Bruins v. Penguins ECF Game 2 GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bruins v. Penguins ECF Game 2 GDT

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 pm

bh wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
bh wrote:So Letang throwing a risky pass up the middle of the defensive zone after the penalty expires is tied to the coach how? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Because he does it on a regular basis and nothing happens to him?

ok, so accountability is the issue?
He doesn't hold players accountable, unless they are 3rd/4th liners not named Adams.

When a team does things like this on a regular basis you need to send messages. These guys are professionals and few good practice session to focus on repeated mistakes wouldn't hurt.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't get Sid this game. He looked like he was skating in mud.

Where was his explosive burst of speed? Why was he so out of whack? Are the B's in his head? Are they too physical for him to handle? Is their defense really that good?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Of course the Bruins looks like a machine , they have lead for 116 of 120 minutes. I am sure the mantra in that room is, just sit back until they fall apart.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
bh wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
bh wrote:So Letang throwing a risky pass up the middle of the defensive zone after the penalty expires is tied to the coach how? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

He doesn't hold players accountable, unless they are 3rd/4th liners not named Adams.

When a team does things like this on a regular basis you need to send messages. These guys are professionals and few good practice session to focus on repeated mistakes wouldn't hurt.

Correct.

You can hate on Letang all you want for the things he does, and believe me I do, but when the coach never does anything about it, like take playing time away, then why should we expect Letang to change?

Letang has the most free reign I've ever seen from a dman. He can literally do whatever he wants out there and nothing will happen to him. That is all on Bylsma.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
sniper wrote:
KG wrote:
cojac wrote:
DelPen wrote:Should have just upgraded the defense and bottom 6 instead of forcing Iggy into a bad position. But Bylsma has no clue what he is doing.

If I saw Bylsma, I'd punch him right in the mouth :!:

This all started because Bylsma couldn't dare break up the "best line in hockey" with Crosby/Dupuis/Kunitz...

Sorry, you got Iginla to play with Crosby. Iginla chose Pittsburgh to play with Crosby.

Not play LW and play out of position, and certainly not to play on the 2nd power play unit.

Bylsma did not handle Iginla well at all...bad in fact.

Iginla sucks. He just flat out sucks. It's not that he should be with Sid or not. The man does nothing to earn top two line minutes. He is soft. He hits nobody. Big soft teddy bear. On the rare occasion he actually gets to the opposition in time to hit them, he gives them a little love tap. It's sad. Very unimpressed by him. He's supposed to be a star, but all he is now is a has been. All he has is a great shot, but he is too slow to get in a position to actually use it at even strength. Tyler Kennedy, Beau Bennett, Jokinen, and Jeffrey are better players 5 on 5. Iginla is a black hole out there.

Sadly, I can't disagree.

What do you do with him? Try him with Sid again? Play him on the third line?

Again? Have you watched the Pens much? How about play Iginla with Sid for more than a shift or two a game. How about for one full period. That would be miles ahead of how he is being used currently. Then maybe they could play them together for the whole game.
Ever since coming here Iginla has played nothing to speak of time with Crosby. Period. He is a lousy fit on the Neal Malkin line.

But what would be a nice is Kunitz, Neal, Malkin line. They just naturally generate a cycle and puck possession. Something the Pens on all lines are missing.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penscup on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 pm

murphydump55 wrote:We were down 3 early and I'm sure that's about the worst possible first period we could ask for, but Sutter may have turned the game around with that goal. I honestly believed that we'd be right back into this game after that goal, until Fleury once again killed any momentum this team would have had.

When it was 3-1 going into the second period, there's no way this game was over....but Fleury made sure to leave his mark again. That was the turning point.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

This team had NOTHING tonight. NOTHING! You must be blind.

It's all Fleury's fault! :scared: :scared: :scared:
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Playing Iginla at LW is such a disservice to him and the team. He's terrible there. He never played it before and Bylsma is forcing him to because he doesn't want to upset Crosby by taking Kunitz off his line.

Yes folks, your head coach would rather make Crosby happy then do what's better for the team.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm not optimistic about the series (although I can easily see us winning it still), but I think if we were to score first in a game, the dynamic would be completely different, as a) Bruins wouldn't be able to sit back as they have the past two game and b) our guys won't be tempted to make as stupid chances turning one goal deficits into 2-3 goal deficits.

The refs have been awful as they missed a few sure fire calls, but our PP is so atrocious that I can't really blame the refs. Still irate about the game 1 Marchand hit not being a game though - that honestly may have altered the entire direction of the series.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GDR on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Iginla has been the ultimate teammate. He's a hall of fame right winger being asked to play out of position for the first time in that hall of fame career by a moron of a head coach. Of course he looks out of sorts. Imagine you've been doing a job for 15 years and one day your boss comes up to you and asks you to do something entirely different where you have no background or training. You wouldn't have a clue what to do either.
Last edited by GDR on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Desiato wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:Pens in 6 or 7.

I agree.

I think the Pens have played two main styles this year. Their game, or Plan A and the contingency system, or Plan B. IMO, Plan B is what was played more during March; it is less risky, produces fewer GA and GF, but more wins. I think the key miscalculation in game 2 was continued faith in Plan A.

This won't seem like a big deal at all after they win game 3.

I totally agree. You don't go 21-2 by accident.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Feeling like the series is over....

the old guys realize yeah it was a good run...
the new guys just want to go back to their families...
fleury just hoping not to get bought out...
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I don't know how 58 can look his teammates in the eye. All that work all year and you singlehandedly take away any chance your team has of winning the game in the first 12 minutes.

You are a defenseman, on this team you do not need to win the game on your own at the risk of losing it on your own.

DB should have sat him after the 5-1 goal to at least pretend that there is accountability.

Out of all the players he frustrates me the most. First goal, he pinches in deep. Second goal, just gives it right to them. The guy makes some of the worst plays at the worst possible time.

I was kind of pissed that they didn't try and build momentum for the next game. Yeah 5-1 is bad, but at least show some life and just work on fundamentals. Play simple and work the rest of the game to get to a better place for the next game. Instead they looked dejected and uninterested. blah.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

farnham16 wrote:Playing Iginla at LW is such a disservice to him and the team. He's terrible there. He never played it before and Bylsma is forcing him to because he doesn't want to upset Crosby by taking Kunitz off his line.

Yes folks, your head coach would rather make Crosby happy then do what's better for the team.

Digging deeper into this might get you to the root of the pens problems....
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 pm

bh wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

This was basically it. So if you look at one play in a vacuum, you can say "Letang made a really stupid play. That's his fault." And you would be correct. But how many bad passes or pinches or how many times can he be out of position before you say "well someone should make him fix that"? Then how many players on the team can do it before you look around and say "Wow... When this team plays tough competition, there is no structure or discipline here?"

On a micro level, the players are making bad plays. On the macro level, the coach is doing nothing to fix or minimize it. And if you say "maybe he is but the players aren't listening" you just explained why the coach would need to go.

I personally have no clue how db made it out of the last post season. Alas, here we are again.

Bruins are literally waiting for everything we do on offense. They are covering the passes and isolating the puck carriers entering the zone by surrounding them. On their offensive possessions, they are doing what the islanders did almost to a T by making our guys over pursue and hitting wide open players. I don't care who's in net at this point.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 pm

GenoSidStaalsy wrote:I'm not optimistic about the series (although I can easily see us winning it still), but I think if we were to score first in a game, the dynamic would be completely different, as a) Bruins wouldn't be able to sit back as they have the past two game and b) our guys won't be tempted to make as stupid chances turning one goal deficits into 2-3 goal deficits.

The refs have been awful as they missed a few sure fire calls, but our PP is so atrocious that I can't really blame the refs. Still irate about the game 1 Marchand hit not being a game though - that honestly may have altered the entire direction of the series.

The Pens altered the direction of this series. They didn't capitalize on chances in game 1 and they were awful in game 2.

Can they turn it around? They have the talent but they may not have the ability.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Kharlamov wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Playing Iginla at LW is such a disservice to him and the team. He's terrible there. He never played it before and Bylsma is forcing him to because he doesn't want to upset Crosby by taking Kunitz off his line.

Are you implying that Crosby's selfishness is the root of the Pens problems?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Kharlamov wrote:

What are you saying? Lemieux?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:

Not at all. Look, Crosby has publicly stated that he prefers to play with Dupuis and Kunitz, and he has every right to want that. But the decision is the head coach's. Period.

Its all on Bylsma.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm

I wish Bran Stark would use his skills to take over his doppelganger Letang's brain.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm

bh wrote:I think DB is a problem, but I still don't understand why our players make so many bone headed plays.
Can't we just try a game where we stress making high percentage plays the whole game.
I see so many guys taking unnecessary risks and the biggest offenders are Sid, Letang, Nisky, and Geno.
Is this because HCDB lets them play how they want? I'd be livid after a performance like that if I was the coach.

lack of direction?

don't think they'd play like this under therrien.

this wasn't just a loss, it was an embarrassment. seems it's a trend now in the playoffs.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

bhaw wrote:This was basically it. So if you look at one play in a vacuum, you can say "Letang made a really stupid play. That's his fault." And you would be correct. But how many bad passes or pinches or how many times can he be out of position before you say "well someone should make him fix that"? Then how many players on the team can do it before you look around and say "Wow... When this team plays tough competition, there is no structure or discipline here?"

On a micro level, the players are making bad plays. On the macro level, the coach is doing nothing to fix or minimize it. And if you say "maybe he is but the players aren't listening" you just explained why the coach would need to go.

I personally have no clue how db made it out of the last post season. Alas, here we are again.

Bruins are literally waiting for everything we do on offense. They are covering the passes and isolating the puck carriers entering the zone by surrounding them. On their offensive possessions, they are doing what the islanders did almost to a T by making our guys over pursue and hitting wide open players. I don't care who's in net at this point.

Yeah, goal doesn't seem to be a big problem right now. Just not getting dominated in all three zones would be nice.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

bhaw wrote:
bh wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

This was basically it. So if you look at one play in a vacuum, you can say "Letang made a really stupid play. That's his fault." And you would be correct. But how many bad passes or pinches or how many times can he be out of position before you say "well someone should make him fix that"? Then how many players on the team can do it before you look around and say "Wow... When this team plays tough competition, there is no structure or discipline here?"

So, does this team not want to be coached or is Dan not capable of coaching or imposing his will? If it's the former then Mario needs to have a long talk with Sid, Geno, and Letang. If it's the latter then we need someone with a little more fire in the belly.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 pm

farnham16 wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:

Not at all. Look, Crosby has publicly stated that he prefers to play with Dupuis and Kunitz, and he has every right to want that. But the decision is the head coach's. Period.

Ah, gotcha.

Its all on Bylsma.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

The Bruins should say "We got this in the bag"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 am

@MolinariPG 1m
The Bruins will take Tuesday off. Seems only fair, since the Penguins did that Monday.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins