Obligatory, Who Should Start Game 3 Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who begins the epic comeback?

Fleury
20%
Vokoun
61%
Ken Wregget
19%

Total votes : 96

Re: Obligatory, Who Should Start Game 3 Thread

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Maybe, maybe not. There are several other starting goalies on the trade market as well as at least a couple good ones on the UFA market. Fleury's got a limited no trade. The possibility for a buy-out lowers the Pens' leverage, as teams may just wait until he's released if they think that's a strong possibility. I think a trade could be pretty difficult to pull off, especially a trade in which the Pens aren't taking something undesirable back. With the cap going down I'm not sure many teams are just going to take $5 million on without sending some back. The easiest and best move might just be to buy him out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Crankshaft wrote:There is 0 chance he's a compliance buy-out. Even if it's mid-round picks/prospects, someone will take him.

No one wants Fleury's salary cap hit. 5.5 million is hell of a lot to pay for an inconsistent goaltender
Last edited by thepittman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm

thepittman wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:There is 0 chance he's a compliance buy-out. Even if it's mid-round picks/prospects, someone will take him.

No one wants Fleury's salary cap hit

How do you know this?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
thepittman wrote:

How do you know this?

5.5 MILLION

That is elite goaltender money
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm

DelPen wrote:If Fleury's Cap hit is needed then he will be a compliance buyout. Any goalie can backstop this team to the playoffs and apparently Fleury can't do anything more than simply that for this team.

I don't even care what happens to Fleury after the season. If the pens keep him I am fine with it... if they trade him, I am fine with it, and if they buy him out I am fine with it. All that matters to me right now is that Vokoun starts, and plays well for the remainder of the playoffs this year. He has earned it, and at this point in time he is without a doubt the better option of the two goalies we have.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm

penscup wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:A laser to the top corner from the far boards (not even on the off-wing side) with a defenseman in his face and 8 seconds left in a period when all you had to do is stay up and it hits you in the chest? Yeah he should have stopped it

How the bejezerbus do you stop a perfect shot to the corner of the net with your chest?

Man I love LGP.

:face: :face: :face:

Easy. he went down into his butterfly to make a save on a high shop. He stands up rather than going down, the shot hits him in the chest. The net is only 4 feet high, and he's 5 feet something. There you go.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:41 pm

PAPLine wrote:
penscup wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:A laser to the top corner from the far boards (not even on the off-wing side) with a defenseman in his face and 8 seconds left in a period when all you had to do is stay up and it hits you in the chest? Yeah he should have stopped it

How the bejezerbus do you stop a perfect shot to the corner of the net with your chest?

Man I love LGP.

:face: :face: :face:

Easy. he went down into his butterfly to make a save on a high shop. He stands up rather than going down, the shot hits him in the chest. The net is only 4 feet high, and he's 5 feet something. There you go.

He didn't go down into the butterfly.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm no Pollyanna, but I just can't imagine Flower in another sweater. It'll break my heart, and I know I'm being irrational and emotional about something I shouldn't.

I'm looking at the Pens' tweet quoting Bylsma:

Bylsma: We don't need perfection. We're looking for a solid game between the pipes from our goalie and allow our team to win the hockey game - an hour ago

We also need the team in front of him to give our goalie a fighting chance. A solid game is needed by all, from the goal out. /geniusobservation
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Everyone said Fleury would have to come in and "steal a game" at some point for the Penguins to advance. Well, "stealing a game" means you have to stop some shots that you normally wouldn't be expected to. He didn't. The myths surrounding Fleury's play are incredible. He hasn't been good enough to steal a game in a series since like, 2008 (Game 5 Detroit was the best I've ever seen a goaltender play in my life).
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Everyone said Fleury would have to come in and "steal a game" at some point for the Penguins to advance. Well, "stealing a game" means you have to stop some shots that you normally wouldn't be expected to. He didn't. The myths surrounding Fleury's play are incredible. He hasn't been good enough to steal a game in a series since like, 2008 (Game 5 Detroit was the best I've ever seen a goaltender play in my life).

He came in cold. You really expected him to be 100% ready in a 3-0 game?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Fleury stole game 5 in the Flyers series last year. Other than that, he hasn't turned in an elite postseason performance in quite some time.

Bylsma's quote that all they need is a solid effort in goal (which I agree with) leads me to believe Vokoun gets the nod tonight. If the Pens play the way they are capable of playing and Vokoun equals the play Rask, the Pens win tonight, and probably four out of the next 5 for that matter. If you go with Spaz in goal and he blows up early, they're down 3-0 in the series.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Everyone said Fleury would have to come in and "steal a game" at some point for the Penguins to advance. Well, "stealing a game" means you have to stop some shots that you normally wouldn't be expected to. He didn't. The myths surrounding Fleury's play are incredible. He hasn't been good enough to steal a game in a series since like, 2008 (Game 5 Detroit was the best I've ever seen a goaltender play in my life).

I'd say it was beyond cold, since it had been nearly 4 weeks since he saw action in a game. Not to mention the CBC guys talking about how Fleury looked completely shocked when Bylsma told him he was going in.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm

If you have any thoughts about trying to move Fleury, I wouldn't expose him anymore in this postseason. If he goes out and lays an egg, most GMs out there may start to think he has lost it completely.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Why shouldn't that be expected? He needs to be prepared to go at all times. That part of preparations. I think Vokoun even said he always had the mindset you practice and prepare every day like you are going to be playing and be the starter. He needs to be able to mentally handle that. No excuse for it.

Fleury is a mental midget sometimes. I don't know why it is. I like the guy, I want him to succeed, but by this point in his career he shouldn't need to be coddled. So yes he should have been ready to go.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
thepittman wrote:

How do you know this?

How do you know what you said? Nothing better on a discussion board than combating what people think with "How do you know??? Are you in the front office?? Are you in the locker room??"

You could respond like that to already litteraly anything anyone says here.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Fleury stole game 5 in the Flyers series last year. Other than that, he hasn't turned in an elite postseason performance in quite some time.

He was fantastic in game 7 against Tampa in 2011, as well as their 3 wins that series. Even going back to 2010, he flat-out stole the Pens' 2 wins against Montreal.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:You could respond like that to already litteraly anything anyone says here.

How do you know this?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:57 pm

I love how when Fleury plays well or even really well its always "Stealing a game" like its something that needs to go down in the annals of history and always be remembered. Most goalies have unreal games in the playoffs from time to time, sometimes often. But these Fleury meltdowns are reaching Luongo level
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:57 pm

I guess now the $1,000,000 question is: "what happens if they go down 0-3 after tonight's game?"
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:57 pm

skullman80 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Why shouldn't that be expected? He needs to be prepared to go at all times. That part of preparations. I think Vokoun even said he always had the mindset you practice and prepare every day like you are going to be playing and be the starter. He needs to be able to mentally handle that. No excuse for it.

Fleury is a mental midget sometimes. I don't know why it is. I like the guy, I want him to succeed, but by this point in his career he shouldn't need to be coddled. So yes he should have been ready to go.

I'm not referring to mental preparation. I'm talking about sitting on the bench for 18 minutes, then coming in and being expected to perform as though you had been playing the entire time in front of a porous defense.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I love how when Fleury plays well or even really well its always "Stealing a game" like its something that needs to go down in the annals of history and always be remembered. Most goalies have unreal games in the playoffs from time to time, sometimes often. But these Fleury meltdowns are reaching Luongo level

FWIW, I wouldn't call game 5 last year a "steal". Note that I didn't even refer to the wins against Tampa a stealing games despite the anemic offense - but he was on another planet in the wins against Montreal in 2010.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

tfrizz wrote:I guess now the $1,000,000 question is: "what happens if they go down 0-3 after tonight's game?"

If we do, I'd bet it has more to do with the team's performance than our goalie's which would be the case whether it was TV or MAF.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Maybe, maybe not. There are several other starting goalies on the trade market as well as at least a couple good ones on the UFA market. Fleury's got a limited no trade. The possibility for a buy-out lowers the Pens' leverage, as teams may just wait until he's released if they think that's a strong possibility. I think a trade could be pretty difficult to pull off, especially a trade in which the Pens aren't taking something undesirable back. With the cap going down I'm not sure many teams are just going to take $5 million on without sending some back. The easiest and best move might just be to buy him out.

I could see a move where a team will send some salary back where they can't afford a buyout, like a $3 million player and then we can use them or buy them out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm

tfrizz wrote:I guess now the $1,000,000 question is: "what happens if they go down 0-3 after tonight's game?"

Then Fleury plays. He's the backup, thats his job now. No matter the outcome it wont mean that starting Vokoun was wrong.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm

I'd be fine if he played like he had been playing his entire life up to that day, like he has.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins