Give some credit to where it is due?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Give some credit to where it is due?

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 pm

the cup roster turnovers between boston and pittsburgh are light years apart. the bruins have a ton of guys that have been there and know what it takes. the pens dont have nearly as many.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm

but, but, but we added skilled, talented and warrior-type players in Iginla, Murray and Morrow -- who between them have ZERO cups.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Rugbymuffin wrote:So what is it when you "blow your shot" and it then goes off a skate, and into the net anyway ? Skill ? Luck is luck, and luck is involved in all sports.

Just saying luck plays a part is not saying it is ALL luck. That is just playing all or nothing with people's words.

Yet, you make a great point. The Penguins have NO ONE in front of the net, and that fact should be questioned by the coaching staff.

You need ..........wait for it.......... a little luck when the goal tender is playing at the level that Tukka Rask is. They need a re-direction, deflection, bad bounce, off a skate, off a arm, leg, my pet dog, Voyager 1, what ever it takes man.

But it starts with people in front of the net and getting their stick on the puck.

sure, it was a lucky goal to hit perfectly off niskanen's skate. but the bruins had a full shift of domination in our zone before that shot happened. it was luck in game 1 when krejci's shot hits martin, but crosby left him wide open for some reason. it was luck that the 3rd goal was the result of the puck popping up like it did, but letang decided to swat it with his stick instead of making an easy play with his glove.

this isn't dumping a puck from center ice that hits a divot and veers into the goal. this is a bunch of junk from us that ultimately results in a few goals. the minute that boston even comes close to our lack of discipline is when we'll start seeing some "luck"

Boston is playing well, but they are not playing perfect.

Are over dramatizing this a little bit ?

The Bruins are out playing the Penguins, and playing good hockey.

There, that is a honest compliment, but I am not about to gush about how the Bruins are perfect in every way.

The Penguins earned their shots, and have not had the bounce at the end of it as you describe above for Boston.

Done. The credit has been given.

But I am not a Bruins fan so I see no need to go on about how great they are.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

BigMcK wrote:but, but, but we added skilled, talented and warrior-type players in Iginla, Murray and Morrow -- who between them have ZERO cups.

Iginla is no warrior and his skill is debatable.

Hated the trade when it happened and still hate it now.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Just for the record, I've said it before but Boston is my second favorite team. I think many people maybe denied their own minds because you had to know this was going to be pretty even, though I felt Pens would prevail in the end. I am rooting for Boston to win the Cup if they beat us.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:58 am

Sarcastic wrote:Just for the record, I've said it before but Boston is my second favorite team. I think many people maybe denied their own minds because you had to know this was going to be pretty even, though I felt Pens would prevail in the end. I am rooting for Boston to win the Cup if they beat us.

you're not alone. Boston is my #2 as well. my SO is from Boston (I turned her into a Pens fan 17 years ago) so Boston is like a 2nd home to me. I've been simultaneously dreading and anticipating this series since February. my only disappointment is that the Pens have missed 80% of this series by not playing up to their level. when the Pens are on they're are the most entertaining NHL team to watch.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 am

You know, you are right...give credit where credit is due. But It will be interesting to see what happens when the Pens score the first goal (or three) tonight. Bruins have not for one second played from behind this series. Makes a BBBIIIGGG diference, not that y'all don't know that already.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 am

The Bruins are well coached, have depth, and play as a team. They don't act like children when frustrated.

I was stunned by the number of people saying Pens in 5 or 6. Very respected hockey minds saying this, too. Like Mike Colligan and even Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe.

Mike Babcock had a very good quote earlier in the playoffs. Something along the lines of the first two lines cancel each other out, and the good teams are the ones with the better third and fourth lines. The Bruins bottom lines have been very good in this series.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:04 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Bruins bottom lines have been very good in this series.

have they? seems like, for both teams, the bottom 2 lines have canceled each other out. nothing happening on offense and solid play on defense.

the top 6 is the giant gaping difference in the series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 am

You have to give them credit. How many odd man rushes have the Pens had? Almost none. How many times have the Bruins been in position to block passes or intercept passes? A ton. There have been multiple times when the Bruins looked like they were playing with an extra man because the Pens had no shooting lanes or anywhere to go with a pass in the offensive zone. Above all else, they have pounced on the Pens mistakes and made us pay for them.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:45 am

Lucic and Chara are frightening human beings. Chara's ability to just... take up so much damn space and his terrifying slapshot and Lucic is just a monster. He is much faster and more skilled than I thought he was for some reason.

But overall, the Bruins have been the more disciplined team and have played a great team game. Plus every damn bounce.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 am

The bottom two lines have been making a difference? You do know that Julien shortened his bench to 10 forwards, and was basically rolling 3 lines throughout a double OT game? The single biggest difference between the two teams is that THEIR first line (Krejci/Lucic/Horton) has been dominant, and ours has produced what, 1 point in 3 games.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The bottom two lines have been making a difference? You do know that Julien shortened his bench to 10 forwards, and was basically rolling 3 lines throughout a double OT game? The single biggest difference between the two teams is that THEIR first line (Krejci/Lucic/Horton) has been dominant, and ours has produced what, 1 point in 3 games.

yes but he was FORCED to roll 10 forwards when Campbell broke his leg. there's no reason for Thorton to be out there if he can't have Paille and Campbell with him. the Bruins have the best 4th line in the NHL, better than some teams' 2nd line. having that good a 4th line allows HCCJ to keep his 1 and 2 lines fresher. bringing in Daugevins/Caron/Pandawful/whomever is going to change that. hopefully the Pens can capitalize.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby since1970 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 am

I look at the rear 6 as the real difference, and it might have a lot to do with Chara. He pretty much takes the entire lower half of the D-zone away by himself with his size and that telephone pole he uses as a stick, but stiil it looks to me like the Bruins defense is 3x the size of ours and just eat space, maybe because they seem to be everywhere. There were a couple times this series where I thought Martin could've completely lit up a Bruin player legally and didn't. I know that's not his game, but sometimes it takes a big hit/play from someone unexpected to give your team that Talbot SHHHH!! moment, and I like Martin a lot, but it really looked like he was so concious of getting burned.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 am

Seidenberg coming back is the difference defensively between the Bruins against the Laffs and Rags and the Bruins against the Pens. Seidenberg is overlooked because of a tree name Chara but he is as solid as solid gets back there.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins