The Official Comeback Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Official Comeback Thread

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

The series isn't over. Shame on everyone who is giving up and crapping on the team. I think they deserve some benefit of the doubt for getting this far. It's been a while.

I've been a huge critic of this team in recent years. I will forever be sickened by what happened last year against Philly. Here's the thing. That series wasn't over when the Pens fell behind 2-0. That series was over when they went into game three looking to pick fights rather than to get back into the series. Their response to adversity last year was to throw a temper tantrum.

This is where things need to be different this year. A win on Wednesday changes everything. We've all watched enough playoff hockey to know how fast things can change.

I'm as disappointed as anyone but it's just dumb that we've watched them get this far and people are throwing a tantrum because they've hit a rough spot. 2-0 lead is not insurmountable. Boston blew a 3-0 lead a few years ago. They miraculously avoided blowing a 3-1 lead to Toronto this year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Official Comeback Thread

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 pm

The Pens haven't lost 4 games yet. There's always still a chance.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

2-0 is not impossible to recover from when you lose the first two on the road. Home is a different animal. Is it possible? Of course. But not likely. I would be happy if the can get the series back to Pittsburgh, but there is nothing to make me think that this will happen.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The Pens haven't lost 4 games yet. There's always still a chance.

I mean, I'm not even talking about blind optimism. If they were down 3-0 I'd be pretty much packing it in. If they were a vastly inferior team to Boston I might be feeling the same. This team is good enough to come back from down 2-0 to anybody. They did it to the freaking Red Wings in the Finals before. They just need to come back on Wednesday ready to win, not ready to fight. Hopefully they learned their lesson last year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 pm

And you really expect Bylsma's superior coaching to lead them out of this hole?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Co-sign this thread
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:The Pens haven't lost 4 games yet. There's always still a chance.

I mean, I'm not even talking about blind optimism. If they were down 3-0 I'd be pretty much packing it in. If they were a vastly inferior team to Boston I might be feeling the same. This team is good enough to come back from down 2-0 to anybody. They did it to the freaking Red Wings in the Finals before. They just need to come back on Wednesday ready to win, not ready to fight. Hopefully they learned their lesson last year.

I wasn't really going for the "blind optimism" thing (though I can't really fault you for the assumption :lol: )

This team is good enough to comeback and win this series. As long as the other team doesn't have 4 in the W column, I think the Pens could still win it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah! We believe in unicorns!!!!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Sens in 6. The game plan to beat the Pens is evident and Ottawa has already been waiting for days able to start planning. The Senators are also looking for revenge on what they believe was Cooke intentionally taking out their best guy. I don't believe the Pens will be willing to match the intensity that Ottawa brings.

From May 12 before the OTT series even started.

Henry Hank wrote:I'm having hard time caring that this ship is sinking. What difference does it make if they somehow manage to beat the Islanders? They aren't a Cup contender. They will get smoked in the second round. Maybe it's better they just end the misery now.

May 11th during the early going of the NYI series.

Henry Hank wrote:Well, let's try this again. You REALLY have to think the Isles blew their chance. They can't expect the Pens to continue sleepwalking through this one. Eh, screw it. These Pens are fully capable of coming out flat again and losing this.

I'll give the Pens credit, they have finally shown life in the latter parts of the last two periods. It's just disturbing that it's taking them that long to finally start moving their feet.

I almost don't care what happens. This team just makes me sad.

May 11th.

Yeaaaaah...we are all Debbie downers who don't have faith. :roll: At least I waited until they got thoroughly dominated in every facet of the game for 2 straight games in their own building before posting stuff like that.
Last edited by Antonio on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Two crappy losses, but I'm still in. Would like to see them score first next game to maybe change the game dynamic. Either way, they havethe talent.

Go get it, Pens.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm

I believe in miracles!

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dman66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 pm

It's going to be tough. Luckily, pretty sure they can't play much worse than they did tonight. Get ready for game 3, win it, and go from there.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Lolhhsmoked
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm

In for series comeback
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

i still think they can win the series. as a team, they looked good in the 1st, believe it or not - its just that certain individuals decided to hamstring their teammates. this is still winnable.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Antonio wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Sens in 6. The game plan to beat the Pens is evident and Ottawa has already been waiting for days able to start planning. The Senators are also looking for revenge on what they believe was Cooke intentionally taking out their best guy. I don't believe the Pens will be willing to match the intensity that Ottawa brings.

Henry Hank wrote:I'm having hard time caring that this ship is sinking. What difference does it make if they somehow manage to beat the Islanders? They aren't a Cup contender. They will get smoked in the second round. Maybe it's better they just end the misery now.

Henry Hank wrote:Well, let's try this again. You REALLY have to think the Isles blew their chance. They can't expect the Pens to continue sleepwalking through this one. Eh, screw it. These Pens are fully capable of coming out flat again and losing this.

I'll give the Pens credit, they have finally shown life in the latter parts of the last two periods. It's just disturbing that it's taking them that long to finally start moving their feet.

May 11th.

Yeaaaaah...we are all Debbie downers who don't have faith. :roll: At least I waited until they got thoroughly dominated in every facet of the game for 2 straight games in their own building before posting stuff like that.

My mindset is a little different now. They've gotten through two rounds, something they haven't done in years. I give them a little benefit of the doubt. Boston is a good team. I am not going to freak out when they have some trouble against them. Losing to crap like the Islanders is a little different.

That's not what this thread is about. There's plenty of places for people to cry and have a tantrum. The Pens embarrassed themselves last year against Philly. They're not embarrassing themselves right now, they're just losing. I don't give up on a team for losing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 pm

I call 2 shots in 10 minutes embarrassing. I call two guys falling over each on the PP in their own zone embarrassing. I call two guys crashing into each other in the neutral zone embarrassing. I call getting DOMINATED on faceoffs for 120 minutes embarrassing. I call 4 goals on 13 shots embarrassing. I could go on. I am not sure what you are embarrassed by but you, my good man, must have some serious self confidence, because apparently you have a sky high tolerance before you feel something is embarrassing.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Old Time Hockey on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 pm

I will only believe if Vokoun starts and TK stays in the lineup
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 pm

This is the first real team the Pens have faced in the postseason. They're a little shell-shocked that their "talent" doesn't just roll over the opposition. It's going to take some real hockey to get back into this series. I believe the Pens have it in them.

What's it going to take? Sidney Crosby needs to wake the hell up. He sets the emotional tone for the team, and they were cooked 30 seconds in when he gave the game away. He needs to put on his big boy pants and learn to be a leader.

I want more speed. Fresh legs. Guys who can make plays. The Pens are getting crushed in the neutral zone; all they can do is dump it in and watch the Bruins collect the puck and move it out of their zone. Who says a rookie can't be relied on in the playoffs? Ask Chicago. Ask Boston. Put Despres in. Put Bennett in. Maybe something *exciting* will happen.

A few final tidbits. Jokinen is useless in playoff hockey. Kunitz is next to useless, at least, he becomes a 3rd liner. (Here's where the Pens can find the money to pay Dupuis... trade regular season phenom Chris Kunitz). Morrow is the only trade acquisition who is actually making a difference on the ice...but he's on the 3rd or 4th line. His pass to Crosby (after the PK shift) for an open scoring chance caught Sid by such surprise that it's obvious Sid has no idea what it's like to be on the receiving end of a good pass. Play Morrow in the top 6.

My lineup for Game 3:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Iginla
Bennett-Vitale-Kennedy

Orpik-Martin
Letang-Despres
Murray-Niskanen

Vokoun
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nhl94 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Give Jeffrey a chance? That kid has a decent shooting %...
nhl94

Postby Steve on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Put me down as being with HH - great thread.

Just win a game. Start by getting the first goal.

I wouldn't make alot of lineup changes - the players in there just have to be better - starting with 87 and 14. They really set the tone of the first two games, Kunitz whiffing on a beutiful scoring chance in close on the first shift, and obviously Sid giving up the puck on a breakaway.

I think the Pens bounce back with their best defensive effort, Vokoun plays well, and Geno in particular has a big game.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Antonio wrote:

May 11th.

Clear case of being a Bi-Polar fan.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

I do believe they can, and will come back if they win game 3 and make the series 2-1.

If they lose game 3, however, it's all but over. They can win four out of five against this team but four in a row is asking too much. They need a standout performance by their star players the rest of the way.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Again, I request we please not make this thread about me. I think it's a bit odd someone's immediate reaction was to dig up past posts by me but whatever. I think we've all said things on here that, looking back, make us look foolish. I think I've made my disdain for this team pretty clear at times over the last few years. I was very down on this bunch when they fumbled through the Islanders series. But they found a way. They dominated Ottawa the way they should have. I expected things to go just a bit differently after two in this round but it should hardly be a surprise that Boston has given the Pens problems.

Maybe I've just gone crazy but I don't think this team is just going to roll over. I think in getting this far, they've shown that they've got a little more to them than the last few playoff teams had. I don't think this is the time to be burying the team. They're obviously in a ton of trouble right now. But all great Pens teams have gotten themselves into these kinds of situations.

I give up when there's zero reason to believe they can come back. The Pens are obviously capable of much better than this. It's one thing if they're bringing their absolute best and still losing. Neither Crosby nor Malkin have even hit the score sheet yet. As bad as things have looked, I don't see Boston doing that much longer. Game three is the pivotal one. Pens lose and I agree, let's look towards next season. It's way premature to be going there.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins