From Conn Smythe to con man

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

From Conn Smythe to con man

Postby The Current One on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

How did Sid go from a Conn Smythe candidate thru two rounds, to completely invisible against the Bruins? Credit Boston for playing a sound defensive system, but no points through three games? Sorry, but there's no excuse. Rask is good, but for the best player in the world, this is a choke job, pure and simple. And, not only is he not scoring, but he looks completely lost at times.

Perhaps we'll learn that he's playing with an injury after the series is over, but for all his accomplishments, to go out this way is inexcusable.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: From Conn Smythe to con man

Postby dollartaco on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

Disappointing, sure. But inexcusable? What?
dollartaco
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 am

I assume that he has an undisclosed injury and has been playing a bit scared re: his jaw.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 am

Ever since he took that shot off of the foot in the Isles series I havent seen him skate with speed worth a damn. No push or anything.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby E-Ramone on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:18 am

Sid really looks to be playing hurt. Especially when you think about how tenacious he typically is with or without the puck. I guess we may find out eventually.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am

He lost his burst of speed and seemed out of sorts this whole series. He is fumbling the puck and just doesn't look himself.
It's eithor he's hurt or he burnt himself out and is just exhausted.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 am

SoupOrSam wrote:Ever since he took that shot off of the foot in the Isles series I havent seen him skate with speed worth a damn. No push or anything.

he had plenty of push against ottawa. he's getting targeted by talented defensemen and can't adjust. like in the 2008 finals, 2009 finals and the 2010 habs series. sid's playoff abilities are definitely on trial right now. point to a series where we've played a tight defensive team, and he hasn't looked junky. it's not a fun notion, but i don't see how it's not on the radar.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

....remember there are 5 guys out on the ice whose sole purpose is to shut him down, and with his linemates doing squat to help it isn't that hard a task, as great as Sid is he can be shut down by a 5 man unit smothering him, if Dupuis or Kunitz were anything close to playing like they did in the regular season we wouldn't be talking about this, so let's give Boston credit, they shut him down and no one on the rest of the roster stepped up........
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 am

I thought this was going to be about Malkin.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:16 am

shmenguin wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:Ever since he took that shot off of the foot in the Isles series I havent seen him skate with speed worth a damn. No push or anything.

he had plenty of push against ottawa. he's getting targeted by talented defensemen and can't adjust. like in the 2008 finals, 2009 finals and the 2010 habs series. sid's playoff abilities are definitely on trial right now. point to a series where we've played a tight defensive team, and he hasn't looked junky. it's not a fun notion, but i don't see how it's not on the radar.

you can attribute his offensive failures against defensive systems to the coaching though. i see what you're saying, but when PLAN A isn't working and there is no PLAN B in place except "you have to do PLAN A better" against these systems there's a bit of room for debate. i do agree that it is surely a talking point, no doubt about it.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am

He's been terrible. If he's hurt and it's affecting his play this much, then he needs to sit. Some of these decisions and passes really have nothing to do with being hurt though.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 am

He had some jump after his helmet got knocked off. Not sure what that means, but
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

pfim wrote:He's been terrible. If he's hurt and it's affecting his play this much, then he needs to sit. Some of these decisions and passes really have nothing to do with being hurt though.

i don't think he want's to change how he plays. which, against boston or any good defensive team, means he's forcing things at all times. there are some implications of entitlement here that fit in with the history of temper tantrums when things start going south.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 am

meecrofilm wrote:He had some jump after his helmet got knocked off. Not sure what that means, but

but why did he go back to playing like normal Sid when his helmet got knocked off. We've only seen glimpses of that at times.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am

That's what I mean. It's like it took -that- to wake him up? Not sure.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am

....Sid is a great talent, but I always thought he's more linemate dependant than Malkin, even when Sid goes thru 4 defenders it looks more like he thinks the angles of his rush more than doing it on pure physical talent than Malkin, or someone like Lemieux. It's like Sid looks at it like if I do this to get player A to do this, then I can do this to player B and C and get free , where Geno/Mario let the defense come to him and thru sheer physical ability gets thru them.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ScottishPenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:39 am

since1970 wrote:....remember there are 5 guys out on the ice whose sole purpose is to shut him down, and with his linemates doing squat to help it isn't that hard a task, as great as Sid is he can be shut down by a 5 man unit smothering him, if Dupuis or Kunitz were anything close to playing like they did in the regular season we wouldn't be talking about this, so let's give Boston credit, they shut him down and no one on the rest of the roster stepped up........

This sums up my thoughts quite nicely.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 am

if kunitz doesnt whiff on that centering pass on the one PP, they win that game. its a cooperative bedwetting. shameful really. this is what happens when you play cupcakes and then are matched against a galvanized playoff-built squad that has built confidence through their first two rounds.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bathgate on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:11 am

It's highly likely that a new injury and/or issues related to the broken jaw have caught up with him. Otherwise, his bumbling play makes no sense. It looks like injuries to Crosby have cost us another Cup chance, possibly for the third year in a row.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:14 am

Sid has not looked as bad as he looked last night since he was still foggy in the head from his concussion issues. My best explanation is that there was some mind control device in his helmet. I don't know how else to explain the fact that he looked completely normal for all of 12 seconds last night when he lost his helmet. Very, very weird. I can't see how its injury related unless his head is messed up (again).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 am

This is why a Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis line doesn't work so well when you have a team focused on shutting Sid down. You send 3 guys on Sid, Kunitz and Dupuis will fall over their skate laces trying to generate offense by themselves.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 am

....why does he have to be injured?? Is it impossible he's being shut down by stifling defense and linemates who couldn't put a beachball in the ocean, sometimes it is exactly what you see happening that cause a great player to become average. I still go back to the first two games when Bylsma did nothing to get him free. I posted it before, our genius basically gave the Bruins 4 straight home ice advantages (with line changes) and they took the opportunity and ran with it. Coaching like that should get you fired.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 am

canaan wrote:if kunitz doesnt whiff on that centering pass on the one PP, they win that game. its a cooperative bedwetting. shameful really. this is what happens when you play cupcakes and then are matched against a galvanized playoff-built squad that has built confidence through their first two rounds.

I don't know, perhaps he should have done better, but that was a terrible pass to a left-shooting player.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

This is not about not showing up on the scoresheet. If you watch the Pens and you watched last night, Sid looked like he was playing in a total fog. Not like he was being checked tightly, like he was sick, concussed, or disinterested. I sure hope its the first.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am

Patrice Bergeron happened.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins