Give some credit to where it is due?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Give some credit to where it is due?

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:18 am

Going through the GDT and most of the topics here and there is not one mention that credits Boston for what they have done. They shut us down and have outplayed the Pens most of this series. They came out with a purpose and scored the first goal in every game this series and dictated the tempo from there with a 2-3 trap/left wing lock. They sucked the Pens right in to the way they want to play hockey. They shut down and destroyed a team with multiple future hall of famers. They did exactly what they have set to do from the begining.

I understand that there is finger pointing to be done. Especially with the team we have. I get that, but credit needs to be given to Julian and the rest of the Bruins. If they advance I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins win the cup. If they can drop us they can do the same to the remaining two teams in the West.

This being said let's hope our boys can take one win at a time from here on out and see where it goes.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Give some credit to where it is due?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

No one wants to give credit because everyone was so sure the Pens were going to walk through the series. Looks like Boston was a lot better than a lot of people thought and its now going to be really difficult for the Pens to win in 5.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am

Idoit40fans wrote:No one wants to give credit because everyone was so sure the Pens were going to walk through the series. Looks like Boston was a lot better than a lot of people thought and its now going to be really difficult for the Pens to win in 5.

anyone who thought that the Pens were "going to walk through this series" doesn't know a lot about the Bruins. I've been dreading this series since February. the Bruins don't get a lot of credit for the skill they have and the absolute team game that they play. they have the best 4th line in hockey. they're 4th line is better than some teams' 2nd line. if we're lucky Campbell's injury will keep him out for awhile. they also have the most underrated D man in the NHL in Seidenberg. wish he could've stayed injured.

edit: word is Campbell's leg is broken. this could be a big turning point for the Pens.
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am

The Bruins are legit.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:39 am

I'd wager that they don't know a lot about anything other than the Pens' March. It baffles me how many people thought the Bruins were lucky to still be in it, but I'm guessing thats because they also didn't watch the Maple Leafs this year and thought that should have been a pushover series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 am

Rask is playing out of his mind. All the credit in the world to him.

But, can't look past the Pens completely not showing up at all to Game 2.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 am

they have played well but we have missed plenty of chances to win at least 2 games easily. Pens shot themselves in the foot more than the Bruins stopped them IMO but kudos to the Bruins they did what they needed to do to win.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am

Bruins are a really good team with a really good goalie.
We pissed away game 2 and were not ready to play when this series started. And that is on HCDB. The Bruins were ready from the drop of the puck game 1.
I feel we JUST started playoff hockey last night.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:51 am

If we played the first two games like last night, it could be a 1-2 or 2-1 series now. That's what's so depressing.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

I can't see past the sloppy execution by everyone to see if the Bruins are good or not. Sorry, but it's hard to give the other team credit when your team keeps shooting themselves in the foot and hitting posts.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 am

Idoit40fans wrote:No one wants to give credit because everyone was so sure the Pens were going to walk through the series. Looks like Boston was a lot better than a lot of people thought and its now going to be really difficult for the Pens to win in 5.

Agreed. I was surprised at how many people thought this series would be a cakewalk for the Pens. Experts included.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 am

Tukka Rask has me eating crow over this series.

I did not give him the respect he now should command.

Boston is playing extremely well. I thought our speed would overtake their skill, and power. But, holy moly these guys can pass, and pass well. Tape to tape all day long.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am

llipgh2 wrote:

Agreed. I was surprised at how many people thought this series would be a cakewalk for the Pens. Experts included.

Guilty.

Right here.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 am

....I said it before the Bruins staff did a much better job than ours getting their team ready (thanks in part to the NYI), and Bylsma giving them basically four straight home ice advantages by not matching lines should be enough to get him fired, what coach doesn't take any competitive advantage they're given is beyond me. When you're close in talent levels it's all X/O's and their X/O guys are better than ours.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 am

bh wrote:If we played the first two games like last night, it could be a 1-2 or 2-1 series now. That's what's so depressing.

if we played the first two games like last night, we still wouldn't be scoring enough to win. i don't think there was much difference between game 1 and game 3 aside from stellar goaltending and malkin being a stud.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 am

People act like the Bruins haven't hit any posts or had any bad luck. My god people rave about how good TV was then say the Bruins are lucky.

They are simply keeping the pens I the outside. The only real chances we have had are when Geno works himself to the middle of the ice on a rush.

A few of te posts we hit (and btw the Bruins hit a few too even in OT) doesn't mean they would have gone in, on one of Sids the goalie had his skate against the post. Everyone is screaming "ahhhhhh bad luck.....destiny!l". It had no chance of going in.

Just saying the bruins are not giving really good chances, we refuse to play in front of the net nd we refuse to chip and chase, they refuse to deviate from a solid system.

You don't go up 3-0 because of luck or destiny. You go up because you are playing better, smarter hockey and giving yourselves easier chances at scoring
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:People act like the Bruins haven't hit any posts or had any bad luck. My god people rave about how good TV was then say the Bruins are lucky.

They are simply keeping the pens I the outside. The only real chances we have had are when Geno works himself to the middle of the ice on a rush.

A few of te posts we hit (and btw the Bruins hit a few too even in OT) doesn't mean they would have gone in, on one of Sids the goalie had his skate against the post. Everyone is screaming "ahhhhhh bad luck.....destiny!l". It had no chance of going in.

Just saying the bruins are not giving really good chances, we refuse to play in front of the net nd we refuse to chip and chase, they refuse to deviate from a solid system.

You don't go up 3-0 because of luck or destiny. You go up because you are playing better, smarter hockey and giving yourselves easier chances at scoring

yeah, pretty much this.

hitting a post is missing the net. there's no luck to it - you blew your shot. to get away from being "snakebit", i'm pretty sure you're supposed to start mucking it up around the crease to look for rebounds and loose pucks. last night was more of the same "one and done" offense. vokoun probably made more good saves than rask last night, despite the shot difference. i just didn't see any sustained pressure, or forcing him to move around in his crease.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:People act like the Bruins haven't hit any posts or had any bad luck. My god people rave about how good TV was then say the Bruins are lucky.

Or they are saying, that the Bruins are playing well, and have luck on their side. That does happen.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

Bruins are playing great and making the Pens take unforced turnovers and look rather slow. When the B's system doesn't work, Rask or the goalposts have everything under control.

I thought Game 2 was an abomination of lack of effort or anything resembling focus by the Pens, but the Bruins earned the other wins by their own play and making the Pens play a game they don't want to at all.

I have no problem saying that the Bruins are the better and hotter team right now.Rask is looking fantastic and they are leaving everything they have on the ice. When they had a chance to stomp the throat of the Pens in this series in OT, they did it.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am

shmenguin wrote:

yeah, pretty much this.

hitting a post is missing the net. there's no luck to it - you blew your shot. to get away from being "snakebit", i'm pretty sure you're supposed to start mucking it up around the crease to look for rebounds and loose pucks. last night was more of the same "one and done" offense. vokoun probably made more good saves than rask last night, despite the shot difference. i just didn't see any sustained pressure, or forcing him to move around in his crease.

So what is it when you "blow your shot" and it then goes off a skate, and into the net anyway ? Skill ? Luck is luck, and luck is involved in all sports.

Just saying luck plays a part is not saying it is ALL luck. That is just playing all or nothing with people's words.

Yet, you make a great point. The Penguins have NO ONE in front of the net, and that fact should be questioned by the coaching staff.

You need ..........wait for it.......... a little luck when the goal tender is playing at the level that Tukka Rask is. They need a re-direction, deflection, bad bounce, off a skate, off a arm, leg, my pet dog, Voyager 1, what ever it takes man.

But it starts with people in front of the net and getting their stick on the puck.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

Teams dot get unlucky or lucky they keep pressing and getting real chances and will break through.

2 goals in 3 games isn't luck. The bruins had just as many missed chances as the Pens.

Fine ill take your rationale. What do you call it when a Bruin has a wide open net but te puck randomly goes 3 inche out if his reach?

By everyone's rationale the pens are the only team that missed chances and had bad luck. If you out everyone's rationale on an even scale last night would have been 6-6 into OT.

I hate heading "it could have been 5-1"!!!!!!

Yeah if you look at it one sided. The reason the pens are not scoring is because they are too soft and the bruins are to good on defense to let them around te net. Period.

I swear you would think the bruins are just floating around watching the pens outplay them. It's not the case at all.

The bruins first goal wasn't luck it was a reward for 3 games of controlling play, an getting traffic an pucks on net.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:So what is it when you "blow your shot" and it then goes off a skate, and into the net anyway ? Skill ? Luck is luck, and luck is involved in all sports.

Just saying luck plays a part is not saying it is ALL luck. That is just playing all or nothing with people's words.

Yet, you make a great point. The Penguins have NO ONE in front of the net, and that fact should be questioned by the coaching staff.

You need ..........wait for it.......... a little luck when the goal tender is playing at the level that Tukka Rask is. They need a re-direction, deflection, bad bounce, off a skate, off a arm, leg, my pet dog, Voyager 1, what ever it takes man.

But it starts with people in front of the net and getting their stick on the puck.

sure, it was a lucky goal to hit perfectly off niskanen's skate. but the bruins had a full shift of domination in our zone before that shot happened. it was luck in game 1 when krejci's shot hits martin, but crosby left him wide open for some reason. it was luck that the 3rd goal was the result of the puck popping up like it did, but letang decided to swat it with his stick instead of making an easy play with his glove.

this isn't dumping a puck from center ice that hits a divot and veers into the goal. this is a bunch of junk from us that ultimately results in a few goals. the minute that boston even comes close to our lack of discipline is when we'll start seeing some "luck"
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am

Claude Juliens always win against up tempo teams like the Pens. Need a coach that can adjust when playing a Claude Juliens.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IMFC on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:07 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Pens. Need a coach that can adjust when playing

hockey.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I think far too many people forget that this team won the Stanley Cup two years ago with almost the exact same roster. They lost Recchi, Ryder, Wheeler, Thomas, and Savard (who didn't play in the playoffs anyways) and they've added Hamilton, Krug, and Jagr. I'm not sure if I've missed any players in the lost or gained category, but this is a damn good team.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins