Bruins v. Penguins ECF Game 2 GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bruins v. Penguins ECF Game 2 GDT

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

sniper wrote:
KG wrote:
cojac wrote:
DelPen wrote:Should have just upgraded the defense and bottom 6 instead of forcing Iggy into a bad position. But Bylsma has no clue what he is doing.

If I saw Bylsma, I'd punch him right in the mouth :!:

This all started because Bylsma couldn't dare break up the "best line in hockey" with Crosby/Dupuis/Kunitz...

Sorry, you got Iginla to play with Crosby. Iginla chose Pittsburgh to play with Crosby.

Not play LW and play out of position, and certainly not to play on the 2nd power play unit.

Bylsma did not handle Iginla well at all...bad in fact.

Iginla sucks. He just flat out sucks. It's not that he should be with Sid or not. The man does nothing to earn top two line minutes. He is soft. He hits nobody. Big soft teddy bear. On the rare occasion he actually gets to the opposition in time to hit them, he gives them a little love tap. It's sad. Very unimpressed by him. He's supposed to be a star, but all he is now is a has been. All he has is a great shot, but he is too slow to get in a position to actually use it at even strength. Tyler Kennedy, Beau Bennett, Jokinen, and Jeffrey are better players 5 on 5. Iginla is a black hole out there.

He does not suck on the power play near the point. But DB does not like him there anymore for some reason.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
sniper wrote:
KG wrote:
cojac wrote:
DelPen wrote:Should have just upgraded the defense and bottom 6 instead of forcing Iggy into a bad position. But Bylsma has no clue what he is doing.

This all started because Bylsma couldn't dare break up the "best line in hockey" with Crosby/Dupuis/Kunitz...

Sorry, you got Iginla to play with Crosby. Iginla chose Pittsburgh to play with Crosby.

Not play LW and play out of position, and certainly not to play on the 2nd power play unit.

Iginla sucks. He just flat out sucks. It's not that he should be with Sid or not. The man does nothing to earn top two line minutes. He is soft. He hits nobody. Big soft teddy bear. On the rare occasion he actually gets to the opposition in time to hit them, he gives them a little love tap. It's sad. Very unimpressed by him. He's supposed to be a star, but all he is now is a has been. All he has is a great shot, but he is too slow to get in a position to actually use it at even strength. Tyler Kennedy, Beau Bennett, Jokinen, and Jeffrey are better players 5 on 5. Iginla is a black hole out there.

Sadly, I can't disagree.

What do you do with him? Try him with Sid again? Play him on the third line?

I dunno... maybe that's why he's not playing with Sid... maybe Sid knows that he's a liability???
Putting him in his proper position wouldn't hurt though... its clear that nothing is going right for that line.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 pm

bh wrote:I think DB is a problem, but I still don't understand why our players make so many bone headed plays.
Can't we just try a game where we stress making high percentage plays the whole game.
I see so many guys taking unnecessary risks and the biggest offenders are Sid, Letang, Nisky, and Geno.
Is this because HCDB lets them play how they want? I'd be livid after a performance like that if I was the coach.

If they do it once in a blue moon, it's the players. If they do it every time a team can play to their level it's coaching.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:Pens in 6 or 7.

I agree.

I think the Pens have played two main styles this year. Their game, or Plan A and the contingency system, or Plan B. IMO, Plan B is what was played more during March; it is less risky, produces fewer GA and GF, but more wins. I think the key miscalculation in game 2 was continued faith in Plan A.

This won't seem like a big deal at all after they win game 3.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

I had predicted in 6. I didn't predict that after game 2 I'd have to rationalize it to the hilt, though.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeanPronovost on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Not to be obnoxious, but where is everyone getting this "eight seconds" storyline? It was 25 seconds.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 pm

JeanPronovost wrote:Not to be obnoxious, but where is everyone getting this "eight seconds" storyline? It was 25 seconds.

Oh... if i'm wrong in that, please correct me. Literally thought it was 8 seconds.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
sniper wrote:
KG wrote:
cojac wrote:

He does not suck on the power play near the point. But DB does not like him there anymore for some reason.

You'd think a 36% rate would make him come around. We have to see it on Wednesday, right? Right?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 pm

never thought that I would say that Klowd Jewleeanne looked and sounded like a coach... but compared to DB he looks like Scotty Bowman
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

JeanPronovost wrote:Not to be obnoxious, but where is everyone getting this "eight seconds" storyline? It was 25 seconds.

Does it really matter? The bottom line is they couldn't hold what little momentum they had until the end of the period.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Desiato wrote:

I agree.

I think the Pens have played two main styles this year. Their game, or Plan A and the contingency system, or Plan B. IMO, Plan B is what was played more during March; it is less risky, produces fewer GA and GF, but more wins. I think the key miscalculation in game 2 was continued faith in Plan A.

This won't seem like a big deal at all after they win game 3.

And it might be all but forgotten if they win game 4, too.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

have a great night guys and FYI... Optional practice tmw before flying to Boston...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

bh wrote:I think DB is a problem, but I still don't understand why our players make so many bone headed plays.
Can't we just try a game where we stress making high percentage plays the whole game.
I see so many guys taking unnecessary risks and the biggest offenders are Sid, Letang, Nisky, and Geno.
Is this because HCDB lets them play how they want? I'd be livid after a performance like that if I was the coach.

It's a system that relies on quick, skilled passes and quick thinking, therefore, IMO, produces more errors. Of course, the players are always going to look bad when the errors occur.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 pm

"Dan what can be done to diffuse what they have been able to do so far this series...."

4 seconds of silence

" We are going to Boston to win game 1... blah blah blah... "
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 pm

bhaw wrote:

If they do it once in a blue moon, it's the players. If they do it every time a team can play to their level it's coaching.

So Letang throwing a risky pass up the middle of the defensive zone after the penalty expires is tied to the coach how? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:23 pm

We were down 3 early and I'm sure that's about the worst possible first period we could ask for, but Sutter may have turned the game around with that goal. I honestly believed that we'd be right back into this game after that goal, until Fleury once again killed any momentum this team would have had.

When it was 3-1 going into the second period, there's no way this game was over....but Fleury made sure to leave his mark again. That was the turning point.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

The turning point was when the Pens decided to play pond hockey.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

"got off our game plan... got way from playing the way we need to play..."

sorry Danno... not good enough
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

bh wrote:
bhaw wrote:

So Letang throwing a risky pass up the middle of the defensive zone after the penalty expires is tied to the coach how? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Because he does it on a regular basis and nothing happens to him?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Goodnight, all. Have a flight to catch in the morning, and I'll be lucky to get any sleep as it is.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Only good thing to come out of tonight is I earned my Penspoints jersey.

But after that display there isn't one player on the ice whose jersey I want to wear.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
bh wrote:So Letang throwing a risky pass up the middle of the defensive zone after the penalty expires is tied to the coach how? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Because he does it on a regular basis and nothing happens to him?

ok, so accountability is the issue?
He doesn't hold players accountable, unless they are 3rd/4th liners not named Adams.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 pm

marek wrote:"got off our game plan... got way from playing the way we need to play..."

sorry Danno... not good enough

What do you expect him to say? Well Sid had one of the worst games of his career, and #58, well he was a turnover machine tonight. Maybe you could do that 30 years ago, but it doesn't fly in 2013. Just ask the former Ranger head coach about that.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sniper on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 pm

The Penguins can still win, but they have to play smarter and they have to be patient. Play 0 to 0 at even strength with little to no shots for even strength if you have to and take you chances on special teams. In both games the Bruins won based on scoring off turnovers or just stupid plays where the Penguins just leave people wide open. That stuff is correctable.

They need to play Boston like they played them during the regular season. Patient. Wait for your chances and don't give away free stuff. Instead all they do is give away freebies.

Also I would put Bennett in and play him on the Malkin line. Iginla moves to the 4th line. Kennedy comes back in for Jokinen. Bennett can play in place of Adams, although I'd give serious thought to playing Adams over Iginla. At least Adams hits.

Vokoun starts. Fleury gave up two awful goals. Got to play smart though or the goalie won't matter.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't know how 58 can look his teammates in the eye. All that work all year and you singlehandedly take away any chance your team has of winning the game in the first 12 minutes.

You are a defenseman, on this team you do not need to win the game on your own at the risk of losing it on your own.

DB should have sat him after the 5-1 goal to at least pretend that there is accountability.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins