YAWN! The boys deserved a better fate......

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

YAWN! The boys deserved a better fate......

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 am

Say what you will, and by all means rant on about what could have been done, or changed, or who is not playing well. That is more that justified for any Pens fan today.

As for last night (yawn - 4 hrs sleep), the Penguins as a team deserved a better fate, IMO.

What a game. What.....a..........game. I counted 8 shots that went off posts for the Penguins. That save by Vokoun was amazing.

Yet, Tukka Rask is playing at a uber-elite level, and this Boston team has destiny's fortune on their side.

1 to 1 ? Then to lose 2 to 1 in overtime on a great play, great pass, and a shot that barely makes it over our out stretched goalie.

Coulda ? The Penguins could have won that game 5-0.

Shoulda? ........I'll save that for later posts, or let someone else talk about what should have happened here and there.

..... but in the end it didn't happen. But, I cannot say it is not because the Penguins didn't play their collective butts off last night.

What a game!

Looking forward to game 4 even though things look pretty bleak.

Go Pens.
Last edited by Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: YAWN! The boys deserved a better fate......

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 am

That's the problem when you play yourself into a two game hole. You leave yourself that much more prone to bad luck throwing you out of the series.

I expected Letang to suck like he usually does, but I'm tremendously disappointed in Sid. I'm already over this season, but more disappointed than anything else
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

Boston played Detroit like last night, Pens matched it. That was a great game. Just wish we won it.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby vcip on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 am

Sorry I can't agree. I can't believe the mistakes, lazy play, long low % stretch passes (seem desperate to me) inability to make a clearing play under pressure (EVERY TIME) & clulessness on how to score a goal I have seen all 3 games & even last night. I think they played horrible. I think fans are just comparing it to the beyond horrible of game 2.
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 am

Pens brought their game in the 2nd half of this game. I noticed because I was not swearing as much. I really felt that if they could have scored 2 or 3 games in a row, they would have gotten their mojo back.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Pens brought their game in the 2nd half of this game. I noticed because I was not swearing as much. I really felt that if they could have scored 2 or 3 games in a row, they would have gotten their mojo back.

I agree with that.

Since the game was 5 periods long I forgot about the 1st period and 1/2 of the second.

I completely agree ...... maybe if they play as well at the beginning as they did at the end they win 1-0, and I don't sit here and wonder how Niskenen can be so damn soft of a hockey player.

But, back to the point. I remember myself, about 8 min into the second period standing up and saying, "Thank goodness, my team is finally awake!". There was a puck that flipped up into the air, hit an open spot on the ice, and to my shock a Penguin out hustled everyone to the puck. THAT is when this team started to play, playoff hockey.

Too little too late unfortunately.

Still a great game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you didn't like last nights game I think the frustration and stress is not letting you enjoy the sport.....I fall victim to that as well, just sayin' is all.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Pens brought their game in the 2nd half of this game. I noticed because I was not swearing as much. I really felt that if they could have scored 2 or 3 games in a row, they would have gotten their mojo back.

this is 100% right. not sure when it was but the tide started to turn at some point and the Pens were looking like the team that they've been all season. there was even one point in the OT when it looked like Sid had finally woken up. he was too quiet for most of this game but on the play when he lost his helmet he actually started to move and play like the Sid that we're used to seeing. Rask has a horsehoe stuck up his *** right now. he's a good goalie (and if you don't agree then you haven't watched many Bruins games this season) but right now he is playing superhuman. if the Bruins go to the SCF and Rask plays similarly and loses I'd say that he should get the Conn Smyth.
for baseball I'm a Red Sox fan so I believe in the 0-3 comeback. won't be easy but it CAN be done.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am

I went ahead and filed a missing persons report on Crosby and Malkin last night. Don't care how well they 'played,' points are necessary.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am

vcip wrote:Sorry I can't agree. I can't believe the mistakes, lazy play, long low % stretch passes (seem desperate to me) inability to make a clearing play under pressure (EVERY TIME) & clulessness on how to score a goal I have seen all 3 games & even last night. I think they played horrible. I think fans are just comparing it to the beyond horrible of game 2.

As a wise coach told me once:

The other team is allowed to do good things too you know.

I understand the statement but I think a little respect should go to Tukka Rask and his level of play right now. For as "awful" as the Penguins played last night, they could have easily had 5 goals.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 am

Game 2 has been the only stinker. Yeah, the 3rd period in game 1 sucked. Would have been different, I think, if we pot one off the post or missed open nets in that game.

Last night was a great game. The fact it's a 3-0 hole now sucks some life out of it for sure.

I'm usually upset after a Pens loss, but one of the best games I've seen in a while last night.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I went ahead and filed a missing persons report on Crosby and Malkin last night. Don't care how well they 'played,' points are necessary.

So the multiple posts, and scoring chances that Malkin had last night equals a bad game ?

If you are going to call someone out, how about the players that deserve it ? Matt Niskanenen was horrible, and was a joke on the 1st goal. Jerome "Square Peg" Iginla continues to be a passenger and two steps too slow for this team.

How many times is Iginla not going to get the job done on fat, juicy, open net rebound opportunities ?
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I went ahead and filed a missing persons report on Crosby and Malkin last night. Don't care how well they 'played,' points are necessary.

So the multiple posts, and scoring chances that Malkin had last night equals a bad game ?

If you are going to call someone out, how about the players that deserve it ? Matt Niskanenen was horrible, and was a joke on the 1st goal. Jerome "Square Peg" Iginla continues to be a passenger and two steps too slow for this team.

How many times is Iginla not going to get the job done on fat, juicy, open net rebound opportunities ?

Last I checked, posts don't count on the scoresheet. He's paid to produce, in the biggest stage NOBODY is producing. These guys however are looked to as the two that should be doing it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Rugbymuffin wrote:

Last I checked, posts don't count on the scoresheet. He's paid to produce, in the biggest stage NOBODY is producing. These guys however are looked to as the two that should be doing it.

No doubt. No doubt about it at all.

I can have sympathy, but there is no denying the job is not getting done.

Good game, Bad game ..... in the end, you gotta win the game.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:05 am

i don't think we "deserved" any better. one could argue the bruins deserved the win after the first OT. ultimately, i feel it was a coin toss situation. it was a more evenly played game than is being portrayed.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 am

shmenguin wrote:i don't think we "deserved" any better. one could argue the bruins deserved the win after the first OT. ultimately, i feel it was a coin toss situation. it was a more evenly played game than is being portrayed.

How is it being portrayed.

I thought it was an even game.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't think we "deserved" any better. one could argue the bruins deserved the win after the first OT. ultimately, i feel it was a coin toss situation. it was a more evenly played game than is being portrayed.

well, for instance, this thread is claiming that we deserved a win. i don't really think so. it's also being portrayed as a good team effort - which i don't really understand.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:30 am

shmenguin wrote:
Rugbymuffin wrote:

well, for instance, this thread is claiming that we deserved a win. i don't really think so. it's also being portrayed as a good team effort - which i don't really understand.

To each his own.

Yep, both claimed, and I stand by both, JMHO.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 am

Deserves got nothing to do with it
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 am

.thanks William Munny!!!!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Deserves got nothing to do with it

Obviously.

We still lost the game just like Little Bill still got his face blown off.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby vcip on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Rugbymuffin wrote:
vcip wrote:Sorry I can't agree. I can't believe the mistakes, lazy play, long low % stretch passes (seem desperate to me) inability to make a clearing play under pressure (EVERY TIME) & clulessness on how to score a goal I have seen all 3 games & even last night. I think they played horrible. I think fans are just comparing it to the beyond horrible of game 2.

As a wise coach told me once:

The other team is allowed to do good things too you know.

I understand the statement but I think a little respect should go to Tukka Rask and his level of play right now. For as "awful" as the Penguins played last night, they could have easily had 5 goals.

Yes ...good point. I guess I am just frustrated & it just looks to me they are so screwed up over this goalie they don't have a clue how to get a goal on him
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Deserves got nothing to do with it
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins