Team has some issues that just have to be addressed. It's the same story 4 years now.
1) Fleury. Too much money tied up in a franchise goalie too unreliable to play in the biggest games. $5 mil cap hit for a guy who has been a playoff flop after the 2009 Cup.
2) Offensive system. God I would love to see us just copy the Red Wings system. I'm no fan but they understand puck possession, watching them I can't help but wonder what the Pens would be able to do in that system instead of non-stop stretch passing the length of the ice all night.
3) Defensive system. We should get one. Even a used on from Ebay would be nice.
4) Letang. Maybe move him to Forward since he plays as if he wants to be there. Great skills but the constant bad judgments just has to stop. He's not 22 years old anymore. How do we pay him $7 mil if he can't mature into a DEFENSEMAN first?
5) Orpik. No longer the feared hitter he once was. Prone to the bad judgment himself from time to time and never has been the best positional player. Without the hits, his cap number looks pretty high.
6) Center position is set for next year with Sutter and Jokinen and Vitale.
7) Despres better be able to step in and pay next year. He has to be a regular.
8) Iginla & Morrow. Both are slow,much slower than I expected them to be. Morrow brings grit and heart, hits and plays hard. I'd rather re-sign him if possible. He may be the only guy on the roster capable of playing in front of the net (when permitted to do so) which makes me ask, why have the Pens been allergic to playing a traffic guy in front of the net like almost everyone else does? God that Power Play looks terrible when just passing around outside with no traffic ... and it doesn't work.
9) Bennett. See Despres comments. he must be a top 6 next year. Period.
10) Wingers, the annual debate. Lots of free agents there. Dupuis seems ageless, I hope he returns. Cooke, I like his new-found game but he is a marked man with the refs. I'm convinced he gets more than others based on his old rep. But when on, he plays really hard. Kennedy, $2 mil to sit the bench? We don't have much youth behind Bennett but some of our wingers were painfully slow against Boston. Love Iginla but he is not cut out to play a fast-paced system (not that I am convinced it is the best one for the Pens to play).
11) Bylsma. How many more years can underachievement with "the best 2 players in the world" be tolerated? Would love Dan to be my neighbor but I have been soured on him as the coach for a while. Bad personnel decisions, playing people out of their positions, consistent issues with team focus and team defense, power play that at times looks like me and 4 guys off this board are out there, how much longer can this continue? His adjustments don't seem to be there when they face a team that has them figured out. Is he just stubborn or incapable of digesting the opponent and making the appropriate strategy calls? I'm hoping for a change, more structure and focus. Too much talent but these guys won't be in their prime forever.
This game hurt. If any one of those 4-5 posts ... my post would be much shorter and happier.