Changes for next year? Don't read if you believe in unicorns

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Changes for next year? Don't read if you believe in unic

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 am

Gaucho wrote:The biggest change will be that new banner hanging from the rafters.

"Second Place, NHL President's Trophy Standings 2012-13"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 am

About time somebody took the bait. Now hand in your fan cards and burn your blue jerseys, you nimrods.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am

I believe in unicorns but I read this thread anyway. Rebel.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The biggest change will be that new banner hanging from the rafters.

"Second Place, NHL President's Trophy Standings 2012-13"

Regular Season Eastern Conference Champs.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I believe in unicorns but I read this thread anyway. Rebel.

OUT you!
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Can't wait to hoist the banner:

4TH PLACE IN THE NHL
36-12 REGULAR SEASON
8-7 PLAYOFFS
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 am

Leaving:
Eaton, Niskanen, Kennedy, Iginla, Adams

Stays:
Cooke, Dupuis, Jeffrey (not that it matters), Murray (I hope, but probably gone), Morrow (I hope, but probably gone), Bortuzzo

Mr. Shero needs to gaze into the crystal ball and determine what to do with Letang.....he probably stays.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 am

columbia wrote:Leaving:

Stays:
Cooke, Dupuis, Jeffrey (not that it matters), Murray (I hope, but probably gone), Morrow (I hope, but probably gone), Bortuzzo

Mr. Shero needs to gaze into the crystal ball and determine what to do with Letang.....he probably stays.

I think Adams re-signs. He's lousy on most nights, but no more lousy than he was last year - which is good enough for this team apparently. Plus, we have no one else, since it looks like vitale isn't "the guy".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 am

Stays:

With a more disciplined coach and a better system, Letang can be very effective. He was better defensively back in 09 and 08, and has actually regressed under this joke of a coach. Shero had faith in Bylsma and stacked the roster, and as we can see the problem wasn't "another winger for Sid" or a "stay at home defenseman who can smash people."

It's a system that capitalizes on other team's mistakes and shortcomings, not one that invites the opposition to do that to you. The Pens made no adjustments this whole series, so Boston didn't have to either.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 am

I don't ever want to see Niskanen play another game of hockey; with the Pens or otherwise.
He's apparently not capable of getting any better in his own end.

I FEAR that it might be true of Letang too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 am

Adams made a pretty good case for himself last night. Excellent penalty killing.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 am

shmenguin wrote:

Stays:

I think Adams re-signs. He's lousy on most nights, but no more lousy than he was last year - which is good enough for this team apparently. Plus, we have no one else, since it looks like vitale isn't "the guy".

I'm still not sure what it is that keeps Vitale from being a permanent fixture on our 4th line. He's fast, he wins faceoffs, he plays physical, and hustles every single shift. I don't see him make many blunders as he keeps his game simple and dumps the puck everytime he gains the redline, so why wouldn't you want him on your 4th line?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 am

A coaching change is in order.
We've seen complete collapses in the defensive zone, and 3 series now in which the team turns into a turnover machine that can't adjust when an opponent gameplans for them.
You can't blame the goalies because when we see this breakdown, both goalies get lit up. The Ottawa series showed me nothing about this team, they suck.

Against teams with speed, some tenacity, and some talent - the penguins are an easy opponent. Bylsma's teams remind me of a football team that can run the ball all season and earn the first place seed... until they get to the playoffs and a team plays 10 guys in the box on them, and they have no idea what to do.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:32 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:A coaching change is in order.
We've seen complete collapses in the defensive zone, and 3 series now in which the team turns into a turnover machine that can't adjust when an opponent gameplans for them.
You can't blame the goalies because when we see this breakdown, both goalies get lit up. The Ottawa series showed me nothing about this team, they suck.

Against teams with speed, some tenacity, and some talent - the penguins are an easy opponent. Bylsma's teams remind me of a football team that can run the ball all season and earn the first place seed... until they get to the playoffs and a team plays 10 guys in the box on them, and they have no idea what to do.

This team doesn't suck; there's more talent on this squad than you'll find in most NHL divisions. Coaching really is 99.95% of the problem. You see that in a lot of sports a lot of the time. A coach sets up a game plan and fails to react to changing conditions. In the 19th century, a German general famously said: "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

What have we seen in all the series? An approach that emphasizes offense at all costs makes the Pens vulnerable to counterattacks. The Pens push the puck up ice with stretch passes, a turnover occurs, forwards are trapped up ice, and we get scored on. I have a different football analogy. It's like a team that throws Hail Marys on every play. Pretty soon, even the beer vendors figure out how to defend against it.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:37 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:

This team doesn't suck; there's more talent on this squad than you'll find in most NHL divisions. Coaching really is 99.95% of the problem. You see that in a lot of sports a lot of the time. A coach sets up a game plan and fails to react to changing conditions. In the 19th century, a German general famously said: "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

What have we seen in all the series? An approach that emphasizes offense at all costs makes the Pens vulnerable to counterattacks. The Pens push the puck up ice with stretch passes, a turnover occurs, forwards are trapped up ice, and we get scored on. I have a different football analogy. It's like a team that throws Hail Marys on every play. Pretty soon, even the beer vendors figure out how to defend against it.

Unless you're the Baltimore Ravens wrapped in the comfort of all yellow flags thrown for OPI. :lol: Why can't the Pens get all the calls?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:59 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:

well get von clausewitz to coach the team and we are set.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Coach: Lindy Ruff

Dupuis Crosby Clarkson
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Bennett
Nystrom Vitale Richardson
Jeffrey

Despres Yandle
Orpik Martin
Murray Bortuzzo
Engelland

Bernier
Vokoun
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 pm

My unicorn just died.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Fleury to Minnesota for Zucker and Clutterbuck
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 pm

If I ever see Letang in a Pens uniform again it will be too soon. I'll give him he's easily one of the top 3 offensive talents at Dman in the league but he's not **** worth the complete and utter lack of defensive responsibility, and especially not for the huge contract he'll earn. Trade him now while somebody will still give up big assets for him.

Malkin and Dupuis should be top priority. I'd give Iginla one more chance if he signs on the REALLY cheap, that is if he even still has any interest in signing here, but we can't invest 5+ mil in him. Nobody else that isn't already under contract past next year should be safe.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 am

I think letang is an excellent option to keep if paired with a solid defenseman and an excellent defensive system with quality coaching.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins