Changes for next year? Don't read if you believe in unicorns

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Changes for next year? Don't read if you believe in unic

Postby RPKJr429 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 am

I'd trade Letang to St. Louis (out of the East) and pick up Jaroslav Halak and another player. Fleury might have signed his buyout clause last night in relief and the Blues have a glut in front of the net I believe.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am

Rylan wrote:Why are you even a fan?

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

Toga Toga TOGA TOGA TOGA TOGA
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:- HCDB gone
- Fleury unloaded, with Vokoun playing out the next year on his contract and Zatkoff/Hartzell given a chance
- Letang traded for a top 5-10 pick + extras. Use that pick to draft a forward
- Niskanen and Kennedy traded or not retained
- Morrow gone, Iginla resigned at a discount as I think he'd do better actually playing RW and getting top PP duties under a new coach
- Dupuis resigned
- Despres, Bennet, and Vitale given full time spots in the lineup
- Give Harrington a couple of call ups from WBS to get him ready for a 5/6 spot in 14-15

I think you are on the right track. The kids showed this year that they are capable, and we do seem to have a bunch of good young defensemen. I am never sure is Letang is an asset or a liability. Today, I'd like to keep Kennedy, I'll most likely change my mind in the morning. The whole group of third and fourth liners seem to be intechangable so let's see who we can keep on the cheap and who we can't. Dupuis may be a stretch to keep after the last 2 years, and I can never make up my mind about Cooke.
I can see this thread going until camp opens in September.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

PAPLine wrote:
- Fleury unloaded, with Vokoun playing out the next year on his contract and Zatkoff/Hartzell given a chance
- Morrow gone, Iginla resigned at a discount as I think he'd do better actually playing RW and getting top PP duties under a new coach
- Dupuis resigned
- Give Harrington a couple of call ups from WBS to get him ready for a 5/6 spot in 14-15

I think you are on the right track. The kids showed this year that they are capable, and we do seem to have a bunch of good young defensemen. I am never sure is Letang is an asset or a liability. Today, I'd like to keep Kennedy, I'll most likely change my mind in the morning. The whole group of third and fourth liners seem to be intechangable so let's see who we can keep on the cheap and who we can't. Dupuis may be a stretch to keep after the last 2 years, and I can never make up my mind about Cooke.

This is pretty spot on, IMO.

The only thing i hesitate about is the coaching change. I feel that way because our whole franchise is built around that style of hockey. From the ECHL all the way to the NHL, all our teams play the same system and changing that would damage our prospects more than likely.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am

Bioshock wrote:
PAPLine wrote:
- Dupuis resigned

This is pretty spot on, IMO.

The only thing i hesitate about is the coaching change. I feel that way because our whole franchise is built around that style of hockey. From the ECHL all the way to the NHL, all our teams play the same system and changing that would damage our prospects more than likely.

I agree that it would be a shake up, but...what is this style doing for us? It's lead to multiple early round exits (and this year's collapse so far against the Bruins). Also, our system is full of highly touted defensemen but our NHL level defense is less than the sum of its parts, which points to bad defensive coaching and/or a bad defensive system. Changing the system and coaching of all our D prospects would probably help them develop better than throwing into the mess that we currently have.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 am

I think Morrow has been more valuable / fits the teams needs more than Iginla, and would be cheaper.

Also I'm starting to think that Dupuis > Kunitz, who becomes a 3rd liner in the playoffs. Trade Kunitz in the last year of his contract? That money can then be used to re-sign Dupuis.

Kunitz + Iginla = @ $7.5m cap hit
Dupuis, Cooke, + Morrow = @ $7m cap hit
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Shero needs to decide if Letang is coachable.
If not, please acquire Taylor Hall.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:07 pm

pcm wrote:I think Morrow has been more valuable / fits the teams needs more than Iginla, and would be cheaper.

Also I'm starting to think that Dupuis > Kunitz, who becomes a 3rd liner in the playoffs. Trade Kunitz in the last year of his contract? That money can then be used to re-sign Dupuis.

Kunitz + Iginla = @ $7.5m cap hit
Dupuis, Cooke, + Morrow = @ $7m cap hit

I'm torn on this, as I think under a new coach either way. If Bylsma is still here next year, then I agree whole heartedly with keeping Morrow (at a reduced salary) over Iginla. I also think it comes down to whether Bennett is ready for full time top 6 duty. If so, then your wingers are Dupuis, Kunitz, Neal, and Bennet....no room for Iginla. Hopefully Bennett can prove to be that good right handed shot that we need on the PP.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I feel like Bennett has proven that he can play up in the NHL...so he'll probably start next year in WBS.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Trade Letang for Colorado's 2014 first rounder. I think they're the most likely to be a lottery pick.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:11 pm

8 wins away = buh buh buh bye danny boy
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Trade Letang for Colorado's 2014 first rounder. I think they're the most likely to be a lottery pick.

Getting a pick that high + extras for Letang would be great, especially if Shero could be convinced to draft a forward and get Drouin or MacKinnon.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I take that back, go for 2015...lets hope Colorado is still awful then.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I would try a new coach before trading Letang.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:48 pm

after 2010-2013, if we do lose this series, how do you keep Teflon Dan, isn't it easier to fire the coach than 3/4 of your roster ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

since1970 wrote:after 2010-2013, if we do lose this series, how do you keep Teflon Dan, isn't it easier to fire the coach than 3/4 of your roster ?

Its easier to just get to your game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Trade Letang for Colorado's 2014 first rounder. I think they're the most likely to be a lottery pick.

Getting a pick that high + extras for Letang would be great, especially if Shero could be convinced to draft a forward and get Drouin or MacKinnon.

That would be ideal. We need some youngings on entry level deals.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 pm

I think Letang's future depends on whether he plays the last game of the season like he did last night or like in the Ottawa series. Love him, but the range between his best and worst is staggering, and he rarely plays in between.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:27 pm

RPKJr429 wrote:I'd trade Letang to St. Louis (out of the East) and pick up Jaroslav Halak and another player. Fleury might have signed his buyout clause last night in relief and the Blues have a glut in front of the net I believe.

STL doesn't need a top-4 D with a right shot, let alone just a top-4 D. They've plenty of that already.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 pm

I would definitely not worry at all about resigning Iginla. Holy crap he has been really invisible. I at least thought he would win some puck battles, but he isn't even playing very hard. Morrow is 10x more aggressive than Iginla.

And I'm afraid we are going to be stuck with Fleury for another year, so you really are forced to give him another chance to redeem himself. We have nothing else to lose as I doubt we can trade him for anything.

The biggest thing by far is a coaching change though. That is first and foremost.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RPKJr429 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

sil wrote:
RPKJr429 wrote:I'd trade Letang to St. Louis (out of the East) and pick up Jaroslav Halak and another player. Fleury might have signed his buyout clause last night in relief and the Blues have a glut in front of the net I believe.

STL doesn't need a top-4 D with a right shot, let alone just a top-4 D. They've plenty of that already.

:(.. But vokoun wont last forever and established goalies are hard to find.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:02 pm

They've already said they won't trade any draft pick higher than a third, Sorry.
There was also some speculation that since Patrick Roy was French Canadian and MAF was French Canadian that was a trade option, also rebuffed. At least for now.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Its interesting that everyone is calling for HCDB to be gone, or Letang to be gone, or Fleury to be gone. And there is no doubt, the D, the goaltending, and the coaching have not been good in this series.

However, the biggest problem that I see is that they just aren't scoring, and this last game, they didn't manufacturing very many scoring chances at all. This is completely uncharacteristic of this team. One goal in two games? I could understand a series like the Philly series last year, but Boston is shutting this team down.

This team is not structured to win 2-1 games on a regular basis. They need to be generating chances and scoring goals to be successful. A new goaltender or a redo on the blue line won't change the scoring troubles in this series. I don't even think coaching will impact this in a huge way.

When the stars quit being stars, the Pens are cooked.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:Its interesting that everyone is calling for HCDB to be gone, or Letang to be gone, or Fleury to be gone. And there is no doubt, the D, the goaltending, and the coaching have not been good in this series.

However, the biggest problem that I see is that they just aren't scoring, and this last game, they didn't manufacturing very many scoring chances at all. This is completely uncharacteristic of this team. One goal in two games? I could understand a series like the Philly series last year, but Boston is shutting this team down.

This team is not structured to win 2-1 games on a regular basis. They need to be generating chances and scoring goals to be successful. A new goaltender or a redo on the blue line won't change the scoring troubles in this series. I don't even think coaching will impact this in a huge way.

When the stars quit being stars, the Pens are cooked.

That is coaching. Every other coach in the league has Bylsma's system figured out. Some teams don't have the talent to stop it, some due (Philly, Isles (almost), Boston, Montreal from two years ago). If it wasn't for the PP we would have never gotten past the Isles anyway.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

I think it's like I said somewhere earlier today. If you look back to March, they were playing defense and not letting other teams possess the puck in our end. We did that by controlling the puck in their end, and when the opposition did get into our end we worked to get the puck and then got it out real quick. I think the idea was that the puck could not be in our end for more that 5 or 10 seconds. We didn't focus on scoring, we focused on defending. With that mentality, the scoring opportunities presented themselves and we scored enough to win 16 in a row. We didn't win those games playing offence, we won them playing defense.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins