to see him back next year.

:thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Sarcastic wrote:... It's the Boston fanbase trying to turn Pens into Satan and I'm going to ignore it from now.

The Pens re-acquired Miro Satan?
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:... It's the Boston fanbase trying to turn Pens into Satan and I'm going to ignore it from now.

No titles since he's been gone.....
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:09 pm

PghSkins wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:

No titles since he's been gone.....

He's a guy who knew the right time to fight to change momentum.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 am

Losing to these Boston morons who really don't know anything about hockey is really annoying... Let's take back this series goddamnit
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins