Obligatory, Who Should Start Game 3 Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who begins the epic comeback?

Fleury
20%
Vokoun
61%
Ken Wregget
19%

Total votes : 96

Re: Obligatory, Who Should Start Game 3 Thread

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm

tfrizz wrote:I guess now the $1,000,000 question is: "what happens if they go down 0-3 after tonight's game?"

same standards apply - you go with the goalie who you think will play better - which, after tonight, will most likely be vokoun again
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 pm

skullman80 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Everyone said Fleury would have to come in and "steal a game" at some point for the Penguins to advance. Well, "stealing a game" means you have to stop some shots that you normally wouldn't be expected to. He didn't. The myths surrounding Fleury's play are incredible. He hasn't been good enough to steal a game in a series since like, 2008 (Game 5 Detroit was the best I've ever seen a goaltender play in my life).

He came in cold. You really expected him to be 100% ready in a 3-0 game?

Why shouldn't that be expected? He needs to be prepared to go at all times. That part of preparations. I think Vokoun even said he always had the mindset you practice and prepare every day like you are going to be playing and be the starter. He needs to be able to mentally handle that. No excuse for it.

Fleury is a mental midget sometimes. I don't know why it is. I like the guy, I want him to succeed, but by this point in his career he shouldn't need to be coddled. So yes he should have been ready to go.

I don't believe there's ever been a point in Fleury's career where he's actually had to practice that, and it's one of the reasons I like to see goalies brought along slowly. Fleury has been a starter since day 1 of his QMJHL career, and has probably only ever learned how to prepare as a starter. Vokoun spent 7 seasons as a backup or split time goalie in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL before taking over the starting role for Nashville in 2002. During that time, he was able to better develop his mental game including properly preparing regardless of whether you're starting or not.

Not trying to make excuses - I'm sure every knows how I feel about proper goalie development by now, and it'll never change. Take your time, let them properly develop, and you'll get results!!!!!

slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:I guess now the $1,000,000 question is: "what happens if they go down 0-3 after tonight's game?"

If we do, I'd bet it has more to do with the team's performance than our goalie's which would be the case whether it was TV or MAF.

Very true. I'm just wondering what happens for game 4 in that case - and not just in regards to goaltending.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:11 pm

It doesn't matter who our goalie is. The team is playing like crap.
When the defense breaks down - Vokoun is worse than Fleury. When the team "gets to their game", it doesn't matter who the goalie is. What you saw in game 2 is exactly what would have happened had Vokoun played in games 2-4 against the islanders.

The real issue is that when the team doesn't "Get to their game", there is panic, giveaways, and a full team breakdown. Philly, Islanders, and now Boston. If you havent noticed - you haven't paid attention. The goalie does not make a difference when 18 skaters suck. The only fix is for 18 guys to adjust mentally.

If the team continues this type of play, Vokoun will lose and probably have to be replaced in the first period. Fluery will still give up goals because you just can't win turning the puck over like that **** all over yourself in your own end.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:16 pm

There is no way, and I'm almost certain of this, that no matter what, that Vokoun turns in the comedy show that Fleury did in Game 4 against the Isles. No way. They were just as bad in Game 6 and he was calm throughout the game. Vokoun doesnt give up the soul crushers that MAF does (or kicks in his own net) Even back in the Isles series MAF was doing just what he did Monday, give up goals right after the Pens score. Almost immediately. Same as last year. Vokoun at least has some sense of not being a complete spazz
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Said Vokoun: "I'm just trying to repay their confidence and have a good game."

Let's hope the penguins remember they are an NHL team and play well for you!

Kevin Allen ‏@ByKevinAllen 10m
What Tomas Vokoun had to say about being named Game 3 starter. http://usat.ly/18WHlLy
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Fleury is going to get the Michalek and Martin treatment:
Shero: "Do you want out?"
Fleury: "No."
Pens win 2013-2014 cup after going 82-0 then 16-0 and everyone can stop talking about it.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Everyone said Fleury would have to come in and "steal a game" at some point for the Penguins to advance. Well, "stealing a game" means you have to stop some shots that you normally wouldn't be expected to. He didn't. The myths surrounding Fleury's play are incredible. He hasn't been good enough to steal a game in a series since like, 2008 (Game 5 Detroit was the best I've ever seen a goaltender play in my life).

Yes. God forbid he actually does his job as the backup goaltender.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 pm

backup goalies come cold in and lock things down all. the. time.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:There is no way, and I'm almost certain of this, that no matter what, that Vokoun turns in the comedy show that Fleury did in Game 4 against the Isles. No way.

with this team, i'm not ruling anything out
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:backup goalies come cold in and lock things down all. the. time.

Teams change the way they play to insulate a cold back up. The Pens definitely did not.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:28 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:backup goalies come cold in and lock things down all. the. time.

Teams change the way they play to insulate a cold back up. The Pens definitely did not.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:28 pm

meow wrote:

eh...we've all seen countless examples of a backup coming in and playing lights out, even though they're getting peppered.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

shmenguin wrote:
meow wrote:

eh...we've all seen countless examples of a backup coming in and playing lights out, even though they're getting peppered.

True, but not in the conference finals. Not behind a team as bad as the Pens defensively.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm

hasek. game 4. 1992.

though i guess hasek and fleury aren't even the same species.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
thepittman wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:There is 0 chance he's a compliance buy-out. Even if it's mid-round picks/prospects, someone will take him.

No one wants Fleury's salary cap hit

How do you know this?

How would the new owner announce his signing to the fans? We have acquired.. a what... an elite goalie as long as he doesn't get emotional? Fleury really screwed himself up because at the moment he is not to be considered a legitimate #1 guy, but rather a liability so he now falls into the category of "taking a chance on a player", and since he has a high salary.. not sure there would be many takers. Not saying none, just not many.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Randall, it's his pucking JOB to be ready. What if Vokoun broke is leg in the game.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Randall, it's his pucking JOB to be ready. What if Vokoun broke is leg in the game.

Randall isn't absolving Fleury from his level of suckitude. He's saying that he played his normal game and wasn't able to steal one. And you really can't expect him to. Correct me if I'm wrong, Randall.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:hasek. game 4. 1992.

though i guess hasek and fleury aren't even the same species.

There isn't a goalie in the league right now who is in the same species as Hasek.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

meow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Randall isn't absolving Fleury from his level of suckitude. He's saying that he played his normal game and wasn't able to steal one. And you really can't expect him to. Correct me if I'm wrong, Randall.

I'm saying that people who were expecting Fleury to "steal" it coming in cold without playing in 4 weeks behind a team who can't play D need to temper their expectations.

It's an all-around crapfest. No goalie was going to play well with that team in front of them in Game 2.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

If that's his normal game, holy crap we're screwed.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

If that was Fleury's normal game, then he needs to be bought out ASAP.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:08 pm

guys it seems we have a goalie issues :pop:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm

If that was Vokoun's normal game, we should just disband the team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:If that was Vokoun's normal game, we should just disband the team.

I didn't really blame him too much for those 3, do you?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

randall, you're too stubborn sometimes. vokoun is what gave us a chance since the Isles series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins