'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:44 am

SoupOrSam wrote:Here's my true beef with last night's game. It's zero zero. Why in the bdfshdfg would Letang pinch and go deep on the puck. Hind-sight says Crosby played the worst game of his entire life, but I cannot put fault on Crosby for that first goal. Not the majority of it anyway. Mr. Norris should have never put the BEST forward in that position. Are you serious Letang? Really? The goal after their PP expired. Mr. Norris could have easily, -- 99 out of 100 players bank it off the board and get it out-- gotten it out of the zone, but since Letang is 1/100 he puts in up the middle of the ice. I mean come the hell on. We're all sitting here banging our heads "it's his fault, it's this, it's that" imo it's Letang. The entire post season has always been Letang. His mistakes are absolutely costly and the risk really is not worth the reward. He is a defensive liability to this team and then the team has to count on him to bail them back out? That seems like a wash doesn't it? I do not resign the guy with the "potential" talent we have down below. I'm sorry, I just don't. Down 2-0 in the game because of Letang. In a game your coach said first goal wins. Yup, that has Norris written all over it. Maybe it does... Norris means how many points can I score anyway.

Letang does that every single shift. Even on PK's sometimes. He has the most free reign I have ever seen for a dman to do whatever the hell he wants. That's all on Bylsma.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:44 am

-we came out strong, despite sid's turnover. lots of hitting. lots of speed. it was pretty even in the first, as far as controlling the play. the scoreboard said different, of course.
-sid isn't infallible. 2009 finals, 2010 MTL, 2012 Flyers, 2013 Bruins. what's that, like 4 out of his last 7 series that have been poor showings?
-iginla is garbage right now. it's not his position either. he looks like 2010 guerin at his worst.
-the lineup changes were stupid. really, really stupid. i'm not sure why engelland was even on the radar, and what the hell was the point of dressing vitale and leaving in jokinen? the 4th line was 3 guys who all play totally different brands of hockey (that is, if you count what adams does at ES as "hockey", which is debatable)
-i've said all year that sutter has a great shot - and he showed it once again. it's a shame he's typically just a 3rd defenseman
-if he commands a big raise, letang isn't worth having on the team if this is what he does in the playoffs - which looks more and more certain
-fleury is awful. vokoun needs to start. i see boston scoring on their first shot in game 3 with 29 in net.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 am

penny lane wrote:Adjustments have to be made.
I would add Beau. I was surprised TK was a scratch. Tanner Glass should play.
If Chris Kunitz cannot lift the puck or shoot?

60% of last night was on the penguins. They bumbled around the ice like I've never seen. It got to be almost comical. I couldn't believe what I saw from the entire line up.

Are they fed up with the fragile rep; will they realize they have to meet boston style of play, be better ?

I'd love to be at game 3.

Agree, Kuny doesn't seem to have it (shooting and hitting), likely injured (although is skating is good).
Agree, a little "Sunshine" would go a long way as scoring is as much an issue as D. Fresh young legs for the win.
Kudos to the Bruins for playing amazing shutdown hockey vs. bumbling penguins
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 am

It def can be argued both ways. The fault I place on Crosby is moreso the fact that his "visionary play" couldn't see the possibility of a bad play occurring and didn't really put himself in a good position should he miss and get flat-footed.. The Ferrari needs a tune-up.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 am

penny lane wrote:Tanner Glass should play.

it's pretty simple: 27-46-48

when was that line not effective? adams is an abomination as even strength, but the other 2 guys cover for him because of the ice they cover. no need to bring in tanner glass - particularly when we can't buy a goal
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 am

Engo being put in there was mind numbing to me. They didn't near more hits, and I don't consider him to be that stay at home guy anyways.

Despres not getting a chance is stupid.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 am

Fortunately, I didn't catch the first two periods of the game. But I did see the highlights and was getting text updates from a friend. He summed it up in the first period with one word: ugly.

And it didn't get any prettier. By the time I got home to watch the 3rd, the Pens were in their typical "I don't give a **** mode" formation. Late to the puck, late to the man, late to the blue line, muffed pass, you know the drill.

What to do now? (That is the multi-million dollar question)

I vote for drastic measures.
1) It's time to put Granato in charge (fire Bylsma).
2) Iginla sits. Kennedy plays. Vitale plays.
3) Crosby is used sparingly. Hopefully he starts playing hockey again.
4) Letang plays but if his hamster brain dies again, he sits until we trade him.
5) Clog the middle.
6) Keep shooting (high) on Rask.
7) Stay patient and let the Bruins try to generate offense, then capitalize on THEIR mistakes.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:52 am

Pens win: talent

Pens lose: coaching

*shrug*
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

Pens win against vastly inferior team: Talent
Pens lose to evenly matched team: Coaching

Welcome to Washington Capitals hockey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am

Gaucho wrote:Pens win: talent

Pens lose: coaching

*shrug*

That's because their talent is indisputable
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am

MAF hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahagahgahahgahahahhducivusiwhgridiahhhahahdujahshdivogjahhahahahahahwhygod

Also Iginla is not good, like wow not good.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am

I'm glad that the Bruins scored that late goal to make it 6-1 instead of 5-1. there's something about 6 that screams "ROUT" more than 5 goals does. hopefully this was sufficiently embarrassing for them to wake up and be the team that they've been all season.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am

i wouldn't really fault bylsma at this point. there are guys who are just fundamentally broken on this team, and he can't change that. i think his personnel decisions are suspect at best, but some of these guys are un-coachable.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:56 am

7) Stay patient and let the Bruins try to generate offense, then capitalize on THEIR mistakes.

This is how we swept them in the regular season. This is my problem with the Letang pinch when it's zero-zero.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

Misread the team tweet this morning

#Pens Coach Dan Bylsma mum on who his starting goalie in Game 3 will be - 9 hours ago

I read it that HCDB's Mom was going to be the starter for game 3 ;)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

9-87-14
19-71-18
10-36-12
24-16-46

Can't hurt.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

Penspal wrote:
penny lane wrote:Adjustments have to be made.
I would add Beau. I was surprised TK was a scratch. Tanner Glass should play.
If Chris Kunitz cannot lift the puck or shoot?

60% of last night was on the penguins. They bumbled around the ice like I've never seen. It got to be almost comical. I couldn't believe what I saw from the entire line up.

Are they fed up with the fragile rep; will they realize they have to meet boston style of play, be better ?

I'd love to be at game 3.

Agree, Kuny doesn't seem to have it (shooting and hitting), likely injured (although is skating is good).
Agree, a little "Sunshine" would go a long way as scoring is as much an issue as D. Fresh young legs for the win.
Kudos to the Bruins for playing amazing shutdown hockey vs. bumbling penguins

Bruins earned the 1st win; last night, the pens earned the loss. We'll see what game 3 brings to
penguin fans. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:58 am

About the ONLY thing giving me a glimmer of hope is that the Pens went down 0-2 Vs the Caps back in 2009. They won the next 2. Granted, they lost the first 2 on the road.

Sure, it won't be easy but if any team can win 2 on the road it is this team. Then they have a best of 3 series with home ice.

Grasping straws here, I just really don't want to delve into the stupor of negativity.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 am

Hawkeynut wrote:- Come back with MAF in GM#3, preserve any chance at rebuilding his confidence for next year.

Come back with MAF in game 3 because if you go with Vokoun and lose again, then you're basically forced to go with MAF in game 4.

However, it's not going to matter who's in net if the team in front of them doesn't show up.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am

Penspal wrote:Misread the team tweet this morning

#Pens Coach Dan Bylsma mum on who his starting goalie in Game 3 will be - 9 hours ago

I read it that HCDB's Mom was going to be the starter for game 3 ;)

If they want to hook me up with some goalie equipment, I'll meet the team in Boston. Chara has to promise no slappers, though.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby burghsportsguys on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:04 am

DelPen wrote:9-87-14
19-71-18
10-36-12
24-16-46

Can't hurt.

Jokinen has been painful in the playoffs. He has to sit. Vitale and Kennedy play. How in the hell does Kennedy become the odd man out last night? Adams played a solid game last night, too, but I could see sitting him for Bennett.

And put Despres in there.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 am

farnham16 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Who cares about Crosby's points, he has been a detriment in this series on the ice.

Fleury came back in, gave up his classic backbreaking goal, and I really never want to see him play another Pens game again. Goalie change sparks the team and 30 seconds later Fleury crushes the team. I don't know if I will even be able to make myself watch the game if he starts on Wednesday.

Impossible to find a bright spot in last night, no one looked good.

Bylsma is not a good coach. At all. Someone needs to get the players' heads out of their asses.

The Pens picked quite possibly the worst time to tune their coach out.

I don't think the Pens are tuning out Bylsma at all.

Nor do I. They're playing his system perfectly. Just look at all those pretty stretch passes that get tipped into the Bruins zone, only to be retrieved by the Bruins defenders and moved right back down ice.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcmforless on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 am

Wow that was ugly. There really isn't a whole lot more to say about that game, but I'm sure there will be here and I bet it goes at least 12 pages before the next game.

Honestly though, where do you even start with that mess? A big shakeup in the lineup seems to be needed and Crosby really needs to show up, his play has been really bad. I though Boston may be a problem and make this a tough series, but I NEVER expected them to be outscoring the PENS 9 to 1 in TWO GAMES!
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 am

Bruins are better right now period. In every aspect of the game.

Cooke is the only one showing up every shift. He needs resigned. Kunitz and Duper have been terrible. Crosby has been the worst.

It has got to get better.....it can't get worse
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 am

farnham16 wrote:Letang does that every single shift. Even on PK's sometimes. He has the most free reign I have ever seen for a dman to do whatever the hell he wants. That's all on Bylsma.

Exactly. I think just about every issue that has come up in this series can be traced back to insisting on playing a certain way, this full throttle offensive style. "Our game" as it's known. When you are constantly every shift trying to go from defense to offense in 3 seconds or less and trying to push forward all the time, that's what leads directly to the sloppyness, the breakdowns, and the turnovers.

There's a reason why we keep seeing this same movie time and again. Nobody can be consistently successful against good opposition trying to play this way. Ultimately great defense will beat great offense. If they lose this series, with this roster, it should be the final nail in the coffin of the idea that you can win the Cup playing this style.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins