When will Brendan Morrow turn on his "playoff beast mode"?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When will Brendan Morrow turn on his "playoff beast mode"?

Postby Lesky on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Everybody said he would become such an asset in the playoffs - that he was a fierce warrior etc. He would make a big difference burning for a Stanley Cup ring.

I just don´t see any of this at all really, why is Morrow even in the lineup?

What does Morrow at this stage bring that is more valuable than Tyler Kennedy or Joe Vitale?

Using Morrow on the PP and PK makes me stick, what has he shown IN PRESENT TIME to be given that ice time and trust?

Gary Roberts was a warrior, Morrow is nowhere near that.

Whats up with Morrows balance by the way? He stumbles and falls over all the time. He skates like he is 50, Bill Guerin at age 40 was like a speeding Ferrari in comparison.
---
I know you know I hated the trade from the start and still, but from Morrows performance, am I really that wrong?
Last edited by Lesky on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: When will Morrow turn on his "playoff beast mode"?

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I would say the chances of you being wrong are pretty high. Let's see how the thread plays out.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm

He's no Jagr, but... :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Nope I haven't seen anything from he or Murray that makes me believe that they are any better than our scrubs during this playoff run.

I half expected nothing from Murray, but Morrow I really believed would look like the best "3rd line winger in hockey".
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I would say he's hitting, grinding the corners and mucking it up in front of the net pretty consistently. I think that's all you want from him really.

As for PP, him being there is simply for a net front presence which he has consistently shown he is very willing to do. He is not afraid to be abused in the goal crease.

EDIT: This is 2nd PP unit, correct?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah I suppose, he wasn't counted on for alot of points. I guess these past 2 games have jaded me.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

The sad thing is that Morrow is more visible than Iginla.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm

I'm pretty happy with Morrow. He's playing his heart out. It's Iginla that I thought would be better.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: When will Brendan Morrow turn on his "playoff beast mode

Postby meow on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Someone is looking for Morrow to fail and critiquing his play too harsh. Morrow has played his role just about as well as any Penguin has.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Our 3 Conn Smyths from series I & II are MIA; that is the crux of this series.
Without scoring from Sid, Gene and Letang; the rest of the problems are just fodder for us to kick.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:49 pm

he's oscillated between having sutter and adams as his center throughout the playoffs. in other words, he's been playing without a center.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nhl94 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm pretty happy with Morrow. He's playing his heart out. It's Iginla that I thought would be better.

The sad part is that Iggy isn't even playing his natural position. Take that up to DB or Crosby...
nhl94

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I haven't been impressed with Morrow, but I've been much more disappointed in Iginla.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Morrow was producing plenty in the reg season playing with a center who could actually handle the puck. He's playing 13 minutes on the 3rd and 4th line against the opposition's top players, doing exactly what is expected in that role.

If Blysma makes the shocking decision to play our 2nd best LW on a scoring line, then look for him to contribute offensively as well.

And he doesn't look like a *****. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=469195956490575&set=a.469195763157261.1073741824.283788508364655&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F1075_469195956490575_129491671_n.jpg&size=720%2C960
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Actually I though Morrow was one of the few players that look like they actually are doing something good. When he's out there, things go better than when lines 1 or 2 are out there. As far as PP time... he gets like 1 min per game if that. I'm not too sure what you want from someone playing the 3rd/4th line and only like 14 minutes a night. He's playing better than Sid, nuff said.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm

I think Morrow's ok. How can people say Murray has been bad? He has been great in his role (IMO). Iginla has been extremely disappointing since the Islanders series, really. I hope he can come out tomorrow and prove why he was worth a 1st and 2 good prospects because at this point, if his name wasn't "Iginla" Bennett would be playing over him.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm pretty happy with Morrow. He's playing his heart out. It's Iginla that I thought would be better.

Correct.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Correct.

mikey, you see the Pens turning it around? Just curious, that's all.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 pm

I'll know 10 minutes into game 3. I'm praying so, we have the talent. We have a championship caliber team here, but Boston is no pushover as we are all fully aware right now. Cop out answer, I know, but it's a moderately-veiled displeasure with the mental fragility of this team too. Our weakest point is our direction/leadership/brain stuff.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:00 am

mikey287 wrote:I'll know 10 minutes into game 3. I'm praying so, we have the talent. We have a championship caliber team here, but Boston is no pushover as we are all fully aware right now. Cop out answer, I know, but it's a moderately-veiled displeasure with the mental fragility of this team too. Our weakest point is our direction/leadership/brain stuff.

I don't get it. So many key players won the Cup basically as kids. I keep waiting for a "been here, done this, we know what it takes" attitude, and I don't see it.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 am

I don't really get it either, to be honest. I thought Iginla and Morrow would bring that to the table, and I'm not saying they aren't necessarily, but it's not evident in the play of #12 at least. Brenden Morrow might be the most forthright leader on the team, but I'm not sure he's doing a lot of rah-rah stuff at this (clearly) advanced stage of his career relative to the other talents on the team relative to the amount of time he's been here relative to his role with the club. It can be an uncomfortable situation to try to take command of a locker room in these circumstances. I thought we could get away with acquiring them for "stabilization" purposes and get through.

I have reason to believe (just on a hunch, I don't really know how) that Iginla would have been sucked right into that wishes-it-were-actual-hockey series last year against Philadelphia. I'm not positive Morrow would have necessarily been above it all, but I don't believe he gets sucked into it like some of our guys.

There's no disciplinarian coach on the bench and maybe we're seeing why that's a factor. Bylsma, Granato and Reirden aren't really hard asses. Crosby leads by example, Malkin doesn't lead at all, Letang doesn't lead at all, it's unclear if Iginla has any say in the matter...Orpik (the "future captain" before Crosby came along) is a mystery to me. I'm not sure what the chatter is like coming from him and Dupuis, those are two guys that I could see going, "look *******, cut the ****!" But I'm not sure if they're powerful enough to change the dynamic.

I'm just aimlessly speculating while fall asleep, but I've been puzzled for a few years now how the leadership on this team works and what the protocol for questions that need answering. And that's not me putting it down - necessarily - it's an honest admission of ignorance. We'll get a glimpse into the psyche of this team in game 3, that's for true.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:22 am

I think it's somewhat telling that all of this is occuring after an 8 day layoff. Bylsma does not push his players hard, he cares nothing about matchups, and obviously the Bruins coaching staff does a great deal. They worked harder and were better prepared over the 8 days, and you can bet thet Jagr knows exactly what they Flyers did to the Pens last spring and how they execute. I'd be willing to bet that Boston brought Jagr in for that very reason, or at least that was a factor.

Bylsma defers to the players 100% of the time, even when they are wrong. Basically he is like a kid playing NHL 2013 and just plugging guys in to wherever they seem to fit, regardless of who is on the ice for the opposition. And you can bet if they bring him back next year, we'll see Adams and Engelland waddling the puck through center ice and dumping it in, while talented young players sit on the bench and in the press box. It's one thing to go with the tried and true, but it's quite another to keep going with the tried and failed.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:The sad thing is that Morrow is more visible than Iginla.

Yeah, replace "Morrow" with "Iginla" in the original post...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 am

Q: When will Brendan Morrow turn on his "playoff beast mode"?
A: tonight
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I'd rather have Morrow next rather over Iginla. Partially because they use him in the right position/role, and he's a good leader.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins