My personality

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My personality

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 am

Don't be like me.... Part of me feels sorry for Iggy. He chose here, he came here and now he will be eliminated by he team he spurned. The other part of me watches him play and is angry at just how slow and bad he is right now. Not his fault, but man it is frustrating. Sorry just venting
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: My personality

Postby beachinit on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 am

MarioLives wrote:Don't be like me.... Part of me feels sorry for Iggy. He chose here, he came here and now he will be eliminated by he team he spurned. The other part of me watches him play and is angry at just how slow and bad he is right now. Not his fault, but man it is frustrating. Sorry just venting

Agree with you though. Never thought these trades were necessary. Bennett, Jeffries and other were playing just as well as them
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 am

MarioLives wrote:Don't be like me.... Part of me feels sorry for Iggy. He chose here, he came here and now he will be eliminated by he team he spurned.

Yeah, I don't feel bad for him.

Remember, we all loved it when Hossa did the same thing. Karma is a funny thing sometimes.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 am

yeah he was pretty bad. Like really bad. Like really really bad. He had ONE nice play. ONE. He did a power mive to the front of the net all by himself and had a good chance. Other than that, he was terrible. He was a black hole where offense went to die. He killed our one powerplay all by himself. Beau is a way better NHL player at this stage in their careers and it's a shame that he hasn't played more than he has. Jeffrey is a better player right now as well. Iggy is just one in the list of players that are disappointing me this series/playoffs.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Iggy has been kinda disappointing from day one of the trade. Expectations for him being sky high, unrealistically so as most Pens fans (myself included) don't see alot of Cgy games.. It ain't 2005 anymore.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm

He's 35 and on a team where is not "the guy". Hell of an adjustment, especially considering he is only playing on his 2nd career team.

I would be willing to bet, had he been acquired before the start of the season, he would be in a much better place.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah, go back to the initial (pre-trade) discussions on the idea and you'll see people being chastised for suggesting the possibility of him playing on the 3rd line.

I brought it up because Dupuis was performing so well and you obviously wouldn't play him at LW.....ooops.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:He's 35 and on a team where is not "the guy". Hell of an adjustment, especially considering he is only playing on his 2nd career team.

I would be willing to bet, had he been acquired before the start of the season, he would be in a much better place.

Not to mention if he was able to play right wing all the time on a line with the right people...yeah I believe a different Iginla would be skating for us.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Scott wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:He's 35 and on a team where is not "the guy". Hell of an adjustment, especially considering he is only playing on his 2nd career team.

Not to mention if he was able to play right wing all the time on a line with the right people...yeah I believe a different Iginla would be skating for us.

He was playing on the right wing in Calgary and only scored 9 goals in 31 games.

He just doesn't have it anymore.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:

He was playing on the right wing in Calgary and only scored 9 goals in 31 games.

Really? Who was he playing with in Calgary. Moreover you must be the only person that has witnessed Iginla taking regular shifts with Crosby spanning more than twice a game. How much time did he get to play with Sid who makes everyone better.

Iginla very well might be lousy in 2013, but has Dan made the effort to see if Iginla still has anything left from any angle? I think not.

I used to be one of the first people to stand up for Bylsma but IMO he has worn out his time here and it has run its course. If you have ever coached anything at any level you take any and all losses to the point of sole responsibility. I'm sorry but in many facets of the game Dan is NOT exhausting all his options and his strategies are zero, because he only has one stratgey. His way or no way.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 pm

I had no expectations for this guy. All the slobbering, all the drooling... I never got it. He was washed up and it was showing.

That isn't a knock on him. He's a sure fire Hall of Famer and has amassed a great career.

But when the Pens picked him up; I never thought it was "the" piece. He gives them nothing they didn't already have or could get elsewhere. He wasn't good enough to be on the top 2 lines, and he is useless on the bottom 2 lines. /shrug

I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for me, because I want the Pens to win and they won't.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Scott wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:

Really? Who was he playing with in Calgary. Moreover you must be the only person that has witnessed Iginla taking regular shifts with Crosby spanning more than twice a game. How much time did he get to play with Sid who makes everyone better.

Did you even watch the Islanders series? Iginla played on Crosby's line for Games 4-6 and for Game 1 of the Ottawa series. He didn't really make much of a difference either way, which is why Bylsma moved him off.

You must be the only person who can't see that Iginla now is a shell of his former self.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:

I'm not sure if there's sarcasm in this post or not, but that still translates to a 23 goal pace over a full season, which is not superstar material, but still quality support player. And that's what he was brought in to be.

I thought it was overkill with both Morrow and Iginla. Both have been misused though, so its disappointing to see the potential and the assets go down the drain. That's what you get for putting together a dream team though...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:46 pm

pcm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:

I'm not sure if there's sarcasm in this post or not, but that still translates to a 23 goal pace over a full season, which is not superstar material, but still quality support player. And that's what he was brought in to be.

The thing is, people were expecting a 35-40 goal scorer when we picked him up because "OMG PLAYING WITH MALKIN OR SID!!!!".

He played with both. His production didn't change.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 am

MRandall25 wrote:Did you even watch the Islanders series? Iginla played on Crosby's line for Games 4-6 and for Game 1 of the Ottawa series. He didn't really make much of a difference either way, which is why Bylsma moved him off.

You must be the only person who can't see that Iginla now is a shell of his former self.

I'm not talking about those handful of shifts that he was allocated by the head coach. Playing a legit right wing with crosby every shift for multiple games....

it has yet to happen. I have no idea what on earth you are watching. Iginla has not played one full game since being a Penguin where he was Crosby's right winger. Not one!

You need to go coach some sports and then maybe..just maybe you will stop apologizing for Dan Bylsma every chance you get. He has been given beyond the benefit of the doubt for years here. This year is by all means a put up or shut up year for Bylsma. No excuses this year with injuries or lack of material.

Are you going to be ok when he is dismissed should the Pens not pull a miracle in this series and also move on to winning it all?

I wish it wouldn't happen and I wish he would get off his high horse and COACH to win the game and whatever that may entail. But no, what we have is Dan's way or no way. No schemes, no adjustments, and certainly NO control over his own players.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 am

MRandall25 wrote:The thing is, people were expecting a 35-40 goal scorer when we picked him up because "OMG PLAYING WITH MALKIN OR SID!!!!".

He played with both. His production didn't change.

People didn't expect that. What they expected was to get a player who was used in a role that he would thrive in. Like playing the same position he has for all of his career. Right wing.

He has played with Malkin nearly exclusively but played with him on the left wing. In case you didn't know there is a lot more to hockey and the positions than just scoring goals. Outlet passes can be problematic because he has taken the pass from the right wing side for the last 15 plus years and now has to take it from the left wing side.

All this garabge aside I'm still not certain Crosby hasn't had a big influence on Iginla not being moved to the top line with him. Or rather to not break up the Kunitz Crosby Dupuis line.

Regardless Bylsma has handled the Penguins in the playoffs in terrible fashion for every year but one post Cup. I give him a pass on the year we lost to the Lightning because of the key injuries we had in that series and overall lack of material. Even then though he was still up 3 games to 1 against a not very good Lightning team.

His newness, and fresh system has long been worn out. This is a copycat league and the blue print is out there for how to beat Bylsma hockey. Add in the fact he makes no changes to "HIS WAY" and this is what we have. 1 Stanley cup, and one deep playoff run including this year.

As I said many times, you could get a LGP poster to make some of the ridiculous decisions he has made for a lot less money.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 am

I didn't realize playing 4 games on Crosby's line = "a handful of shifts". I have no clue what you think you're watching, but it's definitely not the Penguins.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 am

MRandall25 wrote:I didn't realize playing 4 games on Crosby's line = "a handful of shifts". I have no clue what you think you're watching, but it's definitely not the Penguins.

Ok dude, put up or shut up time. Tell me one game Crosby and Iginla played the whole game together. I will go back and watch it right now. Please tell me which one it was...since you say there were four times...tell me one...that they shifted together for the whole game. Just one.

You can't because it didn't happen. If Iginla gets two shifts with crosby then he played with crosby for that game..according to you. :roll:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:02 am

Game Logs (I was mistaken, it was only 3 games as opposed to 4):

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030115.HTM : Bylsma officially switched Iginla to Crosby's line in the middle of the 1st period of Game 5 of the Islanders series. At 12:48 of the 1st, the line of 9-87-12 makes it's first appearance of the playoffs. That line remains unchanged for the rest of the game, save for a few seconds of 10-87-14 after the expiration of penalties. Iginla's stat line: 0-1-1, getting an assist on the goal which Crosby split the D.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030116.HTM : Story is the same for Game 6. 9-87-12 is the line for the vast majority of the game except for a few recorded events during shift changes. Iginla had 1-0-1, getting a garbage goal from a rebound on a Sidney Crosby pseudo-breakaway.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030211.HTM : Game 1 vs. Ottawa. Again, 9-87-12 starts the game and stays together until the 3rd period, where the lines are switched back to 9-87-14 in a 3-1 game. Iginla had 0-1-1 with his assist coming on Chris Kunitz's PP goal at 18:33 of the 2nd period.

So basically 3 games they played together (I was mistaken). Iginla put up 1-2-3. The games prior (games 1-4 of the Islanders series), where he was on the 18-71-12 line, he was 1-6-7. Aside from his 2 goals against the Senators in Game 4 (one of which was scored on the powerplay), he has not recorded any points since Game 1 of the Ottawa series, and his playing time has varied between 10:09 in Game 5 of the Senators series to 18:32 in Game 5 of the Islanders series (not counting the 3 or 4 games that went to OT.

The stats are linked. It wasn't "just a few shifts". He played 3 full games with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis, but his best performances came on the 18-71-12 line.

In summation, Jarome Iginla played 3 games with Sidney Crosby and scored 3 points. Prior to that, he scored 7 points in 4 games on Malkin's line. Since then, he's fallen off stat-wise, with only 2 points in the games since Game 1 of the Ottawa series. I don't believe that changing back to Malkin's line is what caused Iginla to suddenly stop scoring, given how he had previously performed with Geno.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 am

Great Scott!

Spoiler:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 am

MRandall25 wrote:Game Logs (I was mistaken, it was only 3 games as opposed to 4):

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030115.HTM : Bylsma officially switched Iginla to Crosby's line in the middle of the 1st period of Game 5 of the Islanders series. At 12:48 of the 1st, the line of 9-87-12 makes it's first appearance of the playoffs. That line remains unchanged for the rest of the game, save for a few seconds of 10-87-14 after the expiration of penalties. Iginla's stat line: 0-1-1, getting an assist on the goal which Crosby split the D.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030116.HTM : Story is the same for Game 6. 9-87-12 is the line for the vast majority of the game except for a few recorded events during shift changes. Iginla had 1-0-1, getting a garbage goal from a rebound on a Sidney Crosby pseudo-breakaway.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 030211.HTM : Game 1 vs. Ottawa. Again, 9-87-12 starts the game and stays together until the 3rd period, where the lines are switched back to 9-87-14 in a 3-1 game. Iginla had 0-1-1 with his assist coming on Chris Kunitz's PP goal at 18:33 of the 2nd period.

So basically 3 games they played together (I was mistaken). Iginla put up 1-2-3. The games prior (games 1-4 of the Islanders series), where he was on the 18-71-12 line, he was 1-6-7. Aside from his 2 goals against the Senators in Game 4 (one of which was scored on the powerplay), he has not recorded any points since Game 1 of the Ottawa series, and his playing time has varied between 10:09 in Game 5 of the Senators series to 18:32 in Game 5 of the Islanders series (not counting the 3 or 4 games that went to OT.

The stats are linked. It wasn't "just a few shifts". He played 3 full games with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis, but his best performances came on the 18-71-12 line.

In summation, Jarome Iginla played 3 games with Sidney Crosby and scored 3 points. Prior to that, he scored 7 points in 4 games on Malkin's line. Since then, he's fallen off stat-wise, with only 2 points in the games since Game 1 of the Ottawa series. I don't believe that changing back to Malkin's line is what caused Iginla to suddenly stop scoring, given how he had previously performed with Geno.

So you're saying that Iginla has been here for 2 months, played 1 full game with Crosby and scored a goal? Yup, sounds like Iggy was given a fair chance to rekindle chemistry on Sid's wing.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 am

Iginla has been skating in cement since he got here. He still has a decent shot, but outside of that he is slow, can't keep up with is linemates and can't win a puck battle to save his life. He would be good on the PP as a trigger man, but for whatever reason they don't put him there.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 am

Yeah, he was on the PP the last game and he lost the puck 2-3 times in a row when we had established ourselves in the zone. Maybe at the point he'd be a little better but his lack of speed there is a concern. He seems to get stripped of the puck rather easily. Him at the point opens the door for short handed attemps (not like Letang doesn't, but still).

I still don't understand NOT making PaulMart the clear cut PP QB. He's excelled at that role when given it. He's 100000000x better than Letang there.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 am

Iggy has been my "favorite player not playing for the Pens" for a long time, so for me it's been great to see him out there in a Pens jersey.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 am

Regardless Bylsma has handled the Penguins in the playoffs in terrible fashion for every year but one post Cup.

Good point and in that season we played Micheal Therians system for the playoff run. Dans system for the past few season causes good regualr season results but doesn't do much in the post season since he can't adjust to other coaches statagies.

In the regular season teams have one or 2 days to prepare for a team and they just go over the basics. You play your system we play ours and see who wins. Sure coaches match up lines and things. In the playoffs coaches study the other team and read and react to what they do. major adjustment can be made, A good coach can find weaknesses and exploit them. Dan B takes a regular season approach to the playoffs which is why he failed.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins