'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Kharlamov on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 am

Or should I title this....

"When will it be over for you?"
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 am

Great time of the year to play your worst hockey of the season. :(
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 am

Like I said last night, I'm glad I can detach myself from this mess. Before I'd still be angry and be miserable today. I'm not though. Game is over, move on to Wednesday hope they play better and make it a series. If not... oh well.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

skullman80 wrote:Like I said last night, I'm glad I can detach myself from this mess. Before I'd still be angry and be miserable today. I'm not though. Game is over, move on to Wednesday hope they play better and make it a series. If not... oh well.

I wish I could disengage so easily. I think we are unlikely to see such a talent laden team for some time and I feel very frustrated knowing they are not living up to their potential - both individually and as a team. This could have been a great series and I hold out some hope that the Pens can bounce back, but the reality is I will likely be shaving my playoff beard within a week :(

On a side note I think staying up till 4am to watch the team self destruct makes it very hard to be positive!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

Pens lose 6-1

- Two early goals (and 4 in first) + playoff style non calls, made this a loong painful loss
- First goal was Crosby (bad decision to pinch) + Vokoun (bad angle) + *bad ice*
- Sutter showed up, scored a beauty, salvaging that game felt possible...
- ... for all of 12 seconds! MAF not stopping 4th goal late first period was the dagger (MAF return factor was not a factor)
- I loathe the Boston Bruins right now. In a 6-1 laugher, where was the "grit", "sandpaper", face re-arranger that could only make Marchand handsomer?
- Can't take much from a game where your down early by a lot. Bruins kept everyone back, clogged & held up for 40 minutes.
- Sid shutout for 2nd game in a row, gaffe's leading to goals. I think he removed the BANE mask too early (messed up his pysche?)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am

The question is, when will Crosby start being held accountable? Fans (myself included) have been harsh on Geno the past several years, but Sid has just a couple of points in his last 5 playoff games and has been on the ice for a ton of opposing players' goals.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am

Better play will begin with not giving Boston acres of free ice to roam.
The pens died last night; the deer in the headlight was squashed.
Today, a good day to start new. Lose the glamour, adopt the snarl. Skate up the ice, not side to side.

The pens have the best road record; it wasn't given to them, they earned those games.

The old 29-er was in rare form last night. He said that Flower faced the media. He said he heard the media ask some stupid, awful, and embarrassing questions of Fleury...

Pens, get me to game 5
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 am

Who cares about Crosby's points, he has been a detriment in this series on the ice.

Fleury came back in, gave up his classic backbreaking goal, and I really never want to see him play another Pens game again. Goalie change sparks the team and 30 seconds later Fleury crushes the team. I don't know if I will even be able to make myself watch the game if he starts on Wednesday.

Impossible to find a bright spot in last night, no one looked good.

Bylsma is not a good coach. At all. Someone needs to get the players' heads out of their asses.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:08 am

- Bruins staff definitely watched the Isles/Pens series.
- When things go wrong, they go wrong. I just hope when they go right, they go way right.
- Holding out hope that they can win the next 2. Wouldn't that be wild?
- Morrow and Iginla certainly don't look like 2 players playing for a cup.
- Come back with MAF in GM#3, preserve any chance at rebuilding his confidence for next year.
- What a boner buster this series has been.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 am

- Pens did keep hitting, including some some really bone crushing hits that hopefully pay dividends if they can extend the series
- don't take too much from this game. Getting down by 3 is death to anyone playing Bruins. Can't score let alone shoot when you have to get through 5 Bruins
- Lucky first game win, and a gift wrapped game 2 win could setup Boston for overconfidence (yes a stretch, but it could)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

I'll be honest, not having cable or Internet is making it easier to disengage from this mess. I was listening to the radio feed for the first 1.5 periods, but it's hard to get really angry when you can't actually see their faces.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 am

Letang's Agent:"Letang demands to make 7+ million a year for 6+ years."

Shero:"So Letang really is mental then? Let's look at the last 2-3 years in the playoffs."

Letang's Agent:"Letang feels what he does in the regular season is more important, please take this request seriously."

Shero:"I'm going to have to put you on hold, I'm trying to trade Letang's rights to Montreal."
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Who cares about Crosby's points, he has been a detriment in this series on the ice.

Fleury came back in, gave up his classic backbreaking goal, and I really never want to see him play another Pens game again. Goalie change sparks the team and 30 seconds later Fleury crushes the team. I don't know if I will even be able to make myself watch the game if he starts on Wednesday.

Bylsma is not a good coach. At all. Someone needs to get the players' heads out of their asses.

The Pens picked quite possibly the worst time to tune their coach out.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Letang's Agent:"Letang demands to make 7+ million a year for 6+ years."

Shero:"So Letang really is mental then? Let's look at the last 2-3 years in the playoffs."

Letang's Agent:"Letang feels what he does in the regular season is more important, please take this request seriously."

Shero:"Good point. He fits in well with the system run by the coach that I continue to employ. You have yourself a deal."

fixed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 am

Adjustments have to be made.
I would add Beau. I was surprised TK was a scratch. Tanner Glass should play.
If Chris Kunitz cannot lift the puck or shoot?

60% of last night was on the penguins. They bumbled around the ice like I've never seen. It got to be almost comical. I couldn't believe what I saw from the entire line up.

Are they fed up with the fragile rep; will they realize they have to meet boston style of play, be better ?

I'd love to be at game 3.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am

- Suck.
- Suck.
- More suck.
- Outscored 9-1 so far.
- Even more suck.
- The ice crew needs fired asap.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Letang's Agent:"Letang demands to make 7+ million a year for 6+ years."

Shero:"Good point. He fits in well with the system run by the coach that I continue to employ. You have yourself a deal."

fixed.

I still think it's the same frustrating result, expect now he's tied to the team for even more money(and that means Bylsma is still the coach).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Who cares about Crosby's points, he has been a detriment in this series on the ice.

The Pens picked quite possibly the worst time to tune their coach out.

I don't think the Pens are tuning out Bylsma at all.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 am

I don't either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am

Bylsma has a very punchable face.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 am

What are they doing if they're not tuning him out. They can't be that invested into what he says that they continually and routinely do stupid things.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 am

Malkamaniac wrote:What are they doing if they're not tuning him out. They can't be that invested into what he says that they continually and routinely do stupid things.

I think the Pens are going out there and doing what Bylsma wants, like putting more emphasis into the offensive end than the defensive end. I think they are still looking for the stretch pass that Bylsma loves all the time also. They are just playing like garbage right now.

Pens have the talent to come back but it will take a change in their approach to the game. The latter part is on Bylsma, and does anyone have any confidence he'll change his approach?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 am

I wanted DB fired 5 months ago.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am

Here's my true beef with last night's game. It's zero zero. Why in the bdfshdfg would Letang pinch and go deep on the puck. Hind-sight says Crosby played the worst game of his entire life, but I cannot put fault on Crosby for that first goal. Not the majority of it anyway. Mr. Norris should have never put the BEST forward in that position. Are you serious Letang? Really? The goal after their PP expired. Mr. Norris could have easily, -- 99 out of 100 players bank it off the board and get it out-- gotten it out of the zone, but since Letang is 1/100 he puts in up the middle of the ice. I mean come the hell on. We're all sitting here banging our heads "it's his fault, it's this, it's that" imo it's Letang. The entire post season has always been Letang. His mistakes are absolutely costly and the risk really is not worth the reward. He is a defensive liability to this team and then the team has to count on him to bail them back out? That seems like a wash doesn't it? I do not resign the guy with the "potential" talent we have down below. I'm sorry, I just don't. Down 2-0 in the game because of Letang. In a game your coach said first goal wins. Yup, that has Norris written all over it. Maybe it does... Norris means how many points can I score anyway.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 am

I fault Crosby for that goal. Letang pinch was fine. Crosby was there to cover up for him and did. Crosby screwed up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins