Bylsma can't win with this roster?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bylsma can't win with this roster?

Postby headh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd have fired him during the third period via text. I'm sure Mario loves him and will stick by him but I've grown to hate this "player coach" bs.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Bylsma can't win with this roster?

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 pm

headh wrote:I'd have fired him during the third period via text. I'm sure Mario loves him and will stick by him but I've grown to hate this "player coach" bs.

Def a necessary thread

/s/ General Slap E. Brown of the United States Department of Thread Security
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Bylsma is a rotten turd, who won a cup on the momentum of a good coach who instilled a quality system with discipline, and then when left to his own devices could barely win a playoff series year after year after year. Regular season records are meaningless, because the dynamics just are not the same as they are in the playoffs. Talent alone wins regular season games much, much more easily than a playoff series. He is the perfect example of that.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Antonio wrote:Bylsma is a rotten turd, who won a cup on the momentum of a good coach who instilled a quality system with discipline, and then when left to his own devices could barely win a playoff series year after year after year. Regular season records are meaningless, because the dynamics just are not the same as they are in the playoffs. Talent alone wins regular season games much, much more easily than a playoff series. He is the perfect example of that.

The momentum? We were in 10th place and sinking like a rock. I'd say its more he loosened the reins in a system that had suffocated the talent while retaining some of what his predecessor was doing. You can call for his canning if this ends in a series loss and that's reasonable, but lets not pretend he didn't do a great job in winning the Cup.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:56 pm

I haven't commented on any of the drama, but the Pittsburgh media and fanbase will have his head if this series doesn't go well. Mario and RS won't have a choice
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Reporter: what went wrong Dan?
Dan: (sips water) .... Pauses... Clears throat... Pauses. (screws cap on water)
Dan: "what was the question again?
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm

thepittman wrote:I haven't commented on any of the drama, but the Pittsburgh media and fanbase will have his head if this series doesn't go well. Mario and RS won't have a choice

Not for nothing but is Ray blameless? No draft picks playing? No forwards in the system not even depth, young, fast players. Every draft pick is a PMD which is fine long term but provides us nothing now and it's not like forwards are worthless as prospects. His two big trades this year were because players forced teams to send them here. His energy player signings don't do squat.

HDCB has issues, the players right now have issues but Ray deserves some of the blame too.

That being said we have the firepower to come back and this could all be forgotten.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Db hasn't been stellar at bringing prospects up to speed. So it's hard to tell if its drafting or not.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm out on DB.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nhl94 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 pm

These are professional athletes, if they turn into emotional rugrats due to their immaturity/age...how much can the coach control that on the ice?
nhl94

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm

bhaw wrote:Db hasn't been stellar at bringing prospects up to speed. So it's hard to tell if its drafting or not.

Don't disagree but this roster has had the same holes for a few years. Dmen stink, no energy players (although HDCB might be to blame for that).

1. HDCB is to blame for his system being to easy to digest from good coaches with decent rosters in a series. Plus the utter failure of depth/energyplayers here before/after they are/were here is alarming.

2. GMRS had a roster built for the playoffs in 2008 and 2009 and deviated from it. He has to take some of the blame. How many neutral zone turn over goals or goals off of the forecheck have we seen (game 7 vs Detroit), how many 3rd line energy and dirty goals have we seen (game 6 vs Detroit). I get the cap had something to do with it at first but since then something has been off.

We get zero transition going from turnovers. I give blame to both of them.

3. We still have the fire power to beat the Bruins it over til it's over.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Its plain as day that coaching is the number one problem right now. We are in the midst of the second straight playoff meltdown with the Stanley Cup favs and the fourth straight playoff exit with no Cup. We are witnessing the team make the same boneheaded mistake time and time again. We are witnessing the team play with no composure time and time again. We are witnessing the team get trapped to death and have no answer for it again. A team that plays games like tonight and get punished with an optional practice the next day. And we are witnessing a team with the most talent in the league, the two best players in the world, have another year go by with no Cup. You can't win Cups playing the way Bylsma has this team playing.

This can't continue. The country club is clearly back. Bylsma HAS to go if this team doesn't get to the Finals.
Last edited by farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Too soon.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I wanted to respond to this thread earlier, but I was hired as part of one of the search teams enlisted to locate the whereabouts of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 pm

headh wrote:I'd have fired him during the third period via text. I'm sure Mario loves him and will stick by him but I've grown to hate this "player coach" bs.

See you at Center Ice, except Bylsma
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Everyone is complaining about Iginla right now, but do you expect from him? He's playing out of position. The Pens are using a Hall of Famer out of position because their head coach doesn't want to upset Sidney Crosby. I hope everyone realizes that is why Iginla is playing out of position.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 pm

farnham16 wrote:Everyone is complaining about Iginla right now, but do you expect from him? He's playing out of position. The Pens are using a Hall of Famer out of position because their head coach doesn't want to upset Sidney Crosby. I hope everyone realizes that is why Iginla is playing out of position.

Right. Byslma is willing to jeopardize his job because of Crosby? I'm pretty sure if DB wanted to play Iggy with Sid he would, especially with the way these playoffs have gone at times. He clearly has no interest in it, and it's not because of Sid.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Everyone is complaining about Iginla right now, but do you expect from him? He's playing out of position. The Pens are using a Hall of Famer out of position because their head coach doesn't want to upset Sidney Crosby. I hope everyone realizes that is why Iginla is playing out of position.

Right. Byslma is willing to jeopardize his job because of Crosby? I'm pretty sure if DB wanted to play Iggy with Sid he would, especially with the way these playoffs have gone at times. He clearly has no interest in it, and it's not because of Sid.

What is it then? Give me the answer to what you think it is. Because it absolutely makes no sense to any in hockey right now.

Iginla is a RW. A HOF RW. He's NEVER played left wing before. Iginla and Sid played together before. The Kunitz Malkin Neal line is proven. It was the best in the league last season. If Kunitz and Iginla switch, everyone is playing their natural position.

The only thing it could be to me is because Sid prefers playing with Kunitz and Dupuis. Nothing else makes any sense.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 am

Hope everyone is doing well.....

...I haven't been around much lately...combination of finishing 2 jobs/starting a new job with better hours/getting some things in order/general playoff hockey stress...

I just came to talk a little bit from what I saw tonight. Forget blaming specific players, things of the past...there was a good what? 6 days before this series? I'm just sitting here, watched that game...just no sense of structure, no idea what to do. Really just a huge embarrassment in my opinion. How can you sit there as a coach with the talent on this team and not think you have nothing to do with this failure.

I don't have a problem losing to the Bruins in a series, they have a lot of talent, strong team/core. But the way this team loses in the playoffs its just so...pathetic is the only thing that I can think of. Blame the players, sure, not going to disagree with what people are saying about anything. However, in every sport...the coach goes first.

Dan Bylsma walked into a great situation. I thank him for the 2009 cup. Just a complete lack of everything/anything you need from a coach. I'll be so shocked if he's back next year. I just don't know how Shero and Lemieux sit up there, watch Boston with tape-to-tape passes, good defensive zone coverage, playing as a "5-man-unit", great goaltender/crease support...and then just look at the Penguins. This team, just goes out and skates around. For an EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS game, that was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I can handle losing straight up...but the Philly series, Montreal series with lack of defense, I don't understand how Bylsma can even stand around thinking he isn't responsible for this junk.

There's a lot of blame that needs to go around to the players. However you can link most of their bad play back to coaching and the lack of coaching/a proper system. I watched a lot of Chicago/Detroit, and the puck possession is just insane. They always know what to do with the puck We don't. Stretch n Dump. 10 shots total in 2 periods? With these 3 lines? Once Beau got some playing time, he should have been a permanent player. Despres should have started/finished the year. He needs "rookie" time to develop. But its okay...more Tanner Glass and Engelland out there. Just bad decisions Bylsma.

Poor Marc-Andre. 10 years with the organization. My favorite penguin for a long time. Great guy. Maybe something with the first child has messed him up even more. Just completely shocked with his collapse. I honestly feel really terrible for him. Penguins will have to address it in the off season. Mentally unstable.

...///....

It's been a great year, a lot of fun. I look forward to running the Your the GM thread. Please don't kid yourselves. You don't look that bad in a playoff game, go down 0-2, at home, and even come close to winning. It was a great season. We have a great team going forward. Some good young talent next year. I'm excited for a new coach to come in here and implement some new system changes.

Thanks Dan for 2009, I think with more experience you can be better. Maybe even an Olympic assistant coach in Sochi.

I'm out see you guys in 2 weeks or so.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 am

Antonio wrote:Bylsma is a rotten turd, who won a cup on the momentum of a good coach who instilled a quality system with discipline, and then when left to his own devices could barely win a playoff series year after year after year. Regular season records are meaningless, because the dynamics just are not the same as they are in the playoffs. Talent alone wins regular season games much, much more easily than a playoff series. He is the perfect example of that.

Not sure if serious? Or maybe you started watching in late February, '09, because the team that raised the Cup had, before that point, utterly quit on Therrien and was looking like actual crap on the ice.

I'm not defending Bylsma here, but there wasn't any momentum built from the 4.5 months of Therrien's tenure that year.

NHL coaches seem to wear out their welcome. Maybe it has something to do with both the length of the season and the physical grind, which I think is unique in professional sports. Regardless, long serving coaches in the NHL are a rarity.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
thepittman wrote:I haven't commented on any of the drama, but the Pittsburgh media and fanbase will have his head if this series doesn't go well. Mario and RS won't have a choice

Not for nothing but is Ray blameless? No draft picks playing? No forwards in the system not even depth, young, fast players. Every draft pick is a PMD which is fine long term but provides us nothing now and it's not like forwards are worthless as prospects. His two big trades this year were because players forced teams to send them here. His energy player signings don't do squat.

HDCB has issues, the players right now have issues but Ray deserves some of the blame too.

That being said we have the firepower to come back and this could all be forgotten.

No. It's that simple. The Penguins have used many of their young players in trades to acquire veterans with strong reputations and tons of skill. It's up to the coach to fit these players into his system and the players to play to their potential. Neither is happening at the moment.

If Shero wasn't proactive in moving his draft picks/prospects for win-now players (and legitimately good players) and the Penguins were without their own draftees, I'd be much more concerned. There's no rule that says you have to fill your roster with players you drafted, and it can be argued that a team that loads up on internal players is a team that won't be as successful/talented.

Shero has put together a roster with speed, skill, grit, leadership, quality defense, strong goaltending, and depth at all positions. He's done his job. It's now time for the coaches and players to do theirs.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 am

I want DB gone. He could be a very successful coach but his inability to control the superstars this team is laden with is inexcusable. As mentioned above the lack of accountability has led to some players failing to live up to their potential (71) and others clearly regressing (58, 29). Much like the team itself some players are surviving on pure talent but repeatedly make the same stupid mistakes, something the coach should take responsibility for by holding them as accountable as any other player, after all these really are rookie mistakes!

Another factor I believe has led us to this point is HCDB's excruciatingly poor mismanagement of players. He repeatedly does the opposite of what logic dictates, then persists despite clear evidence of failure (I've ranted at length in other posts so will focus on one specific). I've been saying it since the deadline but WTF is the point in getting a hammer and trying to use it as a screwdriver?! Iginla has been completely wasted in what may be the only opportunity we as fans have to see him in a Pens jersey and for that alone I cannot forgive Bylsma.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 am

Luckybreak wrote:I want DB gone. He could be a very successful coach but his inability to control the superstars this team is laden with is inexcusable. As mentioned above the lack of accountability has led to some players failing to live up to their potential (71) and others clearly regressing (58, 29). Much like the team itself some players are surviving on pure talent but repeatedly make the same stupid mistakes, something the coach should take responsibility for by holding them as accountable as any other player, after all these really are rookie mistakes!

Another factor I believe has led us to this point is HCDB's excruciatingly poor mismanagement of players. He repeatedly does the opposite of what logic dictates, then persists despite clear evidence of failure (I've ranted at length in other posts so will focus on one specific). I've been saying it since the deadline but WTF is the point in getting a hammer and trying to use it as a screwdriver?! Iginla has been completely wasted in what may be the only opportunity we as fans have to see him in a Pens jersey and for that alone I cannot forgive Bylsma.

While there are greater failures of this postseason run, Fleury, maybe Letang's defensive liabilities, the Iggy on LW will be easy to look back on and say that was a bad decision, clearly just to please Crosby, nonetheless.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 am

In a regular season you play your system since no one team has no more than a day or 2 to prepare for you. In a 7 game series other coaches only prepare for you and your system. Dan B hasn't learned this yet.

In 09 Dan used Therians system but just had the guys playing harder. Now he uses his own system and with as much talent we have it works. But in a 7 game series other coaches adjust and Dan keeps playing the same.

FIRE DAN B. put Tony Granto in charge.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:36 am

As seemingly dumbass as playing Iginla at LW is, that's not the reason they're getting embarrassed.
It takes a total team and coaching effort to fail this badly (so far).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins