'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 am

SoupOrSam wrote:Here's my true beef with last night's game. It's zero zero. Why in the bdfshdfg would Letang pinch and go deep on the puck. Hind-sight says Crosby played the worst game of his entire life, but I cannot put fault on Crosby for that first goal. Not the majority of it anyway. Mr. Norris should have never put the BEST forward in that position. Are you serious Letang? Really? The goal after their PP expired. Mr. Norris could have easily, -- 99 out of 100 players bank it off the board and get it out-- gotten it out of the zone, but since Letang is 1/100 he puts in up the middle of the ice. I mean come the hell on. We're all sitting here banging our heads "it's his fault, it's this, it's that" imo it's Letang. The entire post season has always been Letang. His mistakes are absolutely costly and the risk really is not worth the reward. He is a defensive liability to this team and then the team has to count on him to bail them back out? That seems like a wash doesn't it? I do not resign the guy with the "potential" talent we have down below. I'm sorry, I just don't. Down 2-0 in the game because of Letang. In a game your coach said first goal wins. Yup, that has Norris written all over it. Maybe it does... Norris means how many points can I score anyway.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. In playoff hockey the defenseman -- any of them -- should NEVER be pinching into the offense unless it's late in the game and you are trying to come back. Letang is simply another forward. If he wants to play that way, move him to Malkin's wing and let him play offense. Put another guy on the back end who will play defense.

I'm am certainly coming around to the potential of a draft day deal to move him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 am

Pitts wrote:
Penspal wrote:
penny lane wrote:Adjustments have to be made.
I would add Beau. I was surprised TK was a scratch. Tanner Glass should play.
If Chris Kunitz cannot lift the puck or shoot?

60% of last night was on the penguins. They bumbled around the ice like I've never seen. It got to be almost comical. I couldn't believe what I saw from the entire line up.

Are they fed up with the fragile rep; will they realize they have to meet boston style of play, be better ?

I'd love to be at game 3.

Agree, Kuny doesn't seem to have it (shooting and hitting), likely injured (although is skating is good).
Agree, a little "Sunshine" would go a long way as scoring is as much an issue as D. Fresh young legs for the win.
Kudos to the Bruins for playing amazing shutdown hockey vs. bumbling penguins

Sit Kunitz. He's obviously injured more than he or the Pens are letting on.

Move Iginla to line 1 with Crosby and Dupuis, add Bennett with Malkin and Neal.

3rd line : Morrow/Sutter/Cooke

4th: Vitale/Adams/Kennedy

Back to basics, hunker down and win one to turn this train around.

Hopefully, come back to Pittsburgh even.

Word is Mario was hanging around the locker room after the game looking none too happy. Hopefully, after the media left, he had some stern words for a few players last night.

Can Mario suit up??? Sid......was horrible. Was he drunk? Worst game I ever saw him play. Kunitz is hurt and needs sat. MAF is toast. Finished. Kaput. One poster put it right, it is what I texted to a buddy that it was "comical", guys running into each other, chasing Bruins everywhere, just losing every battle.

Someone needs to step up in that locker room and even go into the coaching staff and tell Bylsma "HEY DAN, WE GOT TO CHANGE THINGS UP!"

Maybe come out in a 1-2-2 trap next game and give them a taste of their own medicine.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 am

penguinsbabex25 wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:About the ONLY thing giving me a glimmer of hope is that the Pens went down 0-2 Vs the Caps back in 2009. They won the next 2. Granted, they lost the first 2 on the road.

Sure, it won't be easy but if any team can win 2 on the road it is this team. Then they have a best of 3 series with home ice.

Grasping straws here, I just really don't want to delve into the stupor of negativity.

Same thing against the Bruins in either '91 or '92 I believe. Lost the first 2 at Boston and then won the next 4. It's possible. We'll see.

Nothing new here, I'm pretty much sick of Bylsma at this point. I'm not really one to jump on a coach's back all that quickly, and I realize that to hope for multiple cups in a few years may be asking for a lot, but to not come even close to a cup these past 4 years is mind-boggling with the talent that we have on the ice. I mean when you look at the PP and see Malkin, Crosby, Neal, on the ice together you know there's something wrong when you're losing 6-1 to the Bruins at home.

Again, already been said, but Crosby, what are you doing? The golden boy of the team who get's everything he wants is doing more to hurt us than he is to help us. More trouble than he's worth last night.

Except I don't see 9 future HOF's on this roster................
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bigkam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 am

1. We were running around most of the game without hardly any semblance of a system. Was a carbon copy of several games in the Philly series last year. At some point, the coaches need to be held accountable.

2. Our stars have been our duds. Crosby and Letang have been gaffe-tastic. Malkin is putting forth the effort, but nothing to show for it--and his defensive lapses have cost us several goals. Dupuis and Kunitz have almost completely disappeared after great regular seasons. In Dupuis' case, at least he showed for a series-plus before disappearing--Kunitz has been a non-factor since the playoffs started.

3. Our goaltending is just not good enough. Vokoun hasn't been terrible, but he's not playing anywhere close to where Rask is right now. Fleury is a waste of a lot of money.

We'll see what this team is made of on Wednesday. I don't have a lot of hope because a lot of the problems I am seeing cannot be fixed in two days--but they damn well should have been fixed by this playoffs.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am

After four weeks on the bench, no way Fleury was going to be sharp. DB should have put him in to mop up at the end of game one, just to get some of the rust off.

That said, it doesn't matter who is in net. The Pens are getting so outplayed and outcoached at this point, that whatever goalie is in net is a sitting duck.

Vokoun was right when he said the Pens are too worried about scoring goals and not enough about playing defense. He put the blame for the goals on the team in front of him. It may not sit well with the players or coaches, but tough. The truth hurts.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am

tfrizz wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:- Come back with MAF in GM#3, preserve any chance at rebuilding his confidence for next year.

Come back with MAF in game 3 because if you go with Vokoun and lose again, then you're basically forced to go with MAF in game 4.

However, it's not going to matter who's in net if the team in front of them doesn't show up.

wtf kind of logic is this? Play Fleury now because you don't have confidence in him to play him in Game 4 if we lose?!

"He was still off his angle but..." The end. He has to stop that. Period. No excuses anymore for this guy.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am

That's as clean a view as you'll get on a shot from the point, that's a shot that an average NHL goaltender stops.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am

THey peaked too early.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The crowd grows restless with chants of "FLEURY, FLEURY, FLEURY, FLEURY", The Chosen One runs to the locker room to grab his helmet, it's go time. Sutter scores. Marchand shoots and a nuclear bomb levels the crowd. That was a made for TV moment right there.

As soon as I saw Marchand streaking down the wing I was like PLEASE don't let up a goal right here. Boom in the back of the net. That was a backbreaker. Momentum killed. Crowd tried to help Fleury, chants his name, and he lets up a goal on(I think) his first or second shot against. So frustrating.

Everyone wants FLeury to do well I think, everyone likes Fleury the person, but Fleury the goalie is just... yikes.

I cannot stress how much I HATE Brad Marchand. HATE HATE HATE. Would probably love if he was on our team, but HATE right now.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:13 am

skullman80 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:The crowd grows restless with chants of "FLEURY, FLEURY, FLEURY, FLEURY", The Chosen One runs to the locker room to grab his helmet, it's go time. Sutter scores. Marchand shoots and a nuclear bomb levels the crowd. That was a made for TV moment right there.

As soon as I saw Marchand streaking down the wing I was like PLEASE don't let up a goal right here. Boom in the back of the net. That was a backbreaker. Momentum killed. Crowd tried to help Fleury, chants his name, and he lets up a goal on(I think) his first or second shot against. So frustrating.

Everyone wants FLeury to do well I think, everyone likes Fleury the person, but Fleury the goalie is just... yikes.

I cannot stress how much I HATE Brad Marchand. HATE HATE HATE. Would probably love if he was on our team, but HATE right now.

His 1st shot. They scored on 3 shots in a row :(
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:13 am

since1970 wrote:.....why can't we give Boston credit right now?

Why the hell should we? This is a pen's fan board. Not Boston.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am

pfim wrote:That's as clean a view as you'll get on a shot from the point, that's a shot that an average NHL goaltender stops.

Pretty much.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:- Come back with MAF in GM#3, preserve any chance at rebuilding his confidence for next year.

Come back with MAF in game 3 because if you go with Vokoun and lose again, then you're basically forced to go with MAF in game 4.

However, it's not going to matter who's in net if the team in front of them doesn't show up.

wtf kind of logic is this? Play Fleury now because you don't have confidence in him to play him in Game 4 if we lose?!

"He was still off his angle but..." The end. He has to stop that. Period. No excuses anymore for this guy.

So Fleury has to stop that one so they can lose 5-1 instead of 6-1 while the rest of the team had already mailed it in? Actually, "mailed it in" implies that they showed up to begin with - which they didn't.

If there was one goal Fleury had to stop, it was the Marchand one after Sutter got the Pens on the board. But if you want to go that far, Vokoun had to stop the third goal - there was absolutely no excuse for that one. However, it's still not going to matter who's in net if the team continues to play like they did last night.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

pfim wrote:That's as clean a view as you'll get on a shot from the point, that's a shot that an average NHL goaltender stops.

I'm not going to disagree with that - but it's not a shot a confident-less goaltender who hadn't played a game in 4 weeks is going to stop with ease.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 am

tfrizz wrote:

I'm not going to disagree with that - but it's not a shot a confident-less goaltender who hadn't played a game in 4 weeks is going to stop with ease.

When was the last time Vokoun played before he came in and posted a shutout against the Islanders? There's a new excuse every year.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:22 am

history is littered with backup goalies coming in after weeks of inactivity and not only making routine saves but also making exceptional ones.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am

tfrizz wrote:
Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Penspal wrote:Misread the team tweet this morning

#Pens Coach Dan Bylsma mum on who his starting goalie in Game 3 will be - 9 hours ago

I read it that HCDB's Mom was going to be the starter for game 3 ;)

If they want to hook me up with some goalie equipment, I'll meet the team in Boston. Chara has to promise no slappers, though.

Hell, put in Hartzell at this point. Vokoun hasn't been stellar, but he hasn't been horrible either (I'm looking at your blown defensive zone coverage). Fleury was given a chance to redeem himself last night and let in a a wrister that had no business going in an a slapshot from the point that he had a clean look at the entire way with no traffic in front.

I guess nobody noticed Vitale providing a screen at the faceoff dot?

Fleury was still off his angle, but he had nowhere near a clean look at the shot. He needed to either come out another foot or move half a step to his right.

Yes, Vitale was there, but for an NHL goalie who's been in the league for years, that's about as clean a look as you're going to get. No one was standing a foot in front of him blocking his vision and the puck didn't deflect off of Vitale's shin pad or stick or anything.

Put another way, if that's Letang winding up to shoot and Rask in net, Rask stops that shot 10 times out of 10 and doesn't think twice about it.
Last edited by Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 am

in crocodile dundee voice: "you call that a screen?"
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 am

shmenguin wrote:history is littered with backup goalies coming in after weeks of inactivity and not only making routine saves but also making exceptional ones.

I don't think Fleury has the mentality to be a backup goalie. As I mentioned in the "who should start game 3" thread, the CBC crew mentioned that Fleury looked completely shocked and unprepared when he was told to go in. 100% of backup goalies would leap off the bench at the chance to go into a game in the ECF, and Fleury's reaction was more of a "really? me?" one.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:history is littered with backup goalies coming in after weeks of inactivity and not only making routine saves but also making exceptional ones.

I don't think Fleury has the mentality to be a backup goalie. As I mentioned in the "who should start game 3" thread, the CBC crew mentioned that Fleury looked completely shocked and unprepared when he was told to go in. 100% of backup goalies would leap off the bench at the chance to go into a game in the ECF, and Fleury's reaction was more of a "really? me?" one.

That's on Fleury then. He shouldn't need to be coddled, especially at this point of his career.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am

tfrizz wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you put...lets say Halak or Lehtonen in there to make that save after having been out since the season ended, they would have made it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:30 am

If he's gonna play the top two lines all the itme, then the third and fouth aren't gonna see much ice time. But Julien is ready for the top two lines and has generally neutered them. 87 and 71 played a lot last night, but were thoroughly outplayed and nullified by Boston. The only life in game one was Kennedy, and the Adams-Vitale line showed some life last night, but didn't play enough. Something has to change, whether its the attitude and effort given by the players or the coaching or whatever, Boston is just a better team right now.
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:30 am

tfrizz wrote:

I don't think Fleury has the mentality to be a backup goalie.

Then his NHL career is toast.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

skullman80 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That's on Fleury then. He shouldn't need to be coddled, especially at this point of his career.

I agree completely. I mean, it sounds like Fleury's got so little confidence in himself that even he doesn't expect himself to play. Unfortunately, I know that feeling all to well - and it's virtually impossible to perform with that kind of mentality.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you put...lets say Halak or Lehtonen in there to make that save after having been out since the season ended, they would have made it.

I think you missed the "confident-less" part. There probably isn't another goalie on the planet with less confidence in himself than Fleury at this point in time, which is a shame because we all know what he's capable of when he is confident in his ability.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins