"There will be changes to our lineup and line combinations"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

"There will be changes to our lineup and line combinations"

Postby headh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Dan Bylsma says there will be changes. what say you?

I would go with

9-87-12
14-71-18
24-16-48
10-36-19

44-7
58-47
3-2
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: "There will be changes to our lineup and line combinatio

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm

10-87-12
14-71-18
24-16-9
19-46-48

44-7
47-58
3-4
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Basically yes (to the OP). But Jokinen has been poo in the playoffs. I'd put Jeffrey in and give the 4th line a more dynamic / hungry look.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm

24-87-12
14-71-18
9-16-10
27-46-48

44-7
47-58
3-4

meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:07 pm

9-87-14
24-71-18
10-36-12
27-16-48

44-7
47-58
3-2
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 pm

F 27 and the horse he rode in on...if we can't replace him on the PK in the ECF then we don't deserve the series. He is a stiff
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

I cannot stress this enough Adams will never be sat as long as Danny b is around
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

And if the Pens fall behind early Disco will start his juggling act. Every shift will be an adventure.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Adams out.
Bennett in.
Engelland out.
Despres in.
Adams out.
Adams out.
Adams out.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Get - 87 - 9
To - 71 - 18
Our - 16 - 12
Game - 46 - 48
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Check it out.... reading Jesse's FF telestrator he's obviously spot on with what the Bruins are doing. So how do we beat the 2-3 trap/left wing lock?

I'm no coach but here's what I do. I SHOOT TO THE NET. Wherever I have to. Once I am out of space. I shoot it to the net and bang away/force a faceoff. Not so much to score from long shots and dirty blue paint goals, but for one purpose. Face-offs. I know we suck on them and they are pretty much the best in the league, if not the best. However, I take my chances doing this all night than trying to beat them 5-on-5 through the trap. Get the puck up high too. Too many shots are being shot down low. Just get them elevated.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby meow on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm

We are complaining about Adams? Craig Adams?? He's the lease of our problems. Holy buckets.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:24 pm

meow wrote:We are complaining about Adams? Craig Adams?? He's the lease of our problems. Holy buckets.

Craig Adams is simutaneously the least of our problems and the least of our solutions.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm

sil wrote:
meow wrote:We are complaining about Adams? Craig Adams?? He's the lease of our problems. Holy buckets.

Craig Adams is simutaneously the least of our problems and the least of our solutions.

:thumb:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

sil wrote:

exactly. he is literally a zero
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

The 2-3 that the bruins play is not a left wing lock, unless your definition of the left wing lock is just to have a forward drop back below the other forwards. Its more of a 5 man defensive unit, the renaming forward who are still "forward" are not doing much pressuring. Its certainly not aggressive enough to be what people ran when the "left wing lock" was being run before 05.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I think the subtle Kunitz w/ Malkin, Iggy w/Crosby will be good enough. I just don't feel a line change is sufficient as much as a mindset purge is.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The 2-3 that the bruins play is not a left wing lock, unless your definition of the left wing lock is just to have a forward drop back below the other forwards. Its more of a 5 man defensive unit, the renaming forward who are still "forward" are not doing much pressuring. Its certainly not aggressive enough to be what people ran when the "left wing lock" was being run before 05.

Yeah, I don't think he ever specifically said "this is 100% what they are doing" he sort of suggesting it looks similar I think.

Anyway... what do you think of what I said about how to break it? I think we have the talent to cycle ONCE we get in. If anything, maybe we draw a few interference penalties when we rush the net once it's dumped/shot into the net. Do that all night it's bound to break open. We can still play sound defense because the dman wouldn't be needed to pinch/create offense like they're being forced to now.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:33 pm

To continue in a previous post, the left wing lock had the two forwards in on a real forecheck, leaving the neutral zone relatively unprotected. This worked because of the old two line pass rules. If the forwards could force a pass or chip from the offensive zone before the blue line, it was likely a turnover or it was icing. No one could break in for a 50/50 puck at the far blue line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The 2-3 that the bruins play is not a left wing lock, unless your definition of the left wing lock is just to have a forward drop back below the other forwards. Its more of a 5 man defensive unit, the renaming forward who are still "forward" are not doing much pressuring. Its certainly not aggressive enough to be what people ran when the "left wing lock" was being run before 05.

Actually that is the definition of a left wing lock. The left winger actually does drop back below the other forwards and joins the defensmen just like you said and they're all responsible for a third of the ice.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:

Yeah, I don't think he ever specifically said "this is 100% what they are doing" he sort of suggesting it looks similar I think.

Anyway... what do you think of what I said about how to break it? I think we have the talent to cycle ONCE we get in. If anything, maybe we draw a few interference penalties when we rush the net once it's dumped/shot into the net. Do that all night it's bound to break open. We can still play sound defense because the dman wouldn't be needed to pinch/create offense like they're being forced to now.

Despite my mockery the last hour or so of Bylsma, "getting to their game" is exactly what they need to do. If they avoid that crushing goal early, they can be more patient. When not behind, dump and chase and grind them down. Wear them down, its what the pens are designed to do. When they start to break or you get into the cycle, the offense will come. The Penguins system is designed to break the other team down, force mistakes, and then capitalize them. Sustained offense eventually breaks down even the greatest of defenses. You can't play that dump, chase, and grind game when you're playing from behind in a game with an 0-2 series though, so its vital not to lose that lead early.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Looking for the damn perfect shot on Rask. They don't have many going to the net, they refuse to lift the puck on Rask. No vid games on the plane, study last night's game.
In the 3rd, they played at a standstill.

I'm for tk and beau, plus mark eaton back in the line up.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

Actually that is the definition of a left wing lock. The left winger actually does drop back below the other forwards and joins the defensmen just like you said and they're all responsible for a third of the ice.

No, the left wing lock drops the left wing(or right really) down to the "defensive wing"(like you said) and the center and other wing get aggressive on the puck and force the other team to cough the puck up either to them or to the defensive 3. The reason it doesn't work anymore is because a team can get a man in the offensive half of the neutral zone and the puck carrier can fire the puck at him and he can just chip it in while others likely have momentum into the zone and can get in behind the D or just pass it to them at the blue line and they're in. It basically forces the back three down below the blue line which really opens things up to just carry it in past center and do a normal dump and chase. The 2-3 the bruins are running is a "clog the neutral zone". Unless you want it to call the "post 2 line pass left wing lock", its not the same.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm

penny lane wrote:Looking for the damn perfect shot on Rask. They don't have many going to the net, they refuse to lift the puck on Rask. No vid games on the plane, study last night's game.

Refuse to lift the puck? They must have missed the net 6-7 times high in game 1 alone.

I'm for TK and Bennett, but Eaton can sit. He was putrid in game 1. I'd rather see Despres, someone that can skate and pass the puck.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
penny lane wrote:Looking for the damn perfect shot on Rask. They don't have many going to the net, they refuse to lift the puck on Rask. No vid games on the plane, study last night's game.

Refuse to lift the puck? They must have missed the net 6-7 times high in game 1 alone.

I'm for TK and Bennett, but Eaton can sit. He was putrid in game 1. I'd rather see Despres, someone that can skate and pass the puck.

Yeah, they were inexplicably shooting high when they had chances, Rask is strong high.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins