'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:14-71-18
24-16-9
19-39-48
10-46-17

Sure, because benching 87 is going to happen in this universe. Not even mildly ironic or amusing.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm

brwi wrote:
24-16-9
19-39-48
10-46-17

Sure, because benching 87 is going to happen in this universe.

I don't think its very likely that Crosby would ever be benched. That was a joke, I would never have expected someone to actually agree with me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
brwi wrote:
24-16-9
19-39-48
10-46-17

Sure, because benching 87 is going to happen in this universe.

I don't think its very likely that Crosby would ever be benched. That was a joke, I would never have expected someone to actually agree with me.

FAIL :lol:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 pm

bh wrote:Still Shocked over last night.
Tinkering with the lineup might help a little, but really they need to simplify their game.
Just take less risks. Take care of the puck and wait for the next battle.
Everyone was so out of sync. Frazzled.
That goal by Suter was nice. You could see the determination in his stride when he got the puck. Great shot too. Too bad it was a wasted effort.

Suter is still playing?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Pitts wrote:
Tinkering with the lineup might help a little, but really they need to simplify their game.
That goal by Suter was nice. You could see the determination in his stride when he got the puck. Great shot too. Too bad it was a wasted effort.

Suter is still playing?

Shero pulled another crazy trade, getting Ryan Suter after the Wild were eliminated...duh!
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Suter is still playing?

Shero pulled another crazy trade, getting Ryan Suter after the Wild were eliminated...duh!

Gary Suter :pop:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Pitts wrote:

Suter is still playing?

You know what I ment :wink:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Is it true that Letang is -6 in the Bruins series already?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Pitts wrote:

Suter is still playing?

Actually Sutter is still playing, and thank goodness, if he wasn't we would have been shut out twice in a row.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Crosby Malkin Neal Iginla Dupuis Kunitz have 0 points so far.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:36 pm

I hate this article.. because it's true.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4131159-74/game-fleury-vokoun

Vokoun wasn't impressed with his team's performance.

“We just didn't play a good game,” he said. “We just deviated from our game plan. They are too good of a team to try to outscore. They're not going to let you do that. Every time we beat them this year, it was a tight-checking game. We were going to use a 1-0 or 2-1 mentality. We didn't do a very good job of staying focused tonight.”

Vokoun believes too many Penguins are attempting to win the game on their own. Some teamwork, he believes, could go a long way as opposed to individualism.

“We've got to change our mindset,” he said. “Play differently. We have to stay focused on our game plan. That means you play for 60 minutes. Unfortunately, we gave up the first goal in both games. At that point, everyone tries to do it on their own. That just doesn't work.”
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I hate this article.. because it's true.

“We just didn't play a good game,” he said. “We just deviated from our game plan. They are too good of a team to try to outscore. They're not going to let you do that. Every time we beat them this year, it was a tight-checking game. We were going to use a 1-0 or 2-1 mentality. We didn't do a very good job of staying focused tonight.”

Vokoun believes too many Penguins are attempting to win the game on their own. Some teamwork, he believes, could go a long way as opposed to individualism.

“We've got to change our mindset,” he said. “Play differently. We have to stay focused on our game plan. That means you play for 60 minutes. Unfortunately, we gave up the first goal in both games. At that point, everyone tries to do it on their own. That just doesn't work.”

Vokoun has been very good this season at telling it like it is. No BS cookie cutter quotes, just the cold, hard, unfortunate facts.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:10 pm

bh wrote:You know what I ment :wink:

But, I was just following board protocol with the blatant "call you out coz OMGeeeZ, look what you did" post.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm

It will be incredibly interesting to see what the lineup and line changes will be for Game 3. If it doesn't involve Iginla playing RW then Bylsma truly is brain dead.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:00 pm

If this trend continues, as it probably will, It appears to me that having a team with four really good\balanced lines that the coach can roll the whole game, is better than having a team with two really good players but not much supporting cast. When the superstars don't or can't perform, there is not much left. Wonder if Boston will charge us for this clinic?
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:04 pm

offsides wrote:If this trend continues, as it probably will, It appears to me that having a team with four really good\balanced lines that the coach can roll the whole game, is better than having a team with two really good players but not much supporting cast. When the superstars don't or can't perform, there is not much left. Wonder if Boston will charge us for this clinic?

I think the Pens bottom 2 lines are pretty solid actually. The only two guys (who have been playing most lately) on the forward lineup that haven't scored 20 goals in a season before are Adams and Cooke. And Cooke got to 19 before. That is insane depth.

Depth isn't the issue IMO.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 pm

farnham16 wrote:
offsides wrote:If this trend continues, as it probably will, It appears to me that having a team with four really good\balanced lines that the coach can roll the whole game, is better than having a team with two really good players but not much supporting cast. When the superstars don't or can't perform, there is not much left. Wonder if Boston will charge us for this clinic?

I think the Pens bottom 2 lines are pretty solid actually. The only two guys (who have been playing most lately) on the forward lineup that haven't scored 20 goals in a season before are Adams and Cooke. And Cooke got to 19 before. That is insane depth.

IMO, we have good depth not insane depth. If Sid and or Geno get injured or shutdown, we don't have much to fall back on. With Sid and Geno scoreless so far, we have 1 goal. Not much scoring depth there.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:16 pm

offsides wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

IMO, we have good depth not insane depth. If Sid and or Geno get injured or shutdown, we don't have much to fall back on. With Sid and Geno scoreless so far, we have 1 goal. Not much scoring depth there.

Yes, but could probably say the same thing about Bergeron and Kreici.

The whole team is playing terrible right now. IMO, its the system. But your best players have to produce, and it hasn't happened at all yet.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 pm

farnham16 wrote:
offsides wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Yes, but could probably say the same thing about Bergeron and Kreici.

The whole team is playing terrible right now. IMO, its the system. But your best players have to produce, and it hasn't happened at all yet.

Well, we definitely agree on that so-called "system" thing. :fist:
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I hate this article.. because it's true.

Hey TV, you mind coaching the rest of the series instead of playing? You seem to understand what DB and the rest of the team didn't grasp at all in Game 2.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimreb on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 pm

The most amazing thing about today is how all my Flyer Fan Friends have emerged from their holes they've been living in.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcmforless on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Watching LA VS CHI right now reminds me how much Scuderi is missed here....
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 pm

jimreb wrote:The most amazing thing about today is how all my Flyer Fan Friends have emerged from their holes they've been living in.

Tell me about it. Insufferable. Amazing that Boston and Philly fans dislike each other so much, because I think they're made for each other.

If that clownshoe team could come back from a 3-0 deficit in 2010, then the Pens can come back now.

I'm also focusing on what a disaster CHI looked like just two weeks ago down 3 games to 1. CHI laid two eggs at home, Toews was petulant, Babcock was a genius, Howard was cocky, Quenneville beleaguered, DET had The Ultimate Goliath-Beating System, CHI had no answers. Now they're on top of the world again. Shamelessly stealing and reappropriating an old Red Sox motto, I ask WHY NOT US?!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimreb on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
jimreb wrote:The most amazing thing about today is how all my Flyer Fan Friends have emerged from their holes they've been living in.

Tell me about it. Insufferable. Amazing that Boston and Philly fans dislike each other so much, because I think they're made for each other.

If that clownshoe team could come back from a 3-0 deficit in 2010, then the Pens can come back now.

I'm also focusing on what a disaster CHI looked like just two weeks ago down 3 games to 1. CHI laid two eggs at home, Toews was petulant, Babcock was a genius, Howard was cocky, Quenneville beleaguered, DET had The Ultimate Goliath-Beating System, CHI had no answers. Now they're on top of the world again. Shamelessly stealing and reappropriating an old Red Sox motto, I ask WHY NOT US?!

If the Pens come back and somehow win this series, it will make it that much sweeter,
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Just ask them who won the Flyers game last night.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins