Official GDT: Pens vs Bruins ECF Game 3- 6/5/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Bruins ECF Game 3- 6/5/13

Postby eww7633 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Bioshock wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:No way is Shero on the bubble. He's built a fantastic team. If anything, he's at fault for not firing Bylsma after last year's playoffs.

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

That's it. That's the list. Outside of those 4, given the right circumstances, anything can happen.

Neal? I doubt hes going anywhere.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Bioshock wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:No way is Shero on the bubble. He's built a fantastic team. If anything, he's at fault for not firing Bylsma after last year's playoffs.

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

That's it. That's the list. Outside of those 4, given the right circumstances, anything can happen.

I'd add Martin, Sutter, Neal and Bennett to that list.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eww7633 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:Is Tony Granato head coaching material?

It didn't work out for him in Colorado, twice.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Bioshock wrote:

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

I'm telling you right now Malkin isn't safe.

Rob Rossi would have you believe otherwise but he's due for a monster contract when your franchise has to search for a new strategy for making a lineup.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bdevido on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

for the love of god how can you possibly blame malkin? he was the only person on offense who actually looked alive in all 3 games. if anyone should be criticized its crosby. lets face it, morrow, sutter, and igilnia look so old its pathetic. get rid of all three, fleury, letang, and disco dan and go back to the drawing board.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am

Bioshock wrote:

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

I'll be in disagreement and add Kunitz, Neal, Sutter, Martin to that list. They're going nowhere
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am

I think that a roster like this needs a coach who is going to demand respect. I think they need someone accomplished. Hypothetically, because the Pens are going to win this series in 7.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am

Desiato wrote:Letang is a player who can definitely be recovered. Letang under Scotty for a couple of seasons would be one of the best players in the league. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I said in a thread earlier this week that despite the fact I've supported DB until recently, he's terrible for Letang. If there were ever a player who needed a Therien type instead of a Bylsma type it woulld be Letang.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am

bdevido wrote:for the love of god how can you possibly blame malkin? he was the only person on offense who actually looked alive in all 3 games. if anyone should be criticized its crosby. lets face it, morrow, sutter, and igilnia look so old its pathetic. get rid of all three, fleury, letang, and disco dan and go back to the drawing board.

I'd argue that sutter looked more inexperienced than old. Morrow played ok, just not worldburning.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

Staggy wrote:And **** it, Crosby is playing without a helmet from now on. Just throw it off every time you hit the ice, Sid.

3D printed titanium skull replacement as soon as the season is over.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

I think the pens will make a big effort to keep Letang - not the other way around.

This is offseason talk tough - we've got at least one more game, hopefully the Pens can bring it back to Pittsburgh for game five.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

All the talk of blowing up the team seems a bit much. We have a 40g scorer for 5mil a year, we have 2 other wingers who have been 20-30 goal scorers. We have a talented offensive defenseman, who can't play D for **** but if paired with the right partner with proper coaching and a good system can thrive. Its not like we don't have talent.

We need a new coach with a real system, not this "I don't match lines" and "0 for 1000 on the PP? Ok...get the same guys out there again...they are DUE!!". I swear Disco is the guy who goes to the roulette wheel and says "Red 5 times in a row?! It HAS to be black next!". We need solid goaltending and a real coach with a quality system and discipline. You don't score 3.5 goals a game in the regular season and win 75% of your games without the talent to win. Problem is, reg season coaching is not the same as the playoffs. You need quality coaching and matching and changes to adjust and counter...Disco has NEVER been able to do any of that. NEVER. N-E-V-E-R. He is a coach with an inflated regular season record from the incredible talent he has had under his command since he started, who cannot turn it into playoff success.

The Cup was won with the discipline and system of Therrien, but with Disco coming in and loosening the reins, because the players were tired of the Therrien Tirades...but Disco did not create the system that won. He just gave them some breathing room. Ever since he has been able to really direct things, we have won...what? 1 playoffs series until this year, when we SQUEAKED by an inferior Islander team, and crushed a team with 32 rookies on it? We demolished Boston in the regular season...but boy, when it REALLY counted...Disco had NOTHING to show in the playoffs. When their coaching and discipline came through in an actual series...Disco was left in the cold.
Last edited by Antonio on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

Was head coach of the Avalanche.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

Desiato wrote:

I think that a roster like this needs a coach who is going to demand respect. I think they need someone accomplished. Hypothetically, because the Pens are going to win this series in 7.

Not going to disagree until they lose 1 more.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

bdevido wrote:for the love of god how can you possibly blame malkin? he was the only person on offense who actually looked alive in all 3 games. if anyone should be criticized its crosby. lets face it, morrow, sutter, and igilnia look so old its pathetic. get rid of all three, fleury, letang, and disco dan and go back to the drawing board.

At some point you need to score. Malkin and Crosby are not rookies where you're just happy with them playing well.

They've totally sucked in the points department.

You cannot cover up for the lack of production of both our stars, no matter how you want to spin it.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

profpolisci wrote:
SoCalPenguin wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Disco looks defeated

He looks defeated because he is defeated. They lost the series to a 4 seed prolly by a sweep.

He lost his job tonight. He had a dream job and he just lost it.

If he's let go he'll be fielding phone calls within an hour of his termination.

Good for him, but he will never have a job as good as this one with the talent we have here. And he knows that I'm sure.

He effed up a wet dream.

A difficult task to accomplish.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

I'll be in disagreement and add Kunitz, Neal, Sutter, Martin to that list. They're going nowhere

I would agree. I just was speaking on hypotheticals. Just saying that in no way would those 4 be moved UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 am

eww7633 wrote: Remember, we're going to free up 5 million from Fleury (hopefully).

Please explain to me how this is going to happen. You can't just cut a guy and his salary is off the books. Ask the Flyers how they like the Briere deal. :face:

Who in the world is going to trade for Fleury and his 5 million? Nobody. His confidence is gone. He makes way too much that no team is going to bail into 5 million for a zero confidence goalie. You can get a shaken goalie like Fleury for the league minimum.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 am

eww7633 wrote:

It didn't work out for him in Colorado, twice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude isn't even assistant coaching material.

We need a complete overhaul behind the bench this offseason.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eww7633 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am

Scott wrote:
eww7633 wrote: Remember, we're going to free up 5 million from Fleury (hopefully).

Please explain to me how this is going to happen. You can't just cut a guy and his salary is off the books. Ask the Flyers how they like the Briere deal. :face:

Who in the world is going to trade for Fleury and his 5 million? Nobody. His confidence is gone. He makes way too much that no team is going to bail into 5 million for a zero confidence goalie. You can get a shaken goalie like Fleury for the league minimum.

We buy him out. Yes, it costs the Pens money, but not against the cap.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am

Bioshock wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

People who are safe:

Geno
Sid
Shero
Vokoun

I would agree. I just was speaking on hypotheticals. Just saying that in no way would those 4 be moved UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Perhaps just my opinion, but I don't think Malkin is untouchable.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am

what a shame with all this talent
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 am

Malkin is safe if he's fine with his current salary. If he wants to max out, it would have to be elsewhere. The last five years 87-71 have played together in the playoffs read: Eastern Conference Champion, Stanley Cup Champion, second round exit, disasterous first round exit, Eastern Conference Finals.

They averaged 9.5 wins per playoff season, and that assume a loss on Friday. That's hardly justification to blow up the current model.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 am

Series was lost in Pittsburgh. Can't just not show up to a home game in the Conference finals and get away with it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 am

Great season...just had 2 bad games.

We were lucky as hell to best the Islanders. Didnt deserve it, IMO.

The playoffs are a crapshoot. Home ice and seeding means nothing.

Game 1 we got no bounces, played totally even with Boston and lost it towards the end.

Game 2 was pure domination.

Game 3 we hit 6 posts, controlled most of the game and lost. Struggled on the PP but so did Boston.

Losing this series in 4 or 5 looks bad but only 1 game has been a blowout. In the conference finals you can't expect to get ZERO good fortune and win. Teams are too evenly matched, games are decided by posts, bounces, goals off skates, etc.

Not one rebound has landed on our stick. Not one whacky bounce has gone our way. Not one slapper has gone off end boards and back into Rask's crease. Not one shot from the blue line has hit 3 bodies and gone in. We have hit 12+ pipes in three games. The puck bouncing over Sid's stick one min into game 2 gives Boston a goal. Harmless pass 2 minutes into tonight's game hits Nisky's toe and goes in. Cooke gets ejected in game 1 for a 2 min board. Pucks rolling all over Rask's crease and not one gets jabbed into the net.

The lack of luck/bounces is unreal. Hockey games more than any other sport are decided by these breaks that put you over the top or kill you. It's a huge part of the game.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins